THE OFFICIAL NFL 2007 THREAD

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There is a huge difference between the Nets moving
    and the Knicks moving. To compare them is absurd.
    If you had said the Knicks, I would have agreed but
    not that it is EC bias, just that the Knicks are 1,000x
    more stable and ingrained in NYC than the Nets are in NJ.

I live on the east coast. We hear all about the west, at
    least as far as the NBA goes. NFL not so much - NFL just
    feels more regional overall, and longstanding AFC/NFC
    disconnections keep teams off the radar.

• Baseball is the best example supporting the east coast bias.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Baseball is the best example supporting the east coast bias.

There are baseball teams on the west coast?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

There are baseball teams west of Chicago?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Every division has its cupcakes but the Seahawks feast on them 6 games every year guaranteed. Take away those games and the Seahawks aren't much better than a .500 team.[/b]

I heavily disagree with the latter statement, and I've also never called Seattle "dominant" (outside of 2005, when they clearly were the class of the NFC), but the out-of-division record you posted still is basically on par for a 10-6 season. Keep in mind: being a few games above .500 in the NFL = playoffs and respect. Being a few games over .500 in the NBA, NHL, or MLB = new coach/staff/players the next year.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

This is true. The west coast plays baseball. It just doesn't have as much deep-seeded tradition and frenetic baseball culture of maybe a Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field. Angels have won a world series. And so did the D-backs. The Rockies made it to the World series last year (although being crushed by NYY). Keep in mind, they did it on a lesser payroll than a Boston or NY.

And regarding, SOI's comments about the lack of east coast bias in the NBA. There has to be some amount of east coast bias, because some of the biggest sports media companies are based on the east coast. ESPN in Connecticut, numerous basketball publications in NYC, the list goes on. And think about all the excessive coverage that the Knicks' circus and the Boston big three has gotten this year.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    the debilitating East Coast Fever[/b]. Help is available, though - Television??? and The Internet??? are new products that help you experience a fuller, more informed lifestyle. Ask your doctor if Television??? and The Internet??? are right for you (some users may experience headaches, dry mouth, and certain sexual side effects).

It's certainly possible. The only time I've been west of the Mississippi was a trip to Vegas.

And until a week ago, I didn't have a TV. I still don't have cable.

And I still don't have internet access at my apartment.

??? You might completely deny the East Coast Bias that is alive and well in all sports, but I believe that it exists.

This Packers fan is well aware of the east coast bias. This Twins fan is especially aware of it.

Dude, just throw in the towel and become a Boston fan. I heard the Santana deal isn't getting done because Boston is insisting that Minnesota also include Mauer, Morneau, the Mayo clinic, and the Mall of America in the deal. I think they should just pull the trigger and be done with it.

• LOL. That was classic.

• - Out of nowhere Seattle beef is hilarious but I could only take about 3 of those posts. Seahawks run a good program. Always winning their division (like they're supposed to)....making the playoffs year after year...their D can scrap...they have a good QB...their coach is a walrus. People don't give teams enough credit for just doing what you're supposed to do which is hard enough.

- If Tennessee is the dogshit team y'all say they are (and they probably are) then J Fish shoulda won Coach of the Year in a landslide. He had my vote. Let that team get Adam Jones back and some WRs and they'll be in the mix.

- Respect to Eli Manning for a helluva game. Glad to see the dude get over for once. Dallas/NYG is gonna be a dogfight.

- Jags/Steelers...it don't matter. Either squad loses Sat. night in Mass. by at least 3 scores.

- San Diego has a nice D and a nice stable of running backs but Phillip Rivers has gotten that team as far as it's gonna go.

- Side note: Yeah, I'da loved to see the Browns up in there too but when you can't beat Cincinatti in Week 16...well that's some straight up "can't-break-out-of-losing-culture" scenario that I've seen played out for my team for years so I shed no tears for Romeo an' them.

