IMUS=ANUS-WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Comments

• downing brews and grooving to hiphop tunes

You sound really white.

Rare slippage. Won't happen again. We're gonna work to get that cleaned up.

• And I think the comment actually referred to J-Dub snapping his fingers.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    By the way, Deej's lengthy post earlier was from today's Slate.com, and they were all racist things that Imus has said.

Deej- throw a link, or cite a source, or at LEAST say that Imus said that shit.
    i bit it off some other message board that didnt cite it or i would have

i assumed everyone would know it was imus!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    what imus said doesnt even come close to the shit they say every morning on hot 97 about white people.

Yes, the content of the Hot 97 morning show upsets me no end in light of the centuries of slavery, followed by decades more of legalized oppression and ongoing structural disenfranchisement that white people in this country have endured at the hands of Black people.

Is there a projection for what year we can begin respecting ALL people and not insult folks baced on race, color or creed??

Just want to mark it on my calendar.

• what imus said doesnt even come close to the shit they say every morning on hot 97 about white people.

Yes, the content of the Hot 97 morning show upsets me no end in light of the centuries of slavery, followed by decades more of legalized oppression and ongoing structural disenfranchisement that white people in this country have endured at the hands of Black people.

Were all of these black people perpretrators of or accomplices in the disenfranchisement of whites?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Several of the Rutgers women offended by Imus have said that the worst part about it is the constant reminder from reporters, friends, family, and other supporters. These women can't get on with their lives because no one will let them. I'm sure that the whole team wishes that they could move past this shit and focus on other issues, you know, like school.

Imus's actions were uncalled for, granted, but what makes me feel really sick is the load of hypocritical bullshit thrown atop this issue. Look - Imus is a professional asshole. That's what he's paid to be, ostensibly because millions of people like to listen to grouches and gossips. When he was talking about the Rutgers women, I noticed a mocking tone of "grandpa-does-hoodspeak" - an imitation that, frankly, just came off as really weak and ignorant more than anything else - on par with Bill Cosby with his "hippin' and a-hoppin'" shtick. Then comes all this "I'm shocked-shocked" speel as a media selling point. Jon Stewart hit the nail on the head with his topical joke, and Jason Whitlock had some salient points regarding it as well. Added hypocracy is slathered on when white folks loudly condemn assholes like Imus in the service of looking good for those listening to them talk.

The media is quickly finding out that racial issues, when properly stoked, sell papers just as much as sex and violence. This race-baiting is honestly worse than what Imus did - because it's purposefully distorting minor issues without regard for the major ones; It's crying wolf. Meanwhile, black men are murdered and dismembered by white men and are sentenced to the light of day in 15 years. I'm down with Imus boycotts, because this is America; folks here should have the power to make a stand against ignorant, reductive speech that reaches the masses. And if Imus gets the boot, then so be it. No tears here. But the hunger strikes and 24-hour vigils outside of CBS and NBC corporate HQs only add to the circus, prolonging the issue, and serve to steal time from the personal lives of the Rutgers women.
    Where are the protesters in defense of Mickey Wright?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i hate it when people call me a cracker or white boy. mostly because im ALSO mexican, native american indian, italian, blah blah blah.

...i guess i cant make a big deal of it though. too bad... i wish i could get apologies from all the black, mexican, and asian folks who yelled racial slurs at me over my lifetime.

"hey white boy what the fuck you know about black music?"

"why dont you date your own women white boy?"

"what the fuck you doing in our neighborhood cracker?" (my reply: "i grew up down the street dude... your grandmother is my godmother. ill be sure to let her know you said Hi when i stop by later with my mom!")

etc etc etc

then again, being white and mexican, im in a constant battle in using racial slurs against myself. its been a problem for a long time... hurting your own feelings with racist lingo is definitely not a good look. i tell my race therapist about this ALL THE TIME!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    race therapist

I would not be all that surprised if such a person actually existed.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

This dude is starting to annoy me.

