Stuff that irks you

Comments

• i feel like a better person for reading this thread

6. people giving me skeptical looks in public places because i could be one of those al-qaeda dudes. i especially get this at or around the pentagon metro stop here in DC. SCREW YOU you idiot, you remind me of Timothy McVeigh. Get over yourself.

my dude. i don't have this problem, but if i did, i'm sure it would much more than irk me.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    would of

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    or is it would have?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    or could it be?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    would of

YES! Contractions re-expanded to incorrect phrases suck!

and one of the most common - and baffling - spelling
    errors: "LOOSE" as in "BORN TO LOOSE"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fuckers that poke their cute ass car onto the road just enough, so that I have to grimace and slightly turn left to dodge it because it's impeding the flow of traffic. When I'm in a grumpy mood, I let 'em have it though. HOOOOONNKKKKK! THA FUCK OUT THE WAY. YOU AIN'T IMPORTANT!

Stupid bitches working the cash registers, who don't say "thank you" and just stand there emotionless, chit-chatting away with their co-worker. This shit's just pitiful.

People who go into detail on every subject matter. GET TO THE POINT. What's your point, how does it benefit me?!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    people who play you a song on CD and then skip to the next song when theres 10 seconds left on the track.

JUST LET THE FUCKER PLAY OUT!

I'm guilty of this....

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    "I could care less."

This one is so easy to understand! If you "could" care less, than you're saying you care at least some amount. This is perilously close to becoming the accepted phrasing to imply the speaker doesn't care at all.

Will you all please help to turn that around? Or could you not care less?

"I could care less."

It is, by nature, a sarcastic phrase.

I have another one: multiple finds threads on the main page. I suspect this happens often when someone wants to make sure people will see what they've purchased and are afraid their post might be lost or unappreciated in a finds thread that has reached two or more pages. When you click on a thread it automatically takes you to the newest unread post, so why not just have one big, continuous finds thread?

"I could care less."

"I couldn't care less" isn't a sarcastic phrase and I can't say I've ever seen or heard anyone use "I could care less" in a sarcastic manner. I think you are only adding to the confusion. Unless you mean people use it ironically, knowing they're phrasing it incorrectly. I don't think many people do that either, though.

"I could care less."

"I couldn't care less" isn't a sarcastic phrase and I can't say I've ever seen or heard anyone use "I could care less" in a sarcastic manner. I think you are only adding to the confusion. Unless you mean people use it ironically, knowing they're phrasing it incorrectly. I don't think many people do that either, though.

One Source:

A bit of history first: the original expression, of course, was I couldn???t care less, meaning ???it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent???. It is originally British. The first record of it in print I know of is in 1946, as the title of a book by Anthony Phelps, recording his experiences in Air Transport Auxiliary during World War II. By then it had clearly become sufficiently well known that he could rely on its being recognised. It seems to have reached the US some time in the 1950s and to have become popular in the latter part of that decade. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only there. It may have begun to be used in the early 1960s, though it turns up in a written form only in 1966.

Why it lost its negative has been much discussed. It???s clear that the process is different from the shift in meaning that took place with cheap at half the price. In that case, the inversion was due to a mistaken interpretation of its meaning, as has happened, for example, with beg the question.

In these cases people have tried to apply logic, and it has failed them. Attempts to be logical about I could care less also fail. Taken literally, if one could care less, then one must care at least a little, which is obviously the opposite of what is meant. It is so clearly logical nonsense that to condemn it for being so (as some commentators have done) misses the point. The intent is obviously sarcastic ??? the speaker is really saying, ???As if there was something in the world that I care less about???.[/b]

"I could care less."

One Source:

A bit of history first: the original expression, of course, was I couldn???t care less, meaning ???it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent???. It is originally British. The first record of it in print I know of is in 1946, as the title of a book by Anthony Phelps, recording his experiences in Air Transport Auxiliary during World War II. By then it had clearly become sufficiently well known that he could rely on its being recognised. It seems to have reached the US some time in the 1950s and to have become popular in the latter part of that decade. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only there. It may have begun to be used in the early 1960s, though it turns up in a written form only in 1966.

Why it lost its negative has been much discussed. It???s clear that the process is different from the shift in meaning that took place with cheap at half the price. In that case, the inversion was due to a mistaken interpretation of its meaning, as has happened, for example, with beg the question.

In these cases people have tried to apply logic, and it has failed them. Attempts to be logical about I could care less also fail. Taken literally, if one could care less, then one must care at least a little, which is obviously the opposite of what is meant. It is so clearly logical nonsense that to condemn it for being so (as some commentators have done) misses the point. The intent is obviously sarcastic ??? the speaker is really saying, ???As if there was something in the world that I care less about???.[/b]

Yes, I've read that before, but it's not a valid explanation. They assume that because it doesn't make sense to say "I could care less" that must mean the speaker is being sarcastic. They ignore the possibility that the speaker might be just plain ignorant or thoughtless about his or her speech. I have honestly never heard anyone say it with even a hint of intentional sarcasm.

Yes, I've read that before, but it's not a valid explanation.

