The art, heat, and rael. Fuck the nerd hatters

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    WE SHITTING ON JEL'S SHITTONG OF HIP HOP!

YEAH SON! FALL BACK!

Kero One & King Most in Paris.

Add to My Profile | More Videos

wakka wakka!

That was hott dood. Looks like y'all are having a good time out in Japan.

• thanks homie, we have fun.that was earlier this year in pairs.

I'm probally having the time of my life right now. amazing food every damn night and shit.....I can't even begin to say everything, mega picture thread when I get back and shit. We're about to go digging in Kyoto at some spot that is known to have a shitload of Japanese only Jazz/fusion records and Japnese 12''pressings.

• I want a wooden hannya mask for Christmas. Don't spend over $300 on one, though.

Keeses!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    thanks homie, we have fun.that was earlier this year in pairs.

I'm probally having the time of my life right now. amazing food every damn night and shit.....I can't even begin to say everything, mega picture thread when I get back and shit. We're about to go digging in Kyoto at some spot that is known to have a shitload of Japanese only Jazz/fusion records and Japnese 12''pressings.

Please to buy me lots of Japanese disco and modern.

• I'd like to continue my hatery by adding:

I'd rather watch someone play the same thing on drums, because the drums are more exiting in performance. Dramatic full body motion, vertical and horizontal orientation and banging the fuck out of things all make it much more exiting than watching someone tap on drum pads. I love scratching and DJ routines, but many scratch and battle DJ routines are difficult to follow and appreciate visually. This is why Roc Raida brought in the ninja skillz. I have the same problem with alot of the live beat performance stuff that people are into these days. Electonics usually decrease the intuitiveness of their live performance. These instruments are built for ease of use in a studio setting. You need to take more steps towards making something into a good performance than just setting up your studio gear on stage.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I'd like to continue my hatery by adding:

I'd rather watch someone play the same thing on drums, because the drums are more exiting in performance. Dramatic full body motion, vertical and horizontal orientation and banging the fuck out of things all make it much more exiting than watching someone tap on drum pads. I love scratching and DJ routines, but many scratch and battle DJ routines are difficult to follow and appreciate visually. This is why Roc Raida brought in the ninja skillz. I have the same problem with alot of the live beat performance stuff that people are into these days. Electonics usually decrease the intuitiveness of their live performance. These instruments are built for ease of use in a studio setting. You need to take more steps towards making something into a good performance than just setting up your studio gear on stage.

thaaaank you

this sums up my opinion on this all:

jel is cool, i like some of his stuff.
    he is very good playing with that sampler live on the spot

HOWEVER

a. this is nothing new
    b. this is hardly innovative (he's basically programming beats like everybody in the world does in their studio, only he's doing at 50x)
    c. listen to it without the video, and THAT is what counts. i'm never impressed by any music that isnt impressive by itself. and there is lots of music that totally makes me go
    straight off the record....no video needed.

this whole thing about how hes advancing hip-hop or whatever...NOPE, at least not with what hes doing in this video. look, the reason i can hardly ever just sit down and work on music is because i still havent found something totally new that i can do with it, something totally innovative, something totally fresh, i STRIVE for this, and i'm really impressed when people DO bring something new to the table. but in all honesty, listen to that video without watching it. if i told you it was from 1999 i really dont think it would be hard to believe. artistically and physically this is NOTHING new. just a somewhat impressive video, just like that breakdancer dude who gets all wiggly.

the video is cool, i'm impressed by his skills, but really its nothing new and nothing mind-blowing. if it wasnt made out to be something that was going to change my whole world in the first place, page 4 wouldnt even exist right now.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense)

By the way, this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Do you even know what "heteronormative" means? It's not a proverb. It's not meant to be applicable to situations other than what the term itself is defined as - which has to do with human sexuality. Not "art" or "culture" or "ideas."

I guess I'm being "notimpressedbyMPCplayingnormative." In an academic sense. Proverbially speaking.

Quite to the contrary. I'm not sure what field of academia you've studied in, but it gets deployed to describe paradigms of abjection that have nothing to do with sexuality.

Being that I used the qualifier 'proverbial', followed by the qualifier '(in an academic sense)' that should have given some indication that I'm not using the word in its conventional sense, but in an academic sense. In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

It's not even a point of contention, it's simply a matter of jargon that I assumed you'd be privy to.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Just to note: Jel's performance is not one that demonstrates the "infinite musical potentiality" of a sampler.

