missy elliott is a good rapper

Comments

• her first album is easily one of the best albums of the last 10 years and a big part of that is the way she flows over the beats. then again, what do i know, i really enjoy da brat's verse on the second track.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I've never thought[/b] J5, Pigeon John, Atmosphere, Eyedea, Talib Kweli, etc.[/b] to be that great of rap groups[/b]. I've always thought[/b] they were[/b] successful because they were[/b] non-threatening. They've[/b] always been more lame[/b] to me than emcees[/b]. When I used to live in Berkeley[/b], boys[/b] who hated rap always got down to J5, Pigeon John, Atmosphere, Eyedea, Talib Kweli, etc.[/b], particularly those with body-issue stuff & low self esteem. These kinds of boys[/b] never bumped UGK[/b].

Now that I'm working in the co-ed dorms, I'm tortured daily by kids bringing me their demos & bothering me about something called "Skribble Jam".

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pigeon john 'body issues' graemlin so neccessary

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've never thought[/b] J5, Pigeon John, Atmosphere, Eyedea, Talib Kweli, etc.[/b] to be that great of rap groups[/b]. I've always thought[/b] they were[/b] successful because they were[/b] non-threatening. They've[/b] always been more lame[/b] to me than emcees[/b]. When I used to live in Berkeley[/b], boys[/b] who hated rap always got down to J5, Pigeon John, Atmosphere, Eyedea, Talib Kweli, etc.[/b], particularly those with body-issue stuff & low self esteem. These kinds of boys[/b] never bumped UGK[/b].

Now that I'm working in the co-ed dorms, I'm tortured daily by kids bringing me their demos & bothering me about something called "Skribble Jam".

You should start reporting them to the campus cops. "He just won't shut the fuck up about his 'complex multisyllable triple metaphor rhymes.' Oh, and um...he was selling bootleg incense. Take him away!"

Body Image Rap = too next-level to be comprehended

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

You should start reporting them to the campus cops. "He just won't shut the fuck up about his 'complex multisyllable triple metaphor rhymes.' Oh, and um...he was selling bootleg incense. Take him away!"

Body Image Rap = too next-level to be comprehended

Its not all bad. One of the students lent me the DVD to a doc called "Freestyle". That movie was kinda cool. I can't remember his favorite rapper's name, but I do know that he had a message board & that Ms. Damn posted on it & that there was some dude there who became obsessed with her. It'll bug me until I figure out who this is. He's not that albino guy, but he's white & could be in Neta's list. Actually, there was this one kid from the bay who gave me his CD & the title of it was "Incense". Lol.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Actually, there was this one kid from the bay who gave me his CD & the title of it was "Incense". Lol.

Why must you belittle Young Phonics like that?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Actually, there was this one kid from the bay who gave me his CD & the title of it was "Incense". Lol.

Why must you belittle Young Phonics like that?

The dude who gave me his cd was a young Asian guy. He was really into "Instrumental Hip Hop" & DJ Shadow was his idol. He was a nice guy. My favorite thing to do is play these kids snippits of MP3's from Labcabin, something like Dorothy Ashby. They always go nuts & start doing that rap hands thing in my office. Then they run off to tell their producer about it, always warning me not to put anyone else up on those songs.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I can't remember his favorite rapper's name, but I do know that he had a message board & that Ms. Damn posted on it & that there was some dude there who became obsessed with her. It'll bug me until I figure out who this is.

Sage Francis and he is doo doo.

Missy is a better entertainer and songwriter than an "MC".

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I can't remember his favorite rapper's name, but I do know that he had a message board & that Ms. Damn posted on it & that there was some dude there who became obsessed with her. It'll bug me until I figure out who this is.

I don't understand how you can split "MC" from entertainer FALSE DICHOTOMY ALERT

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't understand how you can split "MC" from entertainer FALSE DICHOTOMY ALERT

I don't get this joke

EDIT:

I was reading the above as one sentence:

"I don't understand how you can split "MC" from entertainer FALSE DICHOTOMY ALERT"

not

"I don't understand how you can split "MC" from entertainer.
    FALSE DICHOTOMY ALERT"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it aint no joke
    what MC is not an entertainer.

