The Rub DJ's at Beauty Bar Austin last Friday

1235»

Comments

• You diss jazztronica you d....ah, fuck it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i finally sat down and read this whole thing. why?

ugh!

• You diss jazztronica you d....ah, fuck it.

that made me laugh so hard...i'm still laughing. game, set, match- pontecorvo.

whether or not you dig the music, there's a VERY high level of professionalism that anybody (at any level in the game) can learn from these guys. and that is where you are shaming yourself hard, Harvey.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

did Harvey even go to this gig? Or is this an extension of his last Rub diss post?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Coke and Hip Hop is a new thing?
    Coke La Rock, Kurtis Blow, White Lines, just scratching the surface here.

I have said it for a long time DJ'ing is like being a chef. I will give the crowd some meat and potatoes. I will give them some dessert. I will sneak in some veggies. Stuff I think is good for them to hear. I have seen it many times that some chef's want to serve all veggies. This is only cool if you have a room full of vegetarians. The Rub and Mel serve well rounded meals.

You just go ahead and let me know the first time that Mel ever drops a song done by a local rap group originating from east of IH-35.

Not to get all in the middle of this love fest, but weren't you the one crowing (or excuse me, channelling your homegirl, crowing) about how great Mel was in comparison to DJ Ayres of The Rub crew?

So now Mel is no better? Just want to keep my scorecard straight.

And is the girl you were channeling the one who has a penchant for "Tasty Jazztronica"?

This is all so confusing. Neither my Berkeley High nor my Wall Street experience have prepared me for this.

Seriously--the strip of toiletpaper on which I keep track of THE WORLD ACCORDING TO SHIED with a discarded tube of lipstick is becoming near illegible with cross-outs and asterisks.

Yep, the whole world is a static set of givens that never change.

= "I had a falling-out with she of the Tasty Slabs of Jazztronica"

She's doing ok though, apparently she just got offered DJ gigs at a gang of house parties.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    did Harvey even go to this gig? Or is this an extension of his last Rub diss post?

no he didn't go.

he bases his entire opinion of the rub on my playing a 50 cent record to an empty room at a sxsw showcase last year, which is the only time he saw any of us dj. his raging boner for us since then has been fueled by his friend's blog about going to a party at whiskey bar in november where i played too much commercial hip-hop for her taste, and his other friend's report of going to a party we just djed at beauty bar and saying she heard too many smash-togethers. neither of the two examples he gave, tears for fears and sade, were actually played at beauty bar. mel's party, "swoll," is a booty bass, house and club night, and it draws a crowd that comes to dance and party. but we played stuff by 2 live crew, cajmere, t.i., e-40, dj class, project pat, switch, bun b, peter bjorn & john, the gossip, jimi hendrix, spankrock, justin timberlake, james brown, sly and the family stone, and so on and so forth. it pains me to stoop to harvey's level to address this, but the reason we play all types of music is because we love all types of music, not just hip-hop, and we play at parties where people come to dance, not keep a real schitt scorecard.

however 2 weeks ago, dj premier was our guest at the rub in brooklyn, and that should give you an idea of our feelings about realness.

here are two of harvey's hometown heroes, bavu blakes and rapid ric, having a great time on friday at beauty bar:

here are some dangerously coked up hometown hipsters having a great time on friday at beauty bar:

everyone who likes to have fun and dance, please come see us on tour, at any of our 7 gigs at sxsw in austin, at wmc in miami, or at home in brooklyn. everyone who hates fun, stay home and write about us on the internet.

Thursday, Feb 15
    Hi Fi Club w. Smalltown DJs $10
    219 10th Ave SW Calgary, AB

Friday, Feb 16
    Club Carlin w. Jimi Scott
    2501 Montana Ave. Billings, MT

Saturday, Feb 17
    Club Six $5/$15
    60 Sixth St. San Francisco, CA

Tuesday, Feb 20
    Cinespace w. Steve Aoki & Them Jeans
    6356 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA

Saturday, March 3, 2007
    The Rub
    Cosmo Baker, DJ Ayres & DJ Eleven
    + Lord Sear & Eddie Stats
    Southpaw
    125 5th Avenue
    Park Slope, BK

Friday, March 9
    The Rub, Smalltown DJs, Tittsworth & Fort Knox 5
    Club Five - 1214-B 18th St. NW
    Washington, DC

Thursday, March 15 (early)
    The Rub, Kid Sister & J Davey
    4 PM
    Beauty Bar
    Austin, Texas

Thursday, March 15 (late)
    The Rub @ Shirts & Skins
    SXSW
    Austin, Texas

Friday, March 16 (late)
    The Rub, DJ Mel, DJ Day & Smalltown DJs
    The Warehouse
    1300 East 4th Street
    Austin, Texas

Friday, March 16 (early)
    Biz 3 / Kork Showcase
    A-Trak, The Rub, Flosstradamus, Kid Sister, CX Kidtronik
    SXSW
    Beauty Bar
    Austin, Texas

Saturday, March 17 (early)
    The Rub at The Fader House

Saturday, March 17 (late)
    The Rub & DJ Mel
    Silhouette
    718 S. Congress
    Austin, Texas

Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 (daytime)
    Scion Presents:
    Winter Music Conference Scion Party
    Andy Smith
    MSTRKRFT
    Justice
    The Rub (1PM - 3:30 PM)
    The Raleigh Hotel Penthouse
    1775 Collins Ave. - Miami, FL
    1pm-8pm

Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 (night)
    The Rub w. A-Trak, Chromeo, Blu Jemz, Roger Yamaha, Egg Foo Young & more.
    The Shore Club
    Miami, Florida

Sunday, March 25
    The Rub w. Smalltown DJs, Fort Knox Five & more.
    Miami, Florida
    Details TBA

One more thing and I'm off to Calgary.

The point is...that dudes who water down rap so that they can make money selling it to fools who hate rap suck without end.

Yes, I've been arguing this for years.

As have I.

• I didn't have to remix its vocals over a Tears for Fears instrumental. I didn't have to use a Sade accapella over its instrumental. I just played the main version of the cut in its entirety and asses were duly shooken.

The point is...that dudes who water down rap so that they can make money selling it to fools who hate rap suck without end.

Yes, I've been arguing this for years.

Haha, remember when you said this about Z-Ro's album two months ago?

Never would I have thought that I'd enjoy interpolations of Spandau Ballet's True and Pat Benatar's Love is a Battlefield as much as I now do.

Aren't you an accountant? Keep tabs on your own shit.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    RUBBIES: come back to Montreal , please.

• WYPWYP 28 Posts
    Who would win a DJ battle (vinyl only) between Harvey and Urrrrs?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RUBBIES: come back to Montreal , please.

• however 2 weeks ago, dj premier was our guest at the rub in brooklyn, and that should give you an idea of our feelings about realness.

awesome dude