Amy Winehose- graetest white chick EVER???

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I gotta say Bam is totally wrong on this point. Amy is a working class girl (sister girl sounds like a dock worker) digging on some soul in the classic tradition of the genre. I think her songwriting is top notch, an interesting twist on female sexual identity so rarely explored in todays pop world. It's not her fault that she struck Nirvana like gold by mixing quality and talent with great production so that even Rolling Stone, Starbucks and teeny boppers are feeling this release. Stop the hate, congratulate a "real" soul artist for once.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jewish
    AKA
    semitic

anyways back to ranking talent by ethnic background

continue...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    what is marina rock? is that like lite rock or am gold? if so then YES ... i am an afficiavado as well as a connisseure you mean to tell me there are people here who DON'T hail this type of music??? naw, i'm not buyin' that... yall dudes done posted your mugs and you all look like marina rockists to me. i cant be fooled

Isn't Phill's main twist Marina Rock? I'm not sure how much of a tastemaker he is around here.

i am a legendary digga AND a tastemaker around here

• rsmeetsrsmeets 35 Posts
    did anyone catch her on mtv last week (or maybe 2 weeks) ago? she kept forgetting her words- but it was nice to see the dap kings kickin' it plus a few people from her band overseas... girl can sing though (when she remembers the words)... anyone else catch this?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    sayin'

my yacht/marina playlist (i'm a little liberal w/ the term):

Playlist files:

1. Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love (4:04)
    2. Paul Davis - I Go Crazy (3:42)
    3. Air Supply - Lost In Love (3:54)
    4. Climax Blues Band - I Love You (4:03)
    5. Styx - Babe (4:24)
    6. Leo Sayer - when i need you (4:07)
    7. Robbie Dupree - Steal Away (3:28)
    8. Air Supply - Every Woman In The World (3:23)
    9. Kenny Loggins - This Is It (3:58)
    10. Peter Brown - Dance With Me (3:02)
    11. Christopher Cross - Sailing (4:14)
    12. Dan Fogelberg - Longer Than (3:13)
    13. Dan Hill - Sometimes When We Touch (4:01)
    14. Kansas - Dust In The Wind (3:20)
    15. david gates - goodbye girl (2:49)
    16. Paul Simon - Slip Slidin' Away (4:43)
    17. johnny rivers - swayin to the music (slow dancin) (4:02)
    18. Air Supply - All Out Of Love (4:00)
    19. little river band - reminiscing (4:12)
    20. Eddie Money - Baby Hold On (3:31)
    21. england dan & john ford coley - love is the answer (4:35)
    22. Benny Mardones - Into The Night (4:33)
    23. Gino Vannelli - I Just Wanna Stop (3:38)
    24. Ambrosia - How Much I Feel (4:41)
    25. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - weve got tonight (4:38)
    26. Sara Smile - Daryl Hall & John Oates (3:05)
    27. Get Closer - Seals & Crofts (3:48)
    28. I'd Really Love To See You Ton - England Dan & John Ford Coley (2:37)
    29. time in a bottle - jim croce (2:28)
    30. (youre) having my baby - paul anka (3:38)
    31. Sister Golden Hair - America (3:19)
    32. I'm Not In Love - 10cc (6:06)
    33. Fallin' In Love - Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynold (3:03)
    34. How Long - Ace (3:23)
    35. Dance With Me - Orleans (2:59)
    36. hello its me - todd rundgren (3:47)
    37. ill have to say i love you in - jim croce (2:33)
    38. Wham And George Michael - Careless Whisper (5:00)
    39. Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is (5:03)
    40. Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away (4:20)
    41. Honeydrippers - Sea Of Love (3:03)
    42. Tina Turner - We Dont Need Another Hero (4:15)
    43. Jack Wagner - All I Need (3:24)
    44. Survivor - The Search Is Over (4:14)
    45. Julian Lennon - Too Late For Goodbyes (3:32)
    46. Bruce Springsteen - Im On Fire (2:25)
    47. Heart - What About Love (3:41)
    48. Mike And The Mechanics - Silent Running (4:08)
    49. Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight (3:30)
    50. Outfield - Your Love (3:39)
    51. Paul Mccartney And Michael Jackson - Say Say Say (3:54)
    52. Phil Collins - Against All Odds (3:27)
    53. Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie (3:50)
    54. Mike Reno And Ann Wilson - Almost Paradise (3:50)
    55. Christopher Cross - All Right (4:17)
    56. Joe Jackson - Steppin Out (4:18)
    57. Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In Two (4:51)
    58. Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky (3:59)
    59. Journey - Open Arms (3:20)
    60. Dan Fogelberg - Leader Of The Band (4:16)
    61. Air Supply - Even The Nights Are Better (3:58)
    62. Stevie Nicks And Don Henley - Leather And Lace (3:49)
    63. Paul Davis - Cool Night (3:40)
    64. Crosby Stills And Nash - Wasted On The Way (2:46)