- The opening lines have no games coming up closer than 8.5 points. The team I'd give the best chance to pull the upset is NYG.

- Does anyone doubt these are the best 8 teams in the league? I don't.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

- Jags/Steelers...it don't matter. Either squad loses Sat. night in Mass. by at least 3 scores.

I've been down on that loss lately... BUT who am I kidding.. the Steelers did not have a Super Bowl-worthy team this year and I'm kinda glad I did not have to watch another Steelers / Pats embarrassment. If the Stillers can get their shit correct with the O-Line for next year... watch out!

• Whose making it to the conference championships?

Seattle vs Green Bay: I haven't been nice to either team this year. Talked a gang of trash about GB and had to eat my words. I didn't even rate Seattle and Big Chan laughed at me last week (word I hear T*m owes you a filet mignon!). Looking at this game, both teams match up preTty well. I think the game might come down to penalties and turnovers, turnovers sure helped Seattle last week. I call it for the Pack with homefield advantage if their running game is on point, beware of the Seattle secondary.

Jacksonville vs New England: I'm not buying into the upset hype. While I'd much rather the Colts play Jacksonville at home, I know they will be playing the Pats in Foxborough. Yes, the Jaguars are fast and the defense is good, but the offense isn't there and if you are going to beat the Pats you got to put up the points. Who knows though, maybe Fred Taylor will have a career day.

San Diego vs Indianapolis: The return of Marvin Harrison. Its not so much that the Chargers beat the Colts earlier this year, its that the Colts straight up lost that game. The Bolts turned it around at the end of the year, but not enough to win at the RCA Dome. I wish Bob Sanders was on my team.

New York vs Dallas: I'm not saying shit because I'm not confident enough, and I refuse to potentialy wear a Boy George avatar again for a month. But Dallas fans shouldn't write-off the Giants so quickly. These teams have zero love for each other, this is going to be a real smash mouth game.

SO FUCKIN EXCITED!!!!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    New York vs Dallas: I'm not saying shit because I'm not confident enough, and I refuse to potentialy wear a Boy George avatar again for a month. But Dallas fans shouldn't write the Giants off so quickly. These teams have zero love for each other, this is going to be a real smash mouth game.

SO FUCKIN EXCITED!!!!!

Cowboy fans are far from confident. T.O. is playing his typical "I'm not going to tell you if I'm 100% or not" bullshit and Dallas has not looked great in it's last 4 games. No doubt it will be a good, hard fought game.

My take is that it will come down to QB's and Romo > Eli.

BTW.....Rosie was the scary part of that Avatar, not Boy George.

Only 2-for-4 last weekend, so I'm not exactly setting the world on fire with my playoff picks, but I got:

Seattle vs Green Bay: Seattle. Green Bay lost to Chicago 35-7. ???Nuff said.

Jacksonville vs New England: A lot of cats are talmbout how this is going to be close/a trap game, etc. Those people are wrong. Pats by 21.

San Diego vs Indianapolis: It'll be over by the end of 3. Colts by 17.

New York vs Dallas: Eli looked pretty impressive last weekend. That's all you can ask for from dude for the rest of the season. He'll throw two picks easy, maybe as many as four. Still, it won't be a blowout. Dallas in a close one.

Inexplicable graemlin usage:

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

- If Tennessee is the dogshit team y'all say they are (and they probably are) then J Fish shoulda won Coach of the Year in a landslide. He had my vote. Let that team get Adam Jones back and some WRs and they'll be in the mix.

Agreed on the Titans being almost there. Their pass rush alone shut down Rivers for a half. It's only when they started tiring out that Rivers was able to throw downfield and take advantage of the blown coverage that was there all day. (Something Jones could've helped with.) Indy should mop the floor with 'em. (But I secretly hope for an upset, since it'll bump the 49ers' 1st rounder a few spots.)

