NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• Plaese to not underestimate the knowledge jewelz that can be scooped up in 3-on-3 games at the Y!

• There's a first time for everything and one of these days a Small Ball Team Will get to the Finals at least.

When the league eliminates all physical contact whatsoever. (which I think was how basketball was originally conceived in the first place)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    No doubt.

Im just sayin that there are alot more teams incorporating the Run-N-Gun steez and less and less dominant real Centers are in the L as well. Its only a matter of time where one of these systems is gonna figure out how to score alot and stop muthafuckas at will.

The Spurs are the closest but Duncan is a throwback/classic big man.

I've learned from my 3 on 3 games at the Y (or what have you) that dudes who look to score, get lazy on defense. They try to expend the least amount of energy on this end, and think all rewards come with making a basket (in which cases, most rewards are at the offensive end - fat contract, headlines, magazine covers, superstar branding, endorsements, appearance fees, the list is endless.) And what do you get for helping out on defense? Maybe an all-defensive team recognition and a mediocre salary as a "role player".

"Do you have any idea what you are talking about?"

That's like one out of every 10 scorers. Think Gilbert Arenas, Allen Iverson, Rashard Lewis, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, who get seemingly more love and exposure from fans, owners, and sponsors.

• i'll admit that his teams have lacked a post up presence and may be criticized as non-physical in the traditionalist sense, (maybe that explains dirk's hangups... it's like dirk's got a nelson hangover,) but to say his teams aren't physical at all is nuts-- especially the current warriors. Read post game interviews from their opponents-- the warriors SCRAP[/b]. (but yeah, they sucked last night. if you were a paying ticket holder at that game, i understand your frustration.)

that team is no defensive powerhouse, no matter how much the players may individually scrap and slap and go for steals.

Plaese to not underestimate the knowledge jewelz that can be scooped up in 3-on-3 games at the Y!

pronounced, jew-ALz.

• Top 3 reasons why high-scoring offense doesn't win you titles:

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

Got cuaght up working and now there's a whole other page, but I had to get this in:

The Nuggets and Warriors have not been in the position to win a title in the last 12 or 13 years...

The Nuggets barely started building their first decent team since 94 (and I wouldn't even call that team a contender) with Carmelo just a handful of years ago, all the while being stricken with drastic changes in management (three head coaches since '04) and injured marquis players (Nene and Martin). They have now mastered the offensive end and are working on their defense. The question is, can they become a consistent team before Camby and Iverson decide retire? I think they will be a consistent team by the All star break this year.

The Warriors haven't been a team since the Hardaway/Mullin/Webber/Sprewell days, and they're still trying to put the pieces together. Nelson shouldn't be slept on, but his team is not yet a finals contender. They just drastically changed their lineup a year ago and are building chemistry again.

The Suns are certainly edging closer and closer to the opportunity, and I have to agree with BATMON on the point that the european game really has started to change the NBA pretty drastically, and this is giving Phoenix more and more of an edge. Defense is still a factor, and the first high scoring team that figures out how to stop an elite team defensively will take the chip easily.

• The fact that Nellie can throw down on the sauce is unquestioned. We called him "Drunk Nellie". He's done some genius things. He's among the career leaders in wins, if not *the* leader. He's also up there in losses though. Has he ever made a Finals? I don't think so. Saying. There's good and bad w/ that guy. Quotable for days. Can be hilarious. Seems genuinely nice. Can also be petulant when his money ain't right.

It's not really being harsh or overly negative to say there is a good chance he'll never win or maybe not even play for a ring as a Coach. He or his style has a certain ceiling.

If you're saying "He built this Mavs team" I might quibble. He did drag them back from NBA Siberia and he's a God for that. The current squad. Just players...he had a hand in less than half and we're 2+ years out w/ a whole mentality so I think it's fair to let that concept go. He built Dirk. And took him apart as well. Hiyo.

• Oh and how you gonna praise the "innovations of Nellie" as regards point-forwards and big men doing non-big things and then stay hating on Dirk's game? That's what he do.

• Oh, and like every other team in the NBA doesn't quit some nights. Props to Nellie for calling a spade a spade and not talking around it, but that's Nellie.

• On this TNT Pistons/Spurs pre-game tonight, Reggie Miller comes out in a funny lookin' jacket and I'm thinking to myself, it looks like Craig Sager hooked him up with some gear, and then Craig Sager pops up for some commentary and he's wearing the same fuckin' jacket. lol.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Agreed Gene.

I think Nelson is the perfect coach for rebuilding a team. He will ship out what he doesn't like and completely reconfigure things and get them rolling. That being said, I'm not sure he knows what to do with a post player anymore, even though he use to way back when, when he was with the Bucks. He also hasn't had a good record with rebounding. I still love the guy and thank him or tacking the Warriors out of 13 years of pergatory.

