Dear SoulonIce - HR

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A*****************h!

I realized you addressed this thread to me and I never
    even said what's up, just started jawing about the Habs!

Can't say I'm sorry to see the Leafs lose, the media were
    playing it up like it was do-or-die for Toronto in this game
    as far as playoffs go, but truth is their playoff hopes were at best
    a long shot

Hi!!

And that's that. The long shot just turned into an ice cream's chance in hell. I mean, really, they're not good enough and it would just be prolonging the agony - I could not see it ending well even if they did get in. I want Toronto to win one of these years, but this isn't the team.

Yeah, that crosscheck was raw. Very much blatant, too. The refs were on us all game for everything, so it was extra peculiar for that to go unnoticed.

It gets worse: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view.bg?articleid=1082939&srvc=bruins&position=2

Not even a B's/Habs thing, more just disgusted with the
    NHL and referees in particular - how can somebody crosscheck
    a player hard enough to BREAK THEIR BACK and not even get a
    2 minute minor penalty? Sometimes this league is a real joke.

I hate The National Post, but this editorial hits it on the head imo.

"What Jonathan Roy did wasn???t wrong because it was violent. It was wrong because it wasn???t hockey"
    Posted: March 25, 2008, 3:29 PM
    Colby Cosh
    What Jonathan Roy did was disgusting. The way some people are using what Jonathan Roy did is almost equally disgusting.

In the midst of a playoff game Saturday night, Mr. Roy, the goaltender for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League???s Quebec Remparts, skated the length of the ice to hang a savage pummelling on his unwilling opposite number, the Chicoutimi Saguen??ens??? Bobby Nadeau. The incident has already launched a thousand tiresome condemnations of ???hockey violence??? penned, almost inevitably, by non-fans ??? editorialists who don???t really like sports, or columnists who consider hockey a mystifying, unpleasant, d??class?? sideshow.

Hockey is violent ??? inherently violent. Much of the violence that is quasi-tolerated in the game exists in order to provide an alternative to the kind that cannot be permitted, the violence of the stick and the skate. Even those who count toughness and occasional bloodiness among the sport???s merits know that what young Mr. Roy did was grotesquely wrong. It wasn???t wrong because it was violent: It was wrong because it wasn???t hockey.

Video footage taken as the Remparts and Saguen??ens skaters tussled shows Mr. Roy skating lazily to centre ice and gesturing in the direction of Mr. Nadeau, who refused ??? in accordance with the rules ??? to leave his own net. A linesman restrains Mr. Roy as his apparent shouts and body language become more vigorous. Later, when the official is forced to leave Mr. Roy and go to the aid of another player who is losing a one-on-one fight badly, we see the unaccompanied Mr. Roy crossing centre ice and charging Nadeau, who relaxes against his crossbar. (Witnesses say Mr. Roy was given a ???go??? signal, which appears in footage taken from another camera, by his head coach and father, Hall of Fame goalie Patrick Roy.) Mr. Roy tears Nadeau???s mask off and launches a frenzied assault on the opposing goalie???s head as Nadeau desperately turtles.

It is stomach-churning stuff, but one can only know how much so if one is familiar with hockey.

The casual observer could be easily fooled into thinking such things happen all the time. Goaltenders are specifically forbidden to leave the crease during fights, on pain of a fine for misconduct, but it is not uncommon for them to do so during an all-out brawl. Usually they will stand close together, or tie up each other???s arms half-heartedly, in order to guarantee that neither one makes the general affray a six-on-five affair. Sometimes, by mutual agreement, they will actually fight with fists and make it six-on-six. Patrick Roy was famous for this, engaging in memorable duels with Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood. But this behaviour is rare and unexpected (and, indeed, something of a special occasion for the fans), because fighting is not part of a typical goaltender???s hockey education.

Never does one see a goalie attack another goalie who has refused to leave his crease. Hockey follows the old common-law rule of volenti non fit injuria: Willing participants cannot claim to be victims. That???s how ???Wanna go???? has become a universally recognized Canadianism ??? a phrase whose meaning even Swedes, Finns and Russians know.

An attack on an unwilling bystander, however, is ordinary assault, no different in nature than it would be on the street. Being jumped and pummelled when you are threatening no aggression is absent from the list of risks that one voluntarily accepts as a hockey goaltender.

