Grindhouse.....

thropethrope 750 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
haven't seen any discussion on here about it....anyone gonna check it out?i'm seeing it at a sneak preview thing tonight, not sure what to expect. reviewers i respect say QT's half is better, or at least, a better rendition of a grindhouse flick, while rodriguez has apparently just thrown together a gory 80s action movie... read a few reviews expecting people to actually walk out of QT's half, as the pacing drops off after the balls to the wall Planet Terror.....

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I'm probably gonna catch it next week sometime. Got a few free movie passes that I need to use.

Not sure what to expect but I'm pretty sure it'll be entertaining!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just came back from seeing this. All in all, it's pretty dope. While QT does have more dialogue, his ending is top notch. Loved the film trailers and even the missing reels were a nice touch.

Anyone else seen this one yet?

Over 3 hours... Kinda long. But for two flicks and the trailer bits, it alright.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Haven't seen this yet, but I have heard that on a couple of occasions, crowds started leaving in "droves" after the first flick ended.
    Was that on account of they ?
    Or perhaps they didn't realize there was another film after that??

• snoozefest.

frederico was dope, and so was that kiwi chick, and so was that scene where rosarios nipples get hard before your eyes, but other than that, it was ehh...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    just got back from this as well as blades of glory. so i was just at the theatres for a good 5+ hours.

anyways, grindhouse was highly entertaining. people who hate it are expecting something other then whats presented. its really well made bad movies.

i dont need some artsy fart bullshit on a friday night. see planet terror & deathproof for a goodtime but be prepared to be there for 3+ hours.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    We went to see it but the film broke before the movie even started. Had to get refunds. Then we had to get drunk. Guess it evened out.

• I thought it was great. I wanna watch it again. I think i might. Go see it, 3 hours of good cinema.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    See it in an old theatre like the kind you remember as a kid (in a balcony or a drive-in), Paul, and you will have fun. It was highly entertaining, Kurt Russel was great, any issues I have with Tarantino's stilted dialogue evaporated as soon as the car stunts get rolling....if you enjoy 70s drive-in fare, this is custom tailored to that vibe without being smarmy.

I have to say, though, I would imagine a lot of this experience must seem staright strange to anyone under 32 or so...I can't imagine they would see the point of a lot of it. But action speaks volumes, so hey, what do I know?

My verdict: Fun stuff, GO BABY GO!

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    i enjoyed it for what it was.
    some of 'death proof' got a little boring
    (in comparison to 'planet terror')
    but somehow made up for itself in the end.
    the middle trailers were great too.

i didnt want to see it at first,
    since im really not a huge tarantino fan as of late
    but id definitely recommend to someone who wanted
    something fun to watch.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This schitt looks like it would be painful to sit through: tributes to hack film-making by two hack directors.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This is some old school/spend the whole day in the movies steez, but I think ill wait for the DVD.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This schitt looks like it would be painful to sit through: tributes to hack film-making by two hack directors.

While I don't think Tarantino is a hack, if I wanted to see a bad 70s movie, I'll go watch Human Tornado. These movie(s) look awful (both ironically and not ironically).

While I don't think Tarantino is a hack, if I wanted to see a bad 70s movie, I'll go watch Human Tornado. These movie(s) look awful (both ironically and not ironically).

Yeah, that's basically the way I feel. I feel the same way about a lot of the anachronistic music thst certain people on here mess with. What's the point, when the real thing is available?

• Saw it last night, most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

I thought a lot more people on this board would be into it. It's a lot like digging and producing, taking the best parts of some shitty 70s movies and making them into one long coherent, stylish piece.

Best nod to the Mr. Microphone commercial ever.

Go see it with a bunch a friends, yell, boo, be loud, and applaud Udo Kier.

SONIC

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    it gets split up in two parts & released with a 2 month space in between in Europe, is this yay or nay ?

• it gets split up in two parts & released with a 2 month space in between in Europe, is this yay or nay ?

Boo! The whole point of the film (hence the title Grindhouse) is to pay tribute to the double feature AIP crap fests of the 70s.

SONIC

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm waiting until I can rent the DVD. I've been let down by hype too many times. As for this being an "authentic B-movie experience", I say if it gets the new generation of movie enthusiasts too young to remember, but not too young to genuinely enjoy the feel of Roger Corman, American International, etc. late night double features and such (myself included) and not in an ironic or kitschy way, then so be it. Quentin strikes me as a real cornball, especially when he gets to those signature dialogues of his. However, when I get my fill of the long, epic, artsy films with the same old commentary on political, racial and social issues, I just want to turn my mind off, look at the hot actresses and see shit get blown up.

Yeah, that's basically the way I feel. I feel the same way about a lot of the anachronistic music thst certain people on here mess with. What's the point, when the real thing is available?