• Rapper Snoop Dogg has dismissed comparisons between sexist hip-hop lyrics and the recent racist remarks made by radio DJ Don Imus. Imus was suspended by CBS Radio and MSNBC on Monday after he referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team as 'nappy-headed hos'--a racially charged sexist term.

Snoop frequently refers to women as "b**ches" and "hos" in his music, but he insists Imus' use of the term was unacceptable and the 66-year-old DJ should be taken off the air.

The Doggystyle star says, "It's a completely different scenario. (Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing s**t, that's trying to get a n**ga for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them muthaf**kas say we are in the same league as him.

"Kick him off the air forever."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Snoop_Dogg_Rappers_Hos_Are_Different/3679198

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

The Doggystyle star says, "It's a completely different scenario. (Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing s**t, that's trying to get a n**ga for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them muthaf**kas say we are in the same league as him.

coincidentally, i was listening to 1210 (right wing radio station in philly) while waiting to pick someone up at the airport tonight and the host started drawing the identical comparison with snoop and imus. i had nothing better to do, so i called in to slam the dude and actually got on the air.

my air time lasted about 3-4 minutes, and among a whole list of points, i basically made the identical argument that snoop makes in that article.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    what imus said doesnt even come close to the shit they say every morning on hot 97 about white people.

Your radio stations sound a lot more interesting than ours.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Yesterday, I was playing online dominoes against a guy whose id was jewbabaloo. I typed in shalom thinking it was a fellow hebrew. He responded back, fuck you n***** and proceeded to call me every name in the book. Rather, than be offended I decided to pull a chappelle on him. I started typing in "white power" over and over. I helped finish all of his wacky "jews are ruining the world tirades" with appropriate references to the elders of zion, etc. Dude got so fed up he left. I played him again tonight and as soon as I saw his ID come up I started typing "white power". He got so annoyed that he quit immediately. I wish that the Rutgers girls had taken this approach. It would have shamed Imus even more and stopped all this pious corporate hand wringing.

• The Doggystyle star says, "It's a completely different scenario. (Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing s**t, that's trying to get a n**ga for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them muthaf**kas say we are in the same league as him.

coincidentally, i was listening to 1210 (right wing radio station in philly) while waiting to pick someone up at the airport tonight and the host started drawing the identical comparison with snoop and imus. i had nothing better to do, so i called in to slam the dude and actually got on the air.

my air time lasted about 3-4 minutes, and among a whole list of points, i basically made the identical argument that snoop makes in that article.

If you find you have the exact same opinion as snoop dogg on a subject it's a good indicator that you need to think again. What he offered was the feeblest justification of mysoginist sentiment youre likely to hear.

Anyway back to what I came to set straight.

1. this story has only got as much attention as it has because it allows white people to express their righteous condemnation. The white guilt is so powerful amongst those in the media that they must excitedly seize on every opportnity to broadcast loudly that they arent racist.

2. It was a tragedy rush limbaugh was fired for that comment. One might say POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD! everyone knows media types are prone to up the propage with regards to ethnic minorities. Limbaugh's comment was in reference to the self conscious condescension of WHITES and yet because race is one of these issues where critical thought shuts downh he gets canned. Pure bullshit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

2. everyone knows media types are prone to up the propage with regards to ethnic minorities.

I totally agree with you one this one. I am so sick of people saying Marvin Gaye is the smoothest singer of all time. Everybody knows Bing Crosby is the quiet storm master. Fucking liberals.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Seems like a lot of people are getting really mad at rap music these days.

...Hopefully this is a good sign. Rap hasnt pissed enough people off in years. People got so comfortable with it that the only thing left to rap about was fucking champagne. Its nice that right wing talk show hosts are offended, but id rather see them scared.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Snoop? Ice Cube would be a better fit no?

