American Gangster/Jay-Z

Comments

• ALBUM IS Frickin' WEAK. CLOSE THREAD

You are irrelevant in Soul Strut discussions....

and guess what..

everyone on this board wishes you would go away.

Happy Halloween, homo.

PS- i'd like to bitch smack you just because you are annoying...and I know I could get away with it. Homo.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This album if you can call it that is a two tracker at best
    I cant see why anyone that came up on 90's hip hop would be in awe
    of anything on there.
    I cant believe you people made me waste my time previewing it on Amazon.

^^^^^STILL MAINTAINS THAT LLOYD BANKS WILL BRING NEW YORK BACK

• ALBUM IS Frickin' WEAK. CLOSE THREAD
    everyone on this board wishes you would go away.

90% OF THIS BOARD IS OVER 35 AKA NEARLY DEAD AND IRRELEVANT. ITS ONLY NATURAL THEY WOULD RESENT A YOUNG STAG IN HIS PRIME AMONGST THEIR OLD SPICE SMELLING MIDST

the vest sweater wearer, action figurine package tearer, the novelty tie rocker, self inflicted cock blocker, the mayonaise spreader, the watch french flick double header, the wannabe big thinker, soy milk drinker, the sandal on the foot guy, the 'gee they seem scary' dont even look guy, the shook guy, the 'will people think im smart' if I say I read this book guy, the police teller, the hair geller, the inaccurately described record seller, the scented candle smeller, the fruit of the loom appologist, the amateur psyhcologist, the self apointed this is why they flopped dead career pathologist, the im trying real hard but im as cool as an ologist, the side parting comber, the small boner, the frequent mom phoner, the friday night home aloner, the girl not haver, the sock stabber, the recycled paper bagger, the mr send cheap cheese and wine hamper.[/b]

• 1. Intro
    Performed by Idris Elba

Oh hell yeah.

The ran the whole album Friday night on KMEL and it was cool but I really can't say I was blown away by it. Maybe it's because i've gone back to The Blueprint recently.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    can someone get me a link to this?

please?

where are yall getting it from?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

1. Intro
    Performed by Idris Elba

Oh hell yeah.

A PM from Young Phonics:

Son! I just read in Essence that my boo Idris Elba is married! WTF!?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

please?

anybody? lets get it!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

please?

anybody? lets get it!

I found mine on Soulseek.

• 1. Intro
    Performed by Idris Elba

Oh hell yeah.

A PM from Young Phonics:

Son! I just read in Essence that my boo Idris Elba is married! WTF!?

proj??ect [n. proj-ekt, -ikt; v. pruh-jekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    ???noun

21. Psychology. to ascribe one's own feelings, thoughts, or attitudes to others.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    shit is weak. movie is weak too from what I heard.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I certainly see where Odub's coming from regarding the first couple of tracks though I'd like to hear a properly mastered version before relegating them to the skip pile.

Overall I'm still dealing with the relief that it's so much better than Kingdom Come to fully take in how good/bad the album is. I do know that Success is an absolute monster of a track though.

• A majority of the production sounds dated and the album lacks feeling... Yes, I know this is a concept album but Young Hov should've just kicked a 32 over Big Brother and called it a day...

PS - Half of the tracks from Blueprint 2 dusts this album...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I hope Jigga dusted off the Hammer for this. watched the movie, (the DVD rip is out) was ok. it soon dawned on me that there was zero connection between the two projects. A lot of similarities with the Wire.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    When is the album coming out?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Perhaps my expectations were too high for this album, but I was a bit underwhelmed the first time I listened the album leak. But second time around, it was fire. The album is pretty damn good if you consider it in its entirety, instead of just critiquing song by song.

As for the movie, I have high expectations for that as well, but nothing can touch the Michael Mann's "Heat" in the crime caper genre.

• I got a retail rip with the two missing songs and no janky skips at 256kbit. I'll send it to folks if you need it on the pm's.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The mastering on the leak blows.

The Pharrell tracks are straight awful. Blue Magic is unlistenable.

The rest are aight.

I can imagine though that all these tracks would sound 10 times better played by a live band. I'll wait for the VH1 thing that JP went to.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I copped the official joint last night......

The cover is different that that. And im glad i refrained from listening to the leaks.

Its a very good album. 7.5.