Are you sure you've read it before? Because the next paragraph
    explains why it appears to be historically sarcastic, and compares
    it to such common sarcastic phrases as "Tell me about it!" and anglo-yiddish
    slang like "I should be so lucky."

- I love how sarcasm completely explains it usage, but your argument is
    "no, it's not sarcastic, it's just nonsense"

I have honestly never heard anyone say it with even a hint of intentional sarcasm.

I have.

Are you sure you've read it before? Because the next paragraph
    explains why it appears to be historically sarcastic, and compares
    it to such common sarcastic phrases as "Tell me about it!" and anglo-yiddish
    slang like "I should be so lucky."

- I love how sarcasm completely explains it usage, but your argument is
    "no, it's not sarcastic, it's just nonsense"

Yes, I've read it. And I've been in this argument before (possibly even on this board). The following paragraph offers up a very tenuous suggestion for how it might have originated as a sarcastic phrase, which sounds more like an attempt to justify than explain its usage.

And as a courtesy to me, as I feel we are discussing a phrase here, not having an e-beef, please don't puts quotes around your interpretation of my words. It irks me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

People who go into detail on every subject matter. GET TO THE POINT. What's your point, how does it benefit me?!

Co fucking sign. I work with a guy who's pleasant enough but insists on telling the longest most roundabout anecdotes I've ever witnessed which always, always, fail to have a decent punchline.

It makes me feel like I'm in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Also, outside the humour factor on the Strut, the inability of people to differentiate between your and you're irks me greatly. As does the whole apostrophe s syndrome. It's just common sense for Christ's sake.

Speaking of language, the fact that my microsoft spellcheck at work keeps on reverting back to English (USA) doesn't help matters.

Oh yeah, while we're at it, please please dear god can people stop using 110% to describe their dedication to a task. Heavily irksome.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    needlessly extremely impatient people

people who completely rip off my comedy stylings but cant pull it off AT ALL (90% of the people i know), then attempt to make it their own

quirky motherfuckers

cosine on people spelling it "rediculous"

people who drive in the fast lane but match the speed of the person next to them in the slow lane

people who stay in the fast lane because theyre going like, 5 over

people with lots of speeding tickets/accidents under their belt, calling me, somebody with an absolutely flawless driving record a "bad driver"

my car not having heat

people who enforce rules but not for the reason they were set into place in the first place

people who cant do something well, yet show off their best efforts even though they are not improving

people who dabble in everything but arent good or passionate at one thing

people who like "everything"

hot-shots

most people

people who think anything even the least bit feminine is "fuckin gay"

racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes racists homophobes

CLOSET HOMOPHOBES (nearly every guy in the world)

most things

when people are irked by shit that i couldnt care less about

people who say "i could care less" when they mean to say "i couldnt care less"

people with horrible taste

friends of mine who refuse to move from my hometown for some reason

creepy fuckers

this dude i know who hates women with a fiery passion but loves pussy more than anything, fucking die already, please, everybody thinks knows youre a creep.

the only record worth a damn at a shop being a sleeve-only

many many many more, but i dont let it get to me

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Greyhairs who want to make conversation at the thrift store and start weirding out at the sight of portable record turntables and LPs
    ---
    (Out of the corner of my eye while I'm previewing records, I see a person towering over me but not saying anything for a long time)

Me: Yes, may I help you?
    Guy: WOW! HOLY SHIT! I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THOSE BIG BIRD THINGS BEFORE!

Heh, heh. Yeah, they're useful. (Looking back down at my records)

... (looking back up and seeing him still there, staring)
    Oh man, I can't believe I'm seeing one of those! I bet you have all the K-Tel records and all those expensive Beatles...uh, what do you call them...78s?

Uh, yeah. Sure do. (Looks back down)
    DORIS! DORIS, HONEY! GET OVER HERE! THIS KID HAS VINYL!!!! OH MY GOD!
    ----
    I'm a pretty tolerant person and I understand people have different ways of interacting with others but 1) why are you surprised to see LPs and a toy portable
    record player at a store that specializes in used/vintage items and 2) can you not take the subtle hint that I'm trying to concentrate? I always try to stake out a corner spot somewhere where I cannot be bothered.

Funny little story from the flea market. I had pulled a stack of about 30 or 40 LPs to listen to and this guy walks up on his cell phone and is literally looking over my shoulder (and by this i mean his chest is very close to my back) and proceeds...:

"Yeah..yeah i'm there. On the outside, hey this guy has this portable record player. No, he's listening to records on it. No, its like a little record player...batteries i guess. Yeah, it's pretty weird. (pause) No he's just standing here listening to these records. Yeah {beginning to walk away now} yeah that is pretty wierd."

Which leads me to what irks me most. People in public acting like you aren't even there. This goes for not holding doors, not saying thank you for simple things (like having the door held for them), taking things out of your hands (in my case, a record...in my girlfriend's case a sweater), talking about you to someone else or on the phone like you aren't actually standing right next to them.

It takes great restraint sometimes.

That leads me to my final irking.

People who park like this:

I have begun leaving "parking tickets" on peoples' cars when they do this. I let them know whatever is on my mind at the time with choice, descriptive words.

