new hip hop releases...

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    So am I the only one then that thinks trying to come up with the 'correct' number to ascribe to an album or overthinking what ppl will think of the album in 10 years is totally beside the point? There's no need to quantify yr enjoyment.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So am I the only one then that thinks trying to come up with the 'correct' number to ascribe to an album or overthinking what ppl will think of the album in 10 years is totally beside the point? There's no need to quantify yr enjoyment.

If Shawnna is an 8.5 to you, FINE. Do You.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Deej, statements like this force me to lower your poster rating to a 7.5 (out of ten).

i dont think there has been a rap album this year that merits an 8.5.

third sight did, though people largely ignored it

Please be serious.

Just to clarify: I have no idea what this is, but I would like to know how many references to "lyrically opening the third eye" it contains.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Deej, statements like this force me to lower your poster rating to a 7.5 (out of ten).
    I give this post a 2.6 (out of 7.2)

I would hate to live in a world where there were no 8+ rap albums in the past couple years.

I only listen to albums that are 10/10

I only listen to albums that are 10/10

NAME ONE?

I would hate to live in a world where there were no 8+ rap albums in the past couple years.

Deej, thinking Shawnna is crap is not the same as thinking all new rap is.

You're not on Okayplayer.

As much as you might like to see yourself as the champion of contemporary rap bringing it to the old fogies, you're really just a fan of a chick that can't actually rap.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

There have been plenty...just only IMO TI's King and San Quinn's The Rock that contend for it this year.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Deej, thinking Shawnna is crap is not the same as thinking all new rap is.

You're not on Okayplayer.

As much as you might like to see yourself as the champion of contemporary rap bringing it to the old fogies, you're really just a fan of a chick that can't actually rap.

Dude I'm well aware I'm arguing w/ (some) dudes who actually like new rap. I just think yr wrong a lot. Esp. about Shawnna. (the 'no 8+ albums' comment isn't directed at you)

I don't know why you think Shawnna can't rap, thats kind of absurd. She's had a rep in Chicago for being a really good rapper (Infamous Syndicate anyone?), and had one before she got picked up by DTP. She's not some cipher and i don't know how anyone who's heard that album is gonna front like she has no skills. A friend of mine saw her open for some other rappers and said she ate them alive on stage, she's really skilled and charismatic.

I mean if you disagree whatever but don't act like she's 'obviously' wack or something.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    8.5/10

GTFOOHWTBS!!!

-keithvanhorn

thats who I'm talking about. zzzz

8.5/10

GTFOOHWTBS!!!

-keithvanhorn

Why is that so hard to grasp?

IMO TI gets an 8, San Quinn gets an 8, and maybe Donuts gets a 7.5.

So what that nobody has reached 8.5 staus yet this year?

It shouldn't hurt your feelings.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    8.5/10

GTFOOHWTBS!!!

-keithvanhorn

Why is that so hard to grasp?

IMO TI gets an 8, San Quinn gets an 8, and maybe Donuts gets a 7.5.

So what that nobody has reached 8.5 staus yet this year?

It shouldn't hurt your feelings.

Donuts is pretty boring, and I like Jay Dee. I don't give a shit about assigning numbers. But I think TI, B.G., Shawnna, Vakill, da backwudz, ray cash, papa reu, yo gotti, keak da sneak, san quinn, bailey, do or die, e-40, bailey, people under the stairs, juvenile, suga free, dogg pound, scarface and pastor troy all released albums worth checking out, albums that i enjoyed this year.

Dudes i'm not asshurt about this, relax.

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts

Please be serious.

Just to clarify: I have no idea what this is, but I would like to know how many references to "lyrically opening the third eye" it contains.

man, that's even more ignorant than the contents of your cd changer by the sounds of it

Please be serious.
    man, that's even more ignorant than the contents of your cd changer by the sounds of it

8.5?

Please be serious.

-------

You mad?

I don't give a shit about assigning numbers. But I think TI, B.G., Shawnna, Vakill, da backwudz, ray cash, papa reu, yo gotti, keak da sneak, san quinn, bailey, do or die, e-40, bailey, people under the stairs, juvenile, suga free, dogg pound, scarface and pastor troy all released albums that >DONUTS.[/b]

-------

You mad?

as in angry or crazy?

if you're talking about "third eye" as in bustin nuts, you're probably close to the truth

personally, i wouldn't find it easy to give an 8.5 to any lp without a dj on it, but that's my personal feeling. one produced 50% or so by d-styles is pretty hard to beat

and word for me it's 8.5 no question

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't give a shit about assigning numbers. But I think TI, B.G., Shawnna, Vakill, da backwudz, ray cash, papa reu, yo gotti, keak da sneak, san quinn, bailey, do or die, e-40, bailey, people under the stairs, juvenile, suga free, dogg pound, scarface and pastor troy all released albums that >DONUTS.[/b]

But maybe I just find 'instrumental hip-hop' overrated.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    getting all mad about my rather random numerical rating is gtfoohwtbs.

How about somebody who actually bothered to listen to the album discusses it.

allmusic guide gave it a 4/5 stars, which is an 8. I added a .5

The kid does have a point. You've developed quite a hard-on for the dude. It's almost seems intimate.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude, trying to talk about rap music on soulstrut is pointless.

