IMUS=ANUS-WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Comments

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Michael Ray Richards says "Jews are crafty" and gets immediately fired.

Imus talks of "nappy headed hos" and gets a suspension.

I don't know if you could make a case for that across the board. Fuckin nothing happened to Mel Gibson aside from bad press after his anti-semetic tirade. Enough people worked on and sponsored/supported his next piece of trash Apocalyptico with zero backlash.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    April 11, 2007??? In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."
    Though every major presidential candidate has decried the racist remarks, Obama is the first one to say Imus should lose his job for them.

• KVH + rootlesscosmo = kosher[/b] e-beef

And in Jesse Jackson's defense, that comment was taken out of context. I know he said "Hymie Town," but he was reading from a speech on which it was clearly typed out as "Jaime Town." It was in honor of Puerto Rican Day.

Okay, not really.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just got this sent via email from a black co-worker.....

I had no clue who this Whitlock guy was so I did a search....

Apparently he had some ESPN and radio gigs....

His words do not represent me or my opinions, just thought the Strut would have a field day reading his views....

Thank you, Don Imus. You've given us (black people) an excuse to avoid
    our real problem.
    You've given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to
    pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight,
    is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and
    social equality.
    You've given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally
    televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference
    to respond to your poor attempt at humor.
    Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we
    can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it's 1965 and delude
    ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than
    eradicating our self-hatred.
    The bigots win again.
    While we're fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock
    jock, I'm sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers
    basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50
    Cent's or Snoop Dogg's or Young Jeezy's latest ode glorifying
    nappy-headed pimps and hos.
    I ain't saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don't have
    the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk
    killas.
    It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed
    our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted,
    corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and
    behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education,
    demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and
    wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the
    mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It's embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make
    racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was
    hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white
    and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I'm no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted
    me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn't do anything outside the norm for shock jocks
    and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should've been the end
    of this whole affair. Instead, it's only the beginning. It's an
    opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim
    platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on
    Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied
    fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show
    host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as
    her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing
    season her team had.

Somehow, we're supposed to believe that the comments of a man with
    virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers' wonderful
    season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports
    world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized,
    already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain
    intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no
    threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so
    destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do
    about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station
    in the country who use words much more powerful and much more
    destructive?

I don't listen or watch Imus' show regularly. Has he at any point
    glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black
    men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it's
    cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell
    his listeners that they're suckers for pursuing education and that
    they're selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I'll get upset. Until then, he
    is what he is - a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when
    you're not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta
    rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger
    platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad
    radio show. There's no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse
    and Al are going to sit it out.
    JASON WHITLOCK

• Wow, Rock. I was just about to post the Whitlock article. You beat me to the punch by 5 minutes.

I'm interested to see the response. Very interested.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I'm interested to see the response. Very interested.

Any article that takes shots at Mike Lupica is okay with me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    still not understanding how jesse and al are 'getting money' out of this.
    the people raking it in are msnbc, who are raking it in over this dudes show and are gonna rake even more in now that this noise is being made about it without it being cancelled.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ahp he's been fired

edit...or so i've been told? can't find an article....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ahp he's been fired

I love this:

"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees."

It took a couple of days to "review" the phrase "nappy-headed hoes". There's a lot to review there--three words, four syllables. Gotta have cultural consultants like Willie D weigh in. Can't rush these things.

What a bunch of jerks. I can always respect poor behavior a little more if it's accompanied by honesty. At least admit that what you were doing was gauging the reaction of the public and that of the other media outlets to determine whether he would be more of an asset or a liability going forward.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'lol' @ shitstorm of criticism that always gets turned around on jesse, al and rap music whenever somebody white does something racist and the media pays attention

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    well, okay, he's been dropped. it's official.

...for saying nappy headed hoes. i say that's way more sexist than racist or can only black women be refered to as hoes? i swear i've heard much worse over the years in the music i listen to and pretty sure they play regularly on your favorite crap radio station. i'm not saying he's not a jackass for his stupid choice of words, but damn.

so as a white person i am racist if i say "nappy heads?" what about ashy knees? what about ghostface killa? what does that imply? is that racist? what about eddie murphy singing "kill de white people" on SNL in the 70's, is that racist? or is it justified racism because of the plight of the black american? what if eminem said it on a multiplatinum album? would it be racist then? what if the stone sand about brown sugar, or ram jam singing about black betty?

whatever. i mean dude seems like a jackass in the first place and should get slapped for saying such a stupid thing to the public. however, i'm gonna turn on mind of mencea tonight and maybe watch some dave chappelle and feel like a real fuckin hypocrite for being offended for black folks because some old white man said something that was taken as racist when all these dudes do is make millions of dollars off of racist humor. and they attack everyone!

if he can't say it, you can't say it either. so, throw away all your records that have any anti-race sentiment whether its against blacks, or whites or fuckin paisley assed monkey's because its racist no matter who says it about who. thats me though.

'lol' @ shitstorm of criticism that always gets turned around on jesse, al and rap music whenever somebody white does something racist and the media pays attention

The Whitlock piece was just a tired retread of one of Guzzo's favorite rhetorical techniques: "You think that's bad--what about this!?"

This ain't that. And that's really all that needs to be said.

But LOL @ the chinstrokers posting foolishness about how they are "Very interested to see what SoulStrut makes of this. Very interested." If you have something to say, say it--otherwise, quit needlessly upping your postcount.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Seriously.
    That shit is beyond played out.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Have to admit that I thought MSNBC and the sponsors would have waited to see what the Rutgers meeting revealed. Well, CBS radio is on the clock now.

But LOL @ the chinstrokers posting foolishness about how they are "Very interested to see what SoulStrut makes of this. Very interested." If you have something to say, say it--otherwise, quit needlessly upping your postcount.

