American Gangster/Jay-Z

Comments

• DJ Toomp proves once again that he's the best producer out there. And Nas actually shows some energy on a track, especially when he and hov shouted "LET THAT BITCH BREATHE!" I had to laugh the first time I heard that. And why can't the Neptunes do more spacey disco shit like "I know," that song is late nite downtown driving in the 760li music. I dunno, isn't this the type of real schitt rap album that people really wanted from Jay, I don't get what the complaining is about.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    but I'm prepared to wait until the actual release date and listen to a non-jankified before casting final judgment.

^^^ BRONX-BROOKLYN BIAS ^^^

Real Talk....

I want the real album.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    but I'm prepared to wait until the actual release date and listen to a non-jankified before casting final judgment.

^^^ BRONX-BROOKLYN BIAS ^^^

Real Talk....

I want the real album.

Word. My version of both the "intro" and "Pray" ends early - this the same with other people's copy?

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    sorry if this has been brought up, but:

12. Success
    Produced by N0-ID for So So Def [/b] Productions, Inc.
    ???

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

This is painful to listen to, considering how he would have KILLED IT ON THESE BEATS before. I'm still gonna listen to this shit in the car though (maybe...maybe not).

Is anybody else listening to these beats for the first time, and playing in your head, how he would've rhymed in his prime?

• You don't think he's killing these beats, Yuichi?

You don't think he's killing these beats, Yuichi?

Jay-Z is probably one of my favorite rappers ever........I know what he can do......you remember when Jordan came back from his second retirement, and had a wide open dunk on the break and missed? It sounds kinda like that. And then he had that other Allstar Game where, he sunk a baseline fadeaway jumper to force overtime. I say just stick to the jumpers and leave the acrobatics for the young kids.

Jay-z would probably fair much better, writing an autobiography right now than he would rhyming.

All that said, doesn't mean I'm not excited as hell about this album.

Jay-Z is probably one of my favorite rappers ever........I know what he can do......you remember when Jordan came back from his second retirement, and had a wide open dunk on the break and missed? It sounds kinda like that. And then he had that other Allstar Game where, he sunk a baseline fadeaway jumper to force overtime. I say just stick to the jumpers and leave the acrobatics for the young kids.

Jay-z would probably fair much better, writing an autobiography right now than he would rhyming.

I think Yuichi should ONLY write about rap using basketball metaphors from here on out.

I think Yuichi should ONLY write about rap using basketball metaphors from here on out.

They go hand in hand. Ask AI.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm still stunned at what's being implied here.

Indeed.

It's possible I was merely unaware of your closeted love for jiggy-hop, but when those records came out you were absolutely NOT riding for shit like "Money Ain't A Thing" or "Money Cash Hoes".

Dude, don't let my URB years fool you. True, I wouldn't have played "Money Cash Hoes" out but I was all into "Money Ain't a Thing" and "Can I Get A..."

So, while you wouldn't have played them out, they formed a crucial part of the soundtrack to your private mindclub?

Jay-Z takes too much for granted, wasting his effortless skill on far too many uninspired hip pop songs....

But for every track like A Week Ago, you have to cope with double the number of songs such as Money, Cash, Hoes, Ride or Die and Paper Chase, most of which suffer from listless cameos (Too $hort, DMX) and generic production despite help from Timbaland and Erick Sermon (Nigga What..., Resevoir Dogs).

Biggie, who built the rap throne Jay-Z now rules, was no stranger to pop hits, but he also knew that he had to come with some rough-n'-rugged songs if wanted to maintain his overall credibility. Jay-Z either doesn't know it, or just doesn't care and you're left with the impression that he takes the easy way out with Hard Knock Life.

• PWNED!

The fact that you went out of your way to find those is kind of scary. Quit stalkin!

In any case, that review doesn't contradict the basic principle that there was still jiggy Jay stuff I was riding for in the era, including "N---- What, N---- Who" and "Hard Knock Life" was pretty pop-y (albeit in a diff way from some of other joints on here).

And production-wise, I still like "Money Cash Hoes" >>> that listless shit on "Pray" and "No Hook."

BTW, for whoever is curious, here are the full prod credits:

I thought the use of Idris Elba on the Intro is pretty funny.