Basically any disregard for other people when you are out in public really, really gets under my skin.

• Folls who use too many presuppositions. (Eg Politicians) Its far too persuasive and some suckas can't consciously decode all the unconscious deception.

• i agree...i hate when people say "I could care less" when they mean that they "Couldn't care less"

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Motherfuckers on public transport who sit with their knees two feet apart so that you either have to perch on the edge of your seat or challenge them to move the fuck over. Last time this happened I asked the guy to shift and he just sucked his teeth at me. I waited a minute or two and then look at him and said "I guess you like pressing your leg against mine, huh?" He moved it.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    not enough words rhyme with "boing".

Ever noticed how 'boing', 'going' and 'doing' are spelled the same (apart from the first letter obviously) but are pronounced completely different?

But booing, gooing and dooing all rhyme? The mysteries of the English language.

• Which leads me to what irks me most. People in public acting like you aren't even there. This goes for not holding doors, not saying thank you for simple things (like having the door held for them), taking things out of your hands (in my case, a record...in my girlfriend's case a sweater), talking about you to someone else or on the phone like you aren't actually standing right next to them.

Basically any disregard for other people when you are out in public really, really gets under my skin.

This is so true, and so ridiculously annoying! I went to an exhibition last night, and after I had finished checking out the stuff, I was standing outside to smoke a rollie. This guy comes up and asks if I have any tobacco, I say "sure" and let him have some, while I'm giving him the bag, his cell rings, he answers, takes the tobacco and leaves! No eye-contact, no thank you, he didn't even hang around and smoke with me.

Irkworthy.

People who don't make eye-contact when toasting annoys me. Could be a cultural thing.

Girls who wear TONS of Davidhoff perfume.

Computer troubles.

Big one:

People who consume music. They never really listen to music, just have it as a continuous background noise.

Biters.

- J

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Elise threads and every thread turning into an Elise thread.

• The state of health care in the US.

My new property Assesment for 2007, which doubles my fucking property taxes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Since I've been spending some time over at flickr I've found something else that bothers me (for absolutely no reason): The term "Bokeh", where the subject is in focus and the rest is out of focus, i.e. a very shallow depth of field. Its not the technique that bothers me, in fact I find it quite nice, its just the term "bokeh" that bothers me. When somebody comments on a photo and says "nice bokeh" I want to scream. Why not just say nice DOF? Well, because DOF can refer to any DOF, but bokeh refers to one thing. So there is a word for it. And I can't possibly explain why it bothers me. Its a japanese word. Thats fine. I can't put my finger on it, it just irks me for some reason.

Speaking of Japanese stuff, most anime irks me. Don't like 95% of what I've seen.

I slept like shit last night and I'm one grumpy motherfucker right now. All I want is to go back to sleep, not sit here at my desk.

But to the fellow complaining about people asking about good Indian resturants: GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY. I love Indian food, so I'm always on the look for the best shit out there. So I figure who better to ask that somebody from India. I know for a fact that the only way to find 'real schitt' korean food out here is to ask a korean, so I guess I figure the same applies to Indians. Sorry!

God I'm tired. I could fall asleep in my chair right now.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    cosine on people spelling it "rediculous"

Oh yes. Also: "hypocrit." I know the last "e" is silent, but it's still there. Use it. Then, of course, there are the classic contraction fuck-ups. People, learn the difference between and proper usage of:
    their/there/they're
    your/you're
    its/it's

The English language may not be as poetic or logical as some other languages, but it's still pretty nice. Why so many people seem to want to ruin it, I have no idea.

• But to the fellow complaining about people asking about good Indian resturants: GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY. I love Indian food, so I'm always on the look for the best shit out there. So I figure who better to ask that somebody from India. I know for a fact that the only way to find 'real schitt' korean food out here is to ask a korean, so I guess I figure the same applies to Indians. Sorry!

That's me. i have no problem with someone asking me this question after we've already established some rapport and are talking about whatever topics might come up. But if the FIRST time I meet someone the FIRST thing they mention is Indian food, it irks me mightily. Talk to me like a regular person first man, like, real human to human communication you know? You see brown skin and hear an Indian sounding name and immediately it triggers the "curry" light bulb in your head? That's weak.

No need to apologize, all is forgiven.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    But to the fellow complaining about people asking about good Indian resturants: GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY. I love Indian food, so I'm always on the look for the best shit out there. So I figure who better to ask that somebody from India. I know for a fact that the only way to find 'real schitt' korean food out here is to ask a korean, so I guess I figure the same applies to Indians. Sorry!

That's me. i have no problem with someone asking me this question after we've already established some rapport and are talking about whatever topics might come up. But if the FIRST time I meet someone the FIRST thing they mention is Indian food, it irks me mightily. Talk to me like a regular person first man, like, real human to human communication you know? You see brown skin and hear an Indian sounding name and immediately it triggers the "curry" light bulb in your head? That's weak.

No need to apologize, all is forgiven.

If I'm ever in DC I want the Indian food hookup

• People who don't flush the toilet after taking care of their business.

It's a big time problem here on campus. I don't understand it.