TOP CHEF 3

Comments

• i was thinking more interactive virtual reality helmet throwdown with bobby flay
    a good friend of mine(philip speer www.uchiaustin.com) just judged an episode of throwdown. he challenged this austin crepes place, i forget the name. it should air in about a month i think.

i forgot top chef started last night so i missed it, its one of the best shows on tv.
    was bourdain just a guest judge? that guy rules.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Yeah, guest judge, unfortunately. He would be a great full-time judge on this show!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Not only that, but if you saw the season one vs. season 2 special, he bombed worse than anybody. And he had a fucking mohawk with a city skyline shaved into the side of his head. But yeah he was kind of a little bitch. So was that Marcel dude though.

It's pretty hard to out-bitchify Marcel.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

they're like little dog birds! i want one as a pet

Two summers ago I was studying cockfighting and one of the guys in my study had been given two silken roosters (which if memomry serves me right originated in Japan) by his eldest daughter. Compared to the other roosters on his farm they were the most docile, quiet, and low maintenence. They actually do make good pets!

they were the most docile, quiet, and low maintenence. They actually do make good pets!

And they're deliiiiicous...:)

• sergserg 682 Posts

anthony bourdain was really into it

bourdain is a big fan of abalone so I'm not surprised. They should just man up and replace tom with bourdain, tom sucks as a head judge. shit at least get bourdain in there as some kind of mentor, like that dude on project runway.

I don't know about hung, he's boys with Marcel of season 2 and fuck that little bitch. We'll see but I already get the impression dude is gonna try to hard to be a little asshole aka lame villian. Tre looks like he could take it.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah i don't know about hung either. seems like he could have an abrasive ego

yeah tom collichio sucks as judge. he's kinda gross.

i read on wikipedia that anthony bourdain's desert island record is the stooges' fun house. haha, i wonder if that's true.

anthony bourdain was really into it

bourdain is a big fan of abalone so I'm not surprised. They should just man up and replace tom with bourdain, tom sucks as a head judge. shit at least get bourdain in there as some kind of mentor, like that dude on project runway.

I don't know about hung, he's boys with Marcel of season 2 and fuck that little bitch. We'll see but I already get the impression dude is gonna try to hard to be a little asshole aka lame villian. Tre looks like he could take it.

Cosign on replacing Tom. Seriously, what is he there for? A roaming head judge? Fuck that shit. They need some Tom Gunn-esque figure instead. Bring on Anthony to be the asshole.

Actually, dump Gail. I rarely find any of her insights that interesting. She's no Nina.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Not only that, but if you saw the season one vs. season 2 special, he bombed worse than anybody. And he had a fucking mohawk with a city skyline shaved into the side of his head. But yeah he was kind of a little bitch. So was that Marcel dude though.

I loved watching season 1 beating out the douchebags of season 2, that Marcel guy is the fucking worst. I missed last nights episode but am looking forward to watching this season..

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Have they improved on the kitchen equipment? Last season's cast moaned and whined about the kenmore crap over and over.

I need a rapidsahre dl link for the ep, my isp caps torrents now. SO SLOW!

Canada doesn't get top chef until a few months later. They're still showing #2 right now.

I would like to see Bourdain go at it w/ Steingarten as judges.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    did anyone watch the season opener last night?

what the fuck is 'black chicken'?

jesus i'm scared

I thought you were Chinese! Black Chicken is chicken that has been marinated with tea I think for hours to give it that color. Probably some Chinese herbs as well.

NO NO!

they're not marinated to become black, they are naturally born with black skin, muscle (meat), and organs.

but there are different species of it in CHina where their fur is white but the muscles and organs are black.

and they are very useful for chinese herbal soup etc.

i think the koreans use that for Ginseng Soup with Sticky Rice stuffings...

jesus i'm scared

I thought you were Chinese! Black Chicken is chicken that has been marinated with tea I think for hours to give it that color. Probably some Chinese herbs as well.

NO NO!

they're not marinated to become black, they are naturally born with black skin, muscle (meat), and organs.

but there are different species of it in CHina where their fur is white but the muscles and organs are black.

Uh oh. Motown = from his own Chinese-ness?

(Note: I have no fucking idea how black chicken gets black).

see aser's post, they're not really chickens. they're called silkies and are born that way

i guess this is just a case of things looking scary when dead cause these things are adorable

I love Steingarten as a writer but as a tv personality, dude is an unsufferable boor.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

I love Steingarten as a writer but as a tv personality, dude is an unsufferable boor.