1. Intro
    Performed by Idris Elba
    Produced by Chris Flame for Earbrain Productions
    Co-Produced by Idris ???Driis??? Elba for HEADSHELL/HEVLAR Recordings

2. Pray
    Produced by DIDDY and LV & SEAN C for Grind Music/The Hitmen/Bad Boy Entertainment

3. American Dreamin???
    Produced by DIDDY and LV & SEAN C for Grind Music/The Hitmen/Bad Boy Entertainment
    Co-Produced by Mario Winans for Yellow City Entertainment/The Senate

4. Hello Brooklyn 2.0 feat. Lil Wayne
    Produced by BIGG D for Bigg D Entertainment, LLC.

5. No Hook
    Produced by DIDDY and LV & SEAN C for Grind Music/ The Hitmen/Bad Boy Entertainment

6. Roc Boys (And The Winner Is)???

7. Sweet

8. I Know
    Produced by The Neptunes

9. Party Life

10. Ignorant Sh*t featuring Beanie Sigel
    Produced by Just Blaze for F.O.B. Entertainment/N.Q.C. Management, LLC and Hip Hop Since 1978[/b] These two songs weren't on the rip I heard. Are they on anyone else's?

11. Say Hello
    Produced by Toomp for Zone Boy Productions

12. Success feat. Nas
    Produced by N0-ID for So So Def Productions, Inc.
    Co-produced by Jermaine Dupri for So So Def Productions, Inc.

13. Fallin???
    Produced by Jermaine Dupri for So So Def Productions, Inc.
    Co-produced by No-ID for So So Def Productions, Inc.

14. American Gangster
    Produced by Just Blaze for F.O.B. Entertainment/N.Q.C. Management, LLC and Hip Hop Since 1978

15. Blue Magic
    Produced by The Neptunes

• He performed "Party Life" at the VH1 taping I attended... dope track that samples the Little Beaver tune.

I can't see how you'd call "Pray" and "Dreaming" listless... I think you really need to spend time trying to make out the lyrics. As the man himself said, "wouldn't want to be outside the bubble on this one!"

Sean C and LV are good customers of mine and they are buying soul records... to sample... to give you guys the beats you have been asking for! They did a good portion of Ghostface's new album too...

I'll be getting blue "Blue Magic" vinyl tomorrow... and some albums hopefully next week.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this record is 100% heat. it's been on constant rotation in the car for the past 48 hours.
    can't wait to see the show at HOB on the 6th.

LET THAT BITCH BREATHE

• He performed "Party Life" at the VH1 taping I attended... dope track that samples the Little Beaver tune.

WTF?!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

No, it's a real Jay album--it's not a soundtrack and has no real connection to the movie other than sharing a title...

... and was inspired by his advance viewing of the film.

"Success" and "Fallin" are as good as any hip-hop I've heard this year. The beat on Roc Boys as well, but at first glance it seems to outshine the vocals. Not much else jumps out to me, but unlike what a few people here are saying, I think everything we've heard so far (still waiting on two tracks, Ignorant Shit and Party Life) makes for a consistent listen -- just not a 5-star listen.

After Kingdom Come and the Black Album (and, uh, Collision Course), who was expecting a 5-star album from Jay in 2007? With expectations lowered accordingly, this is a pleasant surprise.

WTF?!

I'm confused. What's up?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    He performed "Party Life" at the VH1 taping I attended... dope track that samples the Little Beaver tune.

WTF?!

I'm confused. What's up?

I beleive he wants to know how you attended this taping

• Oh, haha. I have a friend up at MTV that recommended they shoot some stuff down at the shop (specifically, "an old turntable"). They never showed up to shoot the footage but I got the free tix anyway. It was Jay-Z, a 12 piece band (featuring the Hypnotic Brass on horns I think?) and an audience of maybe 200. Dope!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Little beavers @ VH1?

• Oh, haha. I have a friend up at MTV that recommended they shoot some stuff down at the shop (specifically, "an old turntable"). They never showed up to shoot the footage but I got the free tix anyway. It was Jay-Z, a 12 piece band (featuring the Hypnotic Brass on horns I think?) and an audience of maybe 200. Dope!

Lucky ass bastard! I am jealous.

