NBA 2006-2007.......IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm bowing out for tonight! I (we) could go on .....and on....and on......peace!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm bowing out for tonight! I (we) could go on .....and on....and on......peace!

• but really...

is little nate gonna defend his slam dunk title this year?

the competition:

Gerald Green
    Tyrus Thomas &
    Dwight Howard (?)

My pick :

no big men in the dunk contest plaese!

Amar?? Stoudemire's dunks 2 years ago were

• One good game against the HAWKS and here comes the Jordo talk.....sigh.

Don't sleep on Tyrus Thomas in the Dunk Contest. Remember, Shawn Kemp killed it one year as a big man.

Here's the true test of your basketball fanship: are you gonna watch THE D-LEAGUE ALL-STAR GAME or at least TIvo it? It comes on before All-Star Saturday Night that same weekend on NBA TV.

• but really...

is little nate gonna defend his slam dunk title this year?

I dunno, is he gonna need 14 tries to make it this time?

JR Smith should enter, he's nice with the dunks.

No AI tonight, whew, and raja bell is on fire so far!

No Marcus Camby either. Shit, we almost won. I'm starting to wonder if we will actually make the playoffs this year. It's not looking too good. We need to rally and get it going right now.

I was really hoping to see that AI/Nash matchup last night. Melo had a triple double at least...

• http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=amaechi&prov=st&type=lgns

i remember Amaechi from his days at Penn State and am cool with one of his teammates. he always seemed a little to me. not that there is anything wrong with that...

• Don't sleep on Tyrus Thomas in the Dunk Contest. Remember, Shawn Kemp killed it one year as a big man.

"The NBA is looking to remove Chicago Bulls rookie Tyrus Thomas from the all-star slam-dunk competition and replace him, a prominent agent has told us.

Thomas was fined $10,000 by the league after telling reporters he didn't really care about going for anything but the money.

Thomas said he was "going out there, get my check and call it a day."

"The league is looking to replace him," the agent said."

this kid acted like an asshole before the draft and clearly nothing has changed. and i thought the bulls only drafted boy scouts.

• Don't sleep on Tyrus Thomas in the Dunk Contest. Remember, Shawn Kemp killed it one year as a big man.

"The NBA is looking to remove Chicago Bulls rookie Tyrus Thomas from the all-star slam-dunk competition and replace him, a prominent agent has told us.

Thomas was fined $10,000 by the league after telling reporters he didn't really care about going for anything but the money.

this kid acted like an asshole before the draft and clearly nothing has changed. and i thought the bulls only drafted boy scouts.

i guarantee Thomas stays in the dunk contest.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Don't sleep on Tyrus Thomas in the Dunk Contest. Remember, Shawn Kemp killed it one year as a big man.

That's funny as hell. The league is REAAAAALLY trying hard to establish the NBA as a "corporation of professional and well-mannered athletes" or something. No talking to refs, you will use a cleaner looking ball, you will wear a suit before games, and if we suspect you of remotely wyling out during a game, we will suspend you.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

i guarantee Thomas stays in the dunk contest.

Eff a Tyrus Thomas. Let's hope that Iggy changes his own mind.

• That's funny as hell. The league is REAAAAALLY trying hard to establish the NBA as a "corporation of professional and well-mannered athletes" or something. No talking to refs, you will use a cleaner looking ball, you will wear a suit before games, and if we suspect you of remotely wyling out during a game, we will suspend you.

well, i dont think this is so much a matter of the league trying to clean up its image as much as it is ty thomas being an idoit. for the record, it was the bulls who fined him the 10 grand, not the league, but the league didn't like his comment at all (it was something to the effect of only being in it for the "free money") and will likely replace him. it's just a bad look on his part.

and it's not like the fans are dying to see him. his highlight reel so far this season consists of racking up two touch fouls every five minutes and a deer-in-the-headlights look from time to time ... he just has attitude problems (or at least appears to ... by all accounts he's a hard worker, just doesn't communicate all so well) - i remember before the draft a journalist actually walked out on an interview with him because he was being such a prick, only because they had put a few guys ahead of him on their draft board (b. roy, aldridge i think) ... and the dude was from the same group of scouts who had been hyping him up long before he blew up towards the end of the ncaa season

• Yeah, that Tyrus Thomas shit is wack. This is what you get from 19/20 year olds though I guess.

• From si.com:

Tyrus Thomas has been one of the most difficult rookies to come along in the NBA in years As far back as the NBA draft, league officials said Thomas was abrupt and uninterested when some tried to make conversation with him. There always seemed to be some bizarre sense of entitlement with him, that anything asked of him is a burden, that the media and team and league officials are some nuisance.
    -- Chicago Tribune

• I am embarrased for my team right now. I think I am taking a week or two off from watching them play because this is getting a little too frustrating. We lost in the last second of overtime last night. Carmelo has a game winning opportunity at the end of regulation, gets a decent look and AIRBALLS. Fuck.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I am embarrased for my team right now. I think I am taking a week or two off from watching them play because this is getting a little too frustrating. We lost in the last second of overtime last night. Carmelo has a game winning opportunity at the end of regulation, gets a decent look and AIRBALLS. Fuck.

I tuned in early in the 3rd and had a feeling they were in trouble just keeping pace with NOK. They should have put that team away early. What is it with them, chemistry?

