Rap album you've listened to the most

Comments

• And finally, the rap album I've listened to most is probably either Illmatic, A Future Without A Past, or any number of Jay-Z albums.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think a lot of people forget that there was a war going on, and that's why a lot of NY folk didn't listen to pac or west coast music in general in the early 90s. I certainly didn't.

As much a love Penicillin On Wax and how It jump started shit,I didnt really buy into the "WAR" thing.
    I was crazy into West/Souf/MidWest Hip Hop and didnt let the media manipulate my tastes.

• I think a lot of people forget that there was a war going on, and that's why a lot of NY folk didn't listen to pac or west coast music in general in the early 90s. I certainly didn't.

As much a love Penicillin On Wax and how It jump started shit,I didnt really buy into the "WAR" thing.
    I was crazy into West/Souf/MidWest Hip Hop and didnt let the media manipulate my tastes.

I use "war" in the loosest most irresponsible way...and of course I played The Chronic to death, souls, del, and casual, (how foolish was I, thinking back to that) but otherwise, I was incredibly east coast centric...as were a lot of other new yorkers

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think a lot of people forget that there was a war going on, and that's why a lot of NY folk didn't listen to pac or west coast music in general in the early 90s. I certainly didn't.

I use "war" in the loosest most irresponsible way...and of course I played The Chronic to death, souls, del, and casual, (how foolish was I, thinking back to that) but otherwise, I was incredibly east coast centric...as were a lot of other new yorkers

...as was at least one Atlanta high school student, who fancied himself an honorary New Yorker on the basis of his parents being from the Bronx.

...as was at least one Atlanta high school student, who fancied himself an honorary New Yorker on the basis of his parents being from the Bronx.

Wasnt Atlanta at one time considered "East Coast"?

Biv Entertainment was based in Atlanta and called his clique the His East Coast Family.

Just Wondering? And if so when did y'all "ceceed'?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Biv Entertainment was based in Atlanta and called his clique the His East Coast Family.

I believe Atlanta is called "New York South" in some circles even to this day!

"Third Coast"

In seriousness, though, I know that my tastes as a die-hard East Coast head put me in the distinct minority growing up.

So your Atlanta peers mostly listened to Local Black Exp Rapp or West Coast Rapp?

In seriousness, though, I know that my tastes as a die-hard East Coast head allowed me to appreciate classix like this:

In seriousness, though, I know that my tastes as a die-hard East Coast head allowed me to appreciate classix like this:

What's the story on this? Y'all been rockin this as an inside gag since ive been hurr.

I just rediscovered that!

Can I let you in on a little secret?

It's a movement by itself, but a force when they're together:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ...so was a dude from Fayetteville, North Carolina. Old school, east coast, b-boy style!!!

I'm sure the debate about 'Pac's legacy is based primarily on region. Given my "east coast aesthetic," I never really felt dude, just liked songs here and there, for what it's worth. Then again, I never felt a lot of artists people like (e.g., Naughty [corny music], Stetsa [corny, mediocre MCs], Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince [I thought Prince was corny], Jay-Z, Heav D [corny], Quik [weak on the mic], etc.), so to each his own.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Since you're in the know, can I ask you a question?

Who was the bleach-headed "CRAZY RAPPER" of the crew?

So your Atlanta peers mostly listened to Local Black Exp Rapp or West Coast Rapp?

The most popular locally-recorded music was bass.

West Coast was big. Southern rap from elsewhere was getting big--it took a little longer for Atlanta to bring its own flavor. BONE hit hard.

Honestly, I wish that I'd paid more attention to some of the things that were going on at the time. Looking back, I'd chosen to isolate myself within that relatively small group of people that went to see NY rappers when they came to perform, listened to college radio rap shows religiously, etc.

I couldn't tell you.

Damn, what happened to that trend--having a CRAZY RAPPER in the crew?

The most popular locally-recorded music was bass.

West Coast was big. Southern rap from elsewhere was getting big--it took a little longer for Atlanta to bring its own flavor. BONE hit hard.

