Buy the Devin the Dude album or shut up

Comments

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts

People kinda slept hard on that Odd Squad 'Coughee Brothers' comp too.

I know I did....and someone made a thread on it and everything. Still coppable?

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i'm copping with out a doubt.i had to order his last two releases off amazon.com though.though their are posters up at newbury comics for the new joint, so i'm guessing they'll have copies, hopefully.

And i'd like to second what faux said that devin should blow the f- up cause he makes some of the most fun to listen to hip hop right now. i've turned many east coast hip hop faithfuls on to him through "doobie ashtray" and the song produced by dr. dre on "just trying to live". that leads to them enjoying the rest of his projects as a whole.dudes that dude.

peace,xavier

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You know what would be really great? If Amazon would specify which of the two listings for the album is the unedited version.

I mean, damn--why can't Rap-a-Lot get it together and not make it so difficult to support a quality artist?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I really would like to buy this. There really will be no vinyl? That's too bad...

I really would like to buy this. There really will be no vinyl? That's too bad...

That's the world we live in. Frankly, you dudes that insist on purchasing new rap albums on vinyl baffle me, as it hasn't been the intended format of the music for a long time and the pressings tend to be garbage.

If it came out after 1990 or so, I'll take a CD.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

That's the world we live in. Frankly, you dudes that insist on purchasing new rap albums on vinyl baffle me, as it hasn't been the intended format of the music for a long time and the pressings tend to be garbage.

I've got a lot of rap-a-lot wax of recent vintage, the hot club wax releases, and can't complain about the quality all that much. Certain regions just don't put out wax - the bay & texas seldom release full lp's nowadays. Even when rap-a-lot was going full force, putting out a new album almost every month in the early 90's, they gravitated away from vinyl & you seldom saw full length releases on wax. They never took to vinyl as a medium.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

I am not insisting, it is a matter of preference. Clear loud double vinyl would be my medium of first choice. That's all. No need to be baffled.

• Who among you is a real enough head (read: red enough neck) to catch the hilarity in this line from "Hope I Don't Get Sick-A-This":

I be tip-toein' through Texas/Even got bitches in Vidor.

• Who among you is a real enough head (read: red enough neck) to catch the hilarity in this line from "Hope I Don't Get Sick-A-This":

I am only cos djcoolhands relayed his record-buying experiences in Vidor to me.

Who among you is a real enough head (read: red enough neck) to catch the hilarity in this line from "Hope I Don't Get Sick-A-This":

Who among you has not yet purchased this album? Plaese to do so on your lunch hour/coffeebreak.

Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album. It is that good.

Now go buy it.

• Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album.

Chew your food, Sparky.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    buying this after work
    where does harveycanal stand?

buying this after work

Waiting to Pander to Carpetbaggeurs

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This album is very very good and has refreshed my tired ears. I am eagerly awaiting getting my copy of it as soon as I can find it (helpfully Amazon UK lists this album as coming out in two weeks time)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    buying this after work

Ain't heard it yet.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    SD follz, you should know M-Theory is carrying that shit. swing through.

• THIS WHAT IM SAYIN!

GO GET DAT!

• I'll pick it up after work today. Best Buy had it in their ad this week for 11.99.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I am eagerly awaiting getting my copy of it as soon as I can find it (helpfully Amazon UK lists this album as coming out in two weeks time)

To buy a Rap-A-Lot release in Europe, you have to slay a dragon and throw a 100-euro bill in the fires of mount doom. It's literally that hard.

• Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album. It is that good.

What did y'all think of To the Extreme? I thought it was a little uneven but the highs were good enough so that I regard it as a solid release.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    So i got this shit. but honestly, i dunno if its all that. what a job is dope though.

now go ahead and flame.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    So i got this shit. but honestly, i dunno if its all that. what a job is dope though.

I gotta agree with Bsides after my first listen and a half. "What A Job" is the standout for me so far and "Lil' Girl Gone Bad" is almost unlistenable after hearing the remix of it that ODub blogged about a couple of weeks ago. The rest of what I've heard is kind of nice lyrically, but pretty lackluster on the beats.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Some other decent tracks but as a whole it could have been much better.

"What a Job" is in heavy rotation.

HATTERS

Every track is flamez!

I'm really not understanding the gripes regarding production--I like pretty much every track individually, and beyond that, I like the way they all fit together, which is a very rare thing in a rap album these days.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    y'all are tripping.

going to cop the cd right now.

is RAL doing vinyl at all on this? give me a what a job / broccoli & cheese / cutcha up hot club 12" and i'm straight.

• I'm really not understanding the gripes regarding production--

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

I'm really not understanding the gripes regarding production--
    i haven't got the new joint yet but i can't imagine it sounding much different than the production on his other ones cause they all have a similar sound.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Well, if it's fair to compare it to Tryin' ta Live, I don't hear much on this album (on first listen) that made me sit up and take notice of how nice the production is, it's just there.

Perhaps this is one to grow on.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

A lot of my favorite albums end up being ones that I have to get used to for a while. I'll be interested to see what people think about this in a month or so. First reactions are one thing...

Well, if it's fair to compare it to Tryin' ta Live, I don't hear much on this album (on first listen) that made me sit up and take notice of how nice the production is, it's just there.

Really?

I think there's a lot of stuff on here that is production in the classic sense, rather than the hip-hop sense; that is, rather than somebody hooking up a beat, that somebody else than raps over, I think Devin has worked hard to find the perfect sonic environments for his rapping, his crooning, and his rap-crooning.

I think the elements of these tracks all come together really well, from the extended slice of smooth sax on--I think--"Useta Be," to the "I Need Love" update.