The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• johnny,its time for you to walk down to city college and sign up to teach a course on this shit.

gotta say,lester and sydnor are getting a lot of props from where i sit. mcnulty was always a loose cannon...but they arent and still are risking big big to take down those responsible for the 22+ bodies. lester is going all out now, apparently bout to bluff claydavis around. love it. get the job done.props.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    finally got to watch 58. damn.

after reading comments in this thread having just watched it, it occurred to me that succumbing to passion seems to be the link that is undoing everyone in this season.

Omar got obsessed with Marlo to the point of being sloppy.

McNulty got obsessed with Marlo to the point of fabricating a steaming pile of shit. This thread is loosely based on the story in life on the street about the cop who got obsessed about the guy who raped and murdered an 11yo girl irl right? It's the murder cases that are McNultys kryptonite. I can't see McNulty living through this series.

Whatshisface got obsessed with making his journalism career so he started making shit up for his stories which is gonna fuck him up no doubt.

Bunk and Kima have exercised self control and have mostly stayed out of the limelight.

Marlo himself got obsessed with power which has ultimately led to him being exposed for the first time ever. He was always a ghost until he went Borg on Prop Joe and his contact with Levy started things rolling.

Lester obviously has the same furnace inside him that McNutty has but he seems to be able to control his demons and stay focused.

And, ironically, everyone keeps coming back to the point that Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances is what undid 4 glorious years of consummate television with this kinda tepid series.. ehh, I've still eagerly watched every episode regardless. I've still got faith that this shit will end nicely (badly)

RIP Omar.

And you should add Carcetti's new obsession with being governor. In 58 he blew off his wife to watch himself and rant about what he has to do for others to get to be the headman.

• jp, for your college course, theres gotta be some time to look at name significance:

lester freeman
    omar little
    marlo (sounds kinda similar to omar too)
    partlow

this a stretch?

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Isn't it Freamon?

• And, ironically, everyone keeps coming back to the point that Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances is what undid 4 glorious years of consummate television with this kinda tepid series.. ehh, I've still eagerly watched every episode regardless. I've still got faith that this shit will end nicely (badly)

RIP Omar.

I think I'm the only one who has argued that in this thread.

and sure, I still watch every episode eagerly. this was/is after all the best show on television.

so what are your feelings on Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances?

• Ed Simon's apparent obsession

so what are your feelings on Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances?

dudes, sorry to get all nerdy on you, but David Simon and Ed Burns have not formed like Voltron.

• what's the point of the storyline about the guy at the newspaper making up sources? this is like half of every show and I don't give the slightest sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiitttttttttttt......

• what's the point of the storyline about the guy at the newspaper making up sources? this is like half of every show and I don't give the slightest sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiitttttttttttt......

Is that even a valid question? I suppose the point is that Simon wants to portray how, in The Newsroom, people are taking the same shorts to get ahead just like everywhere else (the street, the classroom, the cops, city hall). And, as the overarching theme of the show goes, you try to do more with less and it ends up biting you in the ass. The assholes win.

That's beside the fact that there have been several well-documented fiascoes revolving around made-up news reporting in the last several years.

• I was saddened to see Omar's demise. I was actually sad about it, but I saw it coming. As soon as the bell jingled on the convenience store's door and he looked to see who it was you knew something was going down.

To those that feel like Omar shouldn't have gone out like that...it was so fitting. Dude was hobbling around, very slowly, and he was still getting over on people. That scene where he rolls up on the corner kids and then counts the 4th door and says "I know you're in there." The thing about tv is that scenes cut. You see him take those fools and dump their drugs, but by the time he hits the corner (actual corner, end of the block) it cuts to a different scene. They are not living on a back lot, the streets keep going. How are we supposed to believe that he could hobble his way out of that area unharmed. In that scene I just kept thinking "why doesn't some dude just roll out the back door, go around the corner and surprise him when he turns the corner with a bullet to the head?" You'd think some dumb dude would pull a suicide mission and try to roll up and hit him in the head.

You'd think that since there is a bounty on his head that someone would make a ballsy effort to follow dude for at least 3 blocks.

The way I saw the Lester and Clay scene was more like a last ditch effort for Lester to stick it to Clay. I think he realized that he wasn't getting support from the higher ups in the court and he just wanted to put a little fear into Clay. just fuck with him. You could see it on Clay's face that he was disturbed by it. Maybe it will lead to more, but with only two episodes left I'm guessing it was more of a "I know what you're doing" scare tactic with a false threat of going to a higher court (which he was already denied). Isn't Clay really just a side interest for Lester anyways. He's more concerned about bodies, but happened to stumble upon all this info in the meantime.

As for the Omar graemlin, I'd like to make one, but all the pasue shit seems kind of lame to me. It's like you all love him and think he's great and are calling him a f*g at the same time. I don't want this thread to spiral out of control over this (and some dude will inevitably say some dumb shit like "you like dudes?"...I'm engaged to a female), but I doubt I'll make a graemlin that is homophobic. The pasue button is funny and it comes in handy for oddly worded phrases, but what's so pasue about Omar. He's gay, but there is no pause moment involved. besides actually being involved with men sexually, Omar (as far as I can remember) has not had any pasue moments on that show. It's not like Marlo's name is Richard and Omar is roaming the streets saying "yo, I'm looking for Dick. Tell your peoples that Omar been here looking for Dick." That's pasue.

Ok, carry on. Please don't turn that last part into 5 pages of follow up.

