NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• It's definitely the third year, but I'm pretty sure it was a seven year deal... and it wouldn't surprise me if it was loaded towards the back-end, meaning the biggest years are yet to come.

OOF. Gotta love those NBA guaranteed jammies.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

He's got a max contract with, I think, four years left, doesn't he?

Not sure how many takers you'd get.

I believe we signed him to a 6 year deal and we are currently in the third season of that.

It's definitely the third year, but I'm pretty sure it was a seven year deal... and it wouldn't surprise me if it was loaded towards the back-end, meaning the biggest years are yet to come.

Either way, he's not going anywhere, so we need to fit him back in to the team. I mean, the guy IS pretty damn talented when he wants to be.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Have fun at the game tonight man. GWS got waxed by 20, Mavs in a blowout...this has all the makings of a "trap game" for the Mavs.

yeah forgot that they had a sunday game vs the blazers. damn freaking blazers!
    is it confirmed that baron davis is out for tonights game?

the mavs are straight focused!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

the mavs are gettin' straight deaded!

ANYONE WANNA PUT UP SOME L$$T OR RAER$ ON WEDNESDAY'S 3/14/07 SUNS AT MAVS GAME???

WARRIORS?

OMG
    WTF

WARRIORS RISING
    PHOENIX RISING

MAVS= goin' down

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    you must not know the Warriors

Yup, I don't.

Yup, I don't.

yeah they will break your fucking heart!

i was at that game tonight and i was down in the lower bowl for once instead of nose bleeds. very nice seeing dirk going apeshit and baron ballin w/ a healthy squad. i will say that this loss was good for the mavs as they will quickly right the ship and go on some ridiculous 16-o run again... as for the w's they got a strong win and will have plenty of time to get rested for the t-wolves on friday night.

btw, best part of the night?

giving TOO SHORT dap on the way out! yes SHORT DOG was in the house! and in fact he is hella short and has aged quite a bit.

Damn, way to go Warriors, nice to see Baron and JRich back in the swing of things, and nice throwbacks, they been rockin' those a lot lately.

Suns/Mavs gonna be a hot game.

btw - i noticed short dogg lookin' mad old lately, grey in the goatee and ey'thang. at least he's back in the bay. does he live there again?

• MAVS= goin' down

Yup. 3 losses in 41 games. Spiraling.

Nice "W" Warriors. Where has that squad been all year or does Nellie only care about beating the Mavs? The Warriors were all in the Mavs' kitchen cookin up all kinds of shit last night. Fuck.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'll put my raers where my mouth is on the Mavs/Suns.....Avery is gonna have those boys playing their azzzes off after that loss last night.

Name the bet and I'm there.

Damn, way to go Warriors, nice to see Baron and JRich back in the swing of things, and nice throwbacks, they been rockin' those a lot lately.

Suns/Mavs gonna be a hot game.

btw - i noticed short dogg lookin' mad old lately, grey in the goatee and ey'thang. at least he's back in the bay. does he live there again?

yeah todd shaw was looking kinda crusty, dont know if he lives in the bay, maybe blackhawk?

as for the game, the warriors seem to own the mavs but i doubt we could do much if we eeked into the playoffs and played them in a 7 game series. granted i am thinking wishfully at this point. haha

i would not want to be the suns right now, having to play the mavs after that game last night, avery was yelling with only 2 minutes left in the game!

Yeah the Suns are probably gearing up for this game right now. I can only imagine how tough the Mavs are gonna be tomorrow.

And I wouldn't mind seeing the Warriors make it into that 8th spot, it's not impossible. Who knows what's gonna happen with the Clippers and the Kings, and as long as New Orleans doesn't surpass GS, then I think you still have a chance.

• as for the game, the warriors seem to own the mavs but i doubt we could do much if we eeked into the playoffs and played them in a 7 game series. granted i am thinking wishfully at this point. haha

I didn't realize how talent-laden the Warriors are. Davis/Jackson/Harrington/JRich/Biedrins is a nice 5. Ellis is sick off the bench. Pietrus is solid.