Intro - whatever
    Pray - Grown Ass Man Gangsta Shit
    American Dreamin - Grown n Sexy Ass Man Gangsta Shit
    Hello Brooklyn - Nice Bumps
    No Hook - Incredible Cognac Rap
    Roc Boys(And The Winner Is) - alright....dancefloorish
    Sweet - Cigar Clipper Rap
    I Know - I know Jay needs to leave Pharrel alone
    Partylife - Yacht Rap
    Ignorant Shit - Regular Jiggy Hop, Nice to hear him and Beans go at it - Nice message
    Say Hello - Incredible Cufflink Rap
    Success - Nas is still the better MC - might be the best song here
    Fallin - Snoop flipped that Dramatics shit way better - whatever

Bonus Tracks:
    Blue Magic - alright
    American Gangster - YES

Jay sound relaxed on this shit. I likey.

• just copped the official - I haven't gotten past American Dreamin'. I've rewound the shit 4 times.

what's up with the genre being "Pop?"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Whhaaaa? Blue Magic is the only track I can really dig. The rest of the tracks are just okay in my opinion.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Whhaaaa? Blue Magic is the only track I can really dig. The rest of the tracks are just okay in my opinion.

You got it backwards like

• I copped the official joint last night......

The cover is different that that. And im glad i refrained from listening to the leaks.

Intro - whatever
    Partylife - Yacht Rap
    Ignorant Shit - Regular Jiggy Hop, Nice to hear him and Beans go at it - Nice message

Bonus Tracks:
    Blue Magic - alright
    American Gangster - YES

can you compare to the leak?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I copped the official joint last night......

Intro - whatever
    Partylife - Yacht Rap

Bonus Tracks:
    Blue Magic - alright
    American Gangster - YES

I've been listening to this album a lot since it came out and find that it doesn't really kick in for me until No Hook but from then on I really like it more than I suspect I should do. Nas definitely outshines Jay on Success. I really like Roc Boys. Compared to Kingdom Come it's nice to hear Jay rapping with some swagger again.

• I really like Roc Boys.

I just peeped the video :

http://www.thefader.com/articles/2007/11/6/video-jay-z-roc-boys-and-the-winner-is

got my kinda hyped.

• I listened to the album again yesterday, I like it. It's better than Kingdom Come. I found myself confused about Lil' Wayne on a song with Jay-Z about Brooklyn, but I liked the song. I also found myself really digging that track with Nas. Good shyt.

Also, regarding the movie, which I found to be pretty tepid but good for one viewing, did anybody else happen to notice the complete lack of consistency with the graffiti on the streets for the era? I mean, the beginning of the movie is set in 68/69, no? There's writers from the new millenium up in the background, full color pieces and fill ins and shit. In 1969? Umm, no. My friend said he noticed a sedan drive by in one of the scenes that was from 90s/00s. Shit was kinda slippin' in that regard.

Album>Movie

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Oh.my.god!!! was that a close up of the Rza's wu-tang tattoo.
    Stop nitpicking it, the movie did a good job capturing the grimy look of NYC in the 70's.

• Oh.my.god!!! was that a close up of the Rza's wu-tang tattoo.
    Stop nitpicking it, the movie did a good job capturing the grimy look of NYC in the 70's late 80s/early90s[/b].

That's another thing, what the FUCK was RZA doing in this movie? Of all the actors in the world to make a good movie with, you choose 3 fuckin' rappers? Seriously...

As far as nitpicking, It's a multi-million dollar movie by a good director, don't you think they should have some consistency when setting the movie in a specific era? I mean, I'm the last person to notice shit like that and it was plain as day to me. If I didn't pay my $10 to go see the terd, maybe I wouldn't nitpick it. But that ain't the case.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    99% of the people watching this movie don't notice any of those discrepancies. New York old timers and graff headz but beyond that? I bet most of the people watching this shit don't even know who RZA is or that they focused on his Wu tattoo.

• 99% of the people watching this movie don't notice any of those discrepancies. New York old timers and graff headz but beyond that? I bet most of the people watching this shit don't even know who RZA is or that they focused on his Wu tattoo.

Fuck 99% of people, I paid my $10 too, can't I complain?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    All of a sudden it goes from being a tepid picture to a straight terd?
    As was pointed out you're being overcritical those are minor instances which your average moviegoer wouldn't even notice much less make bother them.
    I paid the equivalent of 5 US $ to see it here it was money well spent.