• I can't remember his favorite rapper's name, but I do know that he had a message board & that Ms. Damn posted on it & that there was some dude there who became obsessed with her. It'll bug me until I figure out who this is.

Some people got it some don't. Big Daddy Kane is an MC, Missy is not. Rakim is an MC, Puffy is not. its not really that difficult. While you can be an MC and be an entertainer, you can not be necessarily be an entertainer and an MC.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Some people got it some don't. Big Daddy Kane is an MC, Missy is not. Rakim is an MC, Puffy is not. its not really that difficult. While you can be an MC and be an entertainer, you can not be necessarily be an entertainer and an MC.
    i think i missed it, which commandment was that? When kool herc found the stone tablets on mount sinai i remember there being only four commandments, and graf is still being debated

• it aint no joke

you're committing the logical fallacy here. just because she's an entertainer doesn't make her an MC.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it aint no joke

you're committing the logical fallacy here. just because she's an entertainer doesn't make her an MC.
    she's rapping. how is she not an MC

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But hey what would rap be w/out ppl seperating THAT REAL SCHITT from CROSSOVER POP BULLSHIT to maintain their supposed CONNECTEDNESS

That dude's album was no worse than anything else the Pharcyde has done.

I dunno about that. But damn, I almost enjoy this album now. Much more than I ever could in the 90's. Minus Brian's rapping of course. But I would listen to this as an Instrumental LP.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    it aint no joke

she's not MC'ing.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it aint no joke

she's not MC'ing.
    plaese to explain

• I can't remember his favorite rapper's name, but I do know that he had a message board & that Ms. Damn posted on it & that there was some dude there who became obsessed with her. It'll bug me until I figure out who this is.

i think i missed it, which commandment was that? When kool herc found the stone tablets on mount sinai i remember there being only four commandments, and graf is still being debated

ha it has nothing to do with that but feel free to construe it however you want to fit your argument. Some people got it and most people don't. Its like anything and its not that hard to understand. Would you call Deborah Harry an MC? She raps in some of her songs? I see Missy being closer to a Deborah Harry than almost any rapper.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you're making it very hard to understand. why is Missy Elliot not an MC

The Deborah Harry example...a joke? Deborah Harry rapped on one record and Missy Elliot has been rapping for a career. Blondie covered "Tide is High" but I don't call her a reggae artist either.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

ha it has nothing to do with that but feel free to construe it however you want to fit your argument. Some people got it and most people don't. Its like anything and its not that hard to understand. Would you call Deborah Harry an MC? She raps in some of her songs? I see Missy being closer to a Deborah Harry than almost any rapper.

Did Debbie write her rhymes?

• deej obviously isn't going to be convinced of anything so why are people still trying to argue

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    deej obviously isn't going to be convinced of anything so why are people still trying to argue
    This is an old thread that was recently bumped.

• you're making it very hard to understand. why is Missy Elliot not an MC

The Deborah Harry example...a joke? Deborah Harry rapped on one record and Missy Elliot has been rapping for a career.

Its not really hard to understand. Missy has not really ever rapped, its been more sing-song with some rhymes here or there and some catch phrases and thats about it. She is about as close to a rapper or MC in my book as a Deborah Harry. But hey if you want to consider Missy an MC or even a talented MC please be my guest.

• deej obviously isn't going to be convinced of anything so why are people still trying to argue

because baiting is fun.

Was your original contention that Missy Elliott is a good rapper or a "good" rapper or even a good "rapper"? I agree with the last two.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    none of her lyrics have ever impressed upon me
    ...except for "before you come over I need to shave my chocha," apparently

"Beep! Beep! Who got the keys to my Jeep? VROOOM!"

I think that ranks right up there with, "Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is!", as one the corniest lines I have heard in a rap tune

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    deej obviously isn't going to be convinced of anything so why are people still trying to argue

Was your original contention that Missy Elliott is a good rapper or a "good" rapper or even a good "rapper"? I agree with the last two.

Perhaps she "sounds" better than she actually "is".

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    missy elliott is a good rapper

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

because baiting is fun.
    you're not baiting, you're arguing poorly