I love Stein on TV; he takes NO shit from the folls on iron chef.

anyway, back to the lecture at hand: i can't believe the shine that Bravo programs get on here. Good for me, as I tend to watche them, but wow...I missed the premiere, but caught the season 2 thing....I wonder if Bravo will air it again?

As for ABourdain's Desert Island record, he's big on Ramones/television/70s era punk, etc. so the stooges doesn't seem that far off. Just finished his newest book, and it was fun, but very fan oriented.

• Yall sound like a bunch of Top Chef newbies.

You have to realize the arc of the Top Chef covenant.

To Wit:

SEASON ONE: Learning to fly. Concept and execution
    are done well outta the gate, but the contestant pool is lacking.
    Hostess is gawdaful.
    Tom seems madd about the whole thing, and can't find
    any kind of rhythm with monosylabic BJoel trophy wife.
    Gail comes off as irrelivant and frumpy.
    The Kenmore equipment looks like some Searsdollarbincommon and
    makes the whole thing seem rather amature.
    Challenges are iffy, goofy, and the final3 episode in Vegas
    looked neither truly culinarily challenging nor viable as a
    true contest of skill.
    Shit was just a race with knives and herbs.

SEASON TWO: Pacing gets tighter.
    Padme(sp) steps on the scene
    and straaaight kills it.
    Girl is foine.
    The scar is sexy, seriously.
    Needs to eat more, tho.
    Tom relaxes. His role is more defined.
    Gail begins a path of redemtion (by being more assertive at the
    judges table) that will take her thru S3 with a made-over
    look and overall more action in her jackson. Dont hate.
    Contestants were cast much better.
    More ethnic.
    Mia from TX was a gangster. Cliff was a bomb waiting to explode.
    Marcel was the perfect reality TV contestant:
    He made all yall hate him (just like the producers were hoping)
    and just kept on whipping up the next-level food. He obviously
    understood his role early on and went for it.
    Dude was good TV.
    I want my salad dressing served in a teardrop shaped glucose sac.
    Don't get me started on the fauxhawked chump who won.

SEASON THREE: Boom. Contestants are a finetuned bunch of realtyTV
    thoroughbreds. All real cooks (save maybe MississippiSuicide homey.)
    Kenmore shit looks better, new line.
    Tom is in his groove. Fuck a Bourdain.
    Gail is lookin good, and now she has Tim Allen so she dosen't feel
    left out when Tom and Padme play bootygrab between
    bites of black chicken claw.
    A.Bourdain is tolerable, but all htis talk of a coup over T.C.
    is just silly. Dude has his game down.

That is all.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

jesus i'm scared

NO NO!

Uh oh. Motown = from his own Chinese-ness?

Aw shit. I blame it on being not only 8th generation ABC, but also an Asian-Caucasian!

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    Did anyone here go to Evergreen College? I always thought that UC Santa Cruz's mascot of the banana slug was wacky but Evergreen topped it by having the geoduck as their mascot!

The Geoduck Fight Song

(words and music by Malcolm Stilson, 1971)

Go, Geoducks go,
    Through the mud and the sand,
    let's go.
    Siphon high, squirt it out,
    swivel all about,
    let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,
    Stretch your necks when the tide
    is low
    swivel all about,
    let it all hang out.

Did anyone here go to Evergreen College? I always thought that UC Santa Cruz's mascot of the banana slug was wacky but Evergreen topped it by having the geoduck as their mascot!

The Geoduck Fight Song

(words and music by Malcolm Stilson, 1971)

Go, Geoducks go,
    Through the mud and the sand,
    let's go.
    swivel all about,
    let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,
    Stretch your necks when the tide
    is low
    swivel all about,
    let it all hang out.

I always knew there was something wrong with that school!

from wikipedia:

"The geoduck is the official mascot of The Evergreen State College, located at the southernmost tip of Puget Sound in Olympia, Washington. The school's Latin motto, Omnia Extares (or, "let it all hang out") is at least partially intended as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the creature's phallic appearance.[/b]"

• Tom Colicchio is one of the best things the show has going for it. Anthony bourdain is also great, but not as measured in the things he says. Tom is able to talk about the food in a way that allows a viewer who can't taste or smell it a real understanding for the texture and flavor of the dishes.

When that dude from Miami threw the quote back at AB, it was one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen on the show. That was brilliant.

It looks like a much more competitive season than last year.

I liked the way Tre praised Hung's food...classy. I know that Tom liked that he tasted it. He always seems amazed that people don't taste other's food.

