NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• Pretty dope Mavs-related article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/03/07/mavs.dominance/index.html

Excerpt

How many finesse players become top 20 rebounders? How many perimeter players have the nerve to develop their game in the post? How many finishers turn themselves into playmakers? Nowitzki has learned the NBA game backward. The more celebrated he's become as a scorer, the more willingly he's taken on the dirty work as his team has needed it.

The Mavericks' torrid start (which is sixth best in league history), their 11-0 record in the second half of back-to-back games, and their 21-6 record on the road (a winning percentage of .778 that is superior to any team's record overall) is proof that Nowitzki at 28 has become the most effective leader in the league. He posts dominant numbers without exerting a dominating personality. He sets an example of hard work that defines the roster from top to bottom, while his humility creates an environment that allows teammates to express themselves in the locker room and on the court. In the crucial moments, Nowitzki is there to knock down sensational threes or fallaway jumpers that look routine in a Larry Bird sort of way.

"He is the same guy today as when I bought the team,'' owner Mark Cuban says. "There is never an element of himself over the team: He trusts his coach, the system and his teammates. His focus is on always learning, whether it's a new part of his game or watching tape or reading books to become a better student of the game.''

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Headlines:[/b]

Bryant strikes Korver in loss to 76ers

Iverson pouts during post-game interview as Pistons juggle Nuggets

Nets loose fifth straight to rockets; Knicks better off not playing

Shaq is Back.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Looks like the #1 Playa is frustrated with the team's play. LA went from overachievers to garbage really quickly. Hopefully everyone will be back on the same page, come playoff time. Shit, at this rate, the playoffs could be in jeopardy!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Looks like the #1 Playa is frustrated with the team's play. LA went from overachievers to garbage really quickly. Hopefully everyone will be back on the same page, come playoff time. Shit, at this rate, the playoffs could be in jeopardy!

Naw, the bottom of the batch of the Western Playoffs are all struggling to fall OUT of the post-season. The Lakers might fall in the standings, but they'll still be there after the regular season is over.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

warriors on the come up! western conference watch out!

i got tix for mondays game against the mavs, so lets hope they can keep this 3 game win streak alive.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fire Rick Carlyle!!!

Fire Rick Carlyle!!!

He still coaches the Pacers?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Pistons juggle Nuggets

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Pistons juggle Nuggets

Name ain't Carmelo, but I play with them nuggets...

Pistons juggle Nuggets

Name ain't Carmelo, but I play with them nuggets...

Hey, don't you be brining no rap in this thread. This thread is strictly for BALLIN'! (do that incredibly disturbing follow-thorough). Gawd, I hate that song.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Pistons juggle Nuggets

i had no idea CWebb would produce this well. His shot got mad weird post-injury, but it works.

New York Knicks' Steve Francis, front left, walks off the court with teammate Channing Frye after hitting a 3-point, game-winning shot at the buzzer against the Washington Wizards during an NBA basketball game Saturday, March 10, 2007, in Washington. The Knicks won 90-89 and are currently tied with Orlando for the 8th spot in the playoffs.[/b]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

New York Knicks' Steve Francis, front left, walks off the court with teammate Channing Frye after hitting a 3-point, game-winning shot at the buzzer against the Washington Wizards during an NBA basketball game Saturday, March 10, 2007, in Washington. The Knicks won 90-89 and are currently tied with Orlando for the 8th spot in the playoffs.[/b]

What would you rather have?

A shot at a player like Durant, Oden, Noah ........

or

A one and done in the Playoffs??

Gimme the pick.

Durant is a once every 10-20 years caliber player.

He just had two terrible games in the Big 12 Tourney and he's scored 26 & 29!!!

If you can catch the Texas-Kansas game tomorrow you just might see the future of basketball.

or

Gimme the pick.

Knicks don't have "a shot" at Durant, Rock; they traded away their pick.

Unlike the other teams in the division, they have no incentive to miss the playoffs.

or

Gimme the pick.

Unlike the other teams in the division, they have no incentive to miss the playoffs.

Gotcha....they're fucked worse than I thought!!

• But hey, at least they got Eddie Curry!

Bulls fans: "Lose, Knicks, Lose!"

Rock,

I think your early season prediction will come true. Dirk will win MVP. The firsthalf I thought it was Nash for sure, but now the Mavs have passed them up in the standings and look to be set at another run at the title. Finishing with the best record in the League I think will push Dirk over Nash in the votes although it will probably be close. The western playoffs are going to be great this year.