Regarding Nellie and the Knicks, he did cause a revolt. Ewing wanted the ball 90% of the time and was completley pissed that anyone else could handle it, namely Mason, and create offense that didn't go through him first. I think Nelson's approach was right, but that team was too chock full of vets that weren't willing to change.

With the Warriors the first time, he had to deal with C. Webber, who I've loved as a player but completely despise as a person. He continually causes problems and then denies any kind of responsibility like a punk bitch. He basically got pissed at Nelson because he shipped out one of his best friend Billy Owens for a true center Rony Seikly and than pouted about it. That's some immature bullshit, but Nelson was fine with the rest of the team, and that whole situation sank the Warriors into the 13 year pergatory I mentioned before.

• The WC standings right now are 'nanners. Portland #3, leading their division? Holy shit. Way to go Portland. San An and Lakers tied for 4th? Crazy shit. Go Jazz. I see the Dubs are eighth. Jazz and H-Town floundering. Sacramento, Clips, Grizz, Durants and Twhos?....betta luck next year.

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT SON. LA IS AN AMOEBA, AND IT'S SWALLOWING EVERYTHING UP IN ITS PATH.

• YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT SON. LA IS AN AMOEBA, AND IT'S SWALLOWING EVERYTHING UP IN ITS PATH.

Keep showin' us, young bucks. The vets are just barely wakin' up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Coach Don Nelson of Golden State, whose Warriors are 20-9 after starting 0-6, got the heave-ho at Houston on Dec. 31. "It wasn't as much the game. ??? I found out there were cold beers in the locker room," Nelson said, "??? so I thought I'd go in there and start the New Year early.[/b]

• The WC standings right now are 'nanners. Portland #3, leading their division? Holy shit. Way to go Portland. San An and Lakers tied for 4th? Crazy shit. Go Jazz. I see the Dubs are eighth. Jazz and H-Town floundering. Sacramento, Clips, Grizz, Durants and Twhos?....betta luck next year.

It's all within 3 or 4 games though. Portland is half a game up on Denver in the NW. I don't believe that's going to last. San Antonio's record doesn't look good, they have 7 losses on the road and 4 at home, I believe. But they are a sleeping giant and they will awaken. I agree with Barkley, I am not sold on the Lakers being for real. They're on a good one right now, definitely. But we'll see.

The WC standings right now are 'nanners. Portland #3, leading their division? Holy shit. Way to go Portland. San An and Lakers tied for 4th? Crazy shit. Go Jazz. I see the Dubs are eighth. Jazz and H-Town floundering. Sacramento, Clips, Grizz, Durants and Twhos?....betta luck next year.

It's all within 3 or 4 games though. Portland is half a game up on Denver in the NW. I don't believe that's going to last. San Antonio's record doesn't look good, they have 7 losses on the road and 4 at home, I believe. But they are a sleeping giant and they will awaken. I agree with Barkley, I am not sold on the Lakers being for real. They're on a good one right now, definitely. But we'll see.

I cant see the Lakers going from knocked out in the first round to contending. Then again anything can happen. If Bynum holds up they can be a spoiler.

I cant see the Lakers going from knocked out in the first round to contending. Then again anything can happen. If Bynum and Odom[/b] hold up they can be a spoiler.

The WC standings right now are 'nanners. Portland #3, leading their division? Holy shit. Way to go Portland. San An and Lakers tied for 4th? Crazy shit. Go Jazz. I see the Dubs are eighth. Jazz and H-Town floundering. Sacramento, Clips, Grizz, Durants and Twhos?....betta luck next year.

I cant see the Lakers going from knocked out in the first round to contending. Then again anything can happen. If Bynum holds up they can be a spoiler.

They're not consistent enough yet to be serious contenders. BUT with one of the most talented young squads in the league with one of the best (if not the best) coaching staff behind them, this season has been very satisfying up until this point. AND I AM RIDING THIS SHIT AS LONG AS I CAN. Bynum, Ariza, and Fisher have been key. GO MOTHERFUCKIN' LAKERS.

• Any word on Bynum's injury?

And how about that Hawks/Heat game? I wasn't aware that the teams were responsible for their own scoring table personnel, shouldn't that be the league's responsibility? That's nuts. Hawks get the $50k fine because somebody wasn't paying attention to how many fouls Shaq had? And nobody even challenged that during the game? Crazy. So now they're going to replay the last 51.9 seconds of the game 2 months later when they meet again. That's some weird shit.

What would they have done if this was the last time these two teams were meeting this season (if they were from different conferences and had already met once before, for instance)? Would they have had the teams get together again just to play for 52 seconds??

