American Gangster/Jay-Z

124»

Comments

• Liked the film. Didnt really think it was too long.

I couldn't help thinking about Commons latest recordcover whenever he was on the screen. That was a bit annoying as was the wu-tang tat. Cover that shit up please. Dont re-use other soundtrack songs unless there's a specific use for them. I also noticed the contemporary graffiti but didnt mind that too much.

2 weeks ago I spent a night at the Lenox Lounge where some parts of the film was shot. It was interesting to see how little they had done and still how much it looks like the 70s.

Dress

• I'm taking my pops to see this on friday. Yo...is there like nudity? Sorry, I'm not trying to sit with my dad watching boobs bouncing all over the screen.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am one of those nit-picky movie watchers. It drives me nuts when continuity is off and there are anachronisms.

How does this move look to folks? I have a burn of it, apparently amazing quality, but I would rather see it on the big screen if it's actually a good looking film - is it?

• All of a sudden it goes from being a tepid picture to a straight terd?
    As was pointed out you're being overcritical those are minor instances which your average moviegoer wouldn't even notice much less make bother them.
    I paid the equivalent of 5 US $ to see it here it was money well spent.

Oh I didn't get into the reasons why I didn't like the movie. I felt it was basically unimaginitive, the pacing was too fast in some parts, there were no surprises, no twists, and I predicted more than half the shit that went down. All in all, it was boring. Yeah I know it was based off of a true story, but I got more enjoyment watching the A&E shit on Lucas than I did from watching this movie. And you know, tepid is better. Tepid means luke warm. A terd is usually a little hotter than that.

• I'm taking my pops to see this on friday. Yo...is there like nudity? Sorry, I'm not trying to sit with my dad watching boobs bouncing all over the screen.

Just the naked chicks in the projects bagging up the product. There was maybe one sex scene? I don't remember. If there was one, it was forgetable.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'm taking my pops to see this on friday. Yo...is there like nudity? Sorry, I'm not trying to sit with my dad watching boobs bouncing all over the screen.

Yup a lot boobs are shown in the drug processing/cutting scenes.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

How does this move look to folks? I have a burn of it, apparently amazing quality, but I would rather see it on the big screen if it's actually a good looking film - is it?

The overall look was grimey
    The locations shot looked fantastic to me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't know if anyone else made it out (since tickets were $150!) but I caught Jay at the House of Blues in Hollywood last night. It was a rather awesome 90 minute set, featuring 30 songs, and included cameos by Freeway, Beans and Bleek (plus appearances by Diddy and J Dupri). Good god, "PSA" and "U Don't Know" sound Frickin' amazing loud, as does "Roc Boys."

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I don't know if anyone else made it out (since tickets were $150!) but I caught Jay at the House of Blues in Hollywood last night. It was a rather awesome 90 minute set, featuring 30 songs, and included cameos by Freeway, Beans and Bleek (plus appearances by Diddy and J Dupri). Good god, "PSA" and "U Don't Know" sound Frickin' amazing loud, as does "Roc Boys."

Nice..backed by live band or DJ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My Mom said.....

American Gangster > Training Day

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Nice..backed by live band or DJ?

Live band, plus a DJ (CDJ and Microwave armed). It was a 13 piece band, assuming you include the DJ and 3 back-up singers as part of the band.

It was my first time ever seeing Jay live and he performed as well as I could have imagined; it's made easier by the fact that he's got an insane catalog of hit after hit so you know the crowd was feeling it. Notably though, he didn't perform anything pre-Vol 3 with the exception of maybe one or two songs like "Jigga, My Nigga" and "Jigga What, Jigga Who". Nothing off of "Reasonable Doubt" or "Vol. 1". A lot of songs off Blueprint, Black Album, plus 1/3rd of the show was based on American Gangster. I thought it was a solid balance and bringing out the ROC Boys was a nice touch for real headz.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Movie was doo doo and I would have been right pissed if I paid to see it. Boring and cliche. Washington and Crowe have the screen presence of paper bags. The scene which Lucas meets his future wife had as much chemistry and sexual tension as two sneakers on a shelf. How could this happen? Almost three hours and this is all they can come up with? Lucas had an incredbile life and this movie reduced it to a bowl of oatmeal. Wasn't the man instrumental in rebuilding Harlem and putting back into the community in numerous ways? Why is this aspect reduced to a half-assed scene of him handing out turkeys?

