new hip hop releases...

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i guess east coast rappers are the only ones who have enough balls to say that the emperor is wearing NO clothes.

What are you talking about? Seriously.

turn on the radio

Again: what are you talking about?

A bunch of forty year olds who are mad that young people have no interest in their music?

I wanna know who these courageous voices of dissent are.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i guess east coast rappers are the only ones who have enough balls to say that the emperor is wearing NO clothes.

turn on the radio

A bunch of forty year olds who are mad that young people have no interest in their music?

what i was talking about had nothing to do with their identity. you wanna rip the messengers and not discuss the message (which was only slightly related to the one sentence that you distilled), feel free. i've never heard you talk about bitter rappers. sounds illuminating.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i've never heard you talk about bitter rappers. sounds illuminating.

I have, and its not. No offense.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dudes.

Please to use concrete examples. We have no idea what yr talking about.

kthnxbye

Dudes.

kthnxbye

Lurk more!

Dudes.

kthnxbye

consider yourself to be said example. if this were ten years ago, you wouldnt be on this board giving shawnna's album an 8.5.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    But thats because Shawnna was probably in high school ten years ago.

And ten years ago, I was 13.

turn on the radio

what i was talking about had nothing to do with their identity. you wanna rip the messengers and not discuss the message (which was only slightly related to the one sentence that you distilled), feel free. i've never heard you talk about bitter rappers. sounds illuminating.

LOL, there is no message beyond dudes whining about the fact that they no longer have an audience.

This is nothing new and certainly not indicative of any sort of larger shift in rap. That's just how the game goes: you have a run of a few years, and then you become a bitter old dude.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    its not far-fetched to think that a white journalist might like street rap, but i'm not arguing that a movie critic can't appreciate a western because he was never a cowboy. my point is that these critics are not using the same grading scale...seemingly because they are scared of being branded a racist. i guess east coast rappers are the only ones who have enough balls to say that the emperor is wearing NO clothes.

I really still can't make heads or tails of this argument. Apparently I like Shawnna's album because I don't want to be considered racist? Then please to explain how faux rillz and I can disagree so strongly about the album's quality, if we're both apparently guilty of this twisted street-fetishizing logic? Can you pinpoint where I rest my argument on the album's popularity in the STREETS? I use the clubs as a defense only when someone argued that I was alone in liking "Gettin Some," but the clubs =/ the streets, and I wasn't trying to justify my enjoyment, just show that I wasn't some crazy dude with weird-dude suspect taste for liking a successful pop single.

deej- my point was that ten years (or so) ago, when dj and hip hop forums were in their infancy, there was much more critical discussion of lyrics and production. nobody was talking about what was hot in the clubs...maybe because people on internet forums in 1996 were mainly geeks...i dont know. now people, such as yourself, jump to defend "gettin some" as a classic rap song. i didnt mean to single you out, but i think this relates to dizzybull's point about people blindly co-signing what they think is hot in the streets.

faux- i was referring to the discussion in response to dizzybull's post.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    See its funny I think yr actually kind of right that SOME people and publications are guilty of this...I think yr wrong to just blanket the blame everywhere though, there are plenty of discerning rap fans out there. I certainly don't cosign every track that gets popular in clubs or on the streets. I think "Gettin Some" is a dope song because I like listening to it. I don't like listening to "U&Dat" at all and while I enjoy "Its Goin Down" because its fun to be in a crowd/club/party when it comes on, and the hook is fun to recite, I don't think its touching "Gettin Some" as far as quality. But thats just my take and I know lots of people disagree with me.

I really don't think that the way people argue about rap has changed all that much since back back then then but I wasn't on the internet then so I can't really say for sure.

Maybe dorks just have a problem with getting some head.

I use the clubs as a defense only when someone argued that I was alone in liking "Gettin Some," but the clubs =/ the streets, and I wasn't trying to justify my enjoyment, just show that I wasn't some crazy dude with weird-dude suspect taste for liking a successful pop single.

that's the other issue. there is something suspect about a club full of white people chanting the lyrics to a hip hop song, when the intent resembles mockery and not appreciation. a month ago i had a black bouncer tell me that he gripped up a white dude after i had played "juicy" and the kid was literally yelling out the n word during the chorus. maybe i'm part of the "problem" that i speak about. playing a night full of hip hop to rich white kids paying for bottle service, lampooning the music, shouting out the N word.

