IMUS=ANUS-WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Comments

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    They need to ignore Imus and go after his sponsors, take him down from the foundation.

Who fucking pays any attention to what that cadaver has to say anyway? The media whores are lending him all the credibility in the world, and he acts as though his job is somehow God-given and protected by the constitution. He would just clean up when some other network saw $$$. It is the mystery of WHY he is so highly regarded in broadcasting that fascinates me. He is terrible at what he does and completely unintelligible. I am surprised anyone could understand his racist gaffe to begin with.

The entire industry is built upon paying douches like Imus to be as offensive and "shocking" as possible. He's been on the air as long as he has because there's an audience for his tripe. If anything, it's insanely hypocritical for CBS/MSNBC to come out as being offended as a company -- Imus should've just rode his bigot ass onto XM or something instead of this pathetic apology media circus.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Evidence of the media out of it's fucking mind:

actual headlines right this minute on CNN.com:

"Black women who use 'ho' say Imus can't"[/b]

File under: white people ass-hurt that they can't refer to Black women as "hoes"

"Sure, I make 200K a year, but such material things are meaningless if I am denied the right to refer to my cleaning lady as a 'ho'..."

• Please refer to the text "You'se a Ho" by the scholar Chris Bridges for further guidance.

There are also those who suggest that one must let a ho be a ho.

Hey Kala...weren't you the original METAL MANIAC[/b] of
    "post a pic of your girl" thread fame?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    As far as Obama, I gotta say i understand him hanging back on this, what Imus said was offensive, but Obama needs a lot of white votes to win, and from a strictly pragmatic standpoint, I think its in his best interest to focus on issues that affect all Americans. Unfortunately, if he comes off as simply being in Sharpton or Jesse's camp, he's going to alienate a lot of people. I'm not sold on him, but he has engaged in some real talk, and getting made at a politician for playing it safe at this point is like getting mad at 50 for being 'pop' or the ocean for being 'wet'.

Speaking of 50, as a member of the tribe, I was initially a little offended by "jjjjew-unit", but on second thought it seemed like an impulsive response due to PC cultural conditioning. Honestly, he speaks the truth, anyone disagree?

• "Sure, I make 200K a year, but such material things are meaningless if I am denied the right to refer to my cleaning lay[/b] as a 'ho'..."

I have never seen the strawman game played so desperately.

(Not to mention Freudian typo-slippishly).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Michael Ray Richards says "Jews are crafty" and gets immediately fired.

Imus talks of "nappy headed hos" and gets a suspension.

Jews are just craftier that's all.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    For some reason, I keep thinking of the end of the "anti-Dentite" episode of Seinfeld.

"Dentists--who needs 'em? Not to mention the Blacks and the Jews."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    None of this "healing" bullschitt. And there is certainly no reason to subject these young women to his presence.

co-sign. this is just optics and will change nothing. as if he will suddenly see the light or the insult will cut a little less after handshakes (shudder) and forced smiles.

doesn't something like this happen at least once a year? a public figure makes a racist remark, everyone condemns it verbally, but takes no real action and then it's business as usual?

In fact, most cats who have been caught out on this kind of thing have been zapped with a quickness, dating back to the infamous Jimmy the Greek, "Blacks were bred to be athletes" comments in the early 80s. Last year Steve Lyons was fired for making racist comments about latin baseball players, Rush Limbaugh was immediately fired from Monday Night Football for suggesting that black QB Donovan McNabb was overrated because he is black and Al Campanis lost his job as general manager of the LA Dodgers when he questioned whether minorities were skilled enough to manage sports teams. The only reason Imus is still even thinking of getting back in that chair and NBC et al haven't plugged the plug is that they stand to lose a helluva lot of money. This dude makes them major bank. Right now I think it's 50-50 whether he makes it back. A lot depends on the Rutgers women and their upcoming meeting with Don I'm an ass.

In an interesting twist. Both Dusty Baker and Michael Irvin (who are both black) have recently made comments about black players (or in Irvin's case, white players who might really be black) that if uttered by a white person would have caused immediate dismissal. In their case neither was reprimanded in any fashion.

If you didn't catch Irvin comments the are transcripted below. Pretty crazy stuff.

Irvin mentions that Tony Romo outplayed Peyton Manning Sunday, and then says, [there must be] some brothers in that line somewhere (laughs to himself) somewhere there are some brothers I dont know who saw what, where . [maybe] his great, great, great, great Grandma ran over in the hood or something went down (laughter)

Dan Patrick, sensing disaster, jumps in and says, thats the only way to be a great athlete?