They definitely have the Mavs number. I wouldn't write them off for the playoffs just yet.

Hope the Mavs shrug that one off. Too many big games ahead.

I'll put my raers where my mouth is on the Mavs/Suns.....Avery is gonna have those boys playing their azzzes off after that loss last night.

I bet you $100 and an avatar for a week that the SUNS WIN.

We can bet an $100 raer and an avatar if you prefer.

i would not want to be the suns right now, having to play the mavs after that game last night, avery was yelling with only 2 minutes left in the game!

NAH FOLL
    SUNS GONNA BRING IT
    D'ANTONI WAS EJECTED AND THEY POUNDED THE ROCKETS AND YAO
    BARBOSA LAYUPS AROUND YAO =
    KURT THOMAS CRAZY EYES BLOCKS ON YAO MEANT YAO HAD TO SIT DOWN

DAEL

WIT

IT

I bet you $100 and an avatar for a week that the SUNS WIN.

We can bet an $100 raer and an avatar if you prefer.

$100 Raer and an Avatar.....just tell me what musical genre you want your rare in.

Almost any genre, PRIVATE BONERZ preferred of course. I have some prog, some xian, some raer.

$100 value (average popsike prices) and an avatar, you got a bet Rich.

Can't wait until tomorrow night!!!

Almost any genre, PRIVATE BONERZ preferred of course. I have some prog, some xian, some raer.

Cool....

Now my rant on various Maverick Conspiracy Theories....

Not only do we not get respect, there's an obvious bias against the Mavs.....

Whether it's Stephen A. Smith naming Kobe, DWade and Lebron as MVP candidates while completely ignoring Dirk.....or the glee of non-Mav fans when they lose to break a 17-game winning streak....

1) Mark Cuban Effect - The Commissioner hates this guy because he doesn't kiss his ass. Opposing fans hate him because he's a loud mouth stoopid rich(goofy) white dude... but EVERY fan in EVERY city wishes they had an owner like Cuban....jealousy is deadly.

2) Proficient But Not Spectacular - The "average" NBA fan is wowed by highlight films and prefer a 360 over a 3 pointer......the Mav's are boring.....nothing flashy.....ESPN doesn't lead with Dirk hitting 12 of 18 and getting 12 rebounds and 9 assists......they want Kobe. If you see the Mav's 3-4 times a year I can see them coming off as boring..... to see them night in and night out is awe inspiring.

3) Dirk is a Euro - Dude just doesn't get the recognition nor the marketing opportunities like DWade & Lebron.....he doesn't get any "street cred" bonus points either.....Dirk is not in the mold of what the NBA has marketed over the last 20 years.

4) The Bush Effect - A certain % of people in our country hate Texas due to GWB.

I just hope that if they win it this year, and they should, they start to get some respect and props.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Cool....

Now my rant on various Maverick Conspiracy Theories....

Not only do we not get respect, there's an obvious bias against the Mavs.....

Whether it's Stephen A. Smith naming Kobe, DWade and Lebron as MVP candidates while completely ignoring Dirk.....or the glee of non-Mav fans when they lose to break a 17-game winning streak....

1) Mark Cuban Effect - The Commissioner hates this guy because he doesn't kiss his ass. Fans hate him because he's a loud mouth stoopid rich(goofy) white dude... but EVERY fan in EVERY city wishes they had an owner like Cuban....jealousy is deadly.

2) Proficient But Not Spectacular - The "average" NBA fan is wowed by highlight films and prefer a 360 over a 3 pointer......the Mav's are boring.....nothing flashy.....ESPN doesn't lead with Dirk hitting 12 of 18 and getting 12 rebounds and 9 assists......they want Kobe. If you see the Mav's 3-4 times a year I can see them coming off as boring..... to see them night in and night out is awe inspiring.

3) Dirk is a Euro - Dude just doesn't get the recognition nor the marketing opportunities like DWade & Lebron.....he doesn't get any "street cred" bonus points either.....Dirk is not in the mold of what the NBA has marketed over the last 20 years.

