Jerry Falwell is Dead

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    niggas fag

BAN.

wait. so you had Dizzy on ignore, but you bother reading this piece of shit? do yourself a favor. seriously.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

wait. so you had Dizzy on ignore, but you bother reading this piece of shit? do yourself a favor. seriously.

Dolo has a better sense of humor.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Props to that saba fag for excercising his pimp hand above.

theres a pretty good chance I fucked up the analysis again.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Dolo has a better sense of humor.

Biggest diss, EVAR.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm not a Christian.

I thought Falwell was a Dick.

But as someone who has been attacked here for not respecting certain religions, I have two serious questions for those Strutters who are enjoying their Falwell grave dancing today.

1) If simple cartoons attacking RADICAL ISLAM are insulting to ALL Muslims, then why aren't similar attacks on the Religious Right insulting to ALL Christians?
    And how could you support one and damn the other?
    (I don't think either are true)

2) If Falwell's stance on issues like Apartheid and intolerance towards things like Homosexuality justify intense hatred, why don't you have the same hatred for a religion like mainstream Islam which basically has the same beliefs?
    (I dislike them both equally)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not a Christian.

I thought Falwell was a Dick.

But as someone who has been attacked here for not respecting certain religions, I have two serious questions for those Strutters who are enjoying their Falwell grave dancing today.

1) If simple cartoons attacking RADICAL ISLAM are insulting to ALL Muslims, then why aren't similar attacks on the Religious Right insulting to ALL Christians?

2) If Falwell's stance on issues like Apartheid and intolerance towards things like Homosexuality justify intense hatred, why don't you have the same hatred for a religion like mainstream Islam which basically has the same beliefs?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I think you have a very skewed idea of what mainstream Islam is.

I'm sure the photo is insightful and humorous...unfortunately it just comes up as a red "x" on my screen

What is mainstream Islam's views on homosexuality??

We can start there.

I think he is exactly right. What do they say, a moderate muslim is one who only wants to kill jews.

It would go well with his ideas about "mainstream Christianity"

It would go well with his ideas about "mainstream Christianity"

Faux....just once, instead of posting snarky wise ass comments, shut me up with some facts.

What do YOU believe mainstream Islam's view on homosexuality is??

More tolerant than that of Falwell's??

The leading imam in Manchester confirms that he thinks the execution of sexually active gay men is justified, the rights group Outrage reported.

Arshad Misbahi of the Manchester Central Mosque confirmed his views in a conversation to John Casson, a local psychotherapist.

Casson said: ???I asked him if the execution of gay Muslims in Iran and Iraq was an acceptable punishment in Sharia law, or the result of culture, not religion.

???He told me that in a true Islamic state, such punishments were part of Islam: If the person had had a trial, at which four witnesses testified that they had seen the actual homosexual acts.???

???I asked him what would be the British Muslim view? He repeated that in an Islamic state these punishments were justified. They might result in the deaths of thousands but if this deterred millions from having sex, and spreading disease, then it was worthwhile to protect the wider community.???

???I checked again that this was not a matter of tradition, culture or local prejudice. ???No,??? he said, ???It is part of the central tenets of Islam: that sex outside marriage is forbidden; this is stated in the Koran and the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had stated that these punishments were due to such behaviours.???"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I think the issue with this was the portrayal of Muhammed, which, as I understand it, is offensive to all Muslims, radical or not. That said, I'm all for peeling normal, sane religious people away from their radical, nutzo brethren. (And that said, I do have very major points of disagreement with basically every organized religion, so a Christianity vs. Islam pissing contest doesn't interest me, particularly seeing as how it only ends up with everybody being covered in piss, and I am not R. Kelly and therefore don't enjoy such things.)

