Grindhouse.....

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    knowing Soulstrut there's probally a couple fan-boys praising it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Probally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I've never been compeled to leave a movie. Putit this way, my homeboy was asleep through most of the movie. Both directors totally nailed the "hey we're making a shitty-movie, intentionally" but in the process they just made a shitty fucking movie And honestly a lot of the gore was too much and man.....kind of damn offesnive.

I haven't read this thread but knowing Soulstrut there's probally a couple fan-boys praising it. Maybe if I grew up reading "fangoria" instead of the Source I would creamed my pants.

You sound like Faux_Rillz.

I liked this shit. It was fun, 'specially when everybody in the theater was reacting to the over-the-top violence. Plus Robert Rodriguez is not afraid to let the world know he's brown and proud. I can dig some "Mexploitation" when it's done by a Mexican. I also like how he includes Carlos Gallardo in every film he does. (Gallardo was El Mariachi in Rodriguez' first movie.)

Tarantino's part was rather drawn out, but it was cool seeing some kick-ass women in the roles he usually reserves for dudes. It didn't hurt that most of 'em were fine as fuck. I like how they look out for people who wouldn't normally get a huge role. I mean, who other than these guys would create a role allowing a rather unknown stuntwoman to play herself?!

And for the record, I never read Fangoria, only Rap Pages, The Source, Street Beat and my old babysitter's copies of Teen Angel.

Herm

shit but the credits listed Keith Mansfield and that name definitely sounds familiar. It's been sampled before too and I'm racking my brain trying to remember who did it.

Herm

YES!!! Thank you!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Can anyone tell me the name of the jazzy lounge track playing during the "featured presentation" clips before both films. I know the song and can't pull it out for the life of me.

SONIC

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I always thought that was just the 'feature presentation' theme... you think it pre-dates this??

I'm pretty sure it's a library track. I'm not up on my library shit but the credits listed Keith Mansfield and that name definitely sounds familiar. It's been sampled before too and I'm racking my brain trying to remember who did it.

Herm

It's Keith Mansfield's "Soul Thing", from the Pronit LP "The Keith Mansfield Orchestra", I think. Anybody want a copy?

• knowing Soulstrut there's probally a couple fan-boys praising it.

C'mon now, if this were a comic book movie he'd be talking about you.

It ain't gotta be all about "fanboys" and "creamed jeans" just because you ain't like something.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    And honestly a lot of the gore was too much and man.....kind of damn offesnive.

It ain't gotta be all about "fanboys" and "creamed jeans" just because you ain't like something.

You sound like a QT fanboy medicating his asshurtness.

And I like Sin City.

• knowing Soulstrut there's probally a couple fan-boys praising it.

The point remains. For the record I prefer "Planet Terror" but dug them both.

The point remains. For the record I prefer "Planet Terror" but dug them both.

"We expected to do $20 million," says Harvey Weinstein of the Weinstein Co., which released Grindhouse. "Obviously, there was resistance in some parts of the country."

That resistance may stem from what got the $53 million movie so much exposure in the first place. Studio executives and industry analysts say a few factors may have led to the disappointing opening:

???It's a double feature.Grindhouse is two movies in one: Rodriguez's zombie film Planet Terror and Tarantino's Death Proof. It also includes faux trailers, missing reels and scenes made to look spliced and worn. "You have to give them credit for trying something experimental," says 20th Century Fox's distribution executive Bert Livingston. "But that also carries some risk."

???It's long. At more than three hours, Grindhouse was going to test the patience of even diehard fans of the directors and genre. "Let's face it: Attention spans are a lot shorter," DreamWorks' Marvin Levy says. "Anything over 90 minutes, and people can start getting fidgety."

???It's a questionable genre. An homage to a beloved genre like the musical or Western is one thing. But grindhouse movies ??? whose plots often included women in prison, serial killers and karate brawls ??? were, for the most part, bad. "Ultimately, they're re-creating something known for niche audiences and for not being a hit at the box office," says Paul Dergarabedian of industry tracker Media By Numbers. "That can scare off a large portion of your audience."

Weinstein, though, is hardly folding the tent. The film played well on the coasts, he says, but weakly in the South and Midwest. He plans to develop new ad campaigns for those regions and send his stars and filmmakers there for more publicity.

And Weinstein says that because the movies will be released separately on DVD, "we need to change strategy and educate audiences that the Grindhouse experience will only be in theaters. It's too early to call the fate of this movie."

From USA TODAY.

• Yeah, it did not meet expectations $$ wise. It's a niche film. Clearly "Are We Done Yet" is what peeps need to be seeing.

Yeah, it did not meet expectations $$ wise. It's a niche film. Clearly "Are We Done Yet" is what peeps need to be seeing.

Are We Done Yet and Grindhouse are both remixes of older movies so dont think that Grindhouse is some high art stuff. Dont get it twisted.

• Yeah, it did not meet expectations $$ wise. It's a niche film. Clearly "Are We Done Yet" is what peeps need to be seeing.

Are We Done Yet and Grindhouse are both remixes of older movies so dont think that Grindhouse is some high art stuff. Dont get it twisted.

High art? Who said that? It's trash cinema. QT's shit is faux-high-minded but that's about it.

If you are down w/ the O'Shea Jackson franchises, more power to you Batmon. I was just pokin fun. Now who's hinder needs salve?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

And Weinstein says that because the movies will be released separately on DVD, "we need to change strategy and educate audiences that the Grindhouse experience will only be in theaters. It's too early to call the fate of this movie."[/i]

From USA TODAY.

