Rap album you've listened to the most

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

I was wondering if anyone would mention Quasimoto, Im almost inclined to consder it somewhat of a mixtape rather than an rap album, but definitely one of my favs.

I also wore out a booted tape of Boxcar Sessions and a few Roots and Redman tapes as well.

i'll ride for the Unseen all day. listening to it on the solid state portable right motherfuckin now. it gets you clean like a public washing machine. dont know why youd consider it a mixtape??!?! its a concept album extraordinaire

i love saafir but i dont bang with boxcar sessions

thats cool, I listened to the unseen at work yesterday in full for the first time in a few months myself.

it is a great concept album. I guess I think of it as a mixtape because I think of it as being basically continuous. Its comprised of a lot of samples, skits and verbage or the way it flows and what have you.

with saafir it was more about the beats over the rhymes.

• Does anyone else here think that, with the exception of maybe two or three (admittedly great) songs , Illmatic is not that good ? Lotta straight up terrible, FF / skip songs on the album.

• Does anyone else here think that, with the exception of maybe two or three (admittedly great) songs , Illmatic is not that good? Lotta straight up terrible, FF / skip songs on the album.

never that! classic! rollin two phillies together in the bridge we called em oo-wops

a lot of heads slept on the Nas - One Love EP back in 94, couple nice remixes.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

a lot of heads slept on the Nas - One Love EP back in 94, couple nice remixes.

i gotta say that i wasn't a fan of those remixes, there was the dimension ball remix by the nujabes that was by far better. i think the 12 was a japan only release however.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Does anyone else here think that, with the exception of maybe two or three (admittedly great) songs , Illmatic is not that good ? Lotta straight up terrible, FF / skip songs on the album.

Huh? I can't think of a bad song on Illmatic.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Probably this one:

Other possibilities:

Illmatic
    Midnight Marauders
    Resurrection
    36 Chambers
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Infamous
    Hard to Earn

All records that I played incessantly as a teenager, in a way that I don't play any record anymore.

I'm confused.

You're constantly giving dudes shit for firmly grasping That Real Schitt??? yet the only shit that you admit to playing the shit out of just so happens to be That Real Schitt??? - the very same shit you constantly shit on - yet for some reason or another the post-Harlem World shit that you claim to be THEE hottest shit obviously ain't really shit to you since apparently no shit that came out after '95/'96 was worth a shit?

Wow. Ain't THAT some shit?

Dude, hello? You seem to have missed what the thread was about.

These are the leaders in total lifetime spins, not my current rotation.

There's no way any record released after the mid-nineties is going to compete with the above; I was simply buying too many albums by that point to play any one record incessantly for months the way that I did when I was younger.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm not incredulous at the idea of somebody saying "You know, here's an underappreciated gem--I really like this album".

I am incredulous when somebody tells me that they've listened to Rough House Surivivors more than any other rap album ever.

Yeah, I don't know what that is. But cmon, late period De La and CoFlow? They may not be your faves but I know you know cats were diggin on that shit, regardless of how much you're amazed by that fact.

That's a slightly different issue. I'm not incredulous at the idea of Funcrusher being somebody's most listened-to rap album--I know that there are plenty of such people out there--but I do wonder what is wrong with those people.

It's a cool album for what it is--but it's not something to center your personal rap universe around.

Faux = disconnected from the late '90s?

I'm saying mang. I know people who center their personal rap universe around Sage Francis and dudes like that. "Funcrusher Plus" feels positively populist in comparison.

Again, dude, I already acknowledged that I'm aware of this phenomenon--I just think it's totally messed up and bespeaks an essential hostility to rap music.

• autoauto 198 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm not mad at anyone, just poking a bit of fun.

Exactly.

Does anyone else here think that, with the exception of maybe two or three (admittedly great) songs , Illmatic is not that good ? Lotta straight up terrible, FF / skip songs on the album.

No.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im seein a lot of people got like 27 different albums on their most listened to list... whats the deal?
    pick one you bums. thats the whole point of this

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    they pick the same 27 albums that folks voted for in that 'best rap albums of all time' blog poll awhile back too. zzzzz

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Does anyone else here think that, with the exception of maybe two or three (admittedly great) songs , Illmatic is not that good? Lotta straight up terrible, FF / skip songs on the album.

No.

Agreed, not a bunk track on that album.
    Somehow that one wasn't included in my huge list
    and it's one I actually still listen to on the regular.
    It's brilliant, no question.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    this definitely isnt THE ONE, but in recent history, yeah...since it was the only cd i had at work for months, and i work every day:

No.

i dont know, i think i might agree with this dude. but that might also be because of how hyped up its been. maybe i had to be there when it was new or something but id just lump illmatic in with plenty of other good 90s shit.

No.

i dont know, i think i might agree with this dude. but that might also be because of how hyped up its been. maybe i had to be there when it was new or something but id just lump illmatic in with plenty of other good 90s shit.

I'm not saying this to be patronizing but I'm inclined to write this up due to age. Did you listen to "Illmatic" when it first dropped or was it something you listened to after, on some, "I suppose I should listen to this because of all the hype it got back in the day?"

If it's the latter then I could better understand the idea that the album is "overhyped." For most - I won't claim all - people who caught "Illmatic" live and direct, I think its impact has been far more profound.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    maybe i had to be there
    OR MAYBE YOU DONT LIKE RAP

maybe i had to be there
    OR MAYBE YOU DONT LIKE RAP

Ako = "Funcrusher Plus" fan?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

No.

I'm not saying this to be patronizing but I'm inclined to write this up due to age. Did you listen to "Illmatic" when it first dropped or was it something you listened to after, on some, "I suppose I should listen to this because of all the hype it got back in the day?"