And now Jonathan Roy is claiming he acted wrongly in the heat of uncontrolled competitive passion, driven by ???adrenaline and frustration???. Are we to believe that generations of goalies who never behaved this way were merely lacking this particular lad???s magnificent gamesmanship? Balderdash. The seven-game suspension Roy received yesterday ??? a severe penalty in the midst of a playoff tournament, but scarcely draconian when one considers that Roy also flipped off the Chicoutimi fans after his attack on Nadeau ??? should have been doubled for pathological narcissism. And father Patrick???s five-game penalty makes the QMJHL look rather as though it is afraid to come down too hard on its most famous owner-coach.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Slight shift in gears - Did you hear Richard Widmark passed away? He was so good, even in his later years. Enough dudes these days need to take a page from his book in the style and skills departments. Full life and career still.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    RE:Widmark
    No, I hadn't heard that. Sad news although I tend to be surprised when
    I find out these people were still alive! He was great, certainly had
    the ability to appear unhinged. Pickup On South Street is an
    all-time classic. I could only find one soundbite from him in my
    cache, but it's a good one:

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    When I saw the Roy JR thing, which is on TV pretty much non-stop here, I was reminded of this:

That kid got a lifetime ban from the OHL. Roy is luck to only get 7 games.

Which dude got the ban?

Jeff Kugel. I don't know if he's still in hockey. The way that Roy JR was skating after people, looking to fight everyone on the ice reminded me of that Kugel thing, except Kugel was gone for life & Roy 7 games. The police are investigating this now. Things could get hotter for the kid.

• my teams in the cellar so not much to say there lol

as much as i like seeing a good ol fashioned broohaha, the unwritten rule of fighting an unwilling oponnent was broken. the suspension is fair imo, but could be worse.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts

after yeaaaaaarrrrrssssss of depression things are finally lookin up for my team.

Roy, and his family, need to be barred from hockey. maybe i missed it but noone has mentioned how Roy sent junior after the other goalie via a hand gesture. no class.
    hope he stubs his toe on the way to the fridge.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    RE:Widmark
    No, I hadn't heard that. Sad news although I tend to be surprised when
    I find out these people were still alive! He was great, certainly had
    the ability to appear unhinged. Pickup On South Street is an
    all-time classic. I could only find one soundbite from him in my
    cache, but it's a good one:

Sorry to continue the hijack, but that sucks. I just saw Pickup on South Street and No Way Out for the first time, and had just put some more Widmark movies in my Netflix queue when I read this.

Excellent actor.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    (even though, at that point, i was still a Nordiques fan).

A Nordiques fan, becoming a Habs fan?

or ???

At the game the other night, it was Glen Murray's 1,000th
    game, and they had a trivia question on the scoreboard during
    one break, "What Team Did Murray Score His First Goal Against?"
    with 3 answers to choose from, A) Canadiens B) Penguins or
    C) Nordiques, which was the answer. People were shouting out
    answers and I stood up and yelled "the REAL hockey team from
    Quebec!!" which actually got some laughs from Habs fans.
    I miss le fleur de lys!

That was good hockey team at that time (Sundin, Sakic, should of been Lindros, killer defencemen). Handed Colorado a cup.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what a game tonight (end of a..)

go habs go

go habs go

Ugh - I was actually rooting for you. I feel unclean.

Why couldn't you have beat them in regulation?

You may have killed them off anyway - now Florida
    just really NEEDS to find the effort to beat Washington.

... although a Caps/Habs 1st round would be

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Habs // Caps is what i want so badly.
    In a twisted way, i want Ovechkin to light us up, and Huet play real big...

But really, the Habs are Frickin' wild right now. It's a beautiful thing.
    in the last 10 years this team has gone through weird stages that have almost all sucked. Time cycles. Everything is looking up right now.
    I've said it for years, Markov is the best (exag-ish) defenceman in the league. And he will be for years.

We beat the tar out of the (dirty) Sens today, that makes 3
    wins in a row since Savard went down ... the boys are playing
    with a TON of heart, and the playoffs are looking closer with
    every shift. My ideal scenario has the Caps knocking those
    scumbag Flyers out of the playoffs, facing the Habs in a brutal
    7-game series, and the B's get the 6th seed and face Carolina
    in the first round, New Jersey or Pittsburgh in the second ...

