The Rub DJ's at Beauty Bar Austin last Friday

Comments

• (ie, the power to criticize others in a widely regionally eBay[/b] dissemenated periodical)

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• It's the music you play. You play that real shit and the next thing you know you're playing at a house party for free

although i guess getting paid to dj isn't that big of a concern if you have an online paper route

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    online paper route

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Oh yeah wtf there's nothing wrong with sade vocals though! wtf dude thats not hipster shit, thats valentines day shit

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Dude, this is flagrant. Totally weak. Dudes who post here & make music are not beyond criticism, but what are you actually saying? That they didn't play obscure ish in a venue that didn't call for it? That these dudes are repping some phony scene? The best look in this thread came from Cosmo, who didn't stoop to your level.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You're walking three-dimensional proof that 99% of so-called rap journalists are just fucking also-ran losers who want to use the one little bit of pathetic clout they've accumulated (ie, the power to criticize others in a widely dissemenated periodical) to tear down people who are actually out there doing things.
    journalism =/ doing things?

I mean 99% of rap journalists are wack but there are so many more reasons to choose from

ugh at having to side w/ archaic about a minor point

• Them Rub cats are people i'm cool with and I don't know HC at all, but I don't get why the defenders of others seem more up in arms than the dudes who HC's fucking with? I mean if HC either has the balls to say they should be doing something hotter or is just asshurt they're doing something people respond to is really his opinion. This seems to be HC's MO and you guys are like republicans who can't fathom why there should be any dissention in the ranks. He's not feeling the Rub - it's okay. The powers that be at the Rub have no reason to lose sleep over this notion as they're shit wasn't (I hope) intended to be for everyone.

• i for one agree with HC in the jealousy department.

however, unlike HC, i am absolutely stunning in the looks department.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It seems to be much deeper than that, Georges, but you're right about one thing - we're not losing any sleep over it.

But once again, thanks to everyone who has supported me and The Rub over my career, allowing me to express myself as a creative person, and at the same time helping me support my family financially as the sole bread winner. I'm truly blessed to have been able to do that, work doing something that I love![/b]

X infinity.

And yeah Shig I got Jonny's message and I'm with it but I'll be on tour for the next 10 days so when i get some downtime I'll figure out if we can make that happen.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It seems to be much deeper than that, Georges, but you're right about one thing - we're not losing any sleep over it.

But once again, thanks to everyone who has supported me and The Rub over my career, allowing me to express myself as a creative person, and at the same time helping me support my family financially as the sole bread winner. I'm truly blessed to have been able to do that, work doing something that I love![/b]

X infinity.

And yeah Shig I got Jonny's message and I'm with it but I'll be on tour for the next 10 days so when i get some downtime I'll figure out if we can make that happen.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

sell-out... and your mixes are bullshit cos! youre the worst... surprised you still have friends with the crap youre pushin on the good people of TX.

• I say you get in where you fit in. If you want to make it as a dj you have to create your own lane and run with it. Remixes and "mash ups" are what's in today so if you can create your own and play them that's a plus. Same shit as djs 20 years ago mixing accappellas over beats. What about dr dre mixing "please mr postman" with Jive rhythm traxs "122 bpm"? Is that just as "bad" as HC is saying the rub guys are?

• And yeah Shig I got Jonny's message and I'm with it but I'll be on tour for the next 10 days so when i get some downtime I'll figure out if we can make that happen.

saweet! im gon be in town for ur thing. see u then!

ps
    i kinda like cherry coke.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Them Rub cats are people i'm cool with and I don't know HC at all, but I don't get why the defenders of others seem more up in arms than the dudes who HC's fucking with? I mean if HC either has the balls to say they should be doing something hotter or is just asshurt they're doing something people respond to is really his opinion. This seems to be HC's MO and you guys are like republicans who can't fathom why there should be any dissention in the ranks. He's not feeling the Rub - it's okay. The powers that be at the Rub have no reason to lose sleep over this notion as they're shit wasn't (I hope) intended to be for everyone.
    I don't know either party personally. all i know are internet personas. and i know i can't stand archaic/HC's.
    it was a pretty backwards knock... quoting i don't know who...and i don't really care. i've never cared about anything the dude posts cause he's crazy. he thinks Texas is the center of the universe and anyone from Project Blowed is a god. and in this case, he figures they should be playing some crunk/dirty south bullshit that he played at a HOUSE PARTY...because it would be keeping it realer or would stop people from snorting coke. (a little confusing cause I thought HC liked rap that refers to selling crack, etc)