• I really think it's a combination of things. Definitely chemistry. This team has not really had enough time to get settled and they are scrambling to play any way they can to win, and it's not working. They aren't structured enough yet. I also think Carmelo has not gotten back to being himself yet. He is fuckin' up crucial plays left and right, even though he is scoring a shitload and dishing out assists and grabbign a lot of rebounds. his mistakes have cost them three games now that I've seen. Things like fumbling the ball on a fast break in the last 20 seconds and throwing it out of bounds in a 2 point game. Or shooting an airball at the buzzer. That's just not him. Last year he led the league in game winners. Now he can't hit one to save his life.

There's also some issues with stamina, they can play 3 of the best quarters of ball in the league but they get tired and fall apart in the 4th. Could be that some of these guys aren't used ot the altitude yet, but that's really just an excuse.

I'm sure they'll get it together by next season but even the playoffs are a big question mark now for this year.

• From si.com:

Tyrus Thomas has been one of the most difficult rookies to come along in the NBA in years As far back as the NBA draft, league officials said Thomas was abrupt and uninterested when some tried to make conversation with him. There always seemed to be some bizarre sense of entitlement with him, that anything asked of him is a burden, that the media and team and league officials are some nuisance.
    -- Chicago Tribune

the nba is having a meeting today to determine whether they will let him participate in the dunk contest. i think it will be a huge mistake if they pull him out. we are talking about a 20 year old kid who said something stupid...that was slightly taken out of context.

here is the deal with that interview: a beat reporter was asking him all these questions, right after the bulls suffered a close loss and Thomas didnt get any minutes. Thomas was being facetious when he said "i am only in it for the paycheck." the dude makes 3.5 mil a year and the dunk contest will give him 10gs. it was tongue-in-cheek.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I really think it's a combination of things.

J.R. seems to be playing rather poorly, too; terrible shooting last night.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    From si.com:

-- Chicago Tribune

the nba is having a meeting today to determine whether they will let him participate in the dunk contest. i think it will be a huge mistake if they pull him out. we are talking about a 20 year old kid who said something stupid...that was slightly taken out of context.

here is the deal with that interview: a beat reporter was asking him all these questions, right after the bulls suffered a close loss and Thomas didnt get any minutes. Thomas was being facetious when he said "i am only in it for the paycheck." the dude makes 3.5 mil a year and the dunk contest will give him 10gs. it was tongue-in-cheek.

The way Skiles has been playing people this year is so crazy. The Bulls' depth is becoming problematic. Thomas will sit out for games at a time. Michael Sweetney rarely sees the light of day, even though he's probably their best post player. Viktor Kreeapa (sp) started last year a lot for Portland (not that that says much) but plays maybe once every two weeks.

The Bulls need to trade some of this mid-level talent for a good piece and maybe a few scrubs -- dudes who expect to remain on the bench. Sure it's "one of those good problems" but this can't go on much longer.

• I really think it's a combination of things.

Thing is, he's the best 3 point shooter on our team. He does hit them when they count. Not sure if you watched, but he hit the three off the bench last night to tie the game at the end of regulation. It was Carmelo who fucked up on the game winner. JR is only 20 too, and he has grown so much already this year that it's scary. He's bound to have some bad games but he is a contender for most imporved player this year regardless of the Nuggets' record. Kid is nice. He can shoot form the perimeter but he can also drive to the basket, get the fouls, and he can dunk his ass off.

• I really think it's a combination of things.

Thing is, he's the best 3 point shooter on our team. He does hit them when they count. Not sure if you watched, but he hit the three off the bench last night to tie the game at the end of regulation. It was Carmelo who fucked up on the game winner. JR is only 20 too, and he has grown so much already this year that it's scary. He's bound to have some bad games but he is a contender for most imporved player this year regardless of the Nuggets' record. Kid is nice. He can shoot form the perimeter but he can also drive to the basket, get the fouls, and he can dunk his ass off.

he's putting up better numbers, but he's also making it obvious why two teams gave him away for pennies on the dollar.

• But those two teams never let him play, how would they know anything about his potential? He probably played more minutes in his first 20 games in Denver than he played both years previous combined.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I really think it's a combination of things.

Oh, yeah, I should have been clearer: I'm disappointed in the way he's been playing lately because I agree that he's a quality player.

• But those two teams never let him play, how would they know anything about his potential? He probably played more minutes in his first 20 games in Denver than he played both years previous combined.

byron scott let him play plenty in his rookie season, and he came on strong in the second half ( check ). i'm just pointing out that he's got a childish attitude and a questionable work ethic, and his game pretty much consists of threes and flashy dunks .. and that's just not enough. he could end up being a good spot-up shooter alongside melo and AI and find his role doing that. but for now he's like a poor man's ricky davis.

• he is a contender for most imporved player this year regardless of the Nuggets' record.

i cant say i agree ... for one, he pretty much put up more or less the same numbers when he played in new orleans ... i'd also consider him pretty far behind kevin martin, david lee, luol deng, monta ellis, deron williams, and nick collison if he keeps playing the way he has since he became their starter.

• Huh? He's not their starter. Blake is starting at the 2 Smith is off the bench.

byron scott let him play plenty in his rookie season, and he came on strong in the second half ( check ). i'm just pointing out that he's got a childish attitude and a questionable work ethic, and his game pretty much consists of threes and flashy dunks .. and that's just not enough. he could end up being a good spot-up shooter alongside melo and AI and find his role doing that. but for now he's like a poor man's ricky davis.

I honestly don't think you've been watching him this year, but hey, that's cool. He'll have to prove it himself, not much I can say for the guy. He's definitely improved more than you're giving him credit for, though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yo GB, u wanna manke an Avatar bet. 1 week? U think Denver can snap their losing against my Pacers?