IMUS=ANUS-WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Comments

• everyone knows nyc is, in fact, the equivalent of hymietown

wow

That dude is "de Jewish" though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's still a pretty bizarre thing to say

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    yea, as bizaree as....i dont know, "chinatown", "little italy", etc.

Except that in most cities, there are neighborhoods such as Chinatown and Little Italy... that is what they are called

I've lived in New York City ten years and never heard of a neighborhood called "Hymie Town".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I don't think it's the samething...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    everyone knows nyc is, in fact, the equivalent of hymietown

wow

Hymietown Stand Up

i hope they bring up senator byrd next

Saba?

For real though, I think Drewnice got the right idea here, Obama will never make it if his positions make him "the black candidate," he can only win and ultimately accomplish anything if he runs as the 'breath of fresh air' candidate, one component of which is the fact that he's not a white male.

• Did anyone notice that the coach called his players "articulate"?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    chicago had 'jew town' at the maxwell st market for a long time

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've lived in New York City ten years and never heard of a neighborhood called "Hymie Town".

Don Imus would say it's the Garment District.

(Seriously, there was a bit on the show about 15 years ago that I remember in which the character of Jeanne Kirkpatrick said that we should make the Garment District the Jews' homeland, thereby solving all the conflict in the ME.)

Jew Town sounds a bit more like Chinatown or Little Italy

Hymie Town is like Honkey Hollow or Beaner Basin... see the difference

Except that in most cities, there are neighborhoods such as Chinatown and Little Italy... that is what they are called

again, he didnt say it in a deragatory way. there are more jews in nyc than anywhere else....especially back in the 80s. i was a kid when jackson made those comments so i couldnt tell you whether jews were offended. i would not have been and if i ever open a theme park, jesse will get credit for the name.

• In Chicago, some black folks still call the Maxwell Street area
    "Jew Town".

Ex.A, popular rapper Common:

And the city is all run down, we troop down to Jew Town
    Talking cat down on some gear, have enough for a Polish...[/b]

• Honkey Hollow

Honkey Hollow

Honkey Hollow

Honkey Hollow

Honkey Hollow

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Maybe so. But Jew isn't a derogatory slur. Hymie is. Chinatown and Lil Italy isn't either. Maybe if people called it Wopville.

But what do I know, Keith doesn't mind being called Jew Unit - The Goon Squad. So I guess this wouldn't bother him either.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

In Chicago, some black folks still call the Maxwell Street area
    "Jew Town".

Ex.A, popular rapper Common:

And the city is all run down, we troop down to Jew Town
    Talking cat down on some gear, have enough for a Polish...[/b]
    yah my past tense was more about how maxwell st market isn't quite what it once was
    thnx uic

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    On blacks:

"William Cohen, the Mandingo deal." (Former Defense Secretary Cohen's wife is African-American.)

"Wasn't in a woodpile, was he?" (Responding to news that former black militant H. Rap Brown, subsequently known as Abdullah Al-Amin, was found hiding in a shed in Alabama after exchanging gunfire with police. Imus is here alluding to the expression "nigger in the woodpile.")

"Knuckle-dragging moron." (Description of basketball player Patrick Ewing.)

"We all have 12-inch penises." (After being asked what he has in common with Nat Turner, Malcolm X, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Latrell Sprewell from the New York Knicks, and Al Sharpton.)

"Chest-thumping pimps." (Description of the New York Knicks.)

"A cleaning lady." (Reference to journalist Gwen Ifill, possibly out of pique that she wouldn't appear on his show. "I certainly don't know any black journalists who will," she wrote in the April 10 New York Times. The Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page used to appear, but after he made Imus pledge not to make offensive comments in the future, he was never asked back.)

On Jews:

"I remember when I first had [the Blind Boys of Alabama] on a few years ago, how the Jewish management at whatever, whoever we work for, CBS, or whatever it is, were bitching at me about it. [???] I tried to put it in terms that these money-grubbing bastards could understand."

"Boner-nosed ??? beanie-wearing Jewboy." (Description of Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post, a frequent guest.)

On women:

"That buck-tooth witch Satan, Hillary Clinton." [???] "I never admitted it when I went down there and got in all that big jam, insulting Bill Clinton and his fat ugly wife, Satan. Did I? Did I ever say I was sorry for that?"

On Native Americans:

"The guy from F-Troop, Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell." (This is a reference to the zany Indian characters on the 1960s TV sitcom F-Troop. They had names like "Roaring Chicken," "Crazy Cat," and "Chief Wild Eagle.")

On Japanese:

"Old Kabuki's in a coma and the market's going up. [???] How old is the boy? The battery's running down on that boy." (Reference to Japanese Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi, who died the following week.)

On gays:

"I didn't know that Allan Bloom was coming in from the back end." (The homosexuality of the author of The Closing of the American Mind became widely known when Saul Bellow published Ravelstein, a novel whose protagonist was based on Bloom, who by then was deceased.)

"The enormously attractive [NBC political correspondent] Chip Reid, I can say without being accused of being some limp-wristed 'mo."

On the handicapped:

"Janet Reno's having a press conference. Ms. Reno, of course, has Parkinson's disease, has a noticeable tremor. [???] I don't know how she gets that lipstick on (laughter) looking like a rodeo clown."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Nappy headed is like when you need to get your braids redone right? Or whenever black people hair gets fuzzy?