• New York vs Dallas: I'm not saying shit because I'm not confident enough, and I refuse to potentialy wear a Boy George avatar again for a month. But Dallas fans shouldn't write the Giants off so quickly. These teams have zero love for each other, this is going to be a real smash mouth game.

SO FUCKIN EXCITED!!!!!

Cowboy fans are far from confident. T.O. is playing his typical "I'm not going to tell you if I'm 100% or not" bullshit and Dallas has not looked great in it's last 4 games. No doubt it will be a good, hard fought game.

TO likes to play mind games. I think Webster can cover him though, he might be young and green but at least he can keep up, unlike Sam Madison. As long as TO doesn't get into the young guy's head, we got a good chance of frustrating the ego.

In regards to QB's, I bet all this Jessica Simpson talk is going to get into Tony's head. Did you see how Strahan told the press he would give her a shot if things don't work out with Tony? There is going to be some major shit talking going on. And while Strahan might be saying shit to Tony I can only imagine what Ware will say to Eli. This is going to be a real test for both these dudes.

• Seattle vs Green Bay: Seattle. Green Bay lost to Chicago 35-7. ???Nuff said.

Do NOT kick it to Hester! And really if anyone knows how to beat the Pack its Mike Holmgren

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Do NOT kick it to Hester!

As an aside, why don't teams with suspect special teams coverage use their starting safeties and cornerbacks on punts instead of scrubs?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    New York vs Dallas: I'm not saying shit because I'm not confident enough, and I refuse to potentialy wear a Boy George avatar again for a month. But Dallas fans shouldn't write the Giants off so quickly. These teams have zero love for each other, this is going to be a real smash mouth game.

SO FUCKIN EXCITED!!!!!

TO likes to play mind games. I think Webster can cover him though, he might be young and green but at least he can keep up, unlike Sam Madison. As long as TO doesn't get into the young guy's head, we got a good chance of frustrating the ego.

In regards to QB's, I bet all this Jessica Simpson talk is going to get into Tony's head. Did you see how Strahan told the press he would give her a shot if things don't work out with Tony? There is going to be some major shit talking going on. And while Strahan might be saying shit to Tony I can only imagine what Ware will say to Eli. This is going to be a real test for both these dudes.

Didn't Strahan's ex-wife accuse him of being gay??

• Pats

Pack

Colts

and.............GIANTS!!!!! C'mon boys!!!!!!

• New York vs Dallas: I'm not saying shit because I'm not confident enough, and I refuse to potentialy wear a Boy George avatar again for a month. But Dallas fans shouldn't write the Giants off so quickly. These teams have zero love for each other, this is going to be a real smash mouth game.

SO FUCKIN EXCITED!!!!!

Didn't Strahan's ex-wife accuse him of being gay??

I don't know, quite possibly. Regardless, I think he could still get it up for good ol'Jess, especially if she wore her pink Romo jersey.

Really though I can see all this trash talking leading to some stupid penalties.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Do NOT kick it to Hester!

As an aside, why don't teams with suspect special teams coverage use their starting safeties and cornerbacks on punts instead of scrubs?

Because they don't want the opposing special teams, which IS made up of scrubs, to go knee-huntin' at high speeds. Actually, it depends on what you mean by "starters." Nate Burleson, Kick Returner is also Nate Burleson, 4th-string Receiver (or depending on injuries or the set, 1st or 2nd).

Additionally, Josh Brown, Kicker is also Josh Brown, Hester Dominator.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    GIANTS!!!!! C'mon boys!!!!!!

Now that the fantasy league is over I am OFF the Romo bandwagon. I'm pulling for Eli too to quietly SHIT on the naysayers.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Seattle @ Green Bay- I like both of these teams receiving corps & both of their defenses. I think the Seahawks front seven limits Ryan Grant and pressures Brett Favre. The Green Bay secondary has been great this year, but the Seahawk receivers are 4 deep and DJ Hackett is a huge guy they like to use isolated on one side or in the slot in the red zone to get mismatches with his size. The snow may affect the Seahawks, which is my only concern, but I'm taking the Seahawks[/b] in the close upset.