Mr. 13,553

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    quit needlessly upping your postcount.

now THAT is rich...

quit needlessly upping your postcount.

now THAT is rich...

He's afraid I'm gonna catch him.......

But LOL @ the chinstrokers posting foolishness about how they are "Very interested to see what SoulStrut makes of this. Very interested." If you have something to say, say it--otherwise, quit needlessly upping your postcount[/b].

Mr. 13,553

Reading is fundamental: I have never needlessly pushed up my postcount--you little dudes need the civilizing influence of my contributions.

• Reading is fundamental: I have never needlessly pushed up my postcount--you little dudes need the civilizing influence of my contributions.

^^^^^^ Example of needless post.

But LOL @ the chinstrokers posting foolishness about how they are "Very interested to see what SoulStrut makes of this. Very interested." If you have something to say, say it--otherwise, quit needlessly upping your postcount[/b].

Mr. 13,553

Reading is fundamental: I have never needlessly pushed up my postcount--you little dudes need the civilizing influence of my contributions.

I just counted.......9,854 of your posts were simply to egg on Harvey.

But you have to admit.......those other 3,700 were pretty needless.

• But LOL @ the chinstrokers posting foolishness about how they are "Very interested to see what SoulStrut makes of this. Very interested." If you have something to say, say it--otherwise, quit needlessly upping your postcount.

Haha. Fuck you, faux. I'm right here. You know my handle.

I've long held Whitlock as a douche. He's the black sportswriter equivalent of a Don Imus type in all truth. He lives to write inflammatory shit.

I'll be honest though, my first reading of this piece was like "Yeah, he's onto something." When a black writer writes something like that it has a sort of "Instant Gratification White Guilt Reliever" effect. "Yeah. It's not me. It's their problem." But that's not right or correct. The values presented and embraced en masse in the bulk of popular and current black music are troubling, but just a small part of the problems facing African-Americans today, and there are other factors at play that have contributed to that situation.

That was probably a stupid thing to append to my post (the interested. very interested thing). I'm impulsive. A lot of "gangster rap" gets discussed around these parts though, so it's not as completely mystifying you would present it.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I know words are wrong and hurtful...but here in town a few days a go, a white dude was on trial for murdering a black man, chopping him up and putting the pieces in junkyard cars and crushing the cars...he struck a plea bargin and only got 15 YEARS..only 15 fucking years for that...that is some racist sinister shit...fuck worrying about some dipshit's words, it is this kind of racism that is fucking the world up...

I read he got 15 years because he cut a deal with with our corrupt justice system before the trial in exchange for locating the body.....and that the victim's family was on board with that plea??? Incorrect???

From the footage of the family damn near destroying the court building after the sentence was read, I dont think they were on board with the plea. I think some promises were made that were straight up lies...regardless, even putting that offer on the table is fucking wrong...I dont think if the killer was black and the victim white, that offer would even been brought to the table...

Haha. Fuck you, faux. I'm right here. You know my handle.

Haha... just messing with you, man.

I've long held Whitlock as a douche. He's the black sportswriter equivalent of a Don Imus type in all truth. He lives to write inflammatory shit.

I'll be honest though, my first reading of this piece was like "Yeah, he's onto something." When a black writer writes something like that it has a sort of "Instant Gratification White Guilt Reliever" effect. "Yeah. It's not me. It's their problem." But that's not right or correct.

Whitlock is is swift becoming the Clarence Thomas or John McWhorter of sports journalists.

I know words are wrong and hurtful...but here in town a few days a go, a white dude was on trial for murdering a black man, chopping him up and putting the pieces in junkyard cars and crushing the cars...he struck a plea bargin and only got 15 YEARS..only 15 fucking years for that...that is some racist sinister shit...fuck worrying about some dipshit's words, it is this kind of racism that is fucking the world up...

I read he got 15 years because he cut a deal with with our corrupt justice system before the trial in exchange for locating the body.....and that the victim's family was on board with that plea??? Incorrect???

From the footage of the family damn near destroying the court building after the sentence was read, I dont think they were on board with the plea. I think some promises were made that were straight up lies...regardless, even putting that offer on the table is fucking wrong...I dont think if the killer was black and the victim white, that offer would even been brought to the table...

I know the body was never found so I don't understand how the plea bargain stood.

And wasn't the victim in law enforcement??? Or possibly a city code officer.

Outcome definitely sucked....regardless of race.

• I'm glad you took my epithet in the spirit in which it was intended. I had post-post concerns.

The comments on the newspaper site accompanying the article are an interesting mixed bag. The best one is a dude who calls out Whitlock for downing brews and grooving to hiphop tunes at local sporting arenas.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I know the body was never found so I don't understand how the plea bargain stood.

And wasn't the victim in law enforcement??? Or possibly a city code officer.

Outcome definitely sucked....regardless of race.

Well, he confessed he dismembered the body and put the parts in a number of different junk cars that were compacted...

yeah, he was a code enforcement officer

yeah, really sucks...it should be the lead off story all over the country instead of this worthless cadaver Imus' ignorant bullshit

downing brews and grooving to hiphop tunes

You sound really white.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    what imus said doesnt even come close to the shit they say every morning on hot 97 about white people.

what imus said doesnt even come close to the shit they say every morning on hot 97 about white people.

Yes, the content of the Hot 97 morning show upsets me no end in light of the centuries of slavery, followed by decades more of legalized oppression and ongoing structural disenfranchisement that white people in this country have endured at the hands of Black people.

• By the way, Deej's lengthy post earlier was from today's Slate.com, and they were all racist things that Imus has said.

Deej- throw a link, or cite a source, or at LEAST say that Imus said that shit.