Honestly, I wish that I'd paid more attention to some of the things that were going on at the time. Looking back, I'd chosen to isolate myself within that relatively small group of people that went to see NY rappers when they came to perform, listened to college radio rap shows religiously, etc.

Did the Mom n Pop stores stack radio/mtv stuff as well as local Bass stuff?

What's the story on this? Y'all been rockin this as an inside gag since ive been hurr.

It's just some corny local schitt from the early nineties. Some of those guys went on to be in Mass Influence (pron. "Mass In-flu-ENCE"). It's pretty weak, but sufficiently obscure that some kid will periodically buy a copy and think he's unearthed some sort of missing link holy grail, and rush home to post on SoulStrut about it. Honestly, I didn't even realize until last year that it had national distribution.

I couldn't tell you.

Damn, what happened to that trend--having a CRAZY RAPPER in the crew?

NOTE: ALSO FROM ATLANTA.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Honestly, I didn't even realize until last year that it had national distribution.

I think it got reissued last year, and was carried at Labcabin. I'm sure more than a couple of folks have since claimed to have been all about it originally, but hadn't thought about it for years...

I just rediscovered that!

Can I let you in on a little secret?

It's a movement by itself, but a force when they're together:

This Atlanta-based foursome is fronted by acclaimed producer Dallas Austin. The members were roommates in a domicile located on Highland Place and they assumed the name. This is a threefold concept album: I Revolutionary, II Street, III Music. The Revolutionary aspect consists of songs expressing racial issues and sex. The Street aspect comes hard with the hip hop edge, and the Music fold settles into attractive R&B grooves, which feature some melodious numbers.[/b] Two singles hit the Billboard R&B charts. "Let's Get Naked," whose title is self-explanatory, has a jittery, percussive beat. It peaked at 55 after only eight weeks. "Take a Dip" has a catchy chorus with a persuasive rhythm that seduces the listener. Although it was worthy of a better ranking, it fizzled at 77 after only six weeks on the charts. It is apparent that this outfil was not assembled for longevity, but more so for temporary artistic release. Some of the music is extreme while some of it is solid. The most notable tracks are "Try My Love," "If U Stay" and "Catalogs of Lost Love (Volume I)" are hidden gems in this eclectic collection of songs. Note: Austin's close friend and collaborator Randy Ran, who worked on this album, was killed while riding his motorcycle shortly after the release of this album.

• The rap album have listened the most is definitely one of the following :
    Black Sheep 1st , Pharcyde 1st, Organized Konfusion 2nd, Freestyle Fellowship "innercity griots", Del "No need for alarm", Casual "Fear itself", Souls of Mischief 1st, Gangstarr "step in arena"... and of course the older ones like GrandMaster Flash's, Biz Markie's, Cash money & Marvellous...
    For me, these lps were the best at the time, and are still among the best ever made in this genre, i have never been bored by these.

The rap album have listened the most is definitely one of the following :
    Black Sheep 1st , Pharcyde 1st, Organized Konfusion 2nd, Freestyle Fellowship "innercity griots", Del "No need for alarm", Casual "Fear itself", Souls of Mischief 1st, Gangstarr "step in arena"... and of course the older ones like GrandMaster Flash's, Biz Markie's, Cash money & Marvellous...
    For me, these lps were the best at the time, and are still among the best ever made in this genre, i have never been bored by these.

Which album is it? Casual got the same spins as Gangstarr?

• Main Source Breaking Atoms

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what a bump

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Still by a long shot...

• minimini 879 Posts
    One of these I think:
    De la soul: 3 feet high and rising
    Jungle Brothers: Done by the foces of nature
    A tribe called quest: Midnight marauders
    Digable planets: Blowout comb

• First 3 TRIBE album's
    Jungle Brothers-Straight Out The Jungle
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth-Main Ingredient
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth-Mecca & The Soul Brother
    Public Enemy-It Takes A Nation..
    Diamond D-Stunts Blunts Hip-Hop

• chimachima 33 Posts

Public Enemy-It Takes A Nation Of Millions TO Hold Us Back
    Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
    Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2
    Pete Rock & C.L Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother
    Nas - Illmatic

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Low End Theory is the one I've listened to the most with Kaya being a close second.