BTW, I am diggin this album like crazy so far. Shits been playing on loop since 7am this morning(11am now).

Fuck all the haters.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

12. Success
    ???

This is fuckin' nuts - a real "punch a motherfucker in the face" joint.

12. Success
    ???

This is fuckin' nuts - a real "punch a motherfucker in the face" joint.
    so long as he can make that yaper with cuts like these, im not mad at all.

Let that bitch, breathe.

The re-revist:

I have a long commute so I played this out, again, full volume, the whole way down. And I think I can answer why it is I find "Pray," and "American Dream" so listless. It's two things, namely:

First of all, not to get all Sasha Frere-Jones about it...but the tracks lack syncopation, there's very little swing/funk/whateverthefuckyouwanttocall it underneath them. Compare that with even the candy-ass Neptunes track for "I Know" which drizzles all kinds of polyrhythm in between the handclaps. On a basic, rhythmic level, these two songs (and to a lesser extent, "No Hook" too) bore me.

The second issue is the flow that Jay puts on those two lead songs: it's both that "I'm being serious - listen to how breath-y my flow is now" style but also how he's elongating his syllables at the end of every sentence. I find it annoying and a bit contrived.

Jay does this elsewhere. The elongated syllable thing is in full effect on "Say Hello" but given that I like the track better on that song, I'm more forgiving of it. In other words, with "Pray" and "American Dream" - I can't stand EITHER the beat or the flow and that's pretty much two strikes and out.

Are the songs terrible? Not at all. "Pray," especially is one of the more interesting songs in terms of the lyrical content (certainly, a lot more than "I Know") and "American Dream" is compelling on a conceptual level too. But as a listener, the two songs are so plodding and sluggish that they begin the album with a bad start, hence why I initially found AG kind of inconsistent.

By the way: I would like to see the movie and go back to the album...I think I was expecting the album to be more based around vignettes or have a grand narrative arc but this doesn't feel very episodic in terms of the song-to-song movement even though I can see a semblance on a thread (just not a very strong one). It could be that the "inspirations" for each song will make more sense once you view the film however.

All these pointed critiques aside, I liked the second half of "AG" quite a bit. "Roc Boys" especially is a great way to kick up the momentum on the album and I don't feel like the track overshadows Jay at all. By the way, anyone think of Special Ed's "Come On, Let's Move It" during the first set of verses, when Jay's doing the "thanks to..." lines? Anyways, I liked the double entendre of "and thanks to you, the customer."

"Sweet" was nice, "I Know" kind of piffle but whatever, and "Say Hello" is great - a song you can sink into.

And that brings up "Success" which, for me, is the album's high point. It's not necessarily the most lyrically deep song on the album but good god - the energy here is immense and going back to the syncopation tip - the way Jay is rattling off his lines, playing off the 8th notes, adds to how powerfully the song moves. Besides, as a '90s dude, I love hearing Jay and Nas joining forces, especially in contrasting their different approaches.

The remainder of the album goes well though, on this listen, I did find "Blue Magic" a bit out of sequence. The song sounds better as part of an album rather than loose single, but I felt like it should have been earlier somewhere. It sounds like this leak wasn't complete anyway so maybe the final sequence will be shifted anyway.

Personally, I can't say I like this better than "The Black Album" but I'd put it ahead of "Kingdom Come," "La Familia" and "The Blueprint 2" (not that this is saying much). Compared to "Kingdom Come", I think "AG" makes a far better claim to Jay's continued relevancy as an artist. I'd probably put it on my Top 10 list, regardless.

• Damn, yall read WAYYYY too much into rap albums. Its a fuking rap record. (that I like)

Damn, yall read WAYYYY too much into rap albums. Its a fuking rap record. (that I like)

Ok, in that case: I thought half of this album was shit I like. The first third was kind of wack to me.

Happier?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Sean C and LV are good customers of mine and they are buying soul records... to sample... to give you guys the beats you have been asking for! They did a good portion of Ghostface's new album too...

Is this Sean C of Vinyl Reanimators fame/notoriety?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This album if you can call it that is a two tracker at best
    I cant see why anyone that came up on 90's hip hop would be in awe
    of anything on there.
    I cant believe you people made me waste my time previewing it on Amazon.