NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• Top 3 reasons why high-scoring offense doesn't win you titles:

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

NewCocky Portland Fan.......

I had this opinion about Nelson long before the current Blazer resurgence.

An innovator, Nelson is credited with, among other things, inventing the concept of the point forward, a tactic which is frequently employed by teams at every level today. His unique brand of basketball is often referred to as Nellie Ball.[/b]

Don Nelson, the second-winningest coach in NBA history[/b]

And he built the Dallas Mavs team that you see today.

whatever. I have been watching Nelson's teams play mediocre defense for many years. Does anyone think that the Mavs were better with Nelson as a coach than Avery Johnson? Oh, and don't forget his amazing performance as coach of the Knicks.

Avery added Defense to his foundation.

And the New York Situation is bullshit. After Riley left the Knick organization wanted another big name at the helm. He was handed the keys to a weak team. He took the ball of the Point guards hands and let Anthony Mason run shit from the wing. Dude was on some other level shit here in NYC cause playin the "proper" way wasnt workin anyways.

Using New York as a gauge for coaches isnt realistic. Isiah did well in Indiana. Larry Brown got his ass burnt in NYC, and any other dude gets burned as well.

Nelson had Brad Lohaus (a 6-10 PF/C) playin the 2 spot....... The pre-cursor to Dirk.

• Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

An innovator, Nelson is credited with, among other things, inventing the concept of the point forward, a tactic which is frequently employed by teams at every level today. His unique brand of basketball is often referred to as Nellie Ball.[/b]

whatever. I have been watching Nelson's teams play mediocre defense for many years. Does anyone think that the Mavs were better with Nelson as a coach than Avery Johnson? Oh, and don't forget his amazing performance as coach of the Knicks.

And the New York Situation is bullshit. After Riley left the Knick organization wanted another big name at the helm. He was handed the keys to a weak team. He took the ball of the Point guards hands and let Anthony Mason run shit from the wing. Dude was on some other level shit here in NYC cause playin the "proper" way wasnt workin anyways.

Using New York as a gauge for coaches isnt realistic. Isiah did well in Indiana. Larry Brown got his ass burnt in NYC, and any other dude gets burned as well.

Nelson had Brad Lohaus (a 6-10 PF/C) playin the 2 spot....... The pre-cursor to Dirk.

When Jeff Van Gundy took the reigns from Nelson he made that team look pretty good.

Top 3 reasons why high-scoring offense doesn't win you titles:

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

I believe that Defense wins championships BUT the gap is closing fast.

The shit that Don Nelson was trying for years was conceptually ahead of the talent level of the League then.
    Now he can assemble a cast of tweeners that do most everything.

The Suns coach has revved up the league w/ Euro-speed and many Euro cats are leaving thier mark in the L.

Riley has talked for years about having a starting five of Magic Johnson's who are positionless.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

The shit that Don Nelson was trying for years was conceptually ahead of the talent level of the League then.

The Suns coach has revved up the league w/ Euro-speed and many Euro cats are leaving thier mark in the L.

Riley has talked for years about having a starting five of Magic Johnson's who are positionless.

Until I see it, I won't believe it.

I probably need to watch more college ball.

On the subject of Don Nelson, how true might this be?

Golden State Warriors: Remember last month when Don Nelson "pulled the plug early" against the Pistons, basically conceding a game because he figured they wouldn't win it anyway? At the time, Nelson said: "That's the way it goes sometimes. We pulled the plug early on this one. We weren't playing well enough to beat these guys today." Does anybody get the feeling he did the same thing last night against the Blazers? I mean, Baron Davis only played 13 minutes. Austin Croshere played almost twice as many minutes as the Warriors' starters (except Monta Ellis). You know, Phil Jackson once claimed (in his book The Last Season) that Nelson would sometimes get ejected from a game so that he could leave early and hit the bars (and we all know that Nelson loves him some beer). Is he conceding games to save his players' legs (especially the injury-prone Davis), or is he simply in a hurry to go crack open a frosty beverage?

Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

When Jeff Van Gundy took the reigns from Nelson he made that team look pretty good.

10 game improvement is "pretty good". Van Gundy benefitted from Nelson's shake ups. Believe me.

