The art, heat, and rael. Fuck the nerd hatters

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop". The amazing and singular skills of Anticon's Jel.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Serious? You know of other people that rock a sampler like that?

• yeah, it's not like it's musically complex (melody wise), but a solid 3 minutes of drums with plenty of changes, patterns, etc. is not that easy to do without messing up. I can guarantee that this was either first take or within 3. He's truly talented at playing the sampler live. I couldn't even get close to doing that.

Best part is how he walks in and does it and then leaves.

• it's pretty impressive live MPCin but it "shits on the world of real hip hop" about as much as these two videos

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    As in shits on all the dudes trying to claim that there is 'real hip hop' and 'fake hip hop', and if you're 'nerd rap' then you're not 'real hip hop'. Those are hard as fuck beats that rappers go gaga over.

• musically it's like a fatboy slim outtake. he is pretty good on the pads though

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This dude is great
    always a joy to watch

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    As in shits on all the dudes trying to claim that there is 'real hip hop' and 'fake hip hop', and if you're 'nerd rap' then you're not 'real hip hop'. Those are hard as fuck beats that rappers go gaga over.

that beat is wack. Whoopee i can push some buttons.

• As in shits on all the dudes trying to claim that there is 'real hip hop' and 'fake hip hop', and if you're 'nerd rap' then you're not 'real hip hop'. Those are hard as fuck beats that rappers go gaga over.

that beat is wack. Whoopee i can push some buttons.

Kinda agreed, technically it may take skill to do that, but this is music, it has to sound good and that track is dull...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    if youve got an mp you know that shit aint even hard to do either.

• unrelated to that mediocore jel beat but

these 2 sampled interludes below on Jels Greenball album are songs i need in my life.. if yall could help , id appreciate it more than u will evar kno!

1. your mother
    1 your mother

^ the first 30 or seconds it starts off with this sykadelik group .. its goes something like;

"woman , what do u do.. all nite long?
    with your long black hair , fallin downown, just like rain
    with your long black hair, fallin down fallin down,. just like rain.

and the second

04 Da Thrill Is Gone (Interlude)
    da thrill is gone

^ i shodd kno that one but i cant for the life of mee..

if yall could help me
    i really need the cus around here!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dudes awesome.
    why dont one of you "it aint no big deal" people make a vid like this

• if youve got an mp you know that shit aint even hard to do either.

If you've got a QWERTY keyboard you know that shit ain't even hard to type.

we are waiting on your video.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

this is music, it has to sound good and that track is dull...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    SUPER BLAH!

really. Who cares how skilled he is at using a sample live (an idea which seems rather silly actually), if its not dope musically who Frickin' cares. Id rather see somebody really getting down on a drumset.

Also - I cant stand those uber-fuckin technical musicians who play awful fuckin music that people drool over. I dont care how quick your fingers are on that bass, bro, your playing ear-bleeding scales and nonsense riffs. The test of real musicianship is imbuing some sort of soul into whatever your playing - not just playing accurately and fast. See "Portrait of Tracy" verses some super fast finger bleeder (not that jaco wasnt guilty of this at times, but the style of playing that kind of spawned in his wake.. blech).

Ahem.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzz etc....

• Plaese to add indents to the zzzs, but I have to agree with the haters. I am taken by the spectacle of this dude tapping his drum pads, but if I close my eyes it's some music that I would dismiss as lame pretty fast. That said, Jel does have some hawt shit, but I'm not really feeling his bid at internets celebrity (no offense to the rael internets celebrities) through videos of him mpcterbating in his bedroom. He does have some pretty hair. Maybe he's part Spanish.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop". The amazing and singular skills of Anticon's Jel.

I love me some Jel and all, but what does this phrase supposed to mean, really?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Y'all have some "interesting" definitions of real hip-hop, to put it kindly.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i'm not hatin on the beat or anything (i kind of like it). but, for real, a million drummers could hammer this out live on a drum set, with the loop in the background, so what's the big deal? i'm not saying i can do it, but really, tons of drummers on a trap set, on no sleep?

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• What's hip-hop?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    What's hip-hop?

• what conditioner does he use???
    nice hair

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

i'm not hatin on the beat or anything (i kind of like it). but, for real, a million drummers could hammer this out live on a drum set, with the loop in the background, so what's the big deal? i'm not saying i can do it, but really, tons of drummers on a trap set, on no sleep?

Saying.

This move towards sampler virtuosity seems to have inherited all the worst qualities of turntablism's solipsism; even more so b/c at least one can argue that scratching creates a sound that can't be duplicated by other means. Knocking out on a drum machine vs. knocking out on some drums?

Call me old fashioned, I find this more compelling

• The turntablism comparison is apt; just because it's a tool used to create hip-hop doesn't make any use of it, by default, "hip-hop".

This shit is Steve Vai.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Take away the visual aspect and what do u have?

• Options
    Dude walked in and out of the room the same way I do when I'm doing laundry.

• Take away the visual aspect and what do u have?

Does it rock?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Take away the visual aspect and what do u have?

Does it rock?

x-actlee