But, it indicates that such an infinity exists.

Moreover, a sampler, as a device, hardly is unique in its ability to demonstrate "infinite musical potentiality". The history of recorded sound is largely one of unlimited potentiality. This idea that messing with a sampler is deserving of some higher level of appreciation is absurd compared to the myriad forms of sound manipulation that have come through in the last century. I'm not dissing MPC programming but it's just one of many forms of self-expression made possible through technology.

But, the difference is that the sampler puts all of that at your fingertips for immediate manipulation, and does so in a way that operates within an already established musical paradigm. It's not an issue of self expression, simply sonic manipulation regardless of affect.

Can you give an example of anything that functions like the sampler that is not the sampler in an inchoate state?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense)

By the way, this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Do you even know what "heteronormative" means? It's not a proverb. It's not meant to be applicable to situations other than what the term itself is defined as - which has to do with human sexuality. Not "art" or "culture" or "ideas."

I guess I'm being "notimpressedbyMPCplayingnormative." In an academic sense. Proverbially speaking.

Quite to the contrary. I'm not sure what field of academia you've studied in, but it gets deployed to describe paradigms of abjection that have nothing to do with sexuality.

Being that I used the qualifier 'proverbial', followed by the qualifier '(in an academic sense)' that should have given some indication that I'm not using the word in its conventional sense, but in an academic sense. In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

It's not even a point of contention, it's simply a matter of jargon that I assumed you'd be privy to.

Dude, you are talking about the word hegemonic.

deployed to describe paradigms of abjection

"Paradigms of abjection"? I'm editor-in-chief of a peer-reviewed academic journal. If one of my contributors--judges, academics, practitioners--ever hid their argument, or lack thereof, behind inane jargon like that I'd have one of my peons yell at them. It's beneath me to do it myself. The only thing paradigms of abjection describes is how I feel about meaningless academic wankery.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    IYou need to take more steps towards making something into a good performance than just setting up your studio gear on stage.

How is this not a step towards that? He's not just settign his gear up on stage, he's playing music on it in real time. I'm not saying this is the arrival of something new, but I am saying that this is an indication of the direction that things could go in order to become 'a good performance'.

IYou need to take more steps towards making something into a good performance than just setting up your studio gear on stage.

How is this not a step towards that? He's not just settign his gear up on stage, he's playing music on it in real time. I'm not saying this is the arrival of something new, but I am saying that this is an indication of the direction that things could go in order to become 'a good performance'.

if something new is going to happen, it should be something new. he is playing SAMPLES on a machine. watching jel play drum samples on a sampler live is like watching your friend put together a 1500-piece puzzle of a picasso painting.

no diss to him, but pretty much however he could possibly make a performance of this more interesting, given the end result i think watching a live band do it would be a much more satisfying experience.

seeing the things being sampled performed live in the first place >>>>> hearing the samples being put together second-hand outside of the studio in "real time"

and bear in mind this is all coming from somebody who takes the art of sampling EXTREMELY seriously. everybody needs to take sampling for what it is. it's fun, a unique art form and you can get REALLY creative with it, but in all honesty it has a hell of a lot more limitations than actual music-playing. that's why im starting to move away from it, which is the only real way to advance. just accept it, he's staying completely within the boundaries of a sampler.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

b. this is hardly innovative (he's basically programming beats like everybody in the world does in their studio, only he's doing at 50x)

He's not programming beats because he can't undo what's been done. If he fucks up then the song is wrecked. This is the exact point that I'm getting at. Hip hop made with samplers is usually done in fragmented time, but he's not doing that. And, there is a huge difference in skill level between Jel and anyone else who is rocking a sampler, so much so that he is able to take it to a different place. I'm not saying that Jel is the saviour of hip hop, but he--the 'nerd rapper'--is taking it to a place that no one else is bothering with, and this will likely lead to other people doing big things.

