The art, heat, and rael. Fuck the nerd hatters

Comments

• When did the boy Hemol become the new Deej?

did that come off snarkey? neva that son....maybe...not sure! I

meant that he's teh "new kid at school" i.e. the architects of hattery are all ganging up on dude. Anticon is to Hemol as Shawna is to the boy Deej-y Dollaz.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

When did the boy Hemol become the new Deej?

It may have been his impecably adventurous use of the language in his posting style collectuvely shiting on our conjunctual mindgardens...

and then its subsequent defense...or debate

but he has other great posts so i would just ask everyone to just you know...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    notice the part about implicit possibilities.

Yeah, I read that part too but what's there to say? You think MPC drumming is some next level shit. Few people are in agreement with you over this. I don't think it's worthless but personally, I'm not as something that, "quietly shits on real hip hop."

I mean, I liked "Pushing Buttons" as much as the next guy when I first saw it but there's a big difference between enjoying something on a one-time basis vs. consigning on the whole practice. DJ Numark has used a rubberband on his turntable to improvise an acoustic bass. That was cool to see - once - but would I want to watch him do a whole video of that, performing the works of Charles Mingus?

So the fact that Jel - who I think is a good dude and my critique has nothing to do with him as an artist - wants to record him jamming out a beat in between laundry cycles is not implicitly impressive to my - OR 90% OF ANYONE ELSE'S - sense of artistic merit. It might require a level of technical skill but so the f--- what? I'm not saying "it's not art." I'm saying, "it's art I'm not that impressed by."

Bottomline: in your mindgarden, this shit blows your mind. Bully for you. But if no one else cosigns, then what?

If people don't cosing they fail to see the forest for the trees, but I'm not expecting people to cosign, because this is soulstrut, and Jel is not a part of the canon around here. However he is on the fringe of acceptable.

Whether or not this is next level is debatable, but this is definitely the kind of practice that leads to next levelry, which is what everyone--a group that surprisingly includes you--fails to see. Putting a rubber band on a turntable does not have much more to it than what you get out of it in the first five minutes. What Jel is doing opens doors for new musical means that are potentially infinite.

The nature of the sampler is that of infinite musical potentiality. Any sound that exists, including Numark's rubber band performance, can be put into a sampler. As soon as a sound is put into a sampler the sound's parameters of permutation are extended well beyond their original state. A sampler can time stretch, pitch shift, alter dynamics, alter attack, alter decay, alter frequency coloration through filtering, create counterpuntal compositions through sequencing, ad infinitum. What Jel is doing explores what is achievable through a real time sampler repertoire, whereas the rest of the world uses the sampler to create archives that are played back at a later date. And, for the record, that mpc video that you posted is pure garbage and antics, and could not hold a candle to Jel. It exemplifies your incorrect, and ill formed critique of Jel: dude is playing the pads as if they were drum heads (Jel chops the break to the pads).

You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense); no room for innovation, or difference when what we are doing works fine. Regardless of what you may think, I know that Jel's work bears more severity in the work of musical innovation and resuscitation than most of the rest of the planet. He should be posting videos to youtube so that people will try and learn to do what he does, and build off of that, instead of learning to play the same old instruments that have been taught in stuffy rooms with grey walls for centuries. Unlike other instruments there are no tutorials for doing what Jel does, there are no paradiddles for pads 2 and 3, there are no books to consult, et cetera.

• You're failing to address the point that all this innovation that you are salivating over is pointless if the end result of that innovation is music that sounds pedestrian. I have no hatred of "nerd rap", i'm kinda indifferent to it to be honest, but what he is doing is playing drums and samples live on pads, he's not the first to do it and won't be the last, he's good at it sure but that doesn't mean he's shitting on the hip hop world (quiety, of course) with this by a long shot...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Whether or not this is next level is debatable

to this thread

He should be posting videos to youtube so that people will try and learn to do what he does, and build off of that, instead of learning to play the same old instruments that have been taught in stuffy rooms with grey walls for centuries[/b] Unlike other instruments there are no tutorials for doing what Jel does, there are no paradiddles for pads 2 and 3, there are no books to consult, et cetera.

Please be serious

Making music with samplers constitutes great art (DJ Day)
    Does it quitly shit on saxophone and piano classes that open young minds to music...

Other people use samplers as live drums or instruments...your point is???

We have seen your video judge it ok and will consider your plea for the sampler as an instrument...thank you now

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    notice the part about implicit possibilities.

Yeah, I read that part too but what's there to say? You think MPC drumming is some next level shit. Few people are in agreement with you over this. I don't think it's worthless but personally, I'm not as something that, "quietly shits on real hip hop."

I mean, I liked "Pushing Buttons" as much as the next guy when I first saw it but there's a big difference between enjoying something on a one-time basis vs. consigning on the whole practice. DJ Numark has used a rubberband on his turntable to improvise an acoustic bass. That was cool to see - once - but would I want to watch him do a whole video of that, performing the works of Charles Mingus?