I agree it sounded real bad when imus said it, but is it really a racial slant in itself? or just when an old white guy says it?

What was really shocking to me wasnt imu's comment, but the reaction to people being offended. If you turn on l.a. daytime talk radio (not reccomended) all you hear is furious white people calling in support of dude and saying shit like the civil rights movement is out of control and black people need to shut up. Then they tie it into some illegal immigrant rant. Discusting.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    On blacks:

"William Cohen, the Mandingo deal." (Former Defense Secretary Cohen's wife is African-American.)

"Wasn't in a woodpile, was he?" (Responding to news that former black militant H. Rap Brown, subsequently known as Abdullah Al-Amin, was found hiding in a shed in Alabama after exchanging gunfire with police. Imus is here alluding to the expression "nigger in the woodpile.")

"Knuckle-dragging moron." (Description of basketball player Patrick Ewing.)

"We all have 12-inch penises." (After being asked what he has in common with Nat Turner, Malcolm X, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Latrell Sprewell from the New York Knicks, and Al Sharpton.)

"Chest-thumping pimps." (Description of the New York Knicks.)

"A cleaning lady." (Reference to journalist Gwen Ifill, possibly out of pique that she wouldn't appear on his show. "I certainly don't know any black journalists who will," she wrote in the April 10 New York Times. The Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page used to appear, but after he made Imus pledge not to make offensive comments in the future, he was never asked back.)

On Jews:

"I remember when I first had [the Blind Boys of Alabama] on a few years ago, how the Jewish management at whatever, whoever we work for, CBS, or whatever it is, were bitching at me about it. [???] I tried to put it in terms that these money-grubbing bastards could understand."

"Boner-nosed ??? beanie-wearing Jewboy." (Description of Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post, a frequent guest.)

On women:

"That buck-tooth witch Satan, Hillary Clinton." [???] "I never admitted it when I went down there and got in all that big jam, insulting Bill Clinton and his fat ugly wife, Satan. Did I? Did I ever say I was sorry for that?"

On Native Americans:

"The guy from F-Troop, Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell." (This is a reference to the zany Indian characters on the 1960s TV sitcom F-Troop. They had names like "Roaring Chicken," "Crazy Cat," and "Chief Wild Eagle.")

On Japanese:

"Old Kabuki's in a coma and the market's going up. [???] How old is the boy? The battery's running down on that boy." (Reference to Japanese Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi, who died the following week.)

On gays:

"I didn't know that Allan Bloom was coming in from the back end." (The homosexuality of the author of The Closing of the American Mind became widely known when Saul Bellow published Ravelstein, a novel whose protagonist was based on Bloom, who by then was deceased.)

"The enormously attractive [NBC political correspondent] Chip Reid, I can say without being accused of being some limp-wristed 'mo."

On the handicapped:

"Janet Reno's having a press conference. Ms. Reno, of course, has Parkinson's disease, has a noticeable tremor. [???] I don't know how she gets that lipstick on (laughter) looking like a rodeo clown."

^^^ Howard Stern?

Honkey Hollow

PRIME location. who wants it?

there are more jews in nyc than anywhere else....especially back in the 80s.

really professor vanhorn? please to regale us with you knowledge of NY demography, and the changing face of ethnic population centers over the last three decades.

i was a kid when jackson made those comments so i couldnt tell you whether jews were offended.

they were.

i would not have been

good for you.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

really professor deej?
    i did not say that

really professor deej?
    i did not say that

my bad.

Keithvanhorn - please to drop knowledge!

really professor deej?
    i did not say that

who said all the stuff block quoted above? was that a response to the Stern thing earlier?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

really professor deej?
    i did not say that

who said all the stuff block quoted above? was that a response to the Stern thing earlier?
    the block quote is shit Imus has said

really professor deej?
    i did not say that

my bad.

The New York metropolitan area is home to the largest Jewish population in the world outside Israel. New York's Jewish population in 2001 was approximately 1.97 million, 1.4 million more than in Jerusalem but 600,000 less than in Tel Aviv.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Nappy headed is like when you need to get your braids redone right? Or whenever black people hair gets fuzzy?

I agree it sounded real bad when imus said it, but is it really a racial slant in itself? or just when an old white guy says it?

I am not a race relations expert but "nappy" always has had negative connotations, at least to me. Plus context is everything. If you're black and your dad tells you to get a haircut because it's getting too nappy, that's fine. BUt it's not a word as a white guy I would use to casually describe anything.

really professor deej?
    i did not say that

my bad.

The New York metropolitan area is home to the largest Jewish population in the world outside Israel. New York's Jewish population in 2001 was approximately 1.97 million, 1.4 million more than in Jerusalem but 600,000 less than in Tel Aviv.

right but I would venture that NY is home to the largest population of many ethnic groups outside of their countries of origin. what, then, justifies calling NY hymietown beyond simple contempt?

anyway we are off topic.

no, you are right in that it certainly wasn't a compliment. i never have heard the phrase "hymie" used in my life, outside of jackson and a jewish deli near me that is called "hymies". based on the latter, i never assumed that what jackson said could be deragatory, but a quick google search teaches me that it is. accordingly, i'm not gonna defend jesse on that, but i will give him credit for being up on jewish slang.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    KVH + rootlesscosmo = dream e-beef

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I am not a race relations expert but...

SoulStrut's epitaph