The art, heat, and rael. Fuck the nerd hatters

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    there are a limited number of reasons to bother

Where's that graemlin with the hammer hitting the nail?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hold on, hold on, lemme get a camera and show yall how easy it is...

So you think Jel is doing a "look at me! look at me!" routine?
    I just thought he was showing how he plays his beat live rather
    than pushing play on a sequence.

I also made toast this morning. But I didn't tape it and put it on youtube.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I mean, i dont really like scratch battles, but its WAYYYYYY harder to do a transform scratch than this shit.

• Those are hard as fuck beats that rappers go gaga over.

I demand that the boy Noth to either find a rapper (not himself) to go gaga over this beat, or if he cannot, record his own rapps over it and poast the results here.

I mean, i dont really like scratch battles, but its WAYYYYYY harder to do a transform scratch than this shit.

Actually, transforming is pretty easy. Even I can do it. I think MPC drumming takes a high level of coordination. But so does playing Operation.

Watching this debate unfold now makes me understand why everyone used to think scratching (vs. say, playing an instrument) wasn't that impressive. I still ride for scratching. Can't say MPC drumming does it for me though.

Ray Barretto on the conga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1000 MPC routines

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

"Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop".

We may have to add this to the forum header rotation.

Quietly [/b] shitting

Quietly [/b] shitting

Quietly [/b] shitting

What was the other one adventurously solid or something

• Almost every time "degree of difficulty" enters the conversation with regard to music, it is used in an attempt to elevate something of questionable musical value. I have trouble understanding people that listen to music and evaluate it like they're judging Olympic diving or something.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Almost every time "degree of difficulty" enters the conversation with regard to music, it is used in an attempt to elevate something of questionable musical value. I have trouble understanding people that listen to music and evaluate it like they're judging Olympic diving or something.

indeed. nevermind.

• Someone needs to tell this guy that you can "program" beats on the MPC, no need to play it all live. That way he won't need to "practise" and can focus on writing music!

Sure it's an impressive skill an all, but people don't read Bukowski because of how well he could or couldn't use a typewriter.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    compare 16 pads with 88 keys, and uhh......it don't look like all that much sweat.

This litle girl's synth work shits on mpc riderz...bangin drums at the end...

Keyz open doors, fuck pad stroking

• Options
    Almost every time "degree of difficulty" enters the conversation with regard to music, it is used in an attempt to elevate something of questionable musical value. I have trouble understanding people that listen to music and evaluate it like they're judging Olympic diving or something.

I wouldn't even call it "evaluating music"; it's been 10 hours since I saw it and the only things I remember are how nice his hair was, how wonderfully-for-his-girl quick his fingers were, and the dramatic entrance and exit. The beat had a "piiiing" noise too.

solipsism

Raise your hand if you googled it...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    How long before ? That's what I'm waiting for.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hahaha
    odub's on fire

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop". The amazing and singular skills of Anticon's Jel.

I love me some Jel and all, but what does this phrase supposed to mean, really?

There's been some hat lately for nerd rap, and I'm really not into the fact that people on here are talkiing about nerd rap not being real hip hop. "Quietly shitting on," as in all he has to do is play the mpc to show the skills--no gangsta grill, no iced out chain, no benzo, no million dollar new era. "Amazing and singular," as in where is someone else who can do this?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    compare 16 pads with 88 keys, and uhh......it don't look like all that much sweat.

On the real though, I cannot get this phrase out of my head now:

"Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop".

We may have to add this to the forum header rotation.

If you're saying that the ebat is boring, then I really don't have anything to say to that other than you have a strange filter for boring and not boring.

People on here can be incredibly shortsighted, close-minded, and quick to get pissy as soon as their private mind garden gets the slightest disruption in it. There's nothing solipsistic about using a sampler to make music. And, just to be clear, he's using two samplers at once (there's a sp303 ont he side), but you guys are too busy looking for a reason to dismiss instead of take notes.