So the fact that Jel - who I think is a good dude and my critique has nothing to do with him as an artist - wants to record him jamming out a beat in between laundry cycles is not implicitly impressive to my - OR 90% OF ANYONE ELSE'S - sense of artistic merit. It might require a level of technical skill but so the f--- what? I'm not saying "it's not art." I'm saying, "it's art I'm not that impressed by."

Bottomline: in your mindgarden, this shit blows your mind. Bully for you. But if no one else cosigns, then what?

If people don't cosing they fail to see the forest for the trees, but I'm not expecting people to cosign, because this is soulstrut, and Jel is not a part of the canon around here. However he is on the fringe of acceptable.

Whether or not this is next level is debatable, but this is definitely the kind of practice that leads to next levelry, which is what everyone--a group that surprisingly includes you--fails to see. Putting a rubber band on a turntable does not have much more to it than what you get out of it in the first five minutes. What Jel is doing opens doors for new musical means that are potentially infinite.

The nature of the sampler is that of infinite musical potentiality. Any sound that exists, including Numark's rubber band performance, can be put into a sampler. As soon as a sound is put into a sampler the sound's parameters of permutation are extended well beyond their original state. A sampler can time stretch, pitch shift, alter dynamics, alter attack, alter decay, alter frequency coloration through filtering, create counterpuntal compositions through sequencing, ad infinitum. What Jel is doing explores what is achievable through a real time sampler repertoire, whereas the rest of the world uses the sampler to create archives that are played back at a later date. And, for the record, that mpc video that you posted is pure garbage and antics, and could not hold a candle to Jel. It exemplifies your incorrect, and ill formed critique of Jel: dude is playing the pads as if they were drum heads (Jel chops the break to the pads).

You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense); no room for innovation, or difference when what we are doing works fine. Regardless of what you may think, I know that Jel's work bears more severity in the work of musical innovation and resuscitation than most of the rest of the planet. He should be posting videos to youtube so that people will try and learn to do what he does, and build off of that, instead of learning to play the same old instruments that have been taught in stuffy rooms with grey walls for centuries. Unlike other instruments there are no tutorials for doing what Jel does, there are no paradiddles for pads 2 and 3, there are no books to consult, et cetera.

Maybe u should just chalk it up to - "We are sleepin, and u know the next."

U not convincing anyone bro. Leave it at that. No big deal. I like alot os shit that dudes clon on.
    No big deal.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    he's good at it sure but that doesn't mean he's shitting on the hip hop world (quiety, of course) with this by a long shot...

Please stop taking what I said entirely out of context. Twice I've clarified that what Jel does shits on the idea that nerd rap is not "real hip hop". I'm not implying that he is better than the rest of hip hop.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I prefer his live versions to his recorded stuff

all rap is nerd rap. most of the artists toil for hours by themselves.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Whether or not this is next level is debatable
    and the rest of the sentence, "this definitely leads to next levelry."

He should be posting videos to youtube so that people will try and learn to do what he does, and build off of that, instead of learning to play the same old instruments that have been taught in stuffy rooms with grey walls for centuries[/b] Unlike other instruments there are no tutorials for doing what Jel does, there are no paradiddles for pads 2 and 3, there are no books to consult, et cetera.

Please be serious

Making music with samplers constitutes great art (DJ Day)
    Does it quitly shit on saxophone and piano classes
    Yes.

Other people use samplers as live drums or instruments...your point is???

But, not like this. And my point is that more people should.

We have seen your video judge it ok and will consider your plea for the sampler as an instrument...thank you now

Spare me the condescension.

Young, you're right. I shouldn't have started the htread off like I did, but I was asshurt over the derision of 'nerd rap' (I don't even use that term when I talk about my music, but I know it gets applied to my music nonetheless). My mistake in being inflammatory, but thus is the strut.

• (I don't even use that term when I talk about my music, but I know it gets applied to my music nonetheless).

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

People on here can be incredibly shortsighted, close-minded, and quick to get pissy as soon as their private mind garden gets the slightest disruption in it.

Hey Hemol, I can understand that you want to battle the knee-jerk ridicule of artists/musical styles that you like, but your pre-emptive indignation + hyperbole defeated the purpose. I mean, with your thread title and introduction you were kinda begging for the exact reaction you are trying to combat. It's that bitter "we are the maligned vanguard" attitude that turns people off.

That being said, I think people are going a bit overboard with the negative, digressive responses. I mean: Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen? The dude is playing a beat live on his machines and doing it tight. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't really see where the "technical wankery" accusations come into play. It's not like he's doing 300 BPM gabber techno with triplet cowbell moves or lighting his MPC on fire whilst doing handstands or some shit like that. I've seen many other guys who were way more "wanky" in their approach to doing the same thing.

And I think the whole drumkit/piano/scratch/whatever comparison is a bit strange too. Some of you sound like rockist dads right now.

Give credit were it's due. Jel is talented.

But I'm afraid I have to on this:

"Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop".

We may have to add this to the forum header rotation.

That quote is pretty funny (sorry Hemol).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think we need a "hemol" graem thats Damon Wayans' character from In Living Color who used all the big words incorrectly

If you wanna be a nerd you need to hit the books, son!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    aren't those clips what all 'balzing downtempo' sounds like basically???