Dude's have such a narrow idea of what rap is 'supposed' to be about that anything that doesn't fit the trap/crack/slap/snap category is automatically worthless, until "Da Hood" where "Real Niggaz" live start listening to it, then all of a sudden its like "well maybe I should give it a second listen" or "thats that REAL SHIT now! My tastes have changed!". Trend Followers = music fans? No, it equals corny white dudes with rap blogs that claim authenticity because sometimes they drive by the hood and know a puerto rican dude that they call their "black friend". Fucking posers. And I don't name names because you are all one person to me.

Dude's have such a narrow idea of what rap is 'supposed' to be about that anything that doesn't fit the trap/crack/slap/snap category is automatically worthless, until "Da Hood" where "Real Niggaz" live start listening to it, then all of a sudden its like "well maybe I should give it a second listen" or "thats that REAL SHIT now! My tastes have changed!". Trend Followers = music fans? No, it equals corny white dudes with rap blogs that claim authenticity because sometimes they drive by the hood and know a puerto rican dude that they call their "black friend". Fucking posers. And I don't name names because you are all one person to me.

The ass-hurt radiating from this post just cracked my monitor.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Never mind, misread.

And I don't name names because you are all one person to me.

i don't mean to belittle your point (no ayo) but you made over 5000 posts to one person? surely that's stalking at the very least

The ass-hurt radiating from this post just cracked my monitor.

Who is the queen ant controlling all you little ants? I will find her and squish her. I will squish the puppetmaster!

Lets hope a broken monitor doesn't keep you from posting in blackface, sillycakes.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Haha its on now.

Nah I dont disagree with you. There's something totally offensive about anyone who thinks they are 'correctly' representing rap music or something. Like T.I. said,

"Critics ain't lived it they clueless,
    they followin your lead when they bumpin your music."

I don't exempt myself from this. But you have to remember, before trendy dorks starting paying attention to street rap, new street rap had like no critical profile outside of its (large) fan base. I don't think taking street rap seriously is a bad thing, inherently. Although what'll happen eventually is the same thing that happened to every. black. artform. ever. And blues artists that were once 'dangerous' became safe 'respectable' collectors music, and then funk, and old school rap, and early gangsta rap, and wu-tang, etc.

cornballs will be cornballs though. And again, I don't exempt myself from this. I do think there's a difference between taking music seriously and seeing it as yr own racist fantasy or whatever, though the difference is not so easily defined all the time.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

As soon as rap music began getting serious play on commercial radio, music journalists who had never listened to hip hop, suddenly began critiquing it. At that point, "conscious rap" was getting all the acclaim, and i think the "authentic rap journalists" wanted to distance themselves from the run-of-the-mill white music critics who were seemingly disconnected from the streets, and perhaps supporting conscious rap because it was more digestable to them.

Since that time, i think there has been a drastic change in the way rap music is critiqued. The acclaimed records are less about merit and more about what is "authentic" and what critics think the streets support. I'm not arguing that some of the acclaim is well deserved (TI, lil wayne), but I also think it is OBVIOUS that rap critics use a curved grading system when looking at music that wasn't intended for their office speakers (village voice writers stand up!).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ^^^OK I think I'm a little confused by what yr arguing here though. Some people shouldn't write about rap? What if they like it? Just like rap artists don't get to select their audience, they don't get to choose who writes about their music (nor do their fans)(or soulstrutters). That doesn't mean we can't clown someone who writes poorly or screws up or makes mistakes, but I don't think you can just say 'you don't get to have an opinion on this because of who you are.' Who they are needs to be taken into account when writing, maybe, but you can't be a gatekeeper, not because it isn't 'right' but because trying is sort of useless. Herbs will be herbs. etc.

Instead I guess everyone should follow your lead and treat rap as nothing but an ongoing joke.

Of course that's not simultaneously racist and self-deprecating in the least.

Yes, Dizzy, I'm telling you to fuck off.

Instead I guess everyone should follow your lead and treat rap as nothing but an ongoing joke.

Of course that's not simultaneously racist and self-deprecating in the least.

Yes, Dizzy, I'm telling you to fuck off.

Considering the source, that doesn't really burn.

My only problem is that I still judge rap by the same standards that I did 5 and 10 and 20 years ago.... Lyrical ability and production quality. By default this now makes it difficult to find "new rap" enjoyable. I find "talent" to be more important than "Swagger". More important than "Fashion" and how much crack you've sold or how many times you have been shot, or how much a rapper beleives his own fantasy. If I were 15, this would probably persuade me a lot more, but at 30 I'm only interested in the music, not who's poster would look thweet on my wall.

I'm not as prudish as it seems, and in fact I'm not even that easily offended. But I find myself squirming in my chair sometimes they way certain white members of this board toss around slang and rapperisms as if its some cutesy way to look clever. Like the great white anthropologist studying the "savages" and showing off how much you know.

If black soulstrutters find my attitude racist then I would have thought I would have heard it from a... wait for it... black soulstrutter by now instead of random WHITE people who think they know the time.

Maybe I haven't gotten called out because the only people I'm "offending" are wacko lizard people schizo fucks like yourself. Take your tin foil hat off and look around. Real life might actually be more enjoyable than the fantasy world you've created for yourself.