Rap album you've listened to the most

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm very very surprised to see that Pete Rock hasn't been listened to so much.

Many individual PR production have held up but I almost never have the desire to listen to "Mecca" or "Main Ingredient" over again in their entirety. I'd rather cherry pick my fave songs but the stuff I don't like has me reaching for the FF button too often for me to want to just flip on "Mecca" from end to end.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Many individual PR production have held up but I almost never have the desire to listen to "Mecca" or "Main Ingredient" over again in their entirety. I'd rather cherry pick my fave songs but the stuff I don't like has me reaching for the FF button too often for me to want to just flip on "Mecca" from end to end.

Mecca from beginning to end has ALWAYS been the ONLY way to listen to it.

And Straighten It Out has ALWAYS been just as good a single as TROY.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

CL downright ruins some of the songs on that album.

BAN

No and no.

Most definitely, no.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I can agree with the first part, the second I'd have to think about. The thing that impressed me about Mecca as a kid was that it was a long ass album, like almost 90 minutes. I remember saying "an hour & a half of music for 9.99!".

That every minute was amazing made it even better.

And, while I never understood a word of what he was saying, I always liked CL Smooth.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I remember people funnin' on Guru saying that he wouldn't have made it without Primo, but does anyone think that CL could have been big without Pete Rock? Guru vs. CL. Who comes out on top?

I can agree with the first part, the second I'd have to think about. The thing that impressed me about Mecca as a kid was that it was a long ass album, like almost 90 minutes. I remember saying "an hour & a half of music for 9.99!".

And, while I never understood a word of what he was saying, I always liked CL Smooth.

I think a lot of people must have got lost in all of those great tracks. One that I used to play on my radio show quite a bit circa '92 was "It's Like That". The tendency to over time increasingly act like "TROY" was/is the primary thing to check for on the album doesn't sit well with me at all. Some folks even go as far as to point to CL as some sort of lackluster mc...usually these same folks don't cite Guru for a similar offense and also try to convince people that the rapping on the Group Home album isn't all that bad.

I remember people funnin' on Guru saying that he wouldn't have made it without Primo, but does anyone think that CL could have been big without Pete Rock? Guru vs. CL. Who comes out on top?

Funny how we both independently came up with the same comparison. I like Guru just fine, but I'd take CL over him in a heartbeat.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I think a lot of people must have got lost in all of those great tracks. One that I used to play on my radio show quite a bit circa '92 was "It's Like That". The tendency to over time increasingly act like "TROY" was/is the primary thing to check for on the album doesn't sit well with me at all. Some folks even go as far as to point to CL as some sort of lackluster mc...usually these same folks don't cite Guru for a similar offense and also try to convince people that the rapping on the Group Home album isn't all that bad.

Ghettos of the mind was a dope track. So was Act Like you know & On and On. I don't think there was a song on that album that wouldn't have made a good single. TROY emerged from the pack, but I can't schitt on a single track, even Lots of Lovin.

• From beginning to end, this album lived up to the hype. I just remember the anticipation of a full length album from PR & CL after All Souled Out created such a buzz with Creator and all. I waited months and months for Mecca to drop. It's one of those questions like, "All Souled Out was dope and can they f/u with more dope shit?" I think they did with Mecca. It's just classic Pete Rock & CL Smooth.

Oh, and what about Skinz? I think it's such a classic seeing Puba in such rare form back in those days.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lots of lovin is a great track
    as is the remix that uses that whirlitzer sample also used on akinyele's "i luh her"

Oh, and what about Skinz?

Yep, another great track.

as is the remix that uses that whirlitzer sample also used on akinyele's "i luh her"

And soon to be heard on Kanye and Common's duet off the new Common album.

Guru without Primo would never have become big. I think CL could have ended up with some other producing partner and done "ok" but certainly, not as big without PR. Head to head though? CL all the way.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    I bumped the hell out of these in high school:

Organized Konfusion - Stress
    Souls Of Mischief - 93 til' Infinity
    Outkast - Southernplayalistic
    Nas - Illmatic
    De La - Buhloone Mindstate
    Tribe - Midnight Marauders
    The Roots - Do You Want More?!!!??!
    Pharcyde - Bizzarre Ride II

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I dunno, I loved "Mecca" from the day it came out, but as a whole record it gets kind of draggy towards the end for me nowadays. I only enjoy the second half of the record all the way thru if I start with the 2nd LP/Side B of the cassette. And "Lots Of Lovin" will get the FF from me everytime, without fail. Still a classic LP though.

If I had to pick a #1 most listened to record it would probably be "3 Feet High", and yes, I was 19 when it came out so that theory holds up.

It's not bad dude.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Funny how we both independently came up with the same comparison. I like Guru just fine, but I'd take CL over him in a heartbeat.

I'd take CL too, but I couldn't quote a single line from him. That's not a diss to Guru, though. I still think he was a pretty good mc.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

I'd take CL too, but I couldn't quote a single line from him. That's not a diss to Guru, though. I still think he was a pretty good mc.

Same here. The only problem is that the first line that comes to mind for Guru is something stupid like "lemonade was a popular drink and stil is"...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I can easily listen to all these albums in their entirety, except the PE LP and maybe I'd skip 1 or 2 tracks of the BN LP.

Is there an instrumental version of THREE FEET HIGH AND RISING???
    I would love to find this!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Does an EP count?

seriously....if you could wear out a CD, I wore that out.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Nas - Illmatic

I notice the lack of "gangster Rap" in a lot of these list. Did you guy just go out of you way to ignore the biggest names of the 90's?? I haven't 2Pac's "All Eyez on me" or "The world against me" on much of any one's list here and that suprises me.

True, but u have to factor in listeners age and region.

But yeah no TuPac is kinda surprising then again there are other factors at hand....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    But yeah no TuPac is kinda surprising then again there are other factors at hand....

Like the "Tupac is overrated" factor?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Nas - Illmatic

I notice the lack of "gangster Rap" in a lot of these list. Did you guy just go out of you way to ignore the biggest names of the 90's?? I haven't 2Pac's "All Eyez on me" or "The world against me" on much of any one's list here and that suprises me.

True, but u have to factor in listeners age and region.

But wasn't he primarily an actor i didn't know he dabbled in music.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Dude, it's SoulStrut--this should not be at all surprising.

File under places where 2Pac is OVERHATED.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    The Gangsta rap albums that i listened to the most were Geto Boys- 'Til Death Do Us Part, and the first DJ Quik.

The NWA catalog also got heavy spins.