"oh wow, a led zep-esque trudge beat with some atmospheric accents"

• You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense); no room for innovation, or difference when what we are doing works fine. Regardless of what you may think, I know that Jel's work bears more severity in the work of musical innovation and resuscitation than most of the rest of the planet. He should be posting videos to youtube so that people will try and learn to do what he does, and build off of that, instead of learning to play the same old instruments that have been taught in stuffy rooms with grey walls for centuries. Unlike other instruments there are no tutorials for doing what Jel does, there are no paradiddles for pads 2 and 3, there are no books to consult, et cetera.

I think the ultimate result of any musical endeavor should be an affecting piece of music. I don't see why samplers are any more or less well-suited to this than any other instrument.

I think we need a "hemol" graem thats Damon Wayans' character from In Living Color who used all the big words incorrectly

If you wanna be a nerd you need to hit the books, son!

A mind is a terrible thang to waste...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    U not convincing anyone bro. Leave it at that. No big deal. I like alot os shit that dudes clon on.
    No big deal.

• unrelated to that mediocore jel beat but

these 2 sampled interludes below on Jels Greenball album are songs i need in my life.. if yall could help , id appreciate it more than u will evar kno!

1. your mother
    1 your mother

^ the first 30 or seconds it starts off with this sykadelik group .. its goes something like;

"woman , what do u do.. all nite long?
    with your long black hair , fallin downown, just like rain
    with your long black hair, fallin down fallin down,. just like rain.

and the second

04 Da Thrill Is Gone (Interlude)
    da thrill is gone

^ i shodd kno that one but i cant for the life of mee..

if yall could help me
    i really need the cus around here!

cmon people i kno some one knows~!!
    pleeeeeez ha
    aelx`

• Just as Rossdumbfuck owns an Yngwie LP, so too do I own an LP by Steve Vai. I ain't dismissing shit. The hyperbole used to describe the vid was comedy though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i wonder if hemol cried when the initial posts weren't co-signing this

b/w

rocking samplers for youtube videos = 5th element of hip-hop?

• jel, you're, you're doin' prettty goo-ood , how about a soda?

:insert;
    {(**;"family guy graemlin";**)}

id rather see somebody play a real drumset anyday
    that whole tape your self making beats on youtube is played!
    but taping yourself making beats with really nicely combed sexy long spanish man hair is
    does he use Jel?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

That quote is pretty funny (sorry Hemol).

I'm not mad at it. If people get a kick out of it that's great, I'm happy to contribute to the sidebar comedy that goes on here, even if it is at the expense of my online persona (doesn't really matter in the end). I'm happy to make some people laugh.

The funny thing is how this thread has divided the respondents. Some people are actually responding to the video that I posted, some people are responding to my wording in introducing the video, and some people are just trying to get on board and clon me for clonning's sake (Hi dig dug, hi brian, hi starc...). If you want to throw barbs do it in pms, cause your eighth round draft pick humor just makes y'all look like tools.

I admit that the preface was not the best way to go about this, but it was what needed to be said in light of some recent comments on here.

• cause your eighth round draft pick humor just makes y'all look like tools.

INCOMPREHENSIBLE MIXED METAPHOR ALERT!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what did you expect to accomplish with this thread?

• WE SHITTING ON JEL'S SHITTONG OF HIP HOP!

YEAH SON! FALL BACK!

Kero One & King Most in Paris.

Add to My Profile | More Videos

wakka wakka!

• AND YO! DJ DAY RIGHT IS SPREADING HIS CHEEKS WIDE OPEN AND HE MOVES HIS BOWELS ON RAPP AS WELL!!! HIT 'EM WITH SOME UNDIGESTED CORN HUSKS!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This, to me, is equivalent to a bowel movement of moderate volume on authentic forms of late millennial Black street culture.

The nature of the sampler is that of infinite musical potentiality.

Just to note: Jel's performance is not one that demonstrates the "infinite musical potentiality" of a sampler.

Moreover, a sampler, as a device, hardly is unique in its ability to demonstrate "infinite musical potentiality". The history of recorded sound is largely one of unlimited potentiality. This idea that messing with a sampler is deserving of some higher level of appreciation is absurd compared to the myriad forms of sound manipulation that have come through in the last century. I'm not dissing MPC programming but it's just one of many forms of self-expression made possible through technology.

You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense)

By the way, this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Do you even know what "heteronormative" means? It's not a proverb. It's not meant to be applicable to situations other than what the term itself is defined as - which has to do with human sexuality. Not "art" or "culture" or "ideas."

I guess I'm being "notimpressedbyMPCplayingnormative." In an academic sense. Proverbially speaking.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense)

By the way, this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Do you even know what "heteronormative" means? It's not a proverb. It's not meant to be applicable to situations other than what the term itself is defined as - which has to do with human sexuality. Not "art" or "culture" or "ideas."

I guess I'm being "notimpressedbyMPCplayingnormative." In an academic sense. Proverbially speaking.

LMAO at that use of heteronormative. Oh man. One of the funniest wannabe academic statements ever on Soulstrut.