Well, for me, you sort of answered the question for me: I dislike them both (see my dislike of organized religion). The primary pragmatic difference here is that Falwell had a lot of political clout with which to push his assholicism upon America as a whole; indeed, he will be remembered much more as a political person than he will as a religious one. And despite (or, more cynically, because of) those bigoted views, he was fully embraced by a political party to use those attitudes to deliver votes. There's nothing Muslims en masse have in this country that even compares.

So yes, at the end of the day, bigotry is bigotry no matter which religious sheen you try to put on it. But we aren't really at the end of the day, here.

There's nothing Muslims en masse have in this country that even compares.

yeah. they'll just saw your head off for you if you do something they don't like.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

We can start there.

Dude - Rich - ALL THREE major religions ban homosexuality. There are varying degrees of adherence to a strict reading of the holy books in every religion. There are gay Muslims, gay Christians, LOTS of gay Jews (lol) and homophobes as well. There is a vast middle ground of varying degrees of tolerance. I hate to ask this but do you know many Muslims? It doesn't sound like it.

I'm not even going to START getting into this debate with you; we've had it several times over. If you are so interested in learning about Islam why don't you start by going to a mosque.

Until then, I will respectfully view your posts on the matter as uninformed at best.

yeah. they'll just saw your head off for you if you do something they don't like.

Who will? Has there been a Muslims-decapitating-infidels spree in America I wasn't aware of?

Enki,
    In this global world we live in, the fact that millions of radical believers of ANY religion simply exist, even if not in the U.S., is just as scary and dangerous as anything we do have here and shouldn't be tolerated or ignored.

Who will? Has there been a Muslims-decapitating-infidels spree in America I wasn't aware of?

do honor killings count?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Enki,
    In this global world we live in, the fact that millions of radical believers of ANY religion simply exist, even if not in the U.S., is just as scary and dangerous as anything we do have here and shouldn't be tolerated or ignored.

Here's your book, my man!

http://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Great-Religion-Everything/dp/0446579807

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

yep.

yep.

damn!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Isn't rejoicing over someone's death kinda...Falwellian?

I wasn't a fan, but still.

word.

And i'm waiting for some little dude to defend Falwell's past statements.

do honor killings count?

Why? Has there been a heretofore-unnoticed spree of those as well?

We can start there.

Dude - Rich - ALL THREE major religions ban homosexuality. There are varying degrees of adherence to a strict reading of the holy books in every religion. There are gay Muslims, gay Christians, LOTS of gay Jews (lol) and homophobes as well. There is a vast middle ground of varying degrees of tolerance. I hate to ask this but do you know many Muslims? It doesn't sound like it.

I'm not even going to START getting into this debate with you; we've had it several times over. If you are so interested in learning about Islam why don't you start by going to a mosque.

Until then, I will respectfully view your posts on the matter as uninformed at best.

Jonny....this is absurd.

The fact that there are gay Christians doesn't discount Falwell's views any more than the fact that there are gay Muslims discount the fact that the GREAT MAJORITY of Imams and Muslim leaders are intolerant of and preach against homosexuality.

Until you can post facts to the contrary, it will be me, viewing your posts as short sighted and skewed.

Enki,
    In this global world we live in, the fact that millions of radical believers[/b] of ANY religion simply exist, even if not in the U.S., is just as scary and dangerous as anything we do have here and shouldn't be tolerated or ignored.

And here I thought we were talking about "mainstream" Islam.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

word.

You forgot - this is Soul Strut ... so instead,
    Rockadelic comes along and changes it into a debate on
    Christianity versus Islam - because all Strutters are
    Islam apologists, you know.

yep.

damn!

No i didn't Im right it is substantive due process.

Enki,

Thanks but as a 'realist" I don't need to read an "Athiest Manifesto" any more than I need to read a book by Pat Robertson.

word.

You forgot - this is Soul Strut ... so instead,
    Rockadelic comes along and changes it into a debate on
    Christianity versus Islam - because all Strutters are
    Islam apologists, you know.

It's called hypocrisy....and it's my hobby.

And this place is a virtual playground of it.