I wonder what this means, will it be on two separately released dvds like Kill Bill or a special edition dvd with both discs,plus bonus discs?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Here in L.A., it coincides with the film noir double feature annual festival, starting later this week and continuing into next month, which is also going down in Manhattan.

Anyone else think that Quentin's next tribute is going to be Bollywood? It's bound to happen. Within 10 years, he's going to run out of cult/niche film genres to cover.

Yeah, it did not meet expectations $$ wise. It's a niche film. Clearly "Are We Done Yet" is what peeps need to be seeing.

High art? Who said that? It's trash cinema. QT's shit is faux-high-minded but that's about it.

If you are down w/ the O'Shea Jackson franchises, more power to you Batmon. I was just pokin fun. Now who's hinder needs salve?

Im not getting in line to see either of these joints. I must have misinterpreted the Are We There Yet remark as Cube's movie representing the dumber audience. Not asshurt at all.

And Weinstein says that because the movies will be released separately on DVD, "we need to change strategy and educate audiences that the Grindhouse experience will only be in theaters. It's too early to call the fate of this movie."[/i]

From USA TODAY.

I wonder what this means, will it be on two separately released dvds like Kill Bill or a special edition dvd with both discs,plus bonus discs?

I bet there'll be a shitload of extras, "missing reels," a making of doc (Rodriguez always shows how to save a lot of money on effects), more faux trailers. Fun!

Im not getting in line to see either of these joints. I must have misinterpreted the Are We There Yet remark as Cube's movie representing the dumber audience. Not asshurt at all.

The point could be made that both movies are kinda dumb and it depends on what flavor of dumb you like to eat.

Two of the three flicks that beat out Grindhouse are both family-oriented type films. That's where the big $$ is at anyway. Plus it was a holiday, family weekend. In fact, what made them premiere that shit on Easter.

And Batmon, you should go check this out...in the theater!! "Planet Terror" and the trailers are pure fun. Your milage may vary on the QT half but the set pieces in that are worth half the price of a ticket.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I finally watched that "Thanksgiving" trailer over the weekend ( ). Now that is a movie I would definitely see if it were real. But the question remains: Is anything else in the Grindhouse experience on the level of that fake trailer?

I finally watched that "Thanksgiving" trailer over the weekend ( ). Now that is a movie I would definitely see if it were real. But the question remains: Is anything else in the Grindhouse experience on the level of that fake trailer?

You didn't see the movie? Does that mean the fake trailers are available online?

I NEED TO SEE MACHETE AGAIN!!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    What's so ironic about the movie's financial failure is that the kind of films it emulates (Women in Prison, Zombies, Car Chases, etc.) were hugely successful in the 70s-80s - ESPECIALLY in the markets like the South where this one supposedly bombed.

The only thing that's changed is that now it's the majors who make exploitation movies (SAW, DAWN OF THE DEAD, THE FAST & THE FURIOUS), just with bigger budgets.

Also, did you know that Eli Roth, the director of Thanksgiving and Hostel, was in Death Proof? He was one of the dudes trying to get the first set of girls drunk so they could be invited to the lakehouse.

I've never seen his movies but I thought that was kinda cool.

Herm

What's so ironic about the movie's financial failure is that the kind of films it emulates (Women in Prison, Zombies, Car Chases, etc.) were hugely successful in the 70s-80s - ESPECIALLY in the markets like the South where this one supposedly bombed.

The only thing that's changed is that now it's the majors who make exploitation movies (SAW, DAWN OF THE DEAD, THE FAST & THE FURIOUS), just with bigger budgets.

Those movies in the past were counter-cultural. Hollywood doesnt rep that now.

• You didn't see the movie? Does that mean the fake trailers are available online?

Eli Roth put Thanksgiving up on his Myspace page. Dunno if "Machete" is up? Maybe on a Rodriguez site?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

You didn't see the movie? Does that mean the fake trailers are available online?

Well, Eli Roth posted that trailer on his MySpace page...somebody linked to it on here last week.

it depends on what flavor of dumb you like to eat.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Eli Roth put Thanksgiving up on his Myspace page. Dunno if "Machete" is up? Maybe on a Rodriguez site?

Yes they are all up on youtube but they're ripped from camcorder.
    There's another one thats just for the Canadian showings "hobo with a shotgun" thats up there as well.

• It's Keith Mansfield's "Soul Thing", from the Pronit LP "The Keith Mansfield Orchestra", I think. Anybody want a copy?

Nope - it's "Funky Fanfare" ... am I the only nerd who stuck around to read the credits just to find out what it was?

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

Part of Are We Done Yet's sales has to be to minors sneaking into Grindhouse (or 300) in the megaplexes.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    For a double feature that'll depend on word-of-mouth and fanboyism to keep it from dropping rapidly next weekend, Aqua Teen Hunger Force couldn't open at a worse time for Grindhouse.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I just saw it (Herm I got your text homay ). It was pretty much what I thought it would be. It was ok, I liked Death Proof more minus the meandering, needless dialog. Those car stunts were incredible.

They'll probably release each film separately on DVD then, of course, both on one "Deluxe Edition" to make money twice over.

Quintin Terrantino is one annoying motherfucker. I hate how he injects himself into every movie.
    The dialog and character of the sister in Death Proof was as well.