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    i hear/read cats like paul wall & bubba sparxxx using the n word all the time. wtf?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't like going to hip-hop clubs full of white kids doing what we call "getting crunk in a safe environment" (or, alternately, "going dumb in a safe environment") like the kind you describe above so I just kind of steer clear. No disrespect to the friends of mine who play to such crowds, talented dudes need work. But it makes me feel weird and kind of gross. If I'm going out, these days, I'm far more likely to check a grown mixed crowd Spinna/Medina/MAW/etc kind of gig.

As for the rest of this discussion, dudes seem to be alleging all kinds of shit about folks that they don't really know.

It all actually reminds me of when I was in high school. That was the last time I recall anyone giving a shit about how someone else spoke or what kind of music they were into. I mean, grow up.

Gary: there's all kinds of people in the world and just because you're a white guy who listens to polka, lives in San Diego, says stuff like "AWESOME!" and dates a Korean girl doesn't mean that you can't be nice to a white guy who lives in Harlem, dates a Black girl, listens to Young Joc, and says stuff like "yahmeen".

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    i hear/read cats like paul wall & bubba sparxxx using the n word all the time. wtf?

Quotes, please. I can't recall hearing Paw Waw say that.

Quotes, please. I can't recall hearing Paw Waw say that.

There was an interview with Bubba Sparxx in XXL (or possibly on the magazine's website) in which the word was attributed to him, but a retraction was later printed.

I'd also be surprised to hear Paw Waw say it.

he said it on the barber shop thing on mtv

surprised me too

There was an interview with Bubba Sparxx in XXL (or possibly on the magazine's website) in which the word was attributed to him, but a retraction was later printed.

word, it was XXL i read it in but hadn't seen the retraction.

following the retraction i retract my mention of the pre-retraction statement. (that was retracted and therefore not stated)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't like going to hip-hop clubs full of white kids doing what we call "getting crunk in a safe environment" (or, alternately, "going dumb in a safe environment") like the kind you describe above so I just kind of steer clear. No disrespect to the friends of mine who play to such crowds, talented dudes need work. But it makes me feel weird and kind of gross. If I'm going out, these days, I'm far more likely to check a grown mixed crowd Spinna/Medina/MAW/etc kind of gig.

Now this is another discussion entirely, and a very heavy one. It strikes me to the core.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what the hell happened to this thread

i rarely go to clubs unless i'm playing em these days. that's probably more family related than anything else, but i couldn't confidently say i'd go more often if i didn't have a family

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Mostly-white clubs in being shitty shocker!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    eh fuck it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    good job guys. That was entertaining

what the hell happened to this thread

A triple shot of love, non sweetened, with a splash of creamer. Thank you, drive by. I mean through. I confuse my gangster terminology with my service industry terminology. Common mistake, I'm sure.

As for the rest of this discussion, dudes seem to be alleging all kinds of shit about folks that they don't really know.

It all actually reminds me of when I was in high school. That was the last time I recall anyone giving a shit about how someone else spoke or what kind of music they were into. I mean, grow up.

i disagree. the last paragraph of what you wrote has everything to do with the first. assuming you are close to 30 or older, when you went to high school, hip hop was not the mainstream, and if you were a white dude who dug it, you probably got clowned. i assume that doesn't exist today, and for the better, but the authenticity doesnt exist either. if u dug hip hop in the 80s, and werent undergoing an identity crisis, than you probably had a real appreciation for the music. now, it seems like the same assh*les who called white dudes wiggers just for liking black music, are buying rap albums, but for the image, not the music. most of the people i dj for are in their early 20s and i notice a huge difference in how they act. there is a lot more yo-yo-yo'ing and identity-faking, and i cant imagine that's a good thing. if white people really appreciate all this street rap and regional music (for which they know nothing about), than i'm dead wrong. however, time will tell how current rap gets remembered. remember, white people are the ones who are propelling street rap to the top of the charts. they are also all over message boards, myspace and their own social settings, using the same slang thats in the albums they buy. if people wanna act out a fantasy, ok, but the whole concept seems like the kill-whitey mockery that people unanimously agreed was complete bullshit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    if white people really appreciate all this street rap and regional music (for which they know nothing about), than i'm dead wrong.

At this point, I have to ask where you live? Where did you grow up? Because I can't fathom why you insist on assuming that white people can't be intimately attached to street/regional rap.

if white people really appreciate all this street rap and regional music (for which they know nothing about), than i'm dead wrong.

I can't fathom why you insist on assuming that white people can't be intimately attached to street/regional rap.

they can, but they mostly aren't and can't possibly be. who do you think is responsible for the millions of rap albums, ring tones, videos, etc, being bought? paul wall and his extended family.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just mixed lil keke into nelly furtado

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i just mixed lil keke into nelly furtado
    '

H-I-P-S-T-Arrrrrr