If/when I have issues with a DJ's set I don't post my unsolicited[/b] opinion on the internet directly/indirectly about it.

i guess without explaining himself (which makes me cringe again because i don't really care that much anyways), i dunno his line of thought.

for now, its more of an argument of mash-ups vs. HC's PMG hits. and i lean more towards mash-ups as they can put a fresh spin on some tired classics while I don't feel the commercial/jiggy/crunk/whatever crap HC holds up as good music.
    I see, respect, and am inspired by The Rub and others on this board who are grinding mad hard while retaining a good ear for music/what makes people dance, as well as maintaining a general friendliness and humble attitude.

• daaaam ...i'm gonna miss you guys in LA by about 24 hours. wack.

canal,stop being such a little musical malcontent. isnt there more important stuff to find fault wiht? global warming? health care crisis? the middle east?
    Cos and Ursss have a looong undefeated streak of having live dance parties,where people are happy, feel good,dance, and get booty. maybe you should plan to attend?

music snobbery = ghey

• It would be really funny if once, just once, instead of chomping on the bait for all it's worth, the en masse reaction to some of Harvey's left field business was bewildered and amazed complete agreeance with whatever it was being posited. It probably wouldn't be as seemingly fun for as long though.

I live in Austin, but I'm a hermit so I don't know what goes on at this so-called Beauty Bar.

• I've observed archaic attack DJ mel before, both on the internets and in the Austin Chronicle, for this same bullshit. DJ mel is the nicest guy on the planet - and like the rub, just plays some good party music - it's well done and they deserve a lot of credit.

For some reason Archaic has some problem with them playing mash ups and not strictly hip-hop that he approves of. Maybe he's upset because the rub guys and Mel are all knowledgeable about Hip-hop and he feels that they're "watering it down" for their audience? NEWSFLASH: they never advertised their shows as being real schitt only rap. They are known for this type of mash up party and they do it better than almost anyone. Let them make a living and let the hipsters wear white belts and dance without your hate.

GET OVER IT.

Side note: I think it's unethical to threaten people with a bad review when you write for a publication such as the Chronicle. I'm sure there's people on the music staff who would recommend the Rub for SXSW - let them write a recommendation rather than you spreading your negativity.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Footnotes:

1. I got paid plenty to dj the other night. I also received several offers from others in attendance to be paid even more to dj their upcoming house parties. As of yet, I've turned all offers down.

2. DJ Mel is indeed the nicest guy you'll ever meet. But unfortunately that doesn't have much bearing on the idea that as a music critic in his town I think that the majority of his song selections are

3. I have no plans to write anything overtly negative about the Rub DJ's. Just like last year, I plan to write something about them that on the surface seems giddily positive but between the lines unleashes the blood-curdling squeals of seven male coke whores scratching their way in, then out, then back into a Jeezy/Jagger time-loop.

4. It's way too easy for me to get y'all's panties in a wad. So I give the Rub dudes shit for catering to dufus coke crowds...big whoop.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Wow, this thread was a lot of fun to read while waiting for the peanut butter cookies to cool off sufficiently to put 'em in a ziploc so to prevent them from becoming stale by morning.

Which of the following Canal Probes is your favorite b/w most likely to make it into the soulstrut pantheon:

#1:
    I just dj'ed a packed Love and Lust-themed house party Saturday night for a bunch of typically-non-hip-hop-supporting folks and the recent remake of 2 Live Crew's Get It Girl by Ying Yang Twinz and Bun B especially killed.

the situation is getting even worse. So thus my campaign against it must be heightened.

I think they deserve extra ribbing for now stooping to such dastardly lows

It's the music you play. You play hipster crap and the next thing you know you're playing at a hipster crap bar for a packed house of hipster crap eaters.

#4A
    THE REMIX: It's the music you play. You play that real shit and the next thing you know you're playing at a house party for free

Which of the following disses is your favorite?

kudos on the packed house party you dj'd.

we wouldnt want you to compromise the artistic integrity of the yin yang twins.

i guess getting paid to dj isn't that big of a concern if you have an online paper route

My favorite canal is #4, but I think #2 is most likely to be repeated to good effect. "Thus my campaign against it must be heightened" is just hilarious to me.

My favorite dis is #3, mostly because I had a real world paper route for several years as a kid, so I love paper route humor. Also love paper boy video game.

Goodnight gang. HAPPY VOTING!