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Not quite my friend...She does have defening hype. Her album has steller production and her voice is bliss...However 2 albums doen't warent such tall claims...Time will tell...

On a side note I think chubby Amy had way more sex appeal.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Jewish
    AKA
    semitic

continue...

sayin, I was gonna ask for Guzoo/Rootless weigh in on that one. I guess if she sucked you could have her back. Like Babs.

Personally not my cup of tea. I only like one Carly Simon song but I think she's hotter. Boing.

Hang on, Wikipedia says she's Jewish AND black. Let's face it, we got nothing

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Pauline Oliveros

Jewish
    AKA
    semitic

continue...

all yall white to me

On a side note I think chubby Amy had way more sex appeal.

yeah, really she kinda fugly... i think her unabashed drug abusing ways just make her sexy in some way. dont take much fo a white woman to be attractive to us brothas anyway

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Elise!

• The realness...

The sadness....

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I gotta say Bam is totally wrong on this point. Amy is a working class girl (sister girl sounds like a dock worker) digging on some soul in the classic tradition of the genre. I think her songwriting is top notch, an interesting twist on female sexual identity so rarely explored in todays pop world. It's not her fault that she struck Nirvana like gold by mixing quality and talent with great production so that even Rolling Stone, Starbucks and teeny boppers are feeling this release. Stop the hate, congratulate a "real" soul artist for once.

Lucky for you, I'm still finishing up a term paper, otherwise I'd have to crack my knuckles and drag this post through the mud a bit.

Amy Winehouse is an above average artist, but just barely. Her song writing ability while respectable, isn't amazing, her voice is good, but not great, and as a live performer she's inconsistent. That she's a drunk and a malcontent may be her two most memorable qualities.

I will say that unlike most other contemporary soul artists I've heard, her production is actually pretty on point. Of course, "pretty on point" just means I can stomach it, the beats don't stand on their own, and I'm certainly not holding my breath for the instrumentalz.

Final verdict: Most definitely NOT that REAL SCHITT

That she's a drunk and a malcontent may be her two most memorable qualities.

are there any qualities more important for a great artist than those? really.... think about that for a minute

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

are there any qualities more important for a great artist than those? really.... think about that for a minute

I dunno...I kinda prefer stoner fuckwits to drunken malcontents.

I dunno...I kinda prefer stoner fuckwits to drunken malcontents.

i'm just sayin'... make a list of great performers who are malcontented substance abusers and what do you have? the rock and roll hall of fame in cleveland. i rest my case.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Lucky for you, I'm still finishing up a term paper, otherwise I'd have to crack my knuckles and drag this post through the mud a bit.

Amy Winehouse is an above average artist, but just barely. Her song writing ability while respectable, isn't amazing, her voice is good, but not great, and as a live performer she's inconsistent. That she's a drunk and a malcontent may be her two most memorable qualities.

I will say that unlike most other contemporary soul artists I've heard, her production is actually pretty on point. Of course, "pretty on point" just means I can stomach it, the beats don't stand on their own, and I'm certainly not holding my breath for the instrumentalz.

Wrong, the songwriting is way above average for the genre and the production is totally happening. Do not make me come over there and smash your word processor with a copy of "back to black".

• I love Amy's album, but there are a grip of white ladies that are better and certainly have longevity...

um, Madonna
    Chrissy Hynde
    Stevie Nicks, definitely
    Cher
    Bjork

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I love Amy's album, but there are a grip of white ladies that are better and certainly have longevity...

um, Madonna
    Chrissy Hynde
    Stevie Nicks, definitely
    Cher
    Bjork

Not to mention JOAN JETT

(hey, since every other white female pop music artist has been mentioned, what the fuck, right?)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Wrong, the songwriting is way above average for the genre and the production is totally happening. Do not make me come over there and smash your word processor with a copy of "back to black".

