Buy the Devin the Dude album or shut up

1235»

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i'm jumping aboard the bandwagon. I think it's his best album and the best hip-hop full length this year so far (not really saying much I guess...).

I acctually laugh out loud to some of the tracks.It's like i'm 13 again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I acctually laugh out loud to some of the tracks.It's like i'm 13 again.
    yeah, i was on the bus listening to it for the first time and started cracking up and people were mean mugging but i didnt give a fuck. boom skit + the whole shit about saving 120 dollars on the first track made me crack up

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    is your favorite music critic lurking on the strut?

tom breihan

• I love this album and have been listening to it at least once a day for the past week, but it's not exactly female friendly. I I realized this while I played it in the car when my wife and I were driving around the other day. "'Get that cum out your nose?' What the hell?"

"Um...he just...doesn't wanna have to pay for it. You see? Because he's broke. So...."

Yeah, the misogyny on that track is slightly off-putting.
    is it really misogyny if he's talking about hos and not all women?

Something's off if you continue to have sex with a woman while she's crying.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I love this album and have been listening to it at least once a day for the past week, but it's not exactly female friendly. I I realized this while I played it in the car when my wife and I were driving around the other day. "'Get that cum out your nose?' What the hell?"

"Um...he just...doesn't wanna have to pay for it. You see? Because he's broke. So...."

Yeah, the misogyny on that track is slightly off-putting.
    is it really misogyny if he's talking about hos and not all women?

Something's off if you continue to have sex with a woman while she's crying.

Tears of joy......

• is your favorite music critic lurking on the strut?

tom breihan

Damn, I hate agreeing with him, but I do--to a certain extent.

Someone really needs to tell him that "Cutcha Up" is about weed and not about "fucking underage girls," though.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Someone really needs to tell him that "Cutcha Up" is about weed and not about "fucking underage girls," though.

Yeah, I thought that song was creepy, but I knew it was about weed. This guy is just tryin to poke holes in what is a great album. Dude is a hatter.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

tom breihan

yeah...i just thought it was funny how this thread touched on almost all his points.

and while i do not endorse all the misogyny, in "just because" i'd (like to) think that Devin did it in such an exaggerated way that taking it even remotely serious is kinda missing the (very dark/perhaps poor) joke.

• is your favorite music critic lurking on the strut?

tom breihan

yeah...i just thought it was funny how this thread touched on almost all his points.

and while i do not endorse all the misogyny, in "just because" i'd (like to) think that Devin did it in such an exaggerated way that taking it even remotely serious is kinda missing the (very dark/perhaps poor) joke.

Yeah, I'm not really bothered by "Just Because" since I take it all as a dark joke, but "She Want That Money" kinda bums me out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Thing about "Just Because" is its pulling the same 'joke' as "I Hate U Bitch" by Z-Ro which is a better song albeit not as cartoony/over the top so i could see why people might find it more offensive or something.

I'm sure other people have done this before but no songs are striking me at the moment.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Dude scanned ~25K last week which, all things considered, is a pretty good look. Probably also sold quite a few copies via retailers that don't report to Soundscan. And he managed to outsell Crime Mob, who had a singe/video getting decent rotation.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Maybe this Tom whoever is hatting because he's never heard a rap-a-lot album? If you're playing a rap-a-lot release & expecting flowers & butterflies, you need Bushwick Bill to bumrush you & stab out your eye.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Maybe this Tom whoever is hatting because he's never heard a rap-a-lot album? If you're playing a rap-a-lot release & expecting flowers & butterflies, you need Bushwick Bill to bumrush you & shoot[/b] out your eye.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The Dude scanned ~25K last week which, all things considered, is a pretty good look. Probably also sold quite a few copies via retailers that don't report to Soundscan. And he managed to outsell Crime Mob, who had a singe/video getting decent rotation.

I was just about to post the Billboard link in the El-P Soundscan thread and ask if 30,000 units is what we Brits would call a "right result", especially given Rap-A-Lot's notoriously stingy promo tactics.

I went all over Central London trying to cop this at the weekend, and came up completely dry. The only Devin release they had in stock at the Oxford Street HMV was the Chopped & Screwed version of his first album. I'm always a little surprised at how easy it is to cop chopped and screwed versions of Southern rap albums in London, yet not as easy to cop the regular versions.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    blame dave stelfox lol

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

tom breihan

I wish a few more journalists (many of whom, one presumes, will have majored in English) would bone up on such arcane literary devices as third-person narratives and stop defaulting to the "Dude! He's totally, like, rhyming about his life!" method of reviewing rap records b/w "Is it OK for me to like this?" ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

• "I Got Nothin to Smoke With" = "Country rap"?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

tom breihan

I wish a few more journalists (many of whom, one presumes, will have majored in English) would bone up on such arcane literary devices as third-person narratives and stop defaulting to the "Dude! He's totally, like, rhyming about his life!" method of reviewing rap records b/w "Is it OK for me to like this?" ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
    haha you rule