Van Gundy versus Zo's leg. That era was dope. You gotta give Van Gundy his propers though. The scores are always like 83-79 or some shit. When you play defense, you give yourself a good chance to win.

• are you guys seriously implying that one of the game's winningest coaches would rather swill beer than coach basketball?

Van Gundy versus Zo's leg. That era was dope. You gotta give Van Gundy his propers though. The scores are always like 83-79 or some shit. When you play defense, you give yourself a good chance to win.

The next year, the Knicks were second place in the Atlantic Division with a 55???27 record. The team defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers before facing the Pacers again in the second round. The tone for the Knicks???Pacers series was set in Game 1, as Miller once again became a clutch nuisance to the Knicks by scoring eight points in the final 8 seconds of the game to give the Pacers a 107???105 victory. The series went to a Game 7, and when Patrick Ewing's last-second finger roll attempt to tie the game missed, the Pacers clinched the 97???95 win. Riley resigned the next day, and the Knicks hired Don Nelson as their new head coach.
    During the 1995???96 season, Nelson was fired after 59 games, and, instead of going after another well-known coach, the Knicks hired longtime assistant Jeff Van Gundy, who had no prior experience as a head coach. The Knicks ended up with a 47???35 record that year, and swept the Cavaliers in the first round of the playoffs before losing to the eventual champion Bulls (who had an NBA record 72 wins in the regular season) in five games.
    In the 1996???97 season, the Knicks, with the additions of such players as Larry Johnson and Allan Houston, registered a 57???25 record. In the playoffs, the Knicks swept the Charlotte Hornets in the first round before facing the Miami Heat (coached by Riley) in the second round. The Knicks took a 3???1 lead in the series before a brawl near the end of Game 5 resulted in suspensions of key players. Many of the suspended Knicks players, Ewing in particular, were disciplined not for participating in the altercation itself, but for violating an NBA rule stipulating that a benched player may not leave the bench during a fight (the rule was subsequently amended, making it illegal to leave the "bench area"). With Ewing and Houston suspended for Game 6, Johnson and Starks suspended for Game 7, and Charlie Ward suspended for both, the Knicks lost the series.

Van Gundy was good and is a Riley guy who emphasized Defense.
    Nelson came in and tried to apply his concepts to the fat and aging Knicks team cant execute what he wanted.

I watched all those games. Nelson got fired cause his shit was crazy unorthodox. It was one of the most entertaining basketball in NYC for a minute. Dude knew that Patrick was over the hill and did what he had to do.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

Damn, ya'll are some crusty little dudes.

• are you guys seriously implying that one of the game's winningest coaches would rather swill beer than coach basketball?

That was actually what Phil Jackson said in his book. I'm not sure how much I trust Phil Jackson but it makes a pretty good story/rumour.

are you guys seriously implying that one of the game's winningest coaches would rather swill beer than coach basketball?

That was actually what Phil Jackson said in his book. I'm not sure how much I trust Phil Jackson but it makes a pretty good story/rumour.

Jackson is a master at instigating opponents, whether the facts are true or not.

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

Damn, ya'll are some crusty little dudes.

Wanna add your thoughts?

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets

I DON'T BELIEVE.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I'm with Batmon on this one-

Don Nelson is a true original. He was an essential catalyst in the development of modern NBA basketball. His approach allowed for a more fluid, reactionary and eventually, adaptive approach to managing games through coaching. It's also incredibly entertaining to watch. As his record shows, it's also successful.

Personally, I've been watching Nelson coach since his first tour in GS, and have found myself more personally invested in the successes and failures of his teams than any other-- it's basketball that I relate to moreso than that orchestrated by phil jackson, either of the van gundys, scott skiles, isaah, karl, riley, et al.

He's the muthafuckin' Steve Albini of basketball coaching. Nobody who knows anything about basketball questions his ability or understanding of the game-- some just condemn his approach.

He's like the anti-establishment coach (someone like skiles being the embodiment of "the establishment"), and it's rubbed off on more than a few of today's Western powerhouses and a few of the eastern upstarts (i'm looking at you, atlanta) in the L.

and the man enjoys a tasty beverage from time to time.

