Stuff that irks you

Comments

• when i was washing my hands the other day some dude was having an involved and LOUD ass discussion on his cell phone in the stall whilst[/b] taking a loud-ass shit.

Following up "whilst," a stuffed-shirt word (unless you're British), with "a loud-ass shit."

In casual conversation, there is nothing wrong with "while." Saying "whilst" does not make you sound smarter or cooler. It reminds me of this guy I knew in high school who spent three weeks in Ireland and milked his acquired accent for almost three months.

I type "whilst" all thye time. "Betwixt" too. Not because I'm trying to sound smarterer, though. I just like those words better than "while" or "between." They're funny.

Herm

• when i was washing my hands the other day some dude was having an involved and LOUD ass discussion on his cell phone in the stall whilst[/b] taking a loud-ass shit.

Following up "whilst," a stuffed-shirt word (unless you're British), with "a loud-ass shit."

In casual conversation, there is nothing wrong with "while." Saying "whilst" does not make you sound smarter or cooler. It reminds me of this guy I knew in high school who spent three weeks in Ireland and milked his acquired accent for almost three months.

it was meant for humorous effect. apparently lost on the humorless.

i think anyone with even a semblance of social skills would realize that "whilst" is not associated with being cool.

• and i was just about to agree with you on the "could care less" being wrong. so much for that.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Yes, I am aware that most of my peers think "whilst" is an awesome word that's so fun to use, and I do realize my dislike of it (is this the third time I've mentioned it on SS?)is petty, but it annoys the hell out of me. So here it is in the "what irks you" thread.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and i was just about to agree with you on the "could care less" being wrong. so much for that.

Ha! Score one for me!

• My roommate says "mayhaps."

This really irks me.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

- Non 4/4 time signatures. There is no point

Er... yes there is.

Pink Floyd - Money

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

cooking. douches, and slam poetry. wow, what show is this u guys talking about? this sounds like the most awesomest thing to ever bless a television set.

Top Chef

"My food is FUCKING SOIGNE"

Holy shit. I don't have TV. I know that douche from cooking school. Everyone I know who knew him thought he was a douche, and now the whole world knows. What a fucking douche.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

- People who think it is the highly courageous and iconoclastic
    to make derogatory remarks about our lord and saviour Jeezy christ

I just really slowly threw up my torta...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Someone hatted on non-4/4 time? That is mournful.

I can understand "Gimme 4/4 or gimme death" if you are a house DJ cueing up some nasty rave shit. You need to SPELL the B-E-A-T out for the so-rhythmically-knowledgeable clientele. :rolzors!!one!!11!!: Plus it's easy to mix. At least the more savvy DJs used to mix in-key too.

But most other forms of music will serve you up something a little more sophisticated. It's not hard to grasp and probably easier to actually play it on an instrument. Classical and Jazz will serve you plenty of 3/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/8 or 9/8. And isn't jazz often cited as the greatest artistic achivement of the 20th centuty? (although in terms of popularity, the genius of Miles Davis must be dwarfed by the musical intellect of the ying-yangs. Pffft! Because of what? Chrome 20s? Miles drove around NYC in a white Ferrari wearing a turban. 30 years ago.)

Sticking to 4/4 is akin to "Literature beyond nursery books - what's the point?".

• Someone hatted on non-4/4 time? That is mournful.

I can understand "Gimme 4/4 or gimme death" if you are a house DJ cueing up some nasty rave shit. You need to SPELL the B-E-A-T out for the so-rhythmically-knowledgeable clientele.

But most other forms of music will serve you up something a little more sophisticated.
    :

• - People who think it is the highly courageous and iconoclastic
    to make derogatory remarks about our lord and saviour Jeezy christ

I just really slowly threw up my torta...
    im still dying off that

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    outrageous lawyer fees [/b]

and this fool:

"enjoys woodworking, golf and Cardinal Baseball" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    also...pessimistic, Chicken Little individuals, religious and non-religious alike, who are always running their mouth about "the end is near" and how "the world is going to collapse soon, just as it has been foretold". Hurricanes, earthquakes, international conflicts, terrorist attacks and other murderous behavior, volcano eruptions, abnormally hot summers and unusually cold winters have always existed. Get a grip.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The lack of any good record shops within a 30 mile radius.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    on the misuse of the english language tip:

people that say "ATM Machine"

It's an Automatic Teller Machine you dipshit!

people that use the word "Heighth"

Ok. There's Width, Depth, Length, but "Heighth" aint a word, dude.

some people that let mispellings and typing simantics get to you, need to spend a little less time on the web.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

the only record worth a damn at a shop being a sleeve-only
    Huge Co-Sign, Im so sick of going to the goodwill and the only interesting record just beeing a sleeve or scratched to shit. I no longer get my hopes up since 90% of the time this happens.

• on the misuse of the english language tip:

people that say "ATM Machine"

It's an Automatic Teller Machine you dipshit!

people that use the word "Heighth"

Ok. There's Width, Depth, Length, but "Heighth" aint a word, dude.

some people that let mispellings and typing simantics get to you, need to spend a little less time on the web.

in engineering school "heighth" gets used a lot. i said it up the page so cosign on that shit.