4) The Bush Effect - A certain % of people in our country hate Texas due to GWB.

I just hope that if they win it this year, and they should, they start to get some respect and props.

You're right on most points. But come on man, this is nothing compared to all the Laker/Kobe haters out there.

I strongly agree on #3. If Dirk doesn't get MVP this year, shit is just violating, straight up and down. It won't hurt for global expansion either. All of the European, Asian, and South American countries are craving for a hero to emerge from the Big leagues, Worldcup, whatever whatever. See: Manu, Mirko Crocop, and Ichiro. Not surprisingly, interest in these sports is probably at an all-time high.

I hear ya.....but certainly you realize that Kobe is a very "hateable" guy.....and on the other hand.....the Mav's are so fundamentally vanilla it can be sleep inducing(no 360's or alley oops), but not really "hateable"???.....yet they are heavily hated on.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I hear ya.....but certainly you realize that Kobe is a very "hateable" guy.....and on the other hand.....the Mav's are so fundamentally vanilla it can be sleep inducing(no 360's or alley oops), but not really "hateable"???.....yet they are heavily hated on.

What are you talking about? The Mavs have a beautifully run offense that's a joy to watch. What would your average NBA fan rather see, the Houston Rockets or the Mavericks? C'mon!!! Stop with the self-depricating comments and start the Mavs bragging! They're playing incredible basketball, except for the four whoppings they got from the Warriors.

What are you talking about? The Mavs have a beautifully run offense that's a joy to watch. What would your average NBA fan rather see, the Houston Rockets or the Mavericks? C'mon!!! Stop with the self-depricating comments and start the Mavs bragging! They're playing incredible basketball, except for the four whoppings they got from the Warriors.

....the "average" fan doesn't appreciate a well run offense....the folks who talk hoops here at SS are way above(imo) the level of the average fan.

I know how good they are.....and I know that Avery has too much respect to not let his mentor Nellie win .

But the average fan wouldn't know a pick and roll from a dinner roll.

yet they are heavily hated on.

The majority of basketball fans, both internet and real-life, do not hate on the Mavs. Once again, I'd liked to stress my point that you do not know hating until you've been a Laker fan.

yet they are heavily hated on.

The majority of basketball fans, both internet and real-life, do not hate on the Mavs. Once again, I'd liked to stress my point that you do not know hating until you've been a Laker fan.

yeah i wouldnt say they are a hated on team, maybe a tad more enjoyable to watch then the spurs! most people dont want to see low scoring, half court offense games. the only reason folks watch the lakers is cause well they are the lakers and they have a superstar in kobe that may do something spectacular. i dont watch the mavs thinking OMFG dirk is gonna shoot it from 30 ft out.

but seriously, the mavs average about 100pts a game AND play defense?!?!?! whats not to like!

dirk needs to lose the goatee and keep the stache, larry legend like!

btw who is that hella short point guard you guys have buried at the end of the bench. he was the only dude who seemed to give a fuck at the end of the warriors game. dude was ballin!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

I may be proving your point for you, but hey...
    Unfortunately Lakers fans (from my experience) are the most self victimizing mofos out there in terms of basketball. They want their rings and their martyr crowns too. I honestly don't know why that is.

Of course teams are gonna step their game up vs. the Lakers, it's the LAKERS! but c'mon: your star gets pouty and throws some pretty vicious "follow through" bows when he's not getting calls. He is one of the top five atheletes in the world, so I don't buy the "he's out of control" excuse. He knows every movement that he makes and there is nothing that he does that is involuntary. I'm simply showing how, time and time again, they are EASY to hate on.