"Givin' Up the Nappy Dug Out"

But I guess Cube is no longer a rapper and is a movie star now. So rap can't be blamed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

If you find you have the exact same opinion as snoop dogg on a subject it's a good indicator that you need to think again. What he offered was the feeblest justification of mysoginist sentiment youre likely to hear.

dolo ... is right??? yes. But

1. this story has only got as much attention as it has because it allows white people to express their righteous condemnation. The white guilt is so powerful amongst those in the media that they must excitedly seize on every opportnity to broadcast loudly that they arent racist.

Actually, it only got attention because groups like rainbow/push have been protesting outside of nbc headquarters. most white ppl i've talked to are in the 'he sucks but, you know, slip of the tongue!' camp. good guess though. But I suppose the news media covering black ppl protesting = 'left wing bias' right?

2. It was a tragedy rush limbaugh was fired for that comment. One might say POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD! everyone knows media types are prone to up the propage with regards to ethnic minorities. Limbaugh's comment was in reference to the self conscious condescension of WHITES and yet because race is one of these issues where critical thought shuts downh he gets canned. Pure bullshit.

natural rhythm you say?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

dolo ... is right??? yes. But

get serious. first, i didnt call up to defend snoop, just to point out that the comparison is a) irrelevant, and b) weak. second, the argument i made, that i thought was similar to snoop, i mistakingly cut off from the above quotation. snoop said:

"It's a completely different scenario. (Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing s**t, that's trying to get a n**ga for his money. These are two separate things.

Bringing snoop into the discussion is irrelevant for two reasons. 1) Imus didnt get fired for being a misogynist, but because what he said was a racial slur; and 2) Snoop calling a groupie or a slut a ho in his rap fantasy world, is a world of difference from a guy who hosts political candidates on a morning talk show singling out a specific group of college athletes as "nappy hoes", presumably, just because they are black athletes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So, do you care to elaborate on which of the "identical arguments" you made on air?

"But Snoop is talking about actual hoes that's in the hood!"

"But when Snoop calls women hoes it comes from his soul!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

2. It was a tragedy[/b] rush limbaugh was fired for that comment.

Did you mean "travesty"?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    So let me get this straight.....

It's alright to call a Ho a Ho

But you can't call an educated athlete a Ho because obviously they have pulled themselves up above the level of your typical street level Ho.

Amazing.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    maybe these hos in the hood that snoop keeps talking about should try and sue the record labels because they let their artists call them hos and bitches and tricks. cause really, everyone knows that only their pimps and baby daddys are allowed to call them a ho. foshizzle...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Out of curiosity, have you ever been a victim of racism? You seem to have quite a strong opinion about this.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    downing brews and grooving to hiphop tunes

You sound really white.

Hath thou never grooved whilst downing brews?

Judge not, lest ye be deemed white.

Let he who is not melanin-deficient cast the first stone.

Is there a projection for what year[/b] we can begin respecting ALL people and not insult folks baced on race, color or creed??

Just want to mark it on my calendar.[/b]

A calendar of years?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Is there a projection for what year[/b] we can begin respecting ALL people and not insult folks baced on race, color or creed??

Just want to mark it on my calendar.[/b]

A calendar of years?
    haha i love these zings, where you know there's something just utterly wrong about the meaning behind it but instead of going for the jugular you just sort of stab them in the arm and pick at some semantic inconsistency

And, lest I clown excessively without adding anything of value, I think it's pretty simple. In day-to-day life, treat others as you would like to be treated regardless of who they are. But if someone is getting screwed or mistreated due to their identity, past denigration of that identity must be taken into account in rectifying the situation.

That does not, however, extend to personality. As in, if you're being a dickhead, I don't care if you're Asian, or gay, or one-legged. Quit being such a dickhead.

Imus should be fired. The hosts on Hot 97? See above. It's a little more complicated.

People are people.

haha i love these zings, where you know there's something just utterly wrong about the meaning behind it but instead of going for the jugular you just sort of stab them in the arm and pick at some semantic inconsistency

Hey, I love the forest as much as the next guy, but the trees are pretty nice individually as well.