... but I'm getting ahead of myself, first we have to make it in!

Sorry to hear about Koivu, good thing he's not so vital to your
    team these days, I guess. Nice comeback last night against Buffalo!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Habs clinch division title with a beating of the Sens!
    fuck we looked good last night, even with a banged-up team.

Caps are still in the hunt!

I love this game.

Yah! Bruins clinch playoffs for first time since the lockout!

Hockey News picked us for last place!

TSN picked us for last place!

Nobody gave us a prayer, and without our 2 best forwards
    we made it to the big dance ... I can breathe again at last!

... now just let us face ANYONE except those damn Canadiens!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Ovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvyyyyyyyyy!

Caps need a win or OT win/loss tommorow to secure a spot in the playoffs. if this happens, ovy's performance is one of the most legendary seasons ever. i think he's got like 11 GWs.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    capitals are in!!!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Can't stand Patrick Roy. Key things that stand out include...

1. Last game for Montreal where Detroit scored 11-goals on him. He refused to ever play for Montreal again.

2. Mike Vernon beat his ass.

3. Chris Osgood did the same.

Just watched Montreal beat Toronto with a viscious slash by McCabe at the end of the game.

Washington just made it!

Oh yeah...go Red Wings...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

1. Last game for Montreal where Detroit scored 11-goals on him. He refused to ever play for Montreal again.

That's funny, because it's not like it matters which team he plays for when it comes to Detroit exploiting his weaknesses (remember 2002?).

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    SOI: looks like we got the caps in and the canes out. perfect.
    I'm almost scared of playing the Bruins because you're so overdue against us.
    But not really. Chara, get ready for some boooooos.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I guess I'll start watching hockey again after finding out my Penguins finished first.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i hate McCabe. What a beautiful way to end the season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwX5udID13M

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

Because your team played like they knew the outcome. Love the rivalry my friend (met 30+ times in the playoffs!), but you don't have long.

I can't fuck with Montreal fans right now.

You guys are just loving it all and it scares me
    how upset I get watching these games. Over and over.

I hate losing to Montreal 10,000x more than any other team.

IT HURTS.

HELP US PATRICE BERGERON - YOU ARE OUR ONLY HOPE

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    You're as defeated as your team - calling out for players you don't have. Maybe, like an overweighted road hockey team, we can give you one of the brothers. All this besides the fact you're wishing for the return of your Quebec-born player. Heckling/first-hand accounts of your personal life hurt more in your mother tongue.

0-6

You guys gotta starting muscling-up much like Calgary is in the San Jose series. You're too slow a team to do anything else.

Olay Olayolayolay Olay Olay Olay Olayolayolay Olay Olay

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

back in the 80's and 90's the only team i hated as much as the lakers and the yankees were the canadiens. serious hate for that team outta boston.

You're as defeated as your team - calling out for players you don't have. Maybe, like an overweighted road hockey team, we can give you one of the brothers. All this besides the fact you're wishing for the return of your Quebec-born player. Heckling/first-hand accounts of your personal life hurt more in your mother tongue.

0-6

You guys gotta starting muscling-up much like Calgary is in the San Jose series. You're too slow a team to do anything else.

Olay Olayolayolay Olay Olay Olay Olayolayolay Olay Olay

Yeah, see - this is why I hate Habs fans.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

back in the 80's and 90's the only team i hated as much as the lakers and the yankees were the canadiens. serious hate for that team outta boston.

Let me guess, you must hate championships? Insert Boston for the Lakes and you have the three most successful teams in their respective sport.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I don't think the habs are that good of a team. Given their lineup, the wheels could fall of any time. They'll get blown out, probably in 4 games, at some point in these playoffs. I know, I know, the habs had a great year, but that doesn't mean anything in the playoffs or the Sens would have 3 cups by now. Even against a habs team that is kinda ripe for the taking, Boston doesn't have much of a chance. They need a change of ownership, like in Chicago. I mean, look at what they've let go for nothing. Not that Joe Thornton is Crosby, but getting a bag of pucks for a player like that is heartbreaking.