TOP CHEF 3

Comments

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    Was it just me or did a lot of the ladies get almost completely cut out of last week's episode. After the quick fire challenge a number of the women got very little to no face time. What was up with that? It seems like they're focusing on who they think are the best chefs, the ones that have arguments, and then the criers. What's up with that?

Yes- my boyfriend and I were having a problem with this as well. There were some faces that we saw towards the end and we had no idea who they were! It does seem like right now it's the hotshots and fuckups that get the most time but maybe for the sake of editing and dealing w/so many chefs that was the decisions the editors had to make.

Either way, I have to download this stuff via torrents and can't wait to get episode 3...so if someone's got it, please post it up for us non-tv/cable people.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Was it just me or did a lot of the ladies get almost completely cut out of last week's episode. After the quick fire challenge a number of the women got very little to no face time. What was up with that? It seems like they're focusing on who they think are the best chefs, the ones that have arguments, and then the criers. What's up with that?

i had no idea Lia existed until last night's episode

as for this week's challenge i thought it was boring to begin with. cooking for the elk's lodge kinda has limitations already but then having to make it low in cholesterol is nuts. i just don't think they would have responded well to a radical reinvention of these traditional comfort dishes and i think the chefs were aware of that. hung's take on fried chicken looked delectable still but then someone complained "well, it's not the fried chicken my grandma makes" uh, no shit. it's supposed to be low in cholesterol.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

as for this week's challenge i thought it was boring to begin with. cooking for the elk's lodge kinda has limitations already but then having to make it low in cholesterol is nuts. i just don't think they would have responded well to a radical reinvention of these traditional comfort dishes and i think the chefs were aware of that. hung's take on fried chicken looked delectable still but then someone complained "well, it's not the fried chicken my grandma makes" uh, no shit. it's supposed to be low in cholesterol.

As far as I was concerned, last night's episode was fine because if just because it got rid of that annoying ass girl who's name I've blocked from my memory. Crying because you miss your kid after being there for, what, 3 days? COME ON. You lost the quickfire. That's why you're crying, dumbo. And her little "I hear Americans like to eat mash potatoes with ketchup" thing was quite annoying too. Man that girl pissed me off.

And, at the end of the episode she was all "It's better I leave now... *sniffle sniffle*... It's better this way." Dude, shut the hell up with that BS!

That dude Tre isn't fairing as well as I thought. And what about Hung being all like "Yeah, I turned the heat off" when he's on the private camera, but to that girl he's all like "Uh, nah I didn't touch anything." Hah! I'm going to hate him very soon.

This show is the best though.

This is old news and I like dude but Anthony Bourdain's "What is your major malfunction line" in the first episode was cringe-worthy. It wasn't clever or anything.

-e

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

yeah but at the same time, these elks walked into the place expecting some world class gourmet chefs to make them a meal, i don't think they were expecting "Mom's meatloaf", ya know? And I think that's where the judges were coming from too. You are top chefs, not line cooks. Cook like a top chef, just follow the ideas and rules of the challenge but be creative and still keep it gourmet.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    And what about Hung being all like "Yeah, I turned the heat off" when he's on the private camera, but to that girl he's all like "Uh, nah I didn't touch anything." Hah! I'm going to hate him very soon.

and yeah, hung seems kinda like the type who might quietly sabotage the competition, but he did mention in show one that he was the bad guy. at least he's honest!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Padma's single again. Hollllaaaaa.

(This is Rushdie's...what? 4th divorce?)

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Brian is done

• sergserg 682 Posts
    they cut tre, fuck that show it's not worth watching anymore

they cut tre

damn really?! i was pulling for him and thought he was pretty consistent. i taped it last night but i couldn't resist clicking on this thread. why must i cry

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Tre is definitely more talented than Casey (kept around for bikini shots) and CJ. However, he deserved to go because he failed as sous. It's the risk he took assuming the position so he has to die by the sword.

That bread pudding looked boring to say the least. I'm not sure why he went back w/ the beef dish considering the judges already found it boring the first go around. Just bad decision making all around, and that is perhaps even more important than cooking skills for a sous chef.

Howie still hasn't cooked anything that isn't HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY (no Pino). He is one stubborn dude, he will be his worst enemy.

Brian still hasn't cooked anything non-seafood, again he is just coasting under the radar.

So far, I'm most disappointed in Lia. She has chops, but maybe the pressure got to her. I must admit she's cute too.

Tre is definitely more talented than Casey (kept around for bikini shots) and CJ. However, he deserved to go because he failed as sous. It's the risk he took assuming the position so he has to die by the sword.

That bread pudding looked boring to say the least. I'm not sure why he went back w/ the beef dish considering the judges already found it boring the first go around. Just bad decision making all around, and that is perhaps even more important than cooking skills for a sous chef.

