More K in Canada Related, Problems

Comments

• Hope this isn't true.

• This e-mail just came in anonymously:

I'm sorry to be the one to tell everyone this, but those of you who have been ripped off by Kevin Laverty (K. from Canada) will not be seeing your records or money anytime soon. Kevin has had a lot of problems with theft and drugs for some time. He has smoked crack for years and has stolen from all of his employers. This is why a dude of his knowledge is not working in a store - you just can't trust him.

His recent 'Goodwill' find is bogus. He has also been posting fake weekend finds for years. Most of the records he finds are in really shitty condition, and he sells them all as VG+ and above. Mainly he just keeps the money and when asked by PayPal to send proof of shipment, he'll send a postcard with a tracking number on it. I used to buy records from him when he worked at Cosmos, but this was before he was fired for being a rock-star and for holding 3 a.m. parties in the store for all his friends.

Chalk up another lost soul to crack cocaine.

Awww man. This keeps getting worse.

• how depressing if its true...sounds like buddy could be way far gone.

canada has a really decent health care system. maybe this thread (but more realistically) his real world friends in toronto will convince him that he should check into a program.

this whole episode could be his cry for help.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell everyone this, but those of you who have been ripped off by Kevin Laverty (K. from Canada) will not be seeing your records or money anytime soon. Kevin has had a lot of problems with theft and drugs for some time. He has smoked crack for years and has stolen from all of his employers. This is why a dude of his knowledge is not working in a store - you just can't trust him.

His recent 'Goodwill' find is bogus. He has also been posting fake weekend finds for years. Most of the records he finds are in really shitty condition, and he sells them all as VG+ and above. Mainly he just keeps the money and when asked by PayPal to send proof of shipment, he'll send a postcard with a tracking number on it. I used to buy records from him when he worked at Cosmos, but this was before he was fired for being a rock-star and for holding 3 a.m. parties in the store for all his friends.

I don't think I believe this, I've met him in the real world & dude doesn't look like a crackhead. Anything's possible, though. Miss Bassie knows him well; maybe she can shed some light on this madness.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    FUCKIN-A!!!

I've met K and he was good people. This issue concerns me not becuase of the $, but becuase it suggests that he is in some kind of trouble.

It had to be. A damn shame.

Krack in Kanada.

Let's hope he can get some rehab and make reperations for his actions.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

This e-mail just came in anonymously:

I don't think I believe this, I've met him in the real world & dude doesn't look like a crackhead. Anything's possible, though. Miss Bassie knows him well; maybe she can shed some light on this madness.

What is a crackhead is like? I say he was good people, meaning that no matter how good you are, crack will turn you evil. So until one becomes and remains abstinent, they are insane. That is expressed in many ways. And more often than not, these folks are pretty "high functioning" (i.e., you can't tell).

• crackhead my arse. I've phoned him just but it was just answer machine....

crackhead my arse. I've phoned him just but it was just answer machine....

i don't understand your point? crackheads have answering machines.

• What is a crackhead is like? I say he was good people, meaning that no matter how good you are, crack will turn you evil. So until one becomes and remains abstinent, they are insane. That is expressed in many ways. And more often than not, these folks are pretty "high functioning" (i.e., you can't tell).

This thread really got me down this morning.

Let's not get crazy about the drug accusation yet. There are a thousand other reasons for his behavior. It also strikes me that this thread itself would easily bring a vendetta or two out of the woodwork.

Another thing, whoever the fuck this is... thanks for telling us now. But it would have been decent to blast those fake wkd finds, as you say, "years" ago.

Not for nothing, I know that the dude Kevin is looking mega-suspect right now and has alot of 'splaining to do, but shouldn't we refrain from putting anonymous accusations about dude's basehead status on the board? It would be one thing if someone was willing to come forward and state that they had witnessed this behavior, but any vindictive person could have sent this email and here it is for the world to see without any substantiation or any name of the accuser. If dude is hitting the pipe, I hope someone up in Toronto can reach out to dude and get him some help. Also, for the record the only two records I ever copped from Kevin were sent the same week, but one of them looked like Brian Boitano did triple lutzes across that shit.

• tsmtsm 16 Posts
    shouldn't you all just put the trashing of his rep on hold untill you know what the deal is? seriously, some of you are like gossiping bitches up in here, it's embarrassing for you. and why are people acting as though it's any of their business too? far as i can see there's only a small few who have had dealings that didn't go too well. and i'm sure his positive deals outnumber the bad one's by hundreds, maybe thousands. and hasn't someone already explained why he has'nt come on to explain?

let dude explain himself FIRST. i think the owner of this board posting up weak allegations he's a crackhead is pretty lame too.

2 sides to every story.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    wow this is some sad sad shit

i've been off the strut for awhile now..real world moves... and i come back on to see this sorry state of affairs

I hung with K many times when i lived in toronto.. bought records from him, he came to alot of my gigs.. he always seemed like a supper chill / knowledgable dude.

he had regular dealings with loads of dudes i was buddies with and none of them ever mentioned anything ill of the dude...

where's the toronto crew to chime in on this? miss bassie? paul e styrene?