"I'm going to go to the ATM machine and use my PIN number to get money to rent some SCUBA gear."

misspellings are understandable, but not knowing the difference between

its/it's
    you're/your
    their/there/they're

or using apostrophes to denote plurals "suzi's all nite donut's"

"pizza's - $5!"

is not.

• - People who feel more threatened by christian evangelicals than jihadists

i must irk you then. america has been hijacked by the latter, but ultimately they're not that different, being compelled by their interpretation of their religion to act in certain ways. i don't condone either. Bring on the hatemail!

- Communinists who propound long debunked nostrums they insist on calling progressive

what the hell does that mean? using big words to sound smart but thus obfuscating your meaning irks me. if you were talking about democrats you might have said so, as it stands it seems that you might have been talking about the USSR. and, strictly speaking, I don't think you can "debunk" a "nostrum."

- Ska

i heard that.

- Bush haters/terrorist supporters

i don't think these are the same group.

- pious vegetarians

word. pious people of all types irk me.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    little bit of a late pass:

redundant questions irk me especially when anything about the question is totally obvious. While making dinner..."what you doing, making dinner?"

lack of cell phone etiquette irks me or lack of manners in general
    holding the door for people is huge..... middle aged ladies are particularly awful

people who don't know how or drink or what to drink

Average girl at the bar:

"Can I get a long island, vodka red bull, washington apple and a sex on the beach?"

Me:

No, we dont have red bull, we dont carry schnapps or pucker and we dont make long islands"

Girl:

" You dont have Red Bul!! Well what DO you have?? What am I supposed to drink then??"

Me:
    " We are more of a classic bar, What kind of alcohol do you like?"

Girl:

"I dont know, something strong, what would you suggest?"

Me:

" A shot of whiskey and a beer, grow up"

Girl:

"I guess I'll just have a vodka cranberry"

Some other things that irk me:

the bush administration

creepy dudes

people eating crunchy things in my ear

people who think they know it all

vegans, anti-fur and pro lifers irk me

Someone mentioned " people who dabble in everything but aren't good or passionate at one thing or

"people who like "everything"

I understand this to some degree but from an artistic stand point its easy for me to move from one trade or skill to the other without losing the passion. I find interest in many many things mechanical and technical and usually Im pretty good at anything I put my mind too.

I do like everything....there is hardly a food I don't like, there isn't any music I cant find an element to appreciate. I often find that I am good at everything, so fuck if it just comes naturally and why not do it all?? Life is too short. There are certain mediums that Im waiting till I am older to dabble in. I'm planning on taking up photography and ceramics in my older adult years...but for now I like painting, writing, making jewelery, making clothes, graphic design...I do it all and Im good at it. Dont hate. I have struggled with not being able to pick one thing and having too many interests but in school they told you to pick one thing and do it forever....fuck that, like I said life is short. I know I'm not going to be rocket scientist...but as an artist I have the freedom take it step by step and test drive evertything. Maybe I havent yet found my calling but at least I'm not afraid to test the waters.

• dealing with doctors offices/health insurance over billing issues is probably the most loathsome task on the planet. I would rather move couches up 6 flights of windy stairs into a new apartment WHILE updating my resume and applying for jobs than deal with these fucking people.

Really, if you just kept track of this shit the first time I paid, THIS WOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE!

Back to waiting.

• Vegans who smoke I mean come on you won't eat honey because the bees are exploited but you will breath smoke in my face at the bar. Trendy fuckers, I wonder how many nats are killed by their cigarette smoke?

• Vegans who smoke I mean come on you won't eat honey because the bees are exploited but you will breath smoke in my face at the bar. Trendy fuckers, I wonder how many nats are killed by their cigarette smoke?

all the vegans in college who smoked and did coke made me want to puke. c'mon- some temple that body is.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Vegans who smoke

Thats funny, I like the ever classic vegan that wears leather shoes because they bought them BEFORE the became a Vegan. That shit is hilarious.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I mean come on you won't eat honey

I got in the strangest argument about this with a vegan. I've never kept bees but I'm pretty sure that the honey is taken from them after they're done with it. My uncle keeps them and he always has too much honey. He wishes they'd make less. Besides, they don't really care whether their hive is in a tree, or a box, or a hole in the ground. They are given a space and they do with it what they'd normally do. Then we eat their waste. There is nothing exploitive about that. Bees don't have feelings. They really don't care. But this vegan guy swore up and down that it was enslavement of a race.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Those 'type the number and letter combination' protection things you get on rapidshare, ebay etc. Especially when you can't even read what the fuck it says, 'is that a g or an 9'

• come on now folks, not all vegans are poseurs or militantly judgmental about what other people eat. come to san francisco and i'm sure you'll find that you can eat a steak in front of a few without getting any kind of asshole looks

• come on now folks, not all vegans are poseurs or militantly judgmental about what other people eat. come to san francisco and i'm sure you'll find that you can eat a steak in front of a few without getting any kind of asshole looks

I have no problem with most vegans its the ones that smoke who piss me off.

I know a few vegans and it's all they talk about. I don't mind really but I can see how it irks people. I never had any of them give me shit for eating meat though.

• Everything Bagels are unconstitutional

unconstitutionally delicious.