Personally, I feel that although I am a fan of a few teams, more than anything I just want to see good basketball. And although the Lakers provide incredible moments from time to time, the fans should realize that the TEAM and PLAYERS makes it easy for everyone to hate them. When the Los Angeles region cries foul as they stumble into a six game losing streak, nobody wants to hear it. But, that is probably because they continue to cry foul (you do not know hating until you've been a Laker fan) even when they are piling up the W's. I've yet to see a Clipper fan on here bitching about everyone hating on Tim Thomas, because they understand that Mr. Fugazi is not a very likable character.

As for the Mavs, I'm torn. They play incredible ball, and Avery has them playing out of their skulls. That said, seeing Jason Terry, who imo is a coattail rider in the whole "Mavs as a machine" phenomenon, almost ruins watching the Mavs for me. If by chance, he drops a WIDE OPEN three, he's running up the court making snarling faces at the opposing bench. It's like: YOU ARE JASON FUCKING TERRY. YOU WEREN'T SHIT BEFORE THIS TEAM. GTFOOHWTBS.
    Also: If Dirk does not get the MVP, I don't think I'll care about the award anymore.

I may be proving your point for you, but hey...

Unfortunately Lakers fans (from my experience) are the most self victimizing mofos out there in terms of basketball. They want their rings and their martyr crowns too. I honestly don't know why that is.

Of course teams are gonna step their game up vs. the Lakers, it's the LAKERS! but c'mon: your star gets pouty and throws some pretty vicious "follow through" bows when he's not getting calls. He is one of the top five atheletes in the world, so I don't buy the "he's out of control" excuse. He knows every movement that he makes and there is nothing that he does that is involuntary. I'm simply showing how, time and time again, they are EASY to hate on.

Personally, I feel that although I am a fan of a few teams, more than anything I just want to see good basketball. And although the Lakers provide incredible moments from time to time, the fans should realize that the TEAM and PLAYERS makes it easy for everyone to hate them. When the Los Angeles region cries foul as they stumble into a six game losing streak, nobody wants to hear it. But, that is probably because they continue to cry foul (you do not know hating until you've been a Laker fan) even when they are piling up the W's. I've yet to see a Clipper fan on here bitching about everyone hating on Tim Thomas, because they understand that Mr. Fugazi is not a very likable character.

As for the Mavs, I'm torn. They play incredible ball, and Avery has them playing out of their skulls. That said, seeing Jason Terry, who imo is a coattail rider in the whole "Mavs as a machine" phenomenon, almost ruins watching the Mavs for me. If by chance, he drops a WIDE OPEN three, he's running up the court making snarling faces at the opposing bench. It's like: YOU ARE JASON FUCKING TERRY. YOU WEREN'T SHIT BEFORE THIS TEAM. GTFOOHWTBS.
    Also: If Dirk does not get the MVP, I don't think I'll care about the award anymore.

Your arguments make no sense. Kobe hates to lose, end of story. Bruce Bowen has kicked Wally Szerbiak in the face, intentionally. Bell had his fists clenched before he clotheslined Kobe. Those are cowardly acts.

Anyway, you're somehow trying to rationalize why the hate is warranted. lol
    I'm not gonna write some filler here. And you are not a Laker fan!

As for your comments about Jason Terry. You can expand that and ask this question to most non-balling, shit-talking average fan, "How do you want them to play? and how do you want them to act?". Can a motherfucker live? (not directed at you JimBeam)

Feast on this playa hataz:

• btw who is that hella short point guard you guys have buried at the end of the bench. he was the only dude who seemed to give a fuck at the end of the warriors game. dude was ballin!

Jose Juan Barea. he almost brought 'em back!

JimBeam, you are severely underestimating JET. He has improved and adjusted his game immensely since becoming a Mav. I appreciate his attitude. It is no different than your average "NBA Buster". You shoulda seen scrubs like Jon Woody Barry and Mike James showing out when they were hitting 3s and their Rockets were up 2-0 on us in the playoffs two years ago. Too bad they got worked by 40 in Game 7.

• John Hollinger's daily NBA Power Rankings should show you the level of "respect" the Mavs get. He has the Spurs #1 and has for a few weeks now.

Of course, he gets paid by the Spurs as well. No shit.