Not for nothing, I know that the dude Kevin is looking mega-suspect right now and has alot of 'splaining to do, but shouldn't we refrain from putting anonymous accusations about dude's basehead status on the board? It would be one thing if someone was willing to come forward and state that they had witnessed this behavior, but any vindictive person could have sent this email and here it is for the world to see without any substantiation or any name of the accuser. If dude is hitting the pipe, I hope someone up in Toronto can reach out to dude and get him some help. Also, for the record the only two records I ever copped from Kevin were sent the same week, but one of them looked like Brian Boitano did triple lutzes across that shit.

I think if he was going to explain himself he would have done it already. I think folks should feel free to make up whatever explination they want as long as it brings them some sense of closure.

Time is now. Come clean. I don't care if he joined a monastery or is eating babies.

Enough is enough.

All this caution is tired--knowing people have been ripped off. Not to mention that this community (whatever that means) has been trashed by this for--how many years.

That even being a remote possibility--requires explanation now.

And sorry all the evidence points to drug problems.

• shouldn't you all just put the trashing of his rep on hold untill you know what the deal is? seriously, some of you are like gossiping bitches up in here, it's embarrassing for you.

actually it looks like most people are just telling about their past experiences with him. and if dude wants to clear this up, he can. the ball's in his court. personally i wish shit like this was brought to light earlier instead of keeping shit hush hush because he's on the board or a cool guy or whatever. if dude's a bad trader/seller, people should know. there's really no excuse for taking a month to send a record, or sending something that's trashed.

I think if he was going to explain himself he would have done it already. I think folks should feel free to make up whatever explination they want as long as it brings them some sense of closure.

People can "make up" whatever they want, but to post it as fact is a whole other story. People need "closure" because some guy ripped them off for some records? That's pretty pathetic in-and-of itself, but unsubstantiated accusations of smoking crack are off the chart of what's acceptable in a public forum that can be viewed by anyone. Laverty's reputation is already permanently ruined (and rightly so), but even supposing that he is a cluck, how about having the basic human decency not to broadcast that shit to the whole world?

Time is now. Come clean. I don't care if he joined a monastery or is eating babies.

Enough is enough.

All this caution is tired--knowing people have been ripped off. Not to mention that this community (whatever that means) has been trashed by this for--how many years.

That even being a remote possibility--requires explanation now.

And sorry all the evidence points to drug problems.

You're enjoying this way too much dude, as evidenced by your faggy "wow that KL thread is really crazy" thread.

i stopped wasting my time with your worthless fucking ass a long time ago.

• i stopped wasting my time with your worthless fucking ass a long time ago.

That's great man, I cry inside because you're not my e-friend. I'll have to find some other dude with a bowlcut to virtually hang out with. Please continue to revel in the misfortune of other human beings, it's a hot look for you.

• The worst thing about all this is just the lack of knowing of what is going on. I mean I'd much rather know that I've been robbed so I can take "measures" rather than not find out or be told. I don't want to fuck him in the ass if he still has good intentions in refunding me or sending me my records.....

What is a crackhead is like? I say he was good people, meaning that no matter how good you are, crack will turn you evil. So until one becomes and remains abstinent, they are insane. That is expressed in many ways. And more often than not, these folks are pretty "high functioning" (i.e., you can't tell).

This thread really got me down this morning.

Let's not get crazy about the drug accusation yet. There are a thousand other reasons for his behavior. It also strikes me that this thread itself would easily bring a vendetta or two out of the woodwork.

listen asch,

i respect you dude, but i'm not going to back down until this is solved.

granted the drug addiction stuff is heresay...but i have known too many addicts in my time and everything points to this.

again, i hope i'm wrong. i'd love to be shamed today. but Kevin is the only person who can do that.

take a look at the beginning of this thread. i posted second and was very cautious--giving him the benefit of the doubt. that is over.

foul alright.

fb

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its never too late if he wants to redeem and pay everyone back

• i seriously doubt the crack smoking theory...if that was the case, why would he trade me a $500 record for some reggae pieces? every trade i did with him he traded stuff he could get serious cash for in exchange for obscure, practically unknown reggae records that i doubt he could get as much money on. he is a fiend for reggae...not crack!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I don't want to give this suspect theory any more legs, but there are functional crack users just like there are functional alcoholics and functional heroin users, not everyone drug addict is a walking stereotye a la Tyrone Biggins. There are lawyer crackheads, model crackheads, teacher crackheads and probably record collector crackheads.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    The worst thing about all this is just the lack of knowing of what is going on. I mean I'd much rather know that I've been robbed so I can take "measures" rather than not find out or be told.

exactly. the time for giving him the benefit of the doubt has passed. and really, let's say he's a basehead, does that make anyone who got jacked feel any better? has the money magically appeared back into your paypal acct?

theft is theft and should be dealt with accordingly, whether it's thru proper channels (cananda has police right?) or by taking it to the streets.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I don't think the basehead story is the right one...
    I've also seen a good deal of addiction in friends
    and relations and that's not the impression I get here.
    But it's just that, an "impression".

• "But that's what makes the world go `round
    The up and down, the carousel
    Changing people, they'll go around
    Go underground, young man
    People make the world go `round"

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    There are lawyer crackheads, model crackheads, teacher crackheads and probably record collector crackheads.

coming soon: "Soulstrut: Behind the Music"

---