The one time there was something dynamic happening was when Lucas tells Barnes to re-name his package - thanks mostly to Gooding Jr. - but that lasted all of a minute and half.

Anthony Hamilton sounded good.

• Movie was doo doo and I would have been right pissed if I paid to see it. Boring and cliche. Washington and Crowe have the screen presence of paper bags. The scene which Lucas meets his future wife had as much chemistry and sexual tension as two sneakers on a shelf. How could this happen? Almost three hours and this is all they can come up with? Lucas had an incredbile life and this movie reduced it to a bowl of oatmeal. Wasn't the man instrumental in rebuilding Harlem and putting back into the community in numerous ways? Why is this aspect reduced to a half-assed scene of him handing out turkeys?

The one time there was something dynamic happening was when Lucas tells Barnes to re-name his package - thanks mostly to Gooding Jr. - but that lasted all of a minute and half.

Finally, somebody feels me. They could have done so much more with this movie. Like I said, I got more enjoyment out of watching the documentary on Lucas on A&E or BET or whatever channel that was on.

• Lame movie, great album.

• writers from the new millenium up in the background

that was funny. then they tagged up fake Stay High's at the end.

the movie was so-so. i'll watch it 8 or 9 more times instead of my normal 80 or 90.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Movie was doo doo and I would have been right pissed if I paid to see it. Boring and cliche. Washington and Crowe have the screen presence of paper bags. The scene which Lucas meets his future wife had as much chemistry and sexual tension as two sneakers on a shelf. How could this happen? Almost three hours and this is all they can come up with? Lucas had an incredbile life and this movie reduced it to a bowl of oatmeal. Wasn't the man instrumental in rebuilding Harlem and putting back into the community in numerous ways? Why is this aspect reduced to a half-assed scene of him handing out turkeys?

Yes, very disappointing.

And CGJR nailed Nickey Barnes, at least based upon what I saw of him in Mr. Untouchable.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    agreed. the film was especially bad because they were clearly shootinig for an oscar-worthy "epic." but there wasn't an original moment in the film.

i'd also put money down that ridley scott doesn't know the definition of subtlety.

I wanna see that Russell Crowe/Denzell Sci-Fi flick again. Whatchamacallit?

Anyone cattch that Jay-Z Vh1 AG live joint yet. Where he explains the songs to the audience? Its allright.

• Caught it live

I've only seen the latter half, from "Party Life" on, as a broadcast.

Caught it live

I've only seen the latter half, from "Party Life" on, as a broadcast.

Ooops. You did mention this.

Album vs Live? Critique?

And have u ssen the Resonable Doubt Classic Albums Doc on VH1?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Jay-Z Vh1 AG live joint

megaupload.com/?d=XNBKYV8A

• Haven't seen the Reasonable Doubt thing.

I thought the songs all sounded better live. Even after seeing it in person I still don't like "I Know" and I wish he would've done "American Gangster" or at least a verse from "Hello Brooklyn" instead. Though Jay might have lost a step in the studio, he's gained one live, and was really entertaining to watch in that setting.

I really like the album.

I like the album.

• I was done with Jay's lame ass after Kingdome Come, but his verse on Success brought me back. Nas' verse is decent, but has nothing of the charisma of Jay's. Then I saw the Roc Boys Video. Now I'm sold. On this album he sounds comfortable in his new mature-boss persona, where he sounded flat and insecure on Kingdom Come. The 70s style warm production is real nice, too ( aside from Blue Magic, which is not only tepid, but sounds entirely out of place).

• I like the album.

yeah, late pass status for me. i thought the album was pretty dope though! sort of strange seeing "diddy" with so many production credits - like 2/3 of the album? the no ID tracks were nice!

so, i went to pick up the singles for roc boys and blue magic and found all that they had on them was radio and main versions! no inst, no acapellas. WTF? i just bought the album instead. they coulda had me buying two singles and the full length but whats the point of that? why the hell would they not put extra versions on the singles?

• oh yeah, the beats on this one FAR outshined kingdom come!