• Knicks don't have "a shot" at Durant, Rock; they traded away their pick.

no, the knicks didnt trade away their pick, they traded the right to swap picks w/ chi .. bulls got knicks pick last yr (ty thomas) and it's against CBA rules to trade first rounders in two consecutive years ... i'm assuming the bulls will take the swap (unless they're trying to save money), but if it were to happen today it would be something like a 16th being swapped for a 21st ... something in that neighborhood. dont let the media fool you (probably too late for that anyway). the bulls also didnt get any players or cap space from the deal (they swapped a. davis for tim thomas, both of whom were expiring at about the same amount of money, and mike sweetney isnt even a part of their rotation even though espn's john hollinger's cute little statistics led him to believe that he was the best player involved in that trade) - they only got tyrus thomas and whatever happens this year ... tyrus has looked better recently but he's far from being on curry's level ... chi will move up a little bit this yr ... but more importantly kept from losing curry for nothing, and it looked like he was more than willing to sit out the entire season instead of taking that ridiculous dna test (unprecented in any sport or other form of employment) .. win/win for both sides

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    btw, Faded_G's changing Clyde-based locations are killing it.

no, the knicks didnt trade away their pick, they traded the right to swap picks w/ chi .. bulls got knicks pick last yr (ty thomas) and it's against CBA rules to trade first rounders in two consecutive years ... i'm assuming the bulls will take the swap (unless they're trying to save money), but if it were to happen today it would be something like a 16th being swapped for a 21st ... something in that neighborhood. dont let the media fool you (probably too late for that anyway). the bulls also didnt get any players or cap space from the deal (they swapped a. davis for tim thomas, both of whom were expiring at about the same amount of money, and mike sweetney isnt even a part of their rotation even though espn's john hollinger's cute little statistics led him to believe that he was the best player involved in that trade) - they only got tyrus thomas and whatever happens this year ... tyrus has looked better recently but he's far from being on curry's level ... chi will move up a little bit this yr ... but more importantly kept from losing curry for nothing, and it looked like he was more than willing to sit out the entire season instead of taking that ridiculous dna test (unprecented in any sport or other form of employment) .. win/win for both sides

Well, okay, same effect w/r/t Rock's point though, right? The swap is at the Bulls' option, and there's no reason to believe they wouldn't exercise that option if it involves a player like Durant. Knicks could dog the remaining ~20 games while Boston, etc., experienced an amazing reversal of fortune, and Durant would still not be coming to NY via the draft, right? Or am I missing something. All I'm saying is that I don't see a downside to the Knicks making the playoffs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Western Playoffs are going to be great this year.

I hope Golden State can sneak into the 8th seed.

BMON-

Given the current 9G loosing streak and O'Neal now out for 3 weeks...is Indy about to get bumped from the playoffs?

Mavs Vs. Lakers is ugly.

Smush is a punk.

I'm starting to like Greg Anthony. He's absolutely right that Dirk is the MVP this year. All those hanging on Steve Nash's nuts needs to realize, there's one other important aspect of basketball, and that is defense. Nash may or may not win 3 MVPs, and what has he won? This is something to consider when choosing an MVP for the year.

Dirk is MVP. If Nash gets it again, that shit is scandalous.

Smush is a punk.

Look at my location. It applies to everything and anything.

I'm starting to like Greg Anthony. He's absolutely right that Dirk is the MVP this year.

Of course Dirk is a top MVP candidate, but Greg Anthony is an idiot.

Your Private Mind Garden is in dire need of landscaping.

The Western Playoffs are going to be great this year.

I hope Golden State can sneak into the 8th seed.

Not going to happen. And this is from a diehard Warriors fan.

I'm starting to like Greg Anthony. He's absolutely right that Dirk is the MVP this year. All those hanging on Steve Nash's nuts needs to realize, there's one other important aspect of basketball, and that is defense. Nash may or may not win 3 MVPs, and what has he won? This is something to consider when choosing an MVP for the year.

I think that's a kinda weak arguent. Dirk is no defensive player by a long shot, and what has he won either?

He has a very, VERY good chance to walk away with a title this year, but as of now?

MVP votes should be based upon what a player has done within the season, not whether they've won anything.

Dirk and Nash are really the only legit candidates this year with Dirk running away with it because his team is almost unbeatable right now.

I'm starting to like Greg Anthony. He's absolutely right that Dirk is the MVP this year.

Of course Dirk is a top MVP candidate, but Greg Anthony is an idiot.

Your Private Mind Garden is in dire need of landscaping.

That's what I thought too for a second, but he was straight up serving Tim Legler today on the ESPN broadcast for Lakers/Mavs. How is he an idiot?

I think that's a kinda weak arguent. Dirk is no defensive player by a long shot, and what has he won either?

He has a very, VERY good chance to walk away with a title this year, but as of now?

MVP votes should be based upon what a player has done within the season, not whether they've won anything.

Dirk and Nash are really the only legit candidates this year with Dirk running away with it because his team is almost unbeatable right now.

Check this out. How valuable can your most valuable player be, if he can only take them to a certain level?