And how about that Hawks/Heat game? I wasn't aware that the teams were responsible for their own scoring table personnel, shouldn't that be the league's responsibility? That's nuts. Hawks get the $50k fine because somebody wasn't paying attention to how many fouls Shaq had? And nobody even challenged that during the game? Crazy. So now they're going to replay the last 51.9 seconds of the game 2 months later when they meet again. That's some weird shit.

What would they have done if this was the last time these two teams were meeting this season (if they were from different conferences and had already met once before, for instance)? Would they have had the teams get together again just to play for 52 seconds??

Apparently this this first time in NBA history a re-play is being used.

I guess in the past shit was resolved differently.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i thought there was a replay in '82 or something.

on another note, i can't believe how absolutely terrible the heat are.

• And how about that Hawks/Heat game? I wasn't aware that the teams were responsible for their own scoring table personnel, shouldn't that be the league's responsibility? That's nuts. Hawks get the $50k fine because somebody wasn't paying attention to how many fouls Shaq had? And nobody even challenged that during the game? Crazy. So now they're going to replay the last 51.9 seconds of the game 2 months later when they meet again. That's some weird shit.

i thought there was a replay in '82 or something.

on another note, i can't believe how absolutely terrible the heat are.

'82 was just the last time a game was appealled. Maybe they didn't replay a segement of the game, maybe they came to some other agreement. I'm not sure.

Re: The Heat, yeah they are terrible, and they are scheduled every other Frickin' day on TNT or NBATV. NOBODY WANTS TO SEE THEM PLAY ANYMORE THIS SEASON, CHANGE THE NATIONAL TV LINEUPS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

And just to elaborate a little bit, Bynum went down with a twisted knee/ankle injury last night. It looked kinda bad when he went down, but they had a good point. He's young so maybe he is overreacting to the injury. I hope he's not injured badly, it would be a crying shame to see that guy get stopped in his tracks while having such a great season.

i can't believe how absolutely terrible the Heat are.

They need to blow that whole thing up.

Riley needs to go back upstairs.

Shaq needs to play less minutes.

Wade shouldnt have rushed his comeback.

They werent that good before. They had one incredible month when they won the whole thing and its a wrap after that. All the vets that won are gone. Zo,Payton,Posey,Kapono.

Faux called it a minute ago. Wade shoulda got out after the Championship.

Even if Wade was never injured, I still dont see them being that much better.

Shaq might even miss the All-Star Game.......Its that bad for that team.

• i can't believe how absolutely terrible the Heat are.

They need to blow that whole thing up.

Riley needs to go back upstairs.

Shaq needs to retire.

Wade should have gotten his surgery done right away last year instead of trying tto be the playoffs hero.

You gotta wonder about Wade. It seems like he should take a year off to rehab, because he really fucked up by letting his injury fester for the playoffs last year. If he takes some time off from falling on his ass, maybe he'll get healthy enough in a year to come back at full force. Otherwise, he's going to be streaky and inconsistent, sitting out games left and right. Heat are really in trouble. They need to start over, somehow. I don't see Shaq as worthwhile anymore. Maybe coming off the bench for a year or two at the most, but I don't see why he doesn't just retire. That team needs to get a lotto pick and pull some more trades to rebuild. Wade is too young to say he's done, but he may not be as good as he can be if he doens't stop and take care of his injuries the right way.

On another note, Nene left the Nuggets for an indefinite amount of time to deal with "personal health issues" and I haven't heard shit else. All the players were talking about praying for his well beaing and health and shit, they made it sound really bad. I cna't help but wonder what's going on with this cat, I think he's cursed.

"Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Denver Nuggets forward Nene has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the team to tend to a personal medical issue.

"I'm very upset that I have to put a little delay on being with the team to take care of my health," said Nene. "It is hard to go through when things seem to be going so well. I thank God that he showed me this issue so I can take care of it. I want to get back on the court as soon as possible to help my teammates. My family and I ask that you respect our privacy during this time." "

The Heat are desperate for some wins. buwahahahahahahaha! Talk about one and out.

Bynum should be aiite. He's young. You would think that the way the LA Times put him on the front page of the sports section over the NFL playoffs, it would be a career-ending injury or something! geezus, stop scaring us like that!!!!

The Heat are desperate for some wins. buwahahahahahahaha! Talk about one and out.

They were built for the long haul anyways.

They were built for the long haul anyways.

I thought the Heat would be around for a long time, and I would never hear the end of it from Shaq fans.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Yeah, Bynum should spring back pretty quick. Unfortunately, dude will probably be out for this Thursday's matchup w/ the Suns in LA. I bought tickets hoping to catch a Bynum/STAT showdown.

But unfortunately, I'll just have to watch Amare dunking in Kwame's face over and over. Bummer. (Honestly, I'd rather see a more even matchup at the F/C spots and am pissed that the youngin' is out for a bit. Maybe turiaf can get some tic-- that dude is endless energy.)