Irvin comes back with, No, thats not the only way but its certainly one way [maybe his] great, great, great, great Grandma pulled one of them studs up outta the barn [and said] come here for a second back in the day (more sinister laughter).

Dusty's comments are here:

Personally, I like to play in the heat, you know? It's easier for me. I mean, it's easier for most black guys; it's easier for most minority people. Most of us come from heat, you know. You don't find too many brothers out there in Maine and the upper peninsula of Michigan, right? I mean, you know, we were brought over here for the heat, right? I mean, isn't that history? Weren't we brought over here because we could take the heat?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I mean, isn't that history? Weren't we brought over here because we could take the heat?

Good Lord.

"Isn't that history?"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    This ish is sad. Here you have a group of women who are going to school, getting an education, and are high performing student athletes, and they get no respect. That's bullschitt.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Rush Limbaugh was immediately fired from Monday Night Football for suggesting that black QB Donovan McNabb was overrated because he is black

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't it he said something along the lines of the media have over rated McNabb because he was black? Not that it makes it any different.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

doesn't something like this happen at least once a year? a public figure makes a racist remark, everyone condemns it verbally, but takes no real action and then it's business as usual?

In fact, most cats who have been caught out on this kind of thing have been zapped with a quickness, dating back to the infamous Jimmy the Greek, "Blacks were bred to be athletes" comments in the early 80s. Last year Steve Lyons was fired for making racist comments about latin baseball players, Rush Limbaugh was immediately fired from Monday Night Football for suggesting that black QB Donovan McNabb was overrated because he is black and Al Campanis lost his job as general manager of the LA Dodgers when he questioned whether minorities were skilled enough to manage sports teams. The only reason Imus is still even thinking of getting back in that chair and NBC et al haven't plugged the plug is that they stand to lose a helluva lot of money. This dude makes them major bank.[/b] Right now I think it's 50-50 whether he makes it back. A lot depends on the Rutgers women and their upcoming meeting with Don I'm an ass.

would it be fair to say the potential loss of revenue is why all those folks did get fired?

there may be moral outrage, etc., but the bottom line will really decide the course of action?

sorry to drag this up, but if Michael Richards was still on Seinfeld when he had his meltdown - would he have been fired off the show? (i'm not really sure either way)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Rush Limbaugh was immediately fired from Monday Night Football for suggesting that black QB Donovan McNabb was overrated because he is black

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't it he said something along the lines of the media have over rated McNabb because he was black? Not that it makes it any different.

Yes

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yeah--he said the media gives McNabb a pass because it wants to see a Black QB succeed.

And then he shopped for a doctor who would prescribe him hillbilly heroin.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I know words are wrong and hurtful...but here in town a few days a go, a white dude was on trial for murdering a black man, chopping him up and putting the pieces in junkyard cars and crushing the cars...he struck a plea bargin and only got 15 YEARS..only 15 fucking years for that...that is some racist sinister shit...fuck worrying about some dipshit's words, it is this kind of racism that is fucking the world up...

I read he got 15 years because he cut a deal with with our corrupt justice system before the trial in exchange for locating the body.....and that the victim's family was on board with that plea??? Incorrect???

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

In fact, most cats who have been caught out on this kind of thing have been zapped with a quickness, dating back to the infamous Jimmy the Greek, "Blacks were bred to be athletes" comments in the early 80s. Last year Steve Lyons was fired for making racist comments about latin baseball players, Rush Limbaugh was immediately fired from Monday Night Football for suggesting that black QB Donovan McNabb was overrated because he is black and Al Campanis lost his job as general manager of the LA Dodgers when he questioned whether minorities were skilled enough to manage sports teams. The only reason Imus is still even thinking of getting back in that chair and NBC et al haven't plugged the plug is that they stand to lose a helluva lot of money. This dude makes them major bank.[/b] Right now I think it's 50-50 whether he makes it back. A lot depends on the Rutgers women and their upcoming meeting with Don I'm an ass.

would it be fair to say the potential loss of revenue is why all those folks did get fired?

there may be moral outrage, etc., but the bottom line will really decide the course of action?

sorry to drag this up, but if Michael Richards was still on Seinfeld when he had his meltdown - would he have been fired off the show? (i'm not really sure either way)

In a sense that is why they were all fired. But Imus is different in the sense that he is the product and cannot be replaced as all of those other guys were. Much more of a pickle for the networks to make this call.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i was looking for the video of imus' appearance on al sharpton's radio show and discovered this gem.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i was looking for the video of imus' appearance on al sharpton's radio show and discovered this gem.

throwin 'nid-bits' killa

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Not to switch topics, but Obama really needs to grow some balls before he gets my vote. First, he had to wait on John Edwards' decision to skip the Fox News sponsored primary debates before he did the same, now he won't even commit to boycotting Imus' show.

"Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) called the comments "divisive, hurtful and offensive to Americans of all backgrounds," but it was unclear whether he would appear on the show again if asked."

"it was unclear whether he would appear on the show again if asked" is your basis for him being weaksauce? That just means they didn't get an answer. Of fucking course he wouldn't go on that show if asked. Even fucking Cal Ripkin Jr. canceled his appearance. No brainer.

The thing that is most disgusting about this whole event to me is the number of prominent 'leftist' whites who've come out defending the dude because - of course - he's a fucking moneymaker. The head of, i think it was randomhouse? publishing, because dude has authors on his show. Rosie O'Donnell, because of her 'ching chong ching' incident. James fucking Carville! Slimeballs. I hear people defending Imus saying sharpton and jesse jackson are 'opportunists' for opposing this and I am fucking dumbfounded - do you guys not realize where the money is coming? The reason dude isn't fired is because he's one of MSNBC's biggest draws, one of their few chances of overtaking rivals. His 'suspension' ends - you guessed it - right before SWEEPS WEEK and the more they stir up this 'controversy' the higher his ratings are going to be when he returns.

this dude needs to be dropped fast, the companies sponsoring him need to know they're being associated with a racist shitbag.

In other news, here are some political cartoons from people who think all black people = misogynist rappers.

• Those dumb-ass cartoonists.

There's no apostrophe in "hos"/"hoes".

Not to switch topics, but Obama really needs to grow some balls before he gets my vote. First, he had to wait on John Edwards' decision to skip the Fox News sponsored primary debates before he did the same, now he won't even commit to boycotting Imus' show.

"Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) called the comments "divisive, hurtful and offensive to Americans of all backgrounds," but it was unclear whether he would appear on the show again if asked."

"it was unclear whether he would appear on the show again if asked" is your basis for him being weaksauce?

yes. when is obama gonna take a stand? sharpton called him out on this a month ago when he said something along the lines of "you can be colored but not be for us" and asked that obama state whether he is gonna take a strong stance on civil rights and black issues...since nobody knows. before you group me in the "obama is not black enough" camp, let me just clarify that my beef with him is with regards to all democratic issues (not just civil rights). he plays it too safe. imo, that is a cop-out and not something that gets me excited to see him in the white house.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

This is like the exact opposite of

In fact I think I'm dumber after watching it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    he plays it too safe. imo, that is a cop-out and not something that gets me excited to see him in the white house.

Too safe? I think Obama is being smart by playing it cool enough to get in the White House. You almost gotta trojan horse that mother. Crashing through the gates on hot-button issues could send votes he needs elsewhere.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The Obama campaign declined to comment yesterday on its handling of the issue. One adviser pointed out, however, that Obama issued a public comment before the other major Democratic candidates -- including Clinton and former senator John Edwards of North Carolina.

eff this double-standard for obama bullshit
    why is he the only one that has to respond to every bullshit media cycle obsession? Why isn't everyone mad at Hillary for not saying something sooner?

This is like the exact opposite of

In fact I think I'm dumber after watching it.

but i bet you will start taking better care of your teeth

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Also how tired is everyone of hearing about jackson's 'hymietown' comment every single fucking time some white dude says something racist?

i hope they bring up senator byrd next

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Also how tired is everyone of hearing about jackson's 'hymietown' comment

not me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Also how tired is everyone of hearing about jackson's 'hymietown' comment

not me.
    eh didnt intend that to minimize what he said by any means, i'm just annoyed by its use as a ostensible defense of other racism.

its not even comparable. everyone knows nyc is, in fact, the equivalent of hymietown...and more importantly, it wasnt said in a derogatory way. someone needs to find that clip of eddie murphy singing hymietown on snl.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    everyone knows nyc is, in fact, the equivalent of hymietown

wow