JRoot

PS This thread is an instant classic.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

1. I got paid plenty to dj the other night.

Getting a house cup for the keg does not qualify as getting paid.

4. It's way too easy for me to get y'all's panties in a wad.

Easier than not attending a show?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Which of the following Canal Probes is your favorite b/w most likely to make it into the soulstrut pantheon:

This One:

1. I got paid plenty to dj the other night. I also received several offers from others in attendance to be paid even more to dj their upcoming house parties. As of yet, I've turned all offers down.

I got paid plenty B/W I also recieved several offers... to be paid EVEN more! Bonus Track: Ive turned ALL offers down.

Keepin it REAL!

• And how do you figure that the Ying Yang Twinz have watered themselves down in order to attract those Becky's? From my view, the more geniune they are about being themselves, as raw as that may be...the more they're able to crossover.

i dont know any of theyre tunes besides that "wait till i show you this, hey girl"

does the one brother rap about how he is homosexual? the tv turned onto cribz one day and i witnessed him not on record and out of video context, the one guy was a total queen, im not shit talking here, i am stating the obvious.

does he rap about that fact? does he keep it that real and genuine about himself on record?

• Footnotes:

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    HC will be putting Ugly Duckling on blast next and then perhaps Paul Nice or anyone else whos RWMs and superior rep on SS outweighs his.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

What "integrity" would that be, praytell? Ying Yang chase that brass ring WAY harder than any of the Rub dudes do (and have the Becky-based sales numbers to show for it--but I guess we're supposed to ignore that), yet you seem to think The Rub need to be chastised at any and every opportunity for achieving their success without adhering to Robert's Rules of Rillness. So what inherent integrity does Ying Yang possess that The Rub does not?

Playing half-rap at the Beauty Bar hardly constitutes any standard of success that I could ever fathom.

And how do you figure that the Ying Yang Twinz have watered themselves down in order to attract those Becky's? From my view, the more geniune they are about being themselves, as raw as that may be...the more they're able to crossover.

Also, speaking as a DJ, I had no idea I could exert absolute control over who attends my shows and what drugs, if any, they consume.

It's the music you play. You play hipster crap and the next thing you know you're playing at a hipster crap bar for a packed house of hipster crap eaters.

I usually avoid the perennial SS beefs such as this one. Nevertheless, I have to say, Robert, that when you resort to this kind of lowballing for shits and giggles, you come off as nothing more than The Enemy Of Fun. Me & my girl went to a Rub party last September when we were in NYC for her birthday weekend. We had a great time, and neither of us does coke. Maybe the crowd they draw in Austin says more about Austin than it does about Cos, Ayres, Eleven, etc.

Back in the mid-90's, I used to go to a night called the Sunday Social, which was held in the basement of an unremarkable North London boozer called the Albany. The resident DJs were the Chemical Brothers. They weren't much of a big deal back then; just a couple of guys playing lots of Frankie Cutlass and Mantronix records and hoping nobody would notice they weren't the real Dust Brothers, which they were still calling themselves at the time. For the three months or so that this night ran, it was possibly the best in London and amongst the best I've ever been to. The more popular it became, the more so-called hipsters it drew, and when it became too big for the venue (weekly lock-outs by six in the evening) and had to move elsewhere, the hipster quotient rose exponentially and it stopped being quite so much fun. Throughout all this, the one constant was how consistently entertaining the CBs were as DJs, which made the influx of trendchasers just about bearable. I eventually stopped going because I just didn't like the new venue, but I used to hear a lot of criticism, not of the DJ's, but of the new crowd they were drawing, the essence of which was that these people - carpetbaggers, one might call them - were having the "wrong kind of fun". This kind of criticism - no, let's call it what it is; snobbery - is as tiresome now as it was then.

• The Enemy Of Fun.

Harvey, may i suggest a location?
    keep it real, t

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    You ain't never heard Pharoah Sanders until you've heard him on coke!

Yeah, last I heard he was hittin' the pipe pretty hard. very sad.

I didn't even know that. I was just making an ill-advised joke and sniffing coke and listening to spiritual jazz. Too bad about Sanders.

• You ain't never heard Pharoah Sanders until you've heard him on coke!

I didn't even know that. I was just making an ill-advised joke and sniffing coke and listening to spiritual jazz. Too bad about Sanders.

yeah...not good news.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    You ain't never heard Pharoah Sanders until you've heard him on coke!

yeah...not good news.

How would one verify this information?