Buy the Devin the Dude album or shut up

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you know, i didnt really dig the album the first time i listened to it but it really grew on me. while the individual tracks stand on their own fine, its much better to listen to the album in its entirety

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    while the individual tracks stand on their own fine, its much better to listen to the album in its entirety

Amen. This fact in itself would be enough to celebrate the album. It's been on constant rotation and I'm not getting tired of it anytime soon. She Want That Money is absolutely killing me at the moment.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    production is top-notch, really great album from start to finish!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I liked it from the giddyup. Minimal and relaxed.
    It kinda sounds like Grown-Ass Man Rap.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    "just because"

seriously...this is why devin is in fact that dude.

it's like LL's "i need love" had a baby with the Wu skit about "feedin em and feedin em".

this album rules.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Nice save, Drew.

And since I never answered my own question earlier, Vidor, TX is a small but immensely racist town about 20 miles from where I grew up in Texas (which would place it roughly 70 miles from Houston). There is Klan activity there to this day, which is what makes Devin's claim of tip-toeing to his bitch in Vidor hilarious on so many levels.

So is Vidor comparable to Wimberley? I had the misfortune of being stuck there for an evening in the company of some extremely racist hick assholes. They went on and on about how the clan was still active there.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "just because"

seriously...this is why devin is in fact that dude.

it's like LL's "i need love" had a baby with the Wu skit about "feedin em and feedin em".

Romance ya with a box of chocolates/But watch out--cuz it's actually some balled-up hoss schitt!

Nice save, Drew.

And since I never answered my own question earlier, Vidor, TX is a small but immensely racist town about 20 miles from where I grew up in Texas (which would place it roughly 70 miles from Houston). There is Klan activity there to this day, which is what makes Devin's claim of tip-toeing to his bitch in Vidor hilarious on so many levels.

So is Vidor comparable to Wimberley? I had the misfortune of being stuck there for an evening in the company of some extremely racist hick assholes. They went on and on about how the clan was still active there.

Edit - never mind, we're talking opposite sides of Houston.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Nice save, Drew.

Wimberley is nooooooooooooooowhere near as bad as Vidor.

• Wimberley is nooooooooooooooowhere near as bad as Vidor.

I can verify this.

• Nice save, Drew.

Wimberly is like sleeping on a waterbed while Vidor is more like laying on a bed of nails. Vidor is next level fucked up. Theres some pockets of total bullshit in Central Texas but dude, most dopnt compare to East Texas. East Texas is total insanity. They take racism to whole nother levels.

I mean, they dont take it to nother levels, they keep it the same way it was in 1955.

O.K. Maybe a little less violent on a daily basis, but it goes down. Vidor got problems.

That being said it also has rappers!

I've met a few. They don't talk about that shit either. Just the cars they want and such. Maybe some do but I havent met them.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album. It is that good.

I'm inclined to agree.

• Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album. It is that good.

I'm inclined to agree.

man the more i listen i think i might be inclined to agree, the only thing is when i get in my ride i have to hear track 5 "what a job" everytime, so i havent made it to the end in the ride yet. only listened all the way through at work twice, backgroud music steez.
    i cant quite wrap my head around the idea of a better devin album than tryin to live but goddamn this just might be better!!
    time will tell, album of the year so far without a doubt.

i need a what a job 12in, does such a thing exist??

Nice save, Drew.

Wimberly is like sleeping on a waterbed while Vidor is more like laying on a bed of nails. Vidor is next level fucked up. Theres some pockets of total bullshit in Central Texas but dude, most dopnt compare to East Texas. East Texas is total insanity. They take racism to whole nother levels.

I mean, they dont take it to nother levels, they keep it the same way it was in 1955.

O.K. Maybe a little less violent on a daily basis, but it goes down. Vidor got problems.

I've met a few. They don't talk about that shit either. Just the cars they want and such. Maybe some do but I havent met them.

Man, I'm glad I never got east of Houston. Hopefully I never will.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Perhaps this is one to grow on.
    I actually was able to listen to this CD without wanting to hit fast forward.

Really nice listen from beginning to end.

Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album. It is that good.

PLAESE TO BE SERIOUS!!!

Hell yes, support Devin by buying this album twice...but IMO it's sub-par on many different levels.

Beyond the obvious goodness of She Useta Be and Just Because, boring is the operable word. I mean, I Hope I Don't Get Sick of This and Don't Wanna Be Alone are alright. And Til It's All Gone is cool, but better heard live.

