Grindhouse.....

123457»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    The laid back guitar theme for Death Proof was from, as I recently rediscovered, Ron Howard and Joy Harmon's debut role in the boring, vaguely psychedelic , "overgrown humans attacking" movie, Village Of The Giants.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Zach,

I agree that's what QT was going for but seriously, it was a strange and not very effective (let alone efficient) way of setting up their eventual deaths. The loss of characters we grow to like is hardly something that's new to storytelling. The more I think about "Death Proof" the more that whole narrative feels more and more "off." The rhythm of it, the dialogue, etc.

What I will say is that I was not prepared for the graphic-ness of their deaths, especially Butterfly's. It seemed sadistic of QT but I assume that's what he was going for. And maybe he had that whole long set-up to make us "feel" her gruesome death more. The problem is that the transition to the hospital then the next set-up scene felt disjointed. We barely had enough time to really soak things in and all the sudden, here's another four women? Took me a minute to realize it was four other women.

A bit late..

The first half of Death Proof might just be an homage to psycho.
    Think about it