Jerry Falwell is Dead

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I can name churches in the U.S. that accept and even celebrate homosexuality. Is there an Islamic equivilent??

Enjoy, with my compliments.

Damn.....what Mosque is THAT!!??

Yo,

My slavic languages are a little rusty, but I think this dude is Bulgarian. Just thought it was a good time to introduce the board to the magic that is "Azis".

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...and I think I've presented more facts and logic than anyone on the other side

Yet, you are the only one who sees yourself as being "on a side"

... as usual.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    ...and I think I've presented more facts and logic than anyone on the other side

... as usual.

There are two sides to every argument...that's a fact.

Logic and facts don't apply to Rich.

ODub,
    No disrespect but you do realize that your facts and logic consisted of a link to a book by Christopher Hitchins and nothing more.......right?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

"I doubt that he could read a long book at all."

hahahhaha.

Hitchens got that deadpan thing down.

(BTW He's dead wrong on Israel but that's another thread. )

Hitchens is dead wrong on an ever-increasing number of things, but he is still the dude.

No doubt. So smart and an absolute killer if he's playing for your side.

I've heard that his thoughts on 9/11 are quite out there, though.

what do you mean "out there"? he is def not a conspiracy theory nut

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    hey old man
    take your medication
    put your drool cup back on
    sit back down in your wheelchair
    and shut the fuck up
    redneck psych drool rarer

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

... as usual.

No, it's not; that is only true of arguments about the simplest of issues.

In more nuanced discussions--a concept obviously foreign to you--there are points of agreement, points of disagreement, and plenty of points in between.

I can't argue with the King of Nuance.

Nor a straight up asshole like this little jerk-off Kala.
    (Don't bother PM'ing me with your immature bullshit)

Done.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    The athiests I have met(and am related to) are just as intolerant of anything outside their scope of belief(or non-belief) as any organized religion.

I guess the difference (in my experience) is that athiests tend to be intolerant of people whose belief systems are fucked up (in their opinion), whereas most major organized religions judge people based on their sex, sexual orientation, etc.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    While I understand your analogy, I have a hard time comparing sports to life and death issues.

If someone was to go into the basketball thread and bring up the NFL and someone's reaction was that punishment in one sport was OK, but in another it was unacceptable, that would indeed be similar hypocrisy.

Religious Intolerance is Religious Intolerance and hatred towards a group of people is hatred regardless of how old or how indoctrinated that hatred is, plain and simple.

I didn't expect folks to just bring up other comparisons to Falwell on their own, I did so on purpose because I dislike the double standards perpetuated here.[/b]

According to your argument, people are hypocrites if they do not make[/b] these comparisons whether they are related or not. That is the "double standard" that you have created in your argument. The fact that people did not bring up Islam is being hypocritical. Therefore no one bringing up the NFL is also hypocritcal. You have to criticize all religions and all sports otherwise you can't criticize any. Either that or your just want to argue about Islam, which I think, given your past comments on it, is more your point.

... as usual.

No, it's not; that is only true of arguments about the simplest of issues.

In more nuanced discussions--a concept obviously foreign to you--there are points of agreement, points of disagreement, and plenty of points in between.

Here's an example Rock. Faux has said the suspension of Stoudamire was based upon a stupid rule set up by the NBA. Why hasn't he also criticized the suspension of those NFL players? MLB might also suspend Barry Bonds over steroid use, is that also a stupid ruling? The NHL suspended some players during the season, Faux didn't comment on those. He is a hypocrite then.

And if you feel that sports and life and death issues are a bad comparison because they seem unrelated than you might actually undestand why your comparison doesn't work, because they are unrelated as well.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rich,

I've heard from mutual friends that you are, in real life, actually a pretty good dude and I can only assume that this might, in fact, be true. But on this board, you have distinguished yourself for carrying yourself not unlike another well-known Texan, currently presiding in the White House, in terms of being incredibly and unbearably close-minded, arrogant and yet, considerably oblivious...which only makes it all the harder to want to engage you in anything resembling intelligent, rational adult conversation.

That some very smart and sincere people on this board actually deign to address your queries - such as the ridiculous Falwell = all of Islam debate - is an act of such extraordinary generosity, that the only thing I consider more frustrating than your stubborness and irrationality is that good people are wasting their time on someone who clearly doesn't give a fuck about anything besides the sound of your own voice.

I don't have a huge beef with your politics; we actually see eye to eye on a few issues - but you simply have no regard or care or interest in a viewpoint other than whatever polemic you're trying to force on everyone no matter how many people gently try to point out to you, "you're not making any sense."

So why should I waste my time on trying to share a viewpoint or knowledge when I know that, unless it conforms to your warped, mind garden perspective, you'll either ignore it or find a way to completely mangle it?

God knows I don't agree with the opinions of a lot of folks around here but most of them seem capable of both 1) acknowledging what they don't know and 2) not acting like either a petulant child or bloodied martyr when people disagree with them.