Overall, especially considering the shift in production, the album seems drab.

I'd definitely recommend looking into some Money Waters instead of this.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

PLAESE TO BE SERIOUS!!!

Hell yes, support Devin by buying this album twice...but IMO it's sub-par on many different levels.

Beyond the obvious goodness of She Useta Be and Just Because, boring is the operable word. I mean, I Hope I Don't Get Sick of This and Don't Wanna Be Alone are alright. And Til It's All Gone is cool, but better heard live.

Overall, especially considering the shift in production, the album seems drab.

I'd definitely recommend looking into some Money Waters instead of this.

Taking its rightful place as the most recent installment of the trilogy that is:

Just Tryin' to Collab with Non-Texans,
    To tha Outer Reaches of the Blogosphere, and
    Waitin' to Pander to Carpetbaggeurs

???

I'm currently trying to let What a Job grow on me like a fungus. I'm on my 3rd consecutive listen to it right now.

It's decent but doesn't really make me want to eat brisket.

I do want to smoke some more though...and then switch the cd to Gerald G.

• I love this album and have been listening to it at least once a day for the past week, but it's not exactly female friendly. I I realized this while I played it in the car when my wife and I were driving around the other day. "'Get that cum out your nose?' What the hell?"

"Um...he just...doesn't wanna have to pay for it. You see? Because he's broke. So...."

• I'm currently trying to let What a Job grow on me like a fungus. I'm on my 3rd consecutive listen to it right now.

It's decent but doesn't really make me want to eat brisket.

I do want to smoke some more though...and then switch the cd to Gerald G.

• Harvey I find your whimsical support of texas artists troublesome. Almost hipsterish even. Are you sure you're not from new york?

Harvey I find your whimsical support of texas artists troublesome. Almost hipsterish even. Are you sure you're not from new york?

My Italian grandmother came through Ellis Island around 1940 and lived in New York for about 5 years before meeting my grandfather and moving to Panama. So there you go...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    harvey recommend me some albums/mixtapes from this year. A top 5, or something.
    I like the Devin album but I can't say i'm as enamored of it as fauxrillz and am hesitant to jump on the 'BEST RAP ALBUM EVAR' bandwagon at the moment, after three or four listenings. plz to advise.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Nice save, Drew.

Man, I'm glad I never got east of Houston. Hopefully I never will.

I agree with the Devin praise going on here.

Not to thead jack, but I had a personal experience with Vidor that tripped me out. About 3 years ago my good friend was having his bachelor party in New Orleans, so we rented a large van and 12 or so of us piled in for the road trip from Austin. Before we hit Vidor blunts were passed. My friend Vaughn, who's a large black man, was riding shotgun and I was driving. He was stoned and wilding out a little bit and without thinking where we were he starts pumping his fist and yelling out of the window. Not a mean yell, but an excited "woo hoo" type thing. We passed by the wrong two Vidor rednecks when this occured. These guys literally had mullets and looked like they were cast from hollywood to play "two rednecks from Vidor".

So, I'm in the left lane and these guys cut me off and then slow down so they're going below 50. This continues on for several minutes without them letting us pass. When they finally get out of the way they exit the highway and drive beside us on the access road yelling out the window at Vaughn.

We should have pulled over and beat their ass, but we were all a bit too baked to believe what was happening. Vidor is still a racist piece of shit place, the stereotype is NOT false.

This year:

And a couple of hold-overs from last year:

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm waiting on this:

And this especially cause part 1 was great:

I'm waiting on this:

And this especially cause part 1 was great:

Ryno and Dope-E have been doing a bunch of work together as well. Should be good...

• I love this album and have been listening to it at least once a day for the past week, but it's not exactly female friendly. I I realized this while I played it in the car when my wife and I were driving around the other day. "'Get that cum out your nose?' What the hell?"

"Um...he just...doesn't wanna have to pay for it. You see? Because he's broke. So...."

Yeah, the misogyny on that track is slightly off-putting.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I love this album and have been listening to it at least once a day for the past week, but it's not exactly female friendly. I I realized this while I played it in the car when my wife and I were driving around the other day. "'Get that cum out your nose?' What the hell?"

is it really misogyny if he's talking about hos and not all women?

is it really misogyny if he's talking about hos and not all women?

Being tongue-in-cheek, I hope.