post a very raer record on a major label

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2018 in Music Talk
Incredibly amateur sounding R&B ballad...I love it, almost has an outsider vibe to it...would love to get an uptempo side from them, if one exsists

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Obvious choice, but:

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    sexy coffee pot and twink think pink

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• cardovacardova 743 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

What is this? The print on the cover is unreadable.

• What is this? The print on the cover is unreadable.

Peter Tessier "By Turning a Knob"

The Peter Tessier is Canadian on the Columbia label and seems to never, ever turn up. I'd love a copy. Maybe I'll find one. It has yet to be reissued.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ill wind - flashes
    dennis coffee - theme from blackbelt jones

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The Common People - Of The People / For the People / By The People (Capitol)

How ironic.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    One of the rarest has to be that weird birthday rap 12" on A&M that was used for placemats (or party favors?) at some A&R's b-day bash... Under 100 made, most trashed within hours...

• ill wind - flashes

I just recently found a minty copy of this (last week), Pretty lovely!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ill wind - flashes

This record is relatively common in Boston (where the band was from)

Brothers Unlimited on Capitol

The Remains on Epic

Willie Tee on Capitol

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Ill Wind and Common People are hard to find but not what I would call rare.

I haven't checked but I'd guess that at least 20 of each have sold on Ebay over the last 2 years.

Lots of major label 45's are rare as hell, but as far as LP's go this one is truly rare.

Spirit & Worm on A&M

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    La Clave on Verve.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    maybe not mega raer but still pretty scarce especially for being on Capitol.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    La Clave on Verve.

I had a really weird experience last week: I was driving to a spot and all of a sudden I thought "it would be really cool if I found La Clave." About 10 minutes later I did - really clean and $4.

The Remains on Epic

I'm not saying I see it around or anything, but is it that much more rare than other major label garage LPs with a hit or two? Is this not something you could get for under $100 if you really wanted to?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dudes La Frickin' CLAVE??

We are talking about rare here.

Not albums that used to litter cutout bins that at one point were $30 and now fetch $60 or better.

I mean, talk about some withdrawn shit, promo only, distributorship burned down...

Not records that are on ebay every month or two.

[/rant]

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    jon lucien- "rashida" mini ep on RCA

The Remains on Epic

I'm not saying I see it around or anything, but is it that much more rare than other major label garage LPs with a hit or two? Is this not something you could get for under $100 if you really wanted to?

I've seen 3 copies in the last 5 years. 2 were trashed and
    the sellers wanted over $100 ... the other was clean and $300.
    I live in Boston, where - outside of maybe NYC - it would be most
    common, and you just don't ever see it. I think it's a hell of a lot
    more rare than most other major label garage LP's.

• The raerest???

I have to agree with Paycheck. Even the "It's All Meat" album on Columbia, while a $400-800 record (according to popsike) has turned up decently in the last 4 years. Same goes for Painted Ship on London.

Here is one. Only released in Canada through the Capitol 6000 series, in a limited release. No American release, despite it being an American band. I found a sleeve of this with no record

Wasn't the Frank Wilson only an acetate?

I was under the impression any "real" pressings of it
    came after the acetate had been played on the NS scene
    and blew up, creating demand for it ... ?

• Wasn't the Frank Wilson only an acetate?

I was under the impression that the one that sold for 15,000UKP was one of only a few issue copies (the bulk having been destroyed).

This from the site where I got the scan:

First found by Motown researcher and historian Tom Dieperro while working for the label in the 70's, the disc was in unplayed condition when he received it as research material from the company for some future project, as such the record was put aside, that was until famous (infamous) Record dealer and producer Simon Soussan met up with Tom, Both having a love of Detroit soul Tom gave a stack of obscure 45,s for Simon to listen to, well Simon was Blown away by "Do i love you" and in no time it was covered up as Eddie foster and acetates were soon winging their way to UK DJ's...well the rest is well known, it went massive becoming a Northern classic. the real identity only becoming know in 1978 when Simon sold his collection, Question did Tom ever give Simon the record or is it still on loan ??????

So how did Kenny Burrell get it ?

Simon sold his collection to Les McCutcheon (Shakatak etc) including the Frank Wilson, at first when it became know what had happened and the news filtered through the scene it seems that the fact Les was not in the inclowd the discovery was somehow ignored or given short shrift (nothings changed there then) anyway for unclear reasons Les sold the 45 to

Jonathan Woodcliffe a Notts DJ quite well known in his day, I think he has something going on in the Southport scene today, Nothing is known about the time Jonathan owned the disk, he sold the record to Kev Roberts who owned the record for 11 years until he sold it to his business partner Tim Brown for ??5000 a then world record.....but not for long...enter stage left Mr. Kenny Burrell clutching his ??15,000

Wasn't the Frank Wilson only an acetate?

I was under the impression that the one that sold for 15,000UKP was one of only a few issue copies (the bulk having been destroyed).

At some point I'd read that Barry Gordy really diddn't want to let Wilson crossover from producer/arranger/writer to artist and let thte single go as far as getting pressed before convincing Frank it was a bad idea... at which point they tossed the lot.

There's that 45 Stax did to commemorate a certain DJ or whatever... I forget the artist/title but I think it was an instrumental done as a minute pressing that was given away or something.

They also had that promo-only "Stay in School" comp LP which was supposedly limited to 200 (hard to believe the pressing is that tiny - especially since I've handled one - but considering the loot it goes for...)

The Remains on Epic

I've seen 3 copies in the last 5 years. 2 were trashed and
    the sellers wanted over $100 ... the other was clean and $300.
    I live in Boston, where - outside of maybe NYC - it would be most
    common, and you just don't ever see it. I think it's a hell of a lot
    more rare than most other major label garage LP's.

popsike says its usually in the $100-200 range... it doesn't really surprise me but a lot of that old rock stuff I haven't checked prices on in 8-12 years (when I was trying to hunt that stuff down) and most of the good stuff has appreciated in that time...

I'll have to settle for my half-beat copy that came in a Marianne Faithful sleeve

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Do Stax & Motown qualify as major labels?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    There's that 45 Stax did to commemorate a certain DJ or whatever... I forget the artist/title but I think it was an instrumental done as a minute pressing that was given away or something.

They also had that promo-only "Stay in School" comp LP which was supposedly limited to 200 (hard to believe the pressing is that tiny - especially since I've handled one - but considering the loot it goes for...)

we have a mint copy of the "Stay in School" here at the shop...we have $500 on it if anyone is interested...

The 45 you are thinking about is the Memphis Nomads, a box of which was just turned up...a shop here in town, that turned up the box is selling them for $50 a pop I think...not bad for such a rare record...not a very good record however...