Howie still hasn't cooked anything that isn't HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY (no Pino). He is one stubborn dude, he will be his worst enemy.

Brian still hasn't cooked anything non-seafood, again he is just coasting under the radar.

So far, I'm most dissapointed in Lia. She has chops, but maybe the pressure got to her. I must admit she's cute too.

Tre wasn't sous. He was the exec. chef. And yeah, I'm bummed he got cut too even though he was the logical choice.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    oops, I meant to type exec, sorry.

also, another point about Howie. He needs to start cooking for the customer instead of himself. Just because you can eat 3 heavy dishes in a row doesn't mean the paying public will. Biggest mistake of most young chefs, their head is too far stuck up their ass, they forget it's a "service" industry.

Brian's preference for seafood is advantageous considering the season/loacation of the show. The heat plays to his strength of light, refreshing dishes.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Howie will most likely make it to the final two. Perhaps a showdown between him and Sara (even though she doesn't really deserve it)?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I understand why they cut tre and it sucks he fucked up but there isn't anyone else on there that I give a shit about that would keep me watching. Howie is a fucking bitchmade who only puts up a fight infront of a judge and when the other bitchmades are crying. Sara is crap and annoying. Casey should have been cut a while back, she's average. Hung is like a mouse caught in a brightly light room with nothing to hide under. Brian is a fucking used car salesmen. CJ is cool but I don't care enough about dude to keep me interested in watching the show anymore.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Anyone catch the Season 1 versus Season 2 throwdown? Just caught it on re-run.

Marcel's "lobster foam" looked kinda nasty.

I understand why they cut tre and it sucks he fucked up but there isn't anyone else on there that I give a shit about that would keep me watching.

so i guess that means that howie and bad mohawk dude are still competing?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't know how the hell Howie has survived. It's been obvious that there's been times during team challenges that he was the cause of the dissension in the group and the loss. Then during judging he just says anything about anyone to stay. I fuckin hate that guy!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I don't know how the hell Howie has survived. It's been obvious that there's been times during team challenges that he was the cause of the dissension in the group and the loss. Then during judging he just says anything about anyone to stay. I fuckin hate that guy!

plus he sweats into all the fucking food.

I hate to say it but Howie's the only person left I have any remote interest in given that he's the only person with an actual personality in the mix, save for Dale but I think Howie performs better. If Hung wasn't such a dick, I might be into his manic, overambitiousness more.

• I don't know how the hell Howie has survived. It's been obvious that there's been times during team challenges that he was the cause of the dissension in the group and the loss. Then during judging he just says anything about anyone to stay. I fuckin hate that guy!

I hate to say it but Howie's the only person left I have any remote interest in given that he's the only person with an actual personality in the mix, save for Dale but I think Howie performs better. If Hung wasn't such a dick, I might be into his manic, overambitiousness more.

Howie's my choice... the only perosn in that competition with any personality. I can't stand Hung...

I hate him because:

a. he fucking sucks

b. he makes a career out of glamourizing heroin abuse

c. he's the... oh wait... wrong thread... sorry

• unfortunately howie pretty much sucks and to me this show lost a lot of credibility this season. For all the talk of fielding a more accomplished set of chefs, it seems like the remaining players are all pretty much indistinct. I remain reticent.

i can't stand howie.

• A final 2 of Howie and Hung =

• A final 2 of Howie and Hung =

This show is the red-headed stepchild of Hell's Kitchen... now THAT's my shit! Gordon Ramsey just abusing the living shit outta all those fools.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    man I can't wait for kitchen nightmares, been watching the bbc ones for a minute now

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I see Casey Vs Howie in the finals...

Island girl should be good for about 2 more weeks

CJ =

Tre deserved to go ...dude made one of the worst dishes evar...and topped it off with that dry banana crap

Mohawk dude is starting to annoy me

Hung is garbage

Howie is a good cook.. no matter how much of an ass he is

Casey needs to pick it up just a little and she'll be fine

Brian can only cook seafood

i can't even remember that other chicks name

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    unfortunately howie pretty much sucks and to me this show lost a lot of credibility this season. For all the talk of fielding a more accomplished set of chefs, it seems like the remaining players are all pretty much indistinct. I remain reticent.

I agree.

I know ya'll hate Howie but fuck it - I would have rolled for him to make the finals and now he's gone too. Booo.

This show is helllllla dull now.

And is it just me or is Tim Gunn's new show a total clone of "What Not to Wear"? Seriously, wtf?

• I think it's telling how little action this thread has gotten, as a reflection of the dullitude of this season.

CJ, Brian, and Casey in the finals, or some shit? Just DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLL TV they got coming up there.