Jacksonville @ New England- If Jacksonville sticks to the run game and do it well, they may have a chance. But watching last week's game against Pittsburgh, Jack Del Rio seems to like to throw the ball, which will be trouble for the Jags. Nevertheless, Belichick likes to take away what the other team does best, so look for the Pats D to stop the run & their offense to spread out the Jags' D and pass. I've been impressed with the Jags this year, but they are just outmatched against this team. Patriots[/b]

San Diego @ Indianapolis- The Colts have been quietly playing fantastic football all year. The Chargers will have a chance to win if Chambers & Jackson step up with Gates likely out. The Colts will be focusing on LT, and I think they will do a good job limiting him. Philip Rivers needs to step up today. On the other side of the ball, I think even if Harrison is not 100%, the Colts have more than enough weapons to outscore the Chargers. Colts[/b]

New York @ Dallas- I underestimated both Eli & the Giants pass rush last week, but I'm stubborn, and still think Eli is far too inconsistent from game to game. The Dallas O-line has shown they can handle the Giants' pass rush in the 2 games this year & if they do, they have far too many stars on offense for the Giants' D. If Eli has a great game, look for a high-scoring close game, if not look for a Cowboys blowout. Cowboys[/b]

• Seattle @ Green Bay- I like both of these teams receiving corps & both of their defenses. I think the Seahawks front seven limits Ryan Grant and pressures Brett Favre. The Green Bay secondary has been great this year, but the Seahawk receivers are 4 deep and DJ Hackett is a huge guy they like to use isolated on one side or in the slot in the red zone to get mismatches with his size. The snow may affect the Seahawks, which is my only concern, but I'm taking the Seahawks[/b] in the close upset.

Ouch!

This victory goes out to Debar!

I honestly thought the game was lost early on.

• Ryan Grant is GOOD.

There is little I enjoy more than playoff football in the snow.

Jags/Pats....ballsy call on the fourth down. I think the TD was too close and play would've withstood review. It's hard not to root for Del Rio, Gerrard, Fred Taylor, Jones-Drew......but I got no dog. This game might turn out better than I thought, which would be a win.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Seattle @ Green Bay- I like both of these teams receiving corps & both of their defenses. I think the Seahawks front seven limits Ryan Grant and pressures Brett Favre. The Green Bay secondary has been great this year, but the Seahawk receivers are 4 deep and DJ Hackett is a huge guy they like to use isolated on one side or in the slot in the red zone to get mismatches with his size. The snow may affect the Seahawks, which is my only concern, but I'm taking the Seahawks[/b] in the close upset.

Ouch!

This victory goes out to Debar!

No shit, the Seahawks D disappeared after the second fumble recovery. Ryan Grant is a beast & Brett Favre consistently amazes me. I eat my words.

I also may have underestimated Garrard's ability to make up for what has been merely an average run game so far in this AFC game. He has looked sharp. But we all know the Patriots are great at halftime adjustments. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to start blitzing in the second half. This has turned out to be a really good game.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    FUCKIN NORTHCUTT !!! Frickin' FUCK !! FUCK !!!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Green Bay vs New England Super Bowl would be the biggest sporting event evar.

Evar.

Evar.

EVAR !

• Seattle @ Green Bay- I like both of these teams receiving corps & both of their defenses. I think the Seahawks front seven limits Ryan Grant and pressures Brett Favre. The Green Bay

No shit, the Seahawks D disappeared after the second fumble recovery. Ryan Grant is a beast & Brett Favre consistently amazes me. I eat my words.

They were pretty bad all season on the road but today was ridiculous. I think the snow definitely crippled the speed of our D and the Packers just blew us off the ball. I'm ready for Walrus Face to be gone. Its time for the Mora Jr era to begin.