Logic and facts don't apply to Rich.

ODub,
    No disrespect but you do realize that your facts and logic consisted of a link to a book by Christopher Hitchins and nothing more.......right?

Rock, I don???t expect you to make these comparisons, but there are actually lots of countries around the world that are NOT Muslim that have anti-gay laws. In fact, there are Muslim countries that have secular governments that ALSO have anti-homosexual laws. I think it???s a ???double standard??? to only criticize religious bigotry against gays and not mention the secular bigotry as well.

Many of these countries have Muslim communities, but all of them have secular governments. If you can???t tell, but almost EVERY African country has anti-gay laws and punishments, whether they have Muslims or not, and even though they have secular governments. About half of Asia also, including India, which is the 2nd largest populated country in the world, has anti-gay laws. There are also many countries in the Caribbean that are Christian or Catholic that also have anti-gay laws and secular governments

AFRICAN COUNTRIES:
    Algeria ??? secular Muslim country ???can be fined or jailed
    Angola ??? can be put in labor cants
    Benin ??? can be put in prison
    Botswana ???can be put in prison
    Cameroon ??? can be put in prison
    Djibouti ??? has anti-gay laws
    Eritrea ??? can be put in prison
    Ethiopia ???can be put in prison
    Gambia ??? can be put in prison
    Ghana ??? can be put in prison
    Guinea ??? can be put in prison
    Guinea Bissau ??? labor camps
    Kenya ??? can be imprisoned
    Lesotho ??? has anti-gay laws
    Liberia ??? can be fined
    Libya ??? can be fined or imprisoned
    Malawi ??? can be imprisoned
    Mauritania ??? can get death penalty
    Mauritius ??? can be imprisoned
    Mozambique ??? can get labor camp
    Nigeria ??? can be fined, imprisoned, death penalty
    Sao Tome ??? can be put into labor camps
    Senegal ??? prison
    Seychelles ??? anti-gay laws
    Sierra Leone ??? life in prison
    Somalia ??? Death or prison
    Sudan ??? prison or death
    Swaziland ??? prison or fine
    Tanazania ??? Life in prison
    Togo ??? prison
    Tunisia ??? prison
    Uganda ??? fine or life in prison
    Zambia ??? fine or prison
    Zimbabwe ??? fine or prison

ASIAN COUNTRIES:
    Bahrain ??? fine or prison
    Bangladesh ??? prison or life
    Bhutan ??? anti-gay lawss
    Brunei ??? fine or prison
    Chechnya ??? caning or death
    India ??? Life or prison
    Iran ??? death
    Kuwait ??? fine or jail
    Lebanon ??? fine or jail
    Malaysia ??? fine or jail
    Maldives ??? fine or jail
    Burma ??? life or prison
    Nepal ??? fine or jail
    Oman ??? fine or jail
    Pakistan ??? life or prison
    Qatar ??? prison
    Singapore ??? life or prison
    Sri Lanka ??? Prison or fine
    Syria ??? prison or fine
    UAE ??? death
    Uzbekistan ??? fine or prison
    Yemen ??? death or flogging

EUROPEAN COUNTRIES:
    Turkey ??? prison

AMERICAS:
    Antigua and Barbuda ??? prison
    Barbados ??? Life
    Belize ??? prison
    Dominica ??? prison
    Grenada ??? prison
    Jamaica ??? prison
    Nicaragua ??? jail
    Saint Kitts ??? prison
    Saint Lucia ??? prison
    St. Vincent ??? fine or prison
    Trinidad & Tobago ??? fine or prison
    Guyana ??? life

And Turkey, Indonesia, Jordan, Egypt and Iraq are Muslim countries that have secular governments but no anti-gay laws

If you can't tell from the list Rock, it's actually not Islam or even religion that's behind anti-homosexuality in the world, it's about 1/2 of the world and the majority of the secular governments in the world. It's not religion then, but secularism that we should be concerned about fighting to end homophobia!

This thread began with people celebrating the death of a Religious Leader so hateful and evil that if it were up to him and his followers, there would be laws making homosexuality illegal and punishable by law.

And in the same thread...

Some of the same people...

Are defending an entirely different religion that has already put these Falwellian laws into effect in every country that they are in power and have excuted 1,000's of people under said laws.

Slice it and dice it anyway you want.....

That's some amazing shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Are defending an entirely different religion that has already put these Falwellian laws into effect in every country that they are in power and have excuted 1,000's of people under said laws.

This post is oddly familiar... I almost feel as if I've seen it several dozen times before.

This post is oddly familiar... I almost feel as if I've seen it several dozen times before.

Here's one you never seen before...

Hate is always black and white

Defending hate is always gray.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've presented more facts and logic than anyone on the other side

4 years on this board has taught me that facts and logic are secondary in the thought process of many a strutter. And it's the same dudes, going off on tangents about nothing.