• deployed to describe paradigms of abjection

"Paradigms of abjection"? I'm editor-in-chief of a peer-reviewed academic journal. If one of my contributors--judges, academics, practitioners--ever hid their argument, or lack thereof, behind inane jargon like that I'd have one of my peons yell at them. It's beneath me to do it myself. The only thing paradigms of abjection describes is how I feel about meaningless academic wankery.

yes! err... I mean

He's not programming beats because he can't undo what's been done. If he fucks up then the song is wrecked. This is the exact point that I'm getting at. Hip hop made with samplers is usually done in fragmented time, but he's not doing that. And, there is a huge difference in skill level between Jel and anyone else who is rocking a sampler, so much so that he is able to take it to a different place. I'm not saying that Jel is the saviour of hip hop, but he--the 'nerd rapper'--is taking it to a place that no one else is bothering with, and this will likely lead to other people doing big things.

but the thing is: how is this a "big thing"? how is this any more impressive than an MC who really has his rhymes down and his timing tight? the end result is what counts here, and i dont think you've accepted this yet. it took practice, and skill, im not denying that at all, and i dont think anybody here is. but that's all this video is worth. you cant "undo" whats been done in ANY live performance, and without the video....what's this worth really?

i used to be obsessed with the time and patience and skill things took, but MUSIC is MUSIC, if its great, its great, if it sucks, it sucks, what happens inbetween is pretty damn far from important.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

How would you phrase it then? System of abjection? Structure of abjection?

I'm not saying that Jel is the saviour of hip hop, but he--the 'nerd rapper'--is taking it to a place that no one else is bothering with, and this will likely lead to other people doing big things.

do you not understand that what he does in that video is, in all reality, a step BACKWARDS when it comes to doing "big things"? he's re-arranging sampled drums on a machine...live. yep, hes taking something that would have unlimited freedom if he was sitting in front of a drum set, and putting constraints on it, and limitations. this may add to how impressive it is, but does that REALLY MATTER? a dude rocking a drum set's only boundaries are his own skill level. jel, in this video, has countless other limitations.

and anyway, he's still going to have to do some time in the studio loading those samples up, chopping them, planning it all out. it's not like he can just do whatever he wants on the fly. and yes, most live performances take prep time...setting up, tuning, but thats about equal to plugging in the MPC to the wall and the PA.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

you cant "undo" whats been done in ANY live performance, and without the video....what's this worth really?

Beats made with samplers are not usually performed live, but he's making beats live on a sampler. That's all, nothing more than that. It's not supposed to be better than a live band, or worse, it's just different.

you cant "undo" whats been done in ANY live performance, and without the video....what's this worth really?

Beats made with samplers are not usually performed live, but he's making beats live on a sampler. That's all, nothing more than that. It's not supposed to be better than a live band, or worse, it's just different.

not everything different is notable or important. plain and simple.

additionally, its not like that video was representative of all his live performances. it was shot in his bedroom, for all we know that was take 24. not saying he doesnt have that routine totally down, but the whole "undo" thing was kinda worthless anyway if we are talking about a video posted to the internet.

• so too do I own an LP by Steve Vai.

If it be not Flex-Able, thou art dead to me.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    not everything different is notable or important. plain and simple.

additionally, its not like that video was representative of all his live performances. it was shot in his bedroom, for all we know that was take 24. not saying he doesnt have that routine totally down, but the whole "undo" thing was kinda worthless anyway if we are talking about a video posted to the internet.

You and I have different opinions on teh matter, and neither of us are going to convince the other.

• In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

You are a fraud.

Maybe you can send this performance study of yours into Jel.

In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

You are a fraud.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Fuck the nerd hatters

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

You are a fraud.

queer theory? Word. ummm....hai guys, what the hell is going on in here?

• I like Turtles.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i didn't think it was possible but this thread has gotten even more dumb. this shit is seriously one of the dumbest threads ever posted on here and that says a lot

• one time in high school i tapped out a beat on the desk flawlessly for 3 minutes. i took the art of desk beats to the

next level

i didn't think it was possible but this thread has gotten even more dumb. this shit is seriously one of the dumbest threads ever posted on here and that says a lot

for once i'm not the one making this post, but helping cause it! i apologize.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    one time in high school i tapped out a beat on the desk flawlessly for 3 minutes. i took the art of desk beats to the

next level

But did you use an NBA themed ruler and twang it off the edge of the desk like b-doing-ng-ng-ng and then threaten to fuck people up? Yeah didn't think so.