DO NOT TET DON NELSON.

are you guys seriously implying that one of the game's winningest coaches would rather swill beer than coach basketball?

No. Not knocking his love of the alcoholic beverage either. Just funny how Jackson goes about talking shit all the time.

• Van Gundy versus Zo's leg. That era was dope. You gotta give Van Gundy his propers though. The scores are always like 83-79 or some shit. When you play defense, you give yourself a good chance to win.

The next year, the Knicks were second place in the Atlantic Division with a 55???27 record. The team defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers before facing the Pacers again in the second round. The tone for the Knicks???Pacers series was set in Game 1, as Miller once again became a clutch nuisance to the Knicks by scoring eight points in the final 8 seconds of the game to give the Pacers a 107???105 victory. The series went to a Game 7, and when Patrick Ewing's last-second finger roll attempt to tie the game missed, the Pacers clinched the 97???95 win. Riley resigned the next day, and the Knicks hired Don Nelson as their new head coach.
    During the 1995???96 season, Nelson was fired after 59 games, and, instead of going after another well-known coach, the Knicks hired longtime assistant Jeff Van Gundy, who had no prior experience as a head coach. The Knicks ended up with a 47???35 record that year, and swept the Cavaliers in the first round of the playoffs before losing to the eventual champion Bulls (who had an NBA record 72 wins in the regular season) in five games.
    In the 1996???97 season, the Knicks, with the additions of such players as Larry Johnson and Allan Houston, registered a 57???25 record. In the playoffs, the Knicks swept the Charlotte Hornets in the first round before facing the Miami Heat (coached by Riley) in the second round. The Knicks took a 3???1 lead in the series before a brawl near the end of Game 5 resulted in suspensions of key players. Many of the suspended Knicks players, Ewing in particular, were disciplined not for participating in the altercation itself, but for violating an NBA rule stipulating that a benched player may not leave the bench during a fight (the rule was subsequently amended, making it illegal to leave the "bench area"). With Ewing and Houston suspended for Game 6, Johnson and Starks suspended for Game 7, and Charlie Ward suspended for both, the Knicks lost the series.

Nelson came in and tried to apply his concepts to the fat and aging Knicks team cant execute what he wanted.

I watched all those games. Nelson got fired cause his shit was crazy unorthodox. It was one of the most entertaining basketball in NYC for a minute. Dude knew that Patrick was over the hill and did what he had to do.

Nelson was right about Ewing being over the hill, it was an impossible situation that the Knicks were never able to deal with successfully. But Nelson's solution was to make Ewing hang aroud the perimeter and throw up 17 footers. I first became an NBA fan watching Pat Riley's Knicks teams in the 90s and loved their style of play. Nelson's approach to that same team didn't properly utilise their strengths. Maybe he could have gradually moved in a new style, but he didn't. Instead he pissed off his players, just like at the end of his fist tenure with Golden State.

No doubt.

Im just sayin that there are alot more teams incorporating the Run-N-Gun steez and less and less dominant real Centers are in the L as well. Its only a matter of time where one of these systems is gonna figure out how to score alot and stop muthafuckas at will.

The Spurs are the closest but Duncan is a throwback/classic big man.

I'm with Batmon on this one-

Don Nelson is a true original. He was an essential catalyst in the development of modern NBA basketball. His approach allowed for a more fluid, reactionary and eventually, adaptive approach to managing games through coaching. It's also incredibly entertaining to watch. As his record shows, it's also successful.

Personally, I've been watching Nelson coach since his first tour in GS, and have found myself more personally invested in the successes and failures of his teams than any other-- it's basketball that I relate to moreso than that orchestrated by phil jackson, either of the van gundys, scott skiles, isaah, karl, riley, et al.

He's the muthafuckin' Steve Albini of basketball coaching. Nobody who knows anything about basketball questions his ability or understanding of the game-- some just condemn his approach.

He's like the anti-establishment coach (someone like skiles being the embodiment of "the establishment"), and it's rubbed off on more than a few of today's Western powerhouses and a few of the eastern upstarts (i'm looking at you, atlanta) in the L.

and the man enjoys a tasty beverage from time to time.

