new hip hop releases...

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

There is no possible way that this can be good.

anything's possible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    8.5/10

GTFOOHWTBS!!!

i dont think there has been a rap album this year that merits an 8.5.

I disagree.

King - T.I.
    Experience and Education - Sadat X

But lets get back to Block Music.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    getting all mad about my rather random numerical rating is gtfoohwtbs.

How about somebody who actually bothered to listen to the album discusses it.

allmusic guide gave it a 4/5 stars, which is an 8. I added a .5

allmusic guide gave it a 4/5 stars, which is an 8. I added a .5

Where are you from bro?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Chicago.

Chicago.

Lake Forest or the inner city? Hyde Park?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

allmusic guide gave it a 4/5 stars

GTFOOHWT[/b]BS too!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

GTFOOHWT[/b]BS too!!!
    You actually heard it?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Chicago.

Lake Forest or the inner city? Hyde Park?
    North side. Born in the city. Raised in and around it. Whats with the 'cred check'? Where's yr pass to listen to rap music?

GTFOOHWT[/b]BS too!!!
    You actually heard it?

I've heard her. And IMO there's no way her album could possibly be anything but trash.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

GTFOOHWT[/b]BS too!!!
    You actually heard it?

I've heard her. And IMO there's no way her album could possibly be anything but trash.
    Having a discussion with someone who doesn't know what the fuck he's talkin about = classic

Are you saying "Gettin Some" isn't classic?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

She just sounds uncomfortable.

Do you have a lil somethin' somethin' bout as big as her leg?

Maybe it's you who's uncomfortable.

That line does make me uncomfortable, although I'm sure it's provided deej with many hours of prurient enjoyment.

Where's yr pass to listen to rap music?

LOL

Its all good, I'm going to cop this shit tonight.

And 8.5/10

8.5 is almost classic. So in 10 years people will start putting this album on underatted lists?

How on earth am I supposed to know?
    Why on earth does it matter? Its only that good if people think that in ten years? I'm not gambling about how the canon will turn out, i'm telling you what albums i think are dope.

Deej, I'm beginning to think that you aren't built for this. Lists, canons, numerical ratings and taste tests are how we do it on SoulStrut. Now, quick, name your top five female rap albums.

GTFOOHWT[/b]BS too!!!
    You actually heard it?

Having a discussion with someone who doesn't know what the fuck he's talkin about = classic

Not even close.

Are you really that desperate to herald just about anything as a classic?

Trae's Swang is a classic.

Gettin Some just makes me want to pull out an actual Too $hort record.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Still need to sit with: Dilla (but not really blown so far)

E=MC2 feat. Common is my joint for the moment, constant rotation. sick ass beat.

Just got the new Pharo single "Push" 2 days ago, which should blow due to the "Gnarls Barkley Effect"...me likes it...guess what, he is rappin...and singing! B-side features straight rap and even scratches! Hell yeah....

"this is for my blue collar workin beer guzzlin bootleg dvd sellin keep hustlin'"....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    And 8.5/10

8.5 is almost classic. So in 10 years people will start putting this album on underatted lists?

Why on earth does it matter? Its only that good if people think that in ten years? I'm not gambling about how the canon will turn out, i'm telling you what albums i think are dope.

Deej, I'm beginning to think that you aren't built for this. Lists, canons, numerical ratings and taste tests are how we do it on SoulStrut. Now, quick, name your top five female rap albums.

The list was fine. It was guessing what ppl are going to say about this in the future, as if that matters, that I didn't understand.

MC Lyte - Lyte as a Rock
    Missy Elliott - Miss E ... So Addictive
    Foxy Brown - Broken Silence
    Queen Latifah - Black Reign
    Mia X - Unlady Like

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

GTFOOHWT[/b]BS too!!!
    You actually heard it?

Not even close.

Are you really that desperate to herald just about anything as a classic?

Trae's Swang is a classic.

Gettin Some just makes me want to pull out an actual Too $hort record.

I find it difficult to pull out a record when i'm busy dancing with a girl to "gettin some"

I mean fuck, its not like "Gettin Some" sounds anything like Blowjob Betty

I really like the record because it sounds more like 2006 than most rap records everyone else loves this year (ghostface). It doesn't really sound like old records by other artists at all.

And 8.5/10

The list was fine. It was guessing what ppl are going to say about this in the future, as if that matters, that I didn't understand.

MC Lyte - Lyte as a Rock
    Missy Elliott - Miss E ... So Addictive
    Foxy Brown - Broken Silence
    Queen Latifah - Black Reign
    Mia X - Unlady Like

That's a pretty good list. Except Black Reign is a weird choice.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    That's a pretty good list. Except Black Reign is a weird choice.
    Sentimental selection

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    (Not that it isn't good)

5 more...

Gangsta Boo (1st), Heather B, Ms. Jade, Lil Kim ("Hardcore"), maybe the 2nd missy album.

8.5 - GTFOHWTB.

The Gettin' Some Head Remix is pretty good. But the rest of that shit is weak.
    She keeps up w/ the beats but I nothin' she say s sticks in my head.
    The production was alright, nothin groundbreakin IMO.
    My next door neighbor did ring my bell to ask who about who I was bumpin. (She's 16 yrs old).
    Did you up your rating because she from Chicago like you are?

O for 1.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Really? You don't remember the lyrics to "Chicago"? The production on "Candy Paint" isn't banging? Chicago bias doesn't figure into this. If anything thats a strike against it.

Really? You don't remember the lyrics to "Chicago"? The production on "Candy Paint" isn't banging? Chicago bias doesn't figure into this. If anything thats a strike against it.

The production on Candy Paint is very good. And I dont remember any lyrics, but I am gonna sit w/ this album a couple more times.

You owe me $15 dollars -

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Roots = B+
    Pharrell = C-

i listened to both of these albums a few times this weekend. Pharrell's is average at best. I'm one of the few (or maybe even the only) people on this board who liked both N.E.R.D. albums, but after two listens, I still can't get into "In My Mind". There are some songs I enjoy but overall, its just not a quality album.

The Roots albums was also disappointing, since again, its not a good listen all the way through. However, I might agree with the B+ rating since there are a few songs that are outstanding. The song with Peedi Crack, i think its called "Long Time", is one of the best hip hop tracks I have heard in...ummm...a LOng Time.

The Roots albums was also disappointing = B+ rating

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    I agree with Dub, this has been an extremely slow summer for quality releases.

The Shawnna is good "ridin'" music but I wouldn't go as far as saying it will be viewed as anything more than an above-average release in 5-10 years.

I'm a big Pharrell fan but I realize his limitations on the mic so I was expecting great music with average to below-average lyrics and he delivered. I listen to his Gangster Grillz mixtape more than the album.

Personally, I've been listening to Lord Jamar "The 5% Album" and J Dilla "The Shining".

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts

third sight did, though people largely ignored it

Who's Third Sight?

Please be serious.