• As for the Omar graemlin, I'd like to make one, but all the pasue shit seems kind of lame to me. It's like you all love him and think he's great and are calling him a f*g at the same time. I don't want this thread to spiral out of control over this (and some dude will inevitably say some dumb shit like "you like dudes?"...I'm engaged to a female), but I doubt I'll make a graemlin that is homophobic. The pasue button is funny and it comes in handy for oddly worded phrases, but what's so pasue about Omar. He's gay, but there is no pause moment involved. besides actually being involved with men sexually, Omar (as far as I can remember) has not had any pasue moments on that show. It's not like Marlo's name is Richard and Omar is roaming the streets saying "yo, I'm looking for Dick. Tell your peoples that Omar been here looking for Dick." That's pasue.

This kind of maturity and self-assuredness has no place on this website!

Is that even a valid question? I suppose the point is that Simon wants to portray how, in The Newsroom, people are taking the same shorts to get ahead just like everywhere else (the street, the classroom, the cops, city hall). And, as the overarching theme of the show goes, you try to do more with less and it ends up biting you in the ass. The assholes win.

That's beside the fact that there have been several well-documented fiascoes revolving around made-up news reporting in the last several years.

see i do think it's just Simon sort of whining.. BUT........for it to be in the show so much i'm going to assume it somehow ties into the resolution (if there is one) of McNulty and his made up story.

• This kind of maturity and self-assuredness has no place on this website!

you're right. So right. I'm laughing right now and I am curious what the next few responses will reveal.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    wow, controller 7 got hit with the sensitivity bug all of the sudden.

see i do think it's just Simon sort of whining.. BUT........for it to be in the show so much i'm going to assume it somehow ties into the resolution (if there is one) of McNulty and his made up story.

Yeah, I agree with that.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

The way I saw the Lester and Clay scene was more like a last ditch effort for Lester to stick it to Clay. I think he realized that he wasn't getting support from the higher ups in the court and he just wanted to put a little fear into Clay. just fuck with him. You could see it on Clay's face that he was disturbed by it. Maybe it will lead to more, but with only two episodes left I'm guessing it was more of a "I know what you're doing" scare tactic with a false threat of going to a higher court (which he was already denied). Isn't Clay really just a side interest for Lester anyways. He's more concerned about bodies, but happened to stumble upon all this info in the meantime.

I agree it was just a scare tactic because Lester knew nothing would happen to Clay. On the other hand, Lester HAS been going after the bosses whether it was the top drug dealers or all the politicians and businessmen they were in bed with. He was the one that orchestrated all those subpeonas (sp?) on big wigs right before the election because he thought that would be the only time that it could actually happen for example.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Ed Simon's apparent obsession

dudes, sorry to get all nerdy on you, but David Simon and Ed Burns have not formed like Voltron.

yeah i meant to double check that before I posted - it was real late and I'd just worked a long shitty shift, now it's real early and I'm about to work another one.. chime in with some more responses a little later on...

• This kind of maturity and self-assuredness has no place on this website!

you're right. So right. I'm laughing right now and I am curious what the next few responses will reveal.

i was just joking about omar shooting off a pasue gun...
    we definitely need omar gremlins...i thought hard as fuck would have been right
    thats the man 100% gay straight whatever
    a part of the season ended when he died

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    an omar graemlin with "OH FO SHO" would be great

• a part of the season ended when he died

this is technically true.

• a part of the season ended when he died

this is technically true.

• an omar graemlin with "OH FO SHO" would be great
    I think "feel me" would be more appropriate.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'd be hard pressed to narrow down my favorite five Omar quotes. currently I'm leaning towards "Don't see no sweat on your brow neither"

• I'd be hard pressed to narrow down my favorite five Omar quotes. currently I'm leaning towards "Don't see no sweat on your brow neither"

COME AT THE KING, YOU BEST NOT MISS

• Geek question. On Omar's body bag card it states his DOB as 8/13 (?) 1960. Was he really supposed to be mid-40s? Any special significance to the date?

I ask cuz I googled up the "many are trapped for hours in darkness and confusion" and found it was probably an homage to one of Simon's heroes...

• I'd be hard pressed to narrow down my favorite five Omar quotes. currently I'm leaning towards "Don't see no sweat on your brow neither"

"tickle my fancy, fatman"

"you gonna moan that, sweet pea?"

• Geek question. On Omar's body bag card it states his DOB as 8/13 (?) 1960. Was he really supposed to be mid-40s? Any special significance to the date?

I ask cuz I googled up the "many are trapped for hours in darkness and confusion" and found it was probably an homage to one of Simon's heroes...

well, he's a Leo. which is def good look in his favor

wheres that quote from?

"come at the king you best not miss" is definitely THE classic

how bout "you mistook me for a man that repeats himself" or
    "i dont know much about cards, but i know these 45s beat a full house!"

unfadeable:

• "you mistook me for a man that repeats himself"

This has messagebored applications.

I ride

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    "But that fat man gave me an itch I can't scratch, Butchie."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Geek question. On Omar's body bag card it states his DOB as 8/13 (?) 1960. Was he really supposed to be mid-40s? Any special significance to the date?

Wait, doesn't Omar give his age during his testimony in Bird's trial as 'bout twenty nine, there about. It could just be an inconsistency or it could mean he was lying at some point.

As far as "many are trapped for hours in darkness and confusion", it seems to me that Simon has that up not as an homage but as an example of bad headline writing. Simon has talked about how newsrooms often have hall of shame walls for certain cliche or confusing writing. Perhaps David Simon does admire McFadden, but Simon has definitely expressed his contempt for the Pulitzer Prize and those who seek it.

nah that tag was for the old white guy next to him. They had the tags mixed up. It's just supposed to show once again, that Omars death is no big deal and the morgue cared so little they didn't even get the tags right.