Faux, you are like Spike Lee at a Knicks game. Stop it dude.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    This is so typical. Even Larry Flint could find something nice to say, but I didn't really expect anything less from you ass-clowns.

I would also like to rub your nose in the fact, that if it weren't for the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade, the Fundamentalist Religious Right would never, NEVER[/b] have become the political force that it has. If the Court had left well-enough alone, the State abortion laws, which had been trending toward liberalization anyway, would have probably continued to where they are at today. But, instead, the Court's fudging the law in PP v. Casey and Roe electrified the religious-right and lead to the election of the last three Republican Presidents.

Choke on that, bitches.

I love this argument. If the Supreme Court hadn't defended an individual's right to privacy under the Due Process clause, the bigots on the religious right would never have had to fight against said defense of an individual's right to privacy under the Due Process clause. Brilliant.

The Due Process Clause protects fundamental rights, of which abortion is not one. The surest way to dilute or expand Constitutional meaning is the substitution of the Constitution's language with words more or less flexible in meaning. Best illustrated by the substitution of "right to privacy" for the actual Fourth Amendment guarantee against "unreasonable search and seizure."

oh man. do you have ANY clue what you're talking about?

you do realize there are two Due Process Clauses, right? you do realize neither one is contained in the 4th Amendment, right? you do realize the Roe decision, and by extension the Casey decision, found a right to privacy protection in the due process clause of the 14th Amendment , right? you do realize that you have totally conflated this right to privacy with the "reasonable expectation of privacy" of fourth amendment jurisprudence, right? you do realize you should shut the fuck up now, right?

Non-economic substantive due process of the 14th Amendment applies those rights contained in the Bill of Rights, or if unenumerated then those fundamental in nature, to the States. In order to apply a right to abortion to the states through the 14th Amendment, you have to determine it to be either a fundamental right or in the Bill of Rights. In Roe, Blackmun premised the right to choose, in part on the penumbras analysis of Griswold to avoid the discredited analysis of the Lochner era. In Griswold the right was considered to be found in the penumbras of, among others, the 4th Amendment.

summer's here. you guys are so in need of a bluebook.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't know a whole lot of things, but I know this: You fight fire with water.

We all seem to be in full accord on the following point: Jerry Falwell at times espoused hate couched in the name of his personal religion towards millions of people in this country that he did not agree with. Let's let this spirit of hate die with him and move on.

That's it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This thread began with people celebrating the death of a Religious Leader so hateful and evil that if it were up to him and his followers, there would be laws making homosexuality illegal and punishable by law.

unfucking believable that you would post this after the last several posts motown made

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ol' jerry would be proud of this thread

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    In regards to Jerry Falwell and his ilk, I think my little buddy M.K, Gandhi said it best.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

That some very smart and sincere people on this board actually deign to address your queries - such as the ridiculous Falwell = all of Islam debate - is an act of such extraordinary generosity, that the only thing I consider more frustrating than your stubborness and irrationality is that good people are wasting their time on someone who clearly doesn't give a fuck about anything besides the sound of your own voice.

dude O-dub c'mon. the Strut is all about people engaging stupid people in stupid arguments. didn't I see you wasting your time in the inane "Philly Stress" thread just today?

don't pretend like you are doing anyone a favor by engaging them in argument. some of y'all actually sound a little pathetic debating Rich all day and then turning around and saying you shouldn't even be wasting your time. you obviously thought he and his argument were worth something or the thread wouldn't be this long.

there's a lot of bullshit gets talked about/debated/argued about on the strut. the list of stupid/ignorant topics/opinions on this board is endless. and even if you happened to totally disagree with Rich's politics, he ranks nowhere near the top of that list.

the list of stupid/ignorant topics/opinions on this board is endless.

You gotta give credit where credit is due. Some dudes are great at turning nothing into something. Or turning something into nothing.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Thanks to A++ for posting that Hitchens clip. Ginzu needs to hire that guy for its informercials cause he slices and dices like no other. Whew, just full blast for the American little dudes. Loving it.

ol' jerry would be proud of this thread

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

unfucking believable that you would post this after the last several posts motown made

I mean how difficult is it to admit that Fallwell does not = Islam?

It is clear that Fallwell does not = Christianity...

Shouldn't the parallel apply?

Rich you are making yourself out to be a bigot and I know you are not that.

• it's pitiful the way yall feel the need to pack hunt a broken down old retard like rockadelic.

It is incredibly obvious that liberals feel much more comfortable denigrating christians than they do muslims. This largely owing to islam being mentally associated with ethnic minorities.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    it's pitiful the way yall feel the need to pack hunt a broken down old retard like rockadelic.

It is incredibly obvious that liberals feel much more comfortable denigrating christians than they do muslims. This largely owing to islam being mentally associated with ethnic minorities.

No, it's because we live in a predominantly Christian culture and feel better qualified to comment on the contradictions and hypocrisies of the fundamentalists in our midst.