If it's the latter then I could better understand the idea that the album is "overhyped." For most - I won't claim all - people who caught "Illmatic" live and direct, I think its impact has been far more profound.

Ive said this before here at soulstrut.

When Illmatic Finally came out as a full album, 1 track was old, the lead off single was played to death, and radio/mixtape played 2 or three more of the songs. The Album only had like 10 songs.

1. The Genesis - Not really a song
    2. N.Y. State Of Mind - PTDBR
    3. Life's A Bitch
    4. The World Is Yours - Played to death before release
    5. Halftime - OLD
    6. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park) - PTDBR
    7. One Love
    8. One Time 4 Your Mind
    9. Represent
    10. It Ain't Hard To Tell - Played to death before release

So when it dropped I only really got 4 NEW songs - I cant go Ga-Ga over that.
    All my peers were suckin on this,but heard everything I did. So when they would say Illmatic was great,
    I'd was not really seein that due to the way it was presented.
    Shit, so what if u leak/hitoff dj w/ joints before the debut? U better have 10 new joints that overshadow the street joints, IMO. So when i hear dudes foam at the mouf about Illmatic - I'm on the fence.

No Doubt -Nas upped the game. It helped NYC Hip Hop rekindle some its Magic and I cant front on its cultural impact. If your a cat who didnt have the debut spoiled like me , and U pickup Illmatic from the
    wrecka sto in those times....That shit would be bananas.
    But as far as the album being "Not That Good" in terms of Art.....GTFOHWTB
    There one or two that I skip, but u can basically play the whole album out except the Intro & One Time 4 Your Mind.

Batmon,

Naw - I feel you about the length/short # of new songs point BUT personally, I never was all that mad at that at the time...and certainly less so now.

But I never gave "Illmatic" as much spin BITD as I have now that I'm older. I was probably listening to "Stunts, Blunts" or "3 Ft. High and Rising" or "Low End Theory" much heavier within the era they came out.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Chronic
    N----zforlife
    AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted/Fear of a Black Planet
    Southernplayalistic
    36 Chambers
    The first Scarface
    Death Certificate
    Low End Theory

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Ive said this before here at soulstrut.

When Illmatic Finally came out as a full album, 1 track was old, the lead off single was played to death, and radio/mixtape played 2 or three more of the songs. The Album only had like 10 songs.

1. The Genesis - Not really a song
    2. N.Y. State Of Mind - PTDBR
    3. Life's A Bitch
    4. The World Is Yours - Played to death before release
    5. Halftime - OLD
    6. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park) - PTDBR
    7. One Love
    8. One Time 4 Your Mind
    9. Represent
    10. It Ain't Hard To Tell - Played to death before release

So when it dropped I only really got 4 NEW songs - I cant go Ga-Ga over that.
    All my peers were suckin on this,but heard everything I did. So when they would say Illmatic was great,
    I'd was not really seein that due to the way it was presented.
    Shit, so what if u leak/hitoff dj w/ joints before the debut? U better have 10 new joints that overshadow the street joints, IMO. So when i hear dudes foam at the mouf about Illmatic - I'm on the fence.

I have probably said this before here on SS too- I definitely said it on my site and caught a GANG of flack for it- but I agree with everything Batmon said here almost 100%. Personally, I thought Illmatic was a real good album, maybe even a great album, but not in my top 20 all time. And that was basically for the reasons that Batmon states above- I'd already rocked 5 or 6 of the songs to death before the album came out, and there were only a couple of other joints on it when I picked up the official version. I was pretty disappointed to tell you the truth! Maybe if I'd have heard the whole album for the 1st time when I bought it I might've felt different, I dunno.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    and btw, i don't really know which album i've listened to the most- i think Critical Beatdown, Amerikkka's Most Wanted, Cuban Links, Mecca & The Soul Brother & the Live Convention 81-82 albums would be real strong contenders. But if I had to pick just one I think this would have to be it-

It Takes a Million

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

MAJOR CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never get tired of the album. By far one of the best rap records EVAR!

MAJOR CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never get tired of the album. By far one of the best rap records EVAR!

i remember the day i first bought this album and being pretty blown away. probably the first time id ever really listened to any hip-hop other than the beastie boys (this was a long time ago), and it was pretty exciting.

i need to get this on vinyl, i have no idea where my cd copy went..

I guess I'd be in the category of new to Nas when I first heard Illmatic.
    (Other than Live From the BBQ of course), and it blew me away.
    It's interesting how context can sometimes taint your
    feelings about a record, so I can hear what Batmon and Philly Phill
    are saying.

On a unrelated note how bout those Phillies Phil?!
    10,000 losses!
    Shit is epic!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Most of my most listened to are from the early nineties walkman days when you'd have one album per side of the tape and play it out for weeks on end. Taking from these those albums I've continued to play up to today it would probably be between A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, Illmatic, De La Soul Is Dead, Chronic, Doggystyle and It Takes a Nation Of Millions. So very very predictable.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I'm very very surprised to see that Pete Rock hasn't been listened to so much.

I'm very very surprised to see that Pete Rock hasn't been listened to so much.

The Main Ingredient is right up there for me, top 5 easily.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's probably Low End Theory for me, followed very closely by 36 chambers. Stunts, Blunts & Hiphop is up there too. All three I'll gladly listen to all the way through nowadays too, and I'm not bored with them in the least, unlike a lot of other albums I used to listen to repetitively.

Cosigning Tripledoubles love for The Unseen - That's also an album that I'll listen to all the way through on the regular, because of the concept feel of it.