I don't really like Padma that much. I don't trust her palate. I remember last year during the finals she said something so ridiculous and both Tom and Gail were like, huh. She is better than Billy Joel's wife, but she's far from Heidi Klum.

Gail is fine. She knows what she's talking about. She's just not that funny or especially entertaining when she speaks.

I guess Ted Allen is a permanent judge. We'll see...

oh...and I never realized geoduck was pronounced gooey-duck. Or is that just a chef thing?

Mike,

My problem with Tom is that I'm not sure what "purpose" he serves that makes me care about him beyond the fact that he's not a bad judge but I don't understand why we see any more of him besides at the judge's table. I know "Top Chef" didn't want to bite "Project Runway" too closely but frankly, I LIKE the idea of a mentor being around to help fools and not just stare at everyone's dishes like they're suspect.

And in any case, as a personality, Tom's about as exciting as soda crackers.

Oliver

Tom Colicchio is one of the best things the show has going for it. Anthony bourdain is also great, but not as measured in the things he says. Tom is able to talk about the food in a way that allows a viewer who can't taste or smell it a real understanding for the texture and flavor of the dishes.

When that dude from Miami threw the quote back at AB, it was one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen on the show. That was brilliant.

It looks like a much more competitive season than last year.

I liked the way Tre praised Hung's food...classy. I know that Tom liked that he tasted it. He always seems amazed that people don't taste other's food.

I don't really like Padma that much. I don't trust her palate. I remember last year during the finals she said something so ridiculous and both Tom and Gail were like, huh. She is better than Billy Joel's wife, but she's far from Heidi Klum.

Gail is fine. She knows what she's talking about. She's just not that funny or especially entertaining when she speaks.

I guess Ted Allen is a permanent judge. We'll see...

oh...and I never realized geoduck was pronounced gooey-duck. Or is that just a chef thing?

• Mike,

My problem with Tom is that I'm not sure what "purpose" he serves that makes me care about him beyond the fact that he's not a bad judge but I don't understand why we see any more of him besides at the judge's table. I know "Top Chef" didn't want to bite "Project Runway" too closely but frankly, I LIKE the idea of a mentor being around to help fools and not just stare at everyone's dishes like they're suspect.

And in any case, as a personality, Tom's about as exciting as soda crackers.

Oliver

OK, I get that. It's true, he doesn't mentor in the kitchen at all. He definitely mentors at the judges table, something tim gunn doesn't have the chance to do. I also think that the mentoring that Tim Gunn does on PR is more conducive the challenges that the designers have. Since they usually have a day plus to design, there's more step back and think about what you're doing time. I wonder how mentoring in the TC (Top Chef, not Tom C) challenges would work.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

no, that is the correct pronunciation.

Guest judges I've enjoyed the most have been Bourdain obviously, also Eric Ripert.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ok I finally watched it. You know Bourdain is taking dude out to Yakitori Totto.

Overall, per usual, I wish they didn't skip over so many dish descriptions. Especially the quickfire challenge.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Yakitori Totto! One of my favorite spots in NY. I eat there every time I'm in Manhattan. I wish they had a location here in Seattle. What up Aser, Had dinner at Nishino here in Seattle last night and the sushi was quite good. You would have enjoyed the seared Foie gras with maguro, shitake and a red wine balsamic soy reduction sauce.

http://www.nishinorestaurant.com/

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Tom Gunn > Tom C.

it's becoming clear why Hung and Marcel are friends. what an ass! my friend tonight pointed out that he's always running and i never realized that. he reminds me of those people who don't wait till i exit the BART train and block me cause their trying to get a seat first. anyway...

he reminds me of those people who don't wait till i exit the BART train and block me cause their trying to get a seat first. anyway...

ugghhh people do that all the time here in denver when i'm getting off the train. i always want to tell them "move bitch! get out the waaay!"

on topic though: did tonight's episode just seem really lame to anybody else? none of these "top chefs" could conquer a simple american style dish with low carbs? kinda lame. howie's dish looked pretty plain and boring. so he cut up the pork chop and threw some apple slaw on top. WOW how imaginative! none of those dishes looked remotely good or creative.

and yeah, hung seems kinda like the type who might quietly sabotage the competition, but he did mention in show one that he was the bad guy. at least he's honest!

Was it just me or did a lot of the ladies get almost completely cut out of last week's episode. After the quick fire challenge a number of the women got very little to no face time. What was up with that? It seems like they're focusing on who they think are the best chefs, the ones that have arguments, and then the criers. What's up with that?