I see your point, but until 'the real thing' is readily available on big screens (which may be the case in some of your towns, but certainly not in DC except on rare occasions) and revival houses are better able to stay in business, I for one am glad that someone has figured out how to have fun while making junk food movies about zombies/car chases within the studio system and available to the multiplexes. I would rather see this type of thing over just about any self-righteous 'indie' film or your 'Babel'-s or what not. While 'Vanishing Point' is vastly superior to 'Death Proof' and the OG 'Dawn of the Dead' is vastly superior to 'Planet Terror', neither is necessarily more entertaining. So like the occasional 'funk night' where people suspend their knowledge of what year it is to indulge their taste in old school this or that, I at least thank goodness that the people making stuff like this know their shit, and have the clout to get it made and marketed. I just hope that I can catch it at one of the few remaining drive-ins in this area sometime this summer, anachronistic as that may be.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i would advise not waiting until dvd to see this, if you plan on seeing it ever. don't think it would 'work' as well sitting in your living room watching the dvd.

i would advise not waiting until dvd to see this, if you plan on seeing it ever. don't think it would 'work' as well sitting in your living room watching the dvd.

You sure? Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 didnt have a big drop off in terms of entertainment when watched @ home.

Are you sayin the appeal is to re-inact the "grindhouse" double feature pre-ADD mindstate and stay in the theatre for the whole afternoon? Or does one have to see it on a BIG screen to really catch/enjoy the effects?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    http://movies.aol.com/news/articles/_a/steamy-love-triangle-on-grindhouse-set/20070403101309990001

Steamy Love Triangle on 'Grindhouse' Set
    AOL
    (April 3) -- As if 'Grindhouse' didn't already have enough sex and scandal, reports of a no-holds-barred on-set affair between star Rose McGowan and married co-director Robert Rodriguez are giving the movie even more heat.

According to reports in Page Six , Rodriguez, who has been married for 16 years and has five children, was involved in an affair with McGowan, the former fiance of Marilyn Manson that became "the worst-kept secret on the set." Even worse, Rodriguez's wife was on-set for the entire duration, as she served as co-producer on 'Grindhouse.'

"They were going off to his trailer, having meals together," Page Six's source says. "Rose thought some of the crew were treating her differently, and the attitude was, like, well what do you expect when you're [bleeping] the director?"

When Rodriguez's wife found out about the fling, "there was an eruption of emotions - an emotional volcano," a source said.

Rodriguez and his wife are currently separated, but claim the split is amicable.

i liked the movies, but that is just f*cked up if its true.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Saw it last night, most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

I thought a lot more people on this board would be into it. It's a lot like digging and producing, taking the best parts of some shitty 70s movies and making them into one long coherent, stylish piece.

Maybe it was the brownies, but I laughed during the first film until I was weak. The films seem like pure Soulstrut to me; they're the cinema equivalent of the very best funk revivalism. The Tarantino film did have some serious pacing issues with unbelievably self-indulgent dialogue.

• This schitt looks like it would be painful to sit through: tributes to hack film-making by two hack directors.

Can you do the members of the board a favor and make a list of things you don't know everything about? It's really, really, small, isn't it?

Can you do the members of the board a favor and make a list of things you don't know everything about? It's really, really, small, isn't it?

You sound ass-hurt, bobo.

In fairness, though, I am clearly not the audience for this movie.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I have come to love Faux Rillzors ( ). One of the highlights of the board these days is seeing people get all riled up from what he posts.

Anyway, there's no disguising what this movie is - mindless entertainment. Anyone going into it thinking otherwise will probably be disappointed.
    I might go see it, but I'll live if I don't.

I am clearly not the audience for this movie.

Who really is? 40+ year olds who remember this? QT/RR Dirk Riders? Film Geeks?Middle America?

What/who is the "target" audience for this?

Just Sayin/Askin?

I am clearly not the audience for this movie.

Who really is? 40+ year olds who remember this? QT/RR Dirk Riders? Film Geeks?Middle America?

What/who is the "target" audience for this?

Just Sayin/Askin?

People that confuse thoroughly unentertaining films for mindlessly entertaining ones.

Saw it last night, most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

Maybe it was the brownies, but I laughed during the first film until I was weak. The films seem like pure Soulstrut to me; they're the cinema equivalent of the very best funk revivalism. The Tarantino film did have some serious pacing issues with unbelievably self-indulgent dialogue.

I didn't think the pacing was as bad as some of the dialogue, and QT reminded me why I enjoyed Kill Bill and Jackie Brown so much- NO QT CAMEOs!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i liked the fake previews. "Don't" was funny. the movie itself was mindlessly entertaining. i would watch it (them) again. What make and model is Kurt Russell's car? Is it a dart? A charger?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Just got home from seing this (ehhh, what's $7.50 and a few hours to burn?). The first part was really fun. The trailers were hillarious (Nicholas Cage is Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu! "hahahahahahahahahhahahha...ahhhh hahhaahahhaha"!). The only redeeming thing about the Death Proof half was Rosario and the car chase scenes. If it was trying to be like the sexy, yet extremely boring and talky, The Hellcats, then it worked. I think I would have had more fun if it was a crowded theater. There were only maybe 10 people there. Still, it's better than the preachy, pretentious, high brow, introspective bullshit.

His car is a 1970 Dodge Challenger, which was supposed to be, as pointed out to us several times, like the one in Vanishing Point