The Rub DJ's at Beauty Bar Austin last Friday

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You ain't never heard Pharoah Sanders until you've heard him on coke!

Yeah, last I heard he was hittin' the pipe pretty hard. very sad.

I didn't even know that. I was just making an ill-advised joke and sniffing coke and listening to spiritual jazz. Too bad about Sanders.

yeah...not good news.

How would one verify this information?

I guess if one spotted him while one was copping oneself?

I don't know--I find it a touch hard to believe; I've seen him perform a few times over the past decade, and he always lookied relatively fit. He's a bit far in life to pick up a habit like that or to have it dangerously accelerate.

Anyway, hope it's not true.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

I didn't even know that. I was just making an ill-advised joke and sniffing coke and listening to spiritual jazz. Too bad about Sanders.

yeah...not good news.

I don't know--I find it a touch hard to believe; I've seen him perform a few times over the past decade, and he always lookied relatively fit. He's a bit far in life to pick up a habit like that or to have it dangerously accelerate.

I just thought this a joke in reference to the cover pic. Hopefully it is just that.

4. It's way too easy for me to get y'all's panties in a wad. So I give the Rub dudes shit for catering to dufus coke crowds...big whoop.

Shied, while you might like to see yourself as some crafty provocateur tipping over sacred cows, everybody else sees you as just some jealous little dude when you behave like this.

• You ain't never heard Pharoah Sanders until you've heard him on coke!

yeah...not good news.

I just thought this a joke in reference to the cover pic. Hopefully it is just that.

Jessus christ it was a joke. I always thought that was a wierd flute/pipe lookin' thing on that cover. I am sorry for any misunderstanding. In fact it is so much of a joke and in such bad taste I thought it could only be taken as a joke.

Pharaoh is actually a really great dude I who I have had the pleasure of Djing for and he actually signed a few of my records. He just had a baby with an extended friend of the family. Great Dude.

He is NOT on the pipe.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ::retractsfreelancequeryletterfromDownBeataboutdrugproblemsofjazzlegend::

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I just dj'ed a house party

now dudes have a venue in my town

my situation is getting even worse.

• Coke and Hip Hop is a new thing?
    Coke La Rock, Kurtis Blow, White Lines, just scratching the surface here.

I have said it for a long time DJ'ing is like being a chef. I will give the crowd some meat and potatoes. I will give them some dessert. I will sneak in some veggies. Stuff I think is good for them to hear. I have seen it many times that some chef's want to serve all veggies. This is only cool if you have a room full of vegetarians. The Rub and Mel serve well rounded meals.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Coke and Hip Hop is a new thing?

I have said it for a long time DJ'ing is like being a chef. I will give the crowd some meat and potatoes. I will give them some dessert. I will sneak in some veggies. Stuff I think is good for them to hear. I have seen it many times that some chef's want to serve all veggies. This is only cool if you have a room full of vegetarians. The Rub and Mel serve well rounded meals.

You just go ahead and let me know the first time that Mel ever drops a song done by a local rap group originating from east of IH-35.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

please read the thread before you post.

You just go ahead and let me know the first time that Mel ever drops a song done by a local rap group originating from east of IH-35.

what doe that have to do with playing music that your patrons enjoy?

are you the "keepin it real" police?

Not to get all in the middle of this love fest, but weren't you the one crowing (or excuse me, channelling your homegirl, crowing) about how great Mel was in comparison to DJ Ayres of The Rub crew?

So now Mel is no better? Just want to keep my scorecard straight.

And is the girl you were channeling the one who has a penchant for "Tasty Jazztronica"?

This is all so confusing. Neither my Berkeley High nor my Wall Street experience have prepared me for this.

• I just dj'ed a packed house party Saturday night for a bunch of typically-non-hip-hop-supporting folks

is that why you're salty, they play music for people that aare enjoying it and you are forcing it on people?

Not to get all in the middle of this love fest, but weren't you the one crowing (or excuse me, channelling your homegirl, crowing) about how great Mel was in comparison to DJ Ayres of The Rub crew?

And is the girl you were channeling the one who has a penchant for "Tasty Jazztronica"?

This is all so confusing. Neither my Berkeley High nor my Wall Street experience have prepared me for this.

hahahaha as Chappelle said "When keeping It real goes wrong", or in HC's case when Keeping It Real gets confused.

Best Thread so far this week!

Seriously--the strip of toiletpaper on which I keep track of THE WORLD ACCORDING TO SHIED with a discarded tube of lipstick is becoming near illegible with cross-outs and asterisks.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Huh? I was referencing a comment by jlee saying the same cokey crowd would show up for the Rub or Pharoah Sanders. It's the venue, not the music.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Huh? I was referencing a comment by jlee saying the same cokey crowd would show up for the Rub or Pharoah Sanders. It's the venue, not the music.

no if you read further youd have seen that pharoah is not smoking crack. it was a joke gone wrong.

I never said that Mel was better than the Rub.

I just posted the thoughts/words of a woman that I hardly know...who also seems to suffer from a myopia that has her recognizing only certain rap artists from the ATX.

I never said that Mel was better than the Rub.

I just posted the thoughts/words of a woman that I hardly know...who also seems to suffer from a myopia that has her recognizing only certain rap artists from the ATX.

Well, that's where I'm confused then - as the boy said, you clearly cast yourself as a crafty provocateur... yet when you post someone else's words, I usually read that as an endorsement of those words. Whereas I guess I should read it as mere crafty provocateuration.

Seriously--the strip of toiletpaper on which I keep track of THE WORLD ACCORDING TO SHIED with a discarded tube of lipstick is becoming near illegible with cross-outs and asterisks.

Yep, the whole world is a static set of givens that never change.

That being said, my overriding music opinions have remained pretty darned consistent for quite some time now.

Y'all just wind up projecting way more than y'all listen and understand.

It's the Soulstrut way.

• WYPWYP 28 Posts
    Who are the Rub DJs? Who the fuck cares who they are? This thread is retarded.

Yep, the whole world is a static set of givens that never change.

= "I had a falling-out with she of the Tasty Slabs of Jazztronica"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    doggie you were all ryde or die for tasty jazztronika girl before

• the reason no ones playing the shit is because (1) it sucks and (2) mostly derivitive of BETTER mc's/groups from houston.
    sorry to have to break the news to ya.

• The History of Jazztronica from jazzitude.com

http://www.jazzitude.com/jazztronica_01.htm

:get familiar!:

sidenote, now i want to email that woman who wrote the Rub article and tell her that she has a bad jazzitude

• THIS guy has some serious jazzitude:

• you must have lots of jazzitude to make your sax all melty like that

personally, i am more a fan of this guy's laid back jazzitude

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I still don't understand what Harvey is trying to accomplish by constantly pimping his Texas rap fandom and fighting tooth-and-nail with Faux and crew, who have their own taste in music.

OK, OK...we surrender! We accept Z-Ro as our Supreme Leader and will bow in the direction of the holy county of Travis five times a day! My cup of sizzurp runneth over!

Happy?

• true. but man i'm totally tripping out over this triptych:

• Let me help you out.

Who are the Rub DJs?
    Talented dj's from new york. Check out the link below for some mixes to get an idea of why a lot of people on this board care about them.
    http://brooklynradio.net//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=48

This thread is retarded.
    Well, mostly just the contributions from Harvey Canal.

• true. but man i'm totally tripping out over this triptych:

too heavy on the jazz- not enough -tronica.