Stuff that irks you

12346»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean come on you won't eat honey

I got in the strangest argument about this with a vegan. I've never kept bees but I'm pretty sure that the honey is taken from them after they're done with it. My uncle keeps them and he always has too much honey. He wishes they'd make less. Besides, they don't really care whether their hive is in a tree, or a box, or a hole in the ground. They are given a space and they do with it what they'd normally do. Then we eat their waste. There is nothing exploitive about that. Bees don't have feelings. They really don't care. But this vegan guy swore up and down that it was enslavement of a race.

I had this very same debate with an old roommate about twelve years ago.

The same dude also had a friend who refused to eat broccoli and cauliflower because "it has a central nervous system". When I scoffed at this, my roommate responded with, "Well, I haven't done the research yet, but I'm going to give up eating those things temporarily to be on the safe side."

There was also some discussion of drinking/bathing in one's own urine for "purification" purposes, that I think I have successfully suppressed the details of.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I got in the strangest argument about this with a vegan. I've never kept bees but I'm pretty sure that the honey is taken from them after they're done with it. My uncle keeps them and he always has too much honey. He wishes they'd make less. Besides, they don't really care whether their hive is in a tree, or a box, or a hole in the ground. They are given a space and they do with it what they'd normally do. Then we eat their waste. There is nothing exploitive about that. Bees don't have feelings. They really don't care. But this vegan guy swore up and down that it was enslavement of a race.

The same dude also had a friend who refused to eat broccoli and cauliflower because "it has a central nervous system". When I scoffed at this, my roommate responded with, "Well, I haven't done the research yet, but I'm going to give up eating those things temporarily to be on the safe side."

There was also some discussion of drinking/bathing in one's own urine for "purification" purposes, that I think I have successfully suppressed the details of.

Mushroom and tofu are closer to having a central nervous system than broccoli.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Mushroom and tofu are closer to having a central nervous system than broccoli.

I think in their 17-year-old minds, looking vaguely like a brain somehow equated with actually having one.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Dear god. Living with people like that would probably make into an all-out carnivore out of sheer spite.

• i've been guilty of this in the way past with "bikestrut" but lately i cringe when i see a bunch of thread titles with "-strut" at the end. you know something like a thread titled "RASHSTRUT" or "TOOTHPASTESTRUT"

i guess i never cared before but lately these titles have made me annoyedstrut

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Just read through 11 pages gotta throw down.

1. People that chew gum with their mouths open on cramped public transport. I often just turn my ipod up louder so I can't hear them but sometimes there are the ultra loud chewers that smack their lips together so loud I can hear it over my raer mp3's.

2. People that pick their noses in public. Never really been a picker so I find it gross when someone is knuckle deep and pushing further in. I know mad coke heads that do this non-stop. Sometimes if I see someone on the street picking their nose I'll walk up to them and say "does it taste good?" or if they are Chinese "ho sick ah?"

3. People that cut their finger/toe nails in public. I was in McDonalds and this guy 2 tables down keeps staring at his croch, I think nothing of it then I keep hearing this "click.....click" sound. I finaly figure out he is clipping his finger nails. I finish my ice cream and slowly walk over in his direction trying to time my steps with his nail clipper as I'm 2 steps away from him I wait for the "click" noise. Right after I hear it scream out "aaaaarrggggghhhh" and grab my eye and double over pretending that the nail clipping flew in my eye. He just grabbed his shit and walked out and didn't say sorry. These 2 ladies sitting behind him started laughing cause they knew I was joking around.

4. People that spit on the street.

etc etc