the clipse lp is that PFFFFF!

Comments

• I don't understand one lyric in "Chinese New Year". "Give up the cash before I turn you[/b]r Cookie Monster blue"

A.K.A. D.E.A.D.

Dave Chappelle needs to do some sort of "When White Folks Attempt To Decipher Rap Lyrics", it would be like "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't understand one lyric in "Chinese New Year". "Give up the cash before I turn you[/b]<s>r</s> Cookie Monster blue"

A.K.A. D.E.A.D.

Dave Chappelle needs to do some sort of "When White Folks Attempt To Decipher Rap Lyrics", it would be like "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong"

Haha, seriously...and all these twisted 'plex 'phors play a big role in what makes their material so interesting... I think that's what makes The Clipse unique. Not what they're talking about (because I can't justify listening to crack raps all day), but how they go about communicating it. It's code. And, if you're paying attention, everytime you listen, a light blub will pop off.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't understand one lyric in "Chinese New Year". "Give up the cash before I turn you[/b]r Cookie Monster blue"

A.K.A. D.E.A.D.

I recall a kid on a certain other board insisting that Nas had recounted how he had "rose, wiping the blunt ash from my clothes, then broze, only to blow the herb smoke through my nose"... "broze" apparently being the past tense of "breeze".

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    And, if you're paying attention, everytime you listen, a light blub will pop off.

Kinda like the way a fusillade of gunshots might sound like Chinese New Year, you mean?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    complex 'phors

This might could need its own graemlin.

Or perhaps simply: 'plex 'phors

You dudes really aren't ready for this weird science.

How about "44s filled with 'plex 'phors"?

complex 'phors

This might could need its own graemlin.

Or perhaps simply: 'plex 'phors

You dudes really aren't ready for this weird science.

How about "44s filled with 'plex 'phors"?

...spraying you batches with 'plex 'phors/ as I bust and I bust my lyrical 44...

• Speaking of which, can someone explain the album title? I think the quote is "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" right? Its from the bible yes? So is he talking about that girl?

Not sure if this was a serious question, but no its not from the bible. Its a common misquote from a play:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"
    The correct quotation is "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned/ Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." by William Congreve in The Mourning Bride of 1697.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/List_of_misquotations

Speaking of which, can someone explain the album title? I think the quote is "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" right? Its from the bible yes? So is he talking about that girl?

Not sure if this was a serious question, but no its not from the bible. Its a common misquote from a play:

The correct quotation is "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned/ Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." by William Congreve in The Mourning Bride of 1697.

• Just seems like a lot of you folks (and a lot of the "hipsters"...go figure) ride extra hard with these guys and I honestly don't understand why it's warranted.

• the line about pyrex pots creating tightwads like they're Jewish. that line doesn't even make much sense.

get it? tight wads?

does this line really need more-in-carmen style exposition?

right, but listen to the line again. it's like the pyrex pots produce tightwads (of crack presumably), and so they (the pyrex pots) are Jewish. it's just a whack rap lyric. the idea is there, but they fail. much like this album.

tight wads of crack? you lost homie. told you shit was over your head. Dont worry, much of it is over mine to on the first listen, but thats why i like the clipse.

Speaking of which, can someone explain the album title? I think the quote is "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" right? Its from the bible yes? So is he talking about that girl?

nah dude. listen to the lyric again.

• A dozen dozens. If you heard these two on the street you wouldn't be able to walk away.

• Um, no. It's not that I, or other folls not feeling this album, just don't understand it. I understood all the lines that I heard. Yes there were some metaphors that made me think for 2 seconds. No, there weren't any mind blowing metaphors on this album. And besides, whatever metaphors are on this album are WAAAY overshadowed by the simple-minded references to Bapes and Gucci and by the weak choruses.

...and not that I feel that my intelligence has been insulted by the 'Strut or anything (!) or that I resent the suggestion that these "complex 'phors" have gone over my head and that's why I don't like this album, but....

...I challenge anyone on here to present me with a complex Clipse 'phor that I don't understand.

Just seems like a lot of you folks (and a lot of the "hipsters"...go figure) ride extra hard with these guys and I honestly don't understand why it's warranted.

Have you heard "We Got It For Cheap"?

• This is the best rap album I've heard in a long ass time.

I'm not real familiar with Project Pat though... anyone wanna hit me with a link??

DesOne I know what you're talking about with the Hello New World drums. It's the spaces mayne. I'm feeling almost every song on this album. The lowlights for me are Dirty Money and Ain't Cha. I didn't like Trill on the first pass but it's grown on me quite a bit. Highlights are Ride Around Shining and Keys Open Doors. Wamp Wamp and Mr. Me Too would be up there too if I hadn't been listening to them for the past few months.