DO NOT TET DON NELSON.

You're making quite a few assumptions in your arguments.

But otherwise, that's cool.

I DON'T BELIEVE.
    biggest upset in NBA playoff history. if you don't believe, you didn't watch.

• some just condemn his approach.

I like watching his teams play offense for the most part. But I like hard nosed, physical basketball (sometimes boring, I know). I hate watching big guys float around the perimeter and never bang inside.

Nelson was right about Ewing being over the hill, it was an impossible situation that the Knicks were never able to deal with successfully. But Nelson's solution was to make Ewing hang aroud the perimeter and throw up 17 footers. I first became an NBA fan watching Pat Riley's Knicks teams in the 90s and loved their style of play. Nelson's approach to that same team didn't properly utilise their strengths. Maybe he could have gradually moved in a new style, but he didn't. Instead he pissed off his players, just like at the end of his fist tenure with Golden State.

Some of that is true, but Pat Ewing was was shooter by then anyways. His days of catching the ball in the paint and banging it were long gone. Dude just moved him to where he was floating to in the first place.
    And yeah he didnt utilize thier strengths because it was time to go in a different direction.

No doubt.

Im just sayin that there are alot more teams incorporating the Run-N-Gun steez and less and less dominant real Centers are in the L as well. Its only a matter of time where one of these systems is gonna figure out how to score alot and stop muthafuckas at will.

I've learned from my 3 on 3 games at the Y (or what have you) that dudes who look to score, get lazy on defense. They try to expend the least amount of energy on this end, and think all rewards come with making a basket (in which cases, most rewards are at the offensive end - fat contract, headlines, magazine covers, superstar branding, endorsements, appearance fees, the list is endless.) And what do you get for helping out on defense? Maybe an all-defensive team recognition and a mediocre salary as a "role player".

some just condemn his approach.

I like watching his teams play offense for the most part. But I like hard nosed, physical basketball (sometimes boring, I know). I hate watching big guys float around the perimeter and never bang inside.

I agree. i like Boring ball as well but not as Boring as LeBoring.

i'll admit that his teams have lacked a post up presence and may be criticized as non-physical in the traditionalist sense, (maybe that explains dirk's hangups... it's like dirk's got a nelson hangover,) but to say his teams aren't physical at all is nuts-- especially the current warriors. Read post game interviews from their opponents-- the warriors SCRAP[/b]. (but yeah, they sucked last night. if you were a paying ticket holder at that game, i understand your frustration.)

No doubt.

I've learned from my 3 on 3 games at the Y (or what have you) that dudes who look to score, get lazy on defense. They try to expend the least amount of energy on this end, and think all rewards come with making a basket (in which cases, most rewards are at the offensive end - headlines, magazine covers, superstar branding, endorsements, appearance fees, the list is endless.) And what do you get for helping out on defense? Maybe an all-defensive team recognition and a mediocre salary as a "role player".

No doubt.

There's a first time for everything and one of these days a Small Ball Team Will get to the Finals at least.

Shit, the Mavs are essentially a Small Ball team.

No doubt.

I've learned from my 3 on 3 games at the Y (or what have you) that dudes who look to score, get lazy on defense. They try to expend the least amount of energy on this end, and think all rewards come with making a basket (in which cases, most rewards are at the offensive end - fat contract, headlines, magazine covers, superstar branding, endorsements, appearance fees, the list is endless.) And what do you get for helping out on defense? Maybe an all-defensive team recognition and a mediocre salary as a "role player".

"Do you have any idea what you are talking about?"

No doubt.

I've learned from my 3 on 3 games at the Y (or what have you) that dudes who look to score, get lazy on defense. They try to expend the least amount of energy on this end, and think all rewards come with making a basket (in which cases, most rewards are at the offensive end - headlines, magazine covers, superstar branding, endorsements, appearance fees, the list is endless.) And what do you get for helping out on defense? Maybe an all-defensive team recognition and a mediocre salary as a "role player".

No doubt.

There's a first time for everything and one of these days a Small Ball Team Will get to the Finals at least.

Shit, the Mavs are essentially a Small Ball team.

Yup. I think so too.