Weren't you the one dissing the Bob & Gene release a couple months ago?

Sounds like you've got this whole soul thing backwards, homey.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

I am fine with you thinking I am "totally wrong." It's good for people to have their own opinions. But it seems like you've misunderstood my post, or worse, used points to prove me wrong that only confirm my belief.

What her songs sound like is of minor consequence to my opinion of her. I've brought this up before on this board, and been the subject of a hundred quoted posts with a 'disconnected' graemlin aimed at me, but I'll say it again. I think considering music for only the sound it makes is a sad way to listen.

Amy might have made a record that sounds cool, but in all her pageantry and obfuscation she's gone slim on content and substance. Saddling herself with douchebags doesn't help. Citing "Starbucks" as proof of her "real" soul status only makes my point for me. A "twist on female sexual identity," that's rich. Try a twist like Lullabelle.

I don't think she struck gold, or anything else besides a deal with a corporation that has money to plaster her face and voice everywhere. Popularity by promotion doesn't equate true artistry. It's not even interesting, as it's story is so old with it's side effects documented in reams everywhere.

Strip away the shtick and the money and the glossy pictures and the authenticity of Amy is empty.

If you want to listen to it don't let me stop you. But in 5 years (or 4 months) when everyone figures out she sucks (just like the long list of shit that's come before her), you can return to this thread for a list of records that are full of engaging perversion and unsettling substance and very little bullshit.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

But how much of this can we give her credit for? While she's credited for writing the tunes, Gabe Roth's arrangements (and band) and Mark Ronson's productions really brought the songs to life (I know they only did half the album but that's the half that I listen to). I don't mean to knock her work, but were it not for those guys the album, in my opinion, would be

• and oh yea, the singer from Air, whose name escapes me right now.
    Googie Coppolla.

You know, my problem with Winehouse is that her singing sounds like she's doing an impression of a soul singer. I love how her British accent mysteriously transforms into a Southern accent when the mic is on. And as far as cuteness - she is NOT cute.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

and oh yea, the singer from Air, whose name escapes me right now.
    Googie Coppolla.

You know, my problem with Winehouse is that her singing sounds like she's doing an impression of a soul singer. I love how British accents mysetiously transform into Southern accents when the mic is on.

I was in Round Again Records last week and they had a Big Mama Thornton record on and as much as I was loving it, there was something that was bugging me. It occurred to me that when Big Mama hit on certain notes, it is exactly what Winehouse is doing. Not crying rip-off or anything, but cripes people - just pick up a Big Mama Thornton record if you think Winehouse has such a damn good voice.

• "fugly".."she's not cute"(???) ...I know some of yall prefer "Beckys"..but c'mon..she aint bad looking at all.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What her songs sound like is of minor consequence to my opinion of her. I've brought this up before on this board, and been the subject of a hundred quoted posts with a 'disconnected' graemlin aimed at me, but I'll say it again. I think considering music for only the sound it makes is a sad way to listen. [/b]

you're right. liking music for how it sounds is pretty much boring. I like my music to have explosions and car chases in it. Otherwise its crap.

does this mean deaf people have a hand up in enjoying music cause they can afford to be Bam style purists and aren't stuck in the same "sad" trap the rest of us are forced to deal with

oh yeah and let me add

• ...I know some of yall prefer "Beckys"
    Yeah, that must be it... (how do we not have a "roll eyes" gramelin?)

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'd just like to say I enjoy Amy Winehouse's music in much the same way I enjoy any white artist that has respectfully appropriated black music(s) and done it some justice in its performance (i.e. Justin Timbrlake, Robin Thicke, Paul Wall, etc). I believe this conversation would be much much different if Ms. Winehouse was significantly less popular. Her popularity is disconcerting and hints at the existence of (SHOCK!!!!) underlying racist tendencies amongst a huge percentage of Americans, but, lucky for me, this has had no significant effect on my enjoyment of her music.

I eagerly awate a biting response to this post from Dan**l or Deej.

-e