Clipse has always been a guilty rap pleasure for me. I don't listen to a lot of crack rap, beyond some Ghost, but I've always been a big Clipse fan. As mentioned, it's all about their confident delivery and unique imagery and wordplay. I know you could say that shit and insert any rapper's name in the sentence - it's all personal taste - but something about Pusha and Malice just hits me.

I might feel a little guilty about it, but I'm gonna be bumping this in my headphones for months to come. I can tell already. Album of the year material?? Maybe. Most-Hyped of the year?? Definitely. Worth the hype? Like Ol*ver said... let's let this one marinate in our ears for a bit.

It's soundin' reaaaalll good right now though.

• Um, no. It's not that I, or other folls not feeling this album, just don't understand it. I understood all the lines that I heard.

Yet, here we have several posts where you display a clear misunderstanding of just one line.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Um, no. It's not that I, or other folls not feeling this album, just don't understand it. I understood all the lines that I heard. Yes there were some metaphors that made me think for 2 seconds. No, there weren't any mind blowing metaphors on this album. And besides, whatever metaphors are on this album are WAAAY overshadowed by the simple-minded references to Bapes and Gucci and by the weak choruses.

...and not that I feel that my intelligence has been insulted by the 'Strut or anything (!) or that I resent the suggestion that these "complex 'phors" have gone over my head and that's why I don't like this album, but....

...I challenge anyone on here to present me with a complex Clipse 'phor that I don't understand.

I think there's a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater with all this phocusing on the 'phors.

What I like about this record, and particularly the rhymes, is the way everything is stripped back to the bone in terms of ideas. It's like they've said, we're going to write about this, and we're going to write about it like this, and that's it. The 'phors aren't particularly complex, although I'm prepared to admit they may be complex on a level that I don't really grasp, but damn if they don't come at you thick and fast, and paint a vivid picture in the process. There's no excess on this album at all, and it's the first album in quite a while where I'm immediately thinking, these cats put in some real work on this. It gets better and better with each listen.

• Um, no. It's not that I, or other folls not feeling this album, just don't understand it. I understood all the lines that I heard.

Yet, here we have several posts where you display a clear misunderstanding of just one line.

again, I invite you to peep that line again.

Um, no. It's not that I, or other folls not feeling this album, just don't understand it. I understood all the lines that I heard.

How can we be confidant that we understood his post?

• It's real. There are so many complex 'phors in my posts.

• Antecedents.

So you mean we can post Clipse lyrics and that you will attempt to interpret them?

If you are serious, give me 'till this evening. I'm so game, it's not even funny.

• ...I challenge anyone on here to present me with a complex Clipse 'phor that I don't understand.

So you mean we can post Clipse lyrics and that you will attempt to interpret them?

If you are serious, give me 'till this evening. I'm so game, it's not even funny.

[PHILLMOST] I would pay money to see this. [/PHILLMOST]

I envision levels within levels of (mis)understanding, e.g., Drewn, through sheer force of will, convincing rootlesscosmo that he does not understand a lyric that he does, in fact, understand, or rootlesscosmo convincing Drewn that his own understanding is lacking.

Should be pretty thweet.

• ...I challenge anyone on here to present me with a complex Clipse 'phor that I don't understand.

Sounds like fun, right? Shit, everyone can join in on the complex 'phor interpretations!

There will no doubt be sarcastic/funny interpretations aplenty, but when the smoke clears I think it will still be pretty clear that these guys' lyrics aren't that complicated.

Post some shit!!! I may not get back on the board till tomorrow, but whatever...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

okay, so its from a play. But still, is he talking about that girl? Because obviously they are playing some reference to the original quote. And seeing as how this is hardly a bitter break up album, i cant believe hes actually talking about an angry ex girlfriend or something. help me to understand. Is it just that it sounds cool?

okay, so its from a play. But still, is he talking about that girl? Because obviously they are playing some reference to the original quote. And seeing as how this is hardly a bitter break up album, i cant believe hes actually talking about an angry ex girlfriend or something. help me to understand. Is it just that it sounds cool?

rootless, can Bsides play on your team, too?

• Can someone up Lord Willin'?

since this thread is so entertaining and i brought my hardrive to work....

sendspace.com/file/c10lvb

peace

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Aight fine, im an idiot thats hella i dont care. Could someone just explain to me what the album title means?

Bsides,

What is so confusing about the album title?

The Clipse = scorend by Jive/Zomba.

Now they're mad.

There you go.

• Speaking of which, can someone explain the album title? I think the quote is "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" right? Its from the bible yes? So is he talking about that girl?

funnily enough, I was wondering the same thing as Bsides.

The quote from which the album title is taken is about women in general.

if the Clipse simply lifted the first half of the quote, whilst leaving the subject of the quote mysteriously replaced by an elipse, simply because "you, know dun, that schitt SOUND TIGHT!!" but with nothing to do with the well-understood common meaning of the phrase in popular culture...well then that's pretty lame on the Clipse's part.

...or maybe it's just a 'plex 'phor that's over my head.