Saying that this kind of work is pointless is like saying, "Why the fuck should we invent 33s when 78s play music?" "Why put a chain on the petal, a spring works fine?" Oliver, maybe you're just jealous of the fact that you can't do what he does, because comparing this to scratching is just ludicrous. Everyone on this board who has used both a sampler, and a turntable, will confirm that the most virtuosic scratching is far more cumbersome than the most elementary use of a sampler in making music (even though most will not admit it because it wouldn't sound cool). Not to mention that if you're a musician on tour (making real world moves R), or a musician in a small apartment, a sampler makes way more sense than a drum kit if you can play it like Jel.

If I were to say ,"I'm stunned," it wouldn't be true because soulstrut is a place where I expect to see egotistical close-mindedness. I question whether any of you who are saying, "blah blah blah Drum Kit," are able to recognize potential in anything implicit.

Oliver, maybe you're just jealous of the fact that you can't do what he does,

Tepid, lazy man's defense. This is the best you can come up with?

Hemologic: Criticism = jealousy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Those are hard as fuck beats that rappers go gaga over.

I demand that the boy Noth to either find a rapper (not himself) to go gaga over this beat, or if he cannot, record his own rapps over it and poast the results here.

Whether or not you like my rapping is not the point. Go to Sin Sin on Monday night, and you'll have your proof.

It's all about the kid who gets to do the whip cracks.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Not quite, but it's the only part that you focused on. Read the whole post and notice the part about implicit possibilities.

*as well as spatial constraints.

*Also, Oliver logic: trying something different = pointless.

• I think that it's cool he can play the drums like that, regardless live or sampled. Speaking of Just Bleezy, was it "wankery" when he posted a video of himself playing drums for "Show me what you got" or is it more like "OMG! HE'S Frickin' AWESOME AND GREAT! I'M SO ASHAMED I WENT TO THE ROCKSTEADY CREW ANNIVERSARY 2 YEARS IN A ROW!!!"

notice the part about implicit possibilities.

Yeah, I read that part too but what's there to say? You think MPC drumming is some next level shit. Few people are in agreement with you over this. I don't think it's worthless but personally, I'm not as something that, "quietly shits on real hip hop."

I mean, I liked "Pushing Buttons" as much as the next guy when I first saw it but there's a big difference between enjoying something on a one-time basis vs. consigning on the whole practice. DJ Numark has used a rubberband on his turntable to improvise an acoustic bass. That was cool to see - once - but would I want to watch him do a whole video of that, performing the works of Charles Mingus?

So the fact that Jel - who I think is a good dude and my critique has nothing to do with him as an artist - wants to record him jamming out a beat in between laundry cycles is not implicitly impressive to my - OR 90% OF ANYONE ELSE'S - sense of artistic merit. It might require a level of technical skill but so the f--- what? I'm not saying "it's not art." I'm saying, "it's art I'm not that impressed by."

Bottomline: in your mindgarden, this shit blows your mind. Bully for you. But if no one else cosigns, then what?

• I'm twisted in a kyoto hotel room so whatevs.but yo Even though I don't mess with Anticon I Frickin' hate the automatic hattery certain types of musics gets on this board. For a while I feel like it reaks of overcompensation especially knowing the musical interests of hella folks on this board.

Not quite, but it's the only part that you focused on. Read the whole post and notice the part about implicit possibilities.

You went back to edit your post to slide in that comeback?

• Oliver, maybe you're just jealous of the fact that you can't do what he does,

You went back to edit your post to slide in that comeback?

I Frickin' hate the automatic hattery certain types of musics gets on this board.

YP: I'm pretty sure had this thread opened with something besides "quietly shitting on real hip hop" it would have gotten a far better response.

• I Frickin' hate the automatic hattery certain types of musics gets on this board.

YP: I'm pretty sure had this thread opened with something besides "quietly shitting on real hip hop" it would have gotten a far better response.

I hear you. It's very "bait-y"...(Is that a word? probally not heh...). It's like when someone posts a a race, politic, SNEAKER thread.

When did the boy Hemol become the new Deej?

When did the boy Hemol become the new Deej?