top 10 german funk

subsub 311 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
just started to discover the funk music of my home county. drop some top 10 if you like to, to give me some guideline what to look for.by the way: does anyone have some info on the "die melon men"thanks!jannis

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    just started to discover the funk music of my home county. drop some top 10 if you like to, to give me some guideline what to look for.

by the way: does anyone have some info on the "die melon men"

thanks!

jannis

shit! my coputer crashed right after i wrote a 500+ word answer...

are we talking about Funk or Funky Jazz/Rock/Beat/Prog/Kraut/Schlager/libraries/soundtracks... ????

Die Melon Men was a Beat band that covered Soul songs from time to time... there are some other German Beat bands with a dead funky sound. Some are covering Soul songs. Some play GOOMLW. Even The City-Preachers played funky tunes.

There are so many funky German Jazz records. I don't know where to start. There are even private pressings with Crusaders cover songs or Spinning Wheel covers. There are half Turkish half German Jazz records with James Brown songs...

• subsub 311 Posts
    sounds good. my personal focus is on funk, soul, jazz records though im interested in everything else thats worth a listen..

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

??

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    sounds good. my personal focus is on funk, soul, jazz records though im interested in everything else thats worth a listen..

you need to tell me what kind of records you like. i can't mention every single record that's good and funky. let me know what you got already... what kind of musicians you already know...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

nah... the early ones... but it's the right band...

it's really strange. i hardly ever find good (but common) german jazz or soul records. the chances to find good US Soul or US Funk are much higher over here. i have yet to find 99% of all good german kraut, jazz and prog records...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

nope. don't tell me that you got the original. there's a crackling sound in the beginning of your sound clip. i don't think that record really excists... noone i know has ever seen it. sounds like a post et cetera - s/t studio session or a pre-passport recording.
    do you know the peter trunk lp?
    there are soooooo many good german jazz records. people hunting after the newly hyped turkish and japanese records are lazy... there are much better records to be found. records with style and class. skilled musicians playing great music.
    i can't believe schultze went on to play with snowball. worst band ever. curt cress and schultze should have been able to record much better stuff.

nah... the early ones... but it's the right band...

it's really strange. i hardly ever find good (but common) german jazz or soul records. the chances to find good US Soul or US Funk are much higher over here. i have yet to find 99% of all good german kraut, jazz and prog records...

that's true. i got some german jazz records from my father (like Volker Kriegel) but i never see those records around. And the well known (i guess they are?!?) Manfred Krug LPs mostly go for 30???+ (even at ebay i had to pay 10??? each for no 1 and 2)
    The only records you see everywhere for less than 5??? are the common Passport LPs.

Modern Soul Band is ok, i would say. Nothing facemelting, but i've seen lots of stores where they also go for 30-40???. Don't ask me why...

• ScopeCGNScopeCGN 163 Posts
    No Prob,
    here is my guide to get deeper in the field:

1. Go buy the Funkfvergn??gen CD's Pt. 1-3 by Hype and Katmando
    2. Take a listen and write down what songs you liked (Timecode)
    3. Ask Grope, Mikel Night, Olski, Hawkeye, Sicky Dojah and a few other german heads about what it is
    4. Go shopping :-)

I think that's a good start...

Peace from Cologne / Germany,

Scope

PS: Grope, did you mention to him the whole field of great german library records?!

Hey Chiller was geht :-)

check mal www.ostbeat.de beste Seite f??r AMIGA-related stuff.
    Super site to check east-german label releases...

Best,

SC

Hey Chiller was geht :-)

check mal www.ostbeat.de beste Seite f??r AMIGA-related stuff.
    Super site to check east-german label releases...

Best,

SC

Besten Dank!

btw: does anyone know which Manfred Krug LP has the track "morgen"?

didn't see it listet there...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Modern Soul Band is ok, i would say. Nothing facemelting, but i've seen lots of stores where they also go for 30-40???. Don't ask me why...

the first two rekkids are cool. unless you don't understand jazz.

PS: fuck german schlager records with breaks...

the first two rekkids are cool. unless you don't understand jazz.

don't get me wrong, i'm not hating. I just wouldn't pay 30??? for them.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

3. Ask Grope,

i don't know much about german funk. i never listened to funkvergn??gen. i don't buy mixtapes. i can't dj. i don't produce. i don't go to clubs. i don't buy breaks... i don't know much.

PS: libraries are still cool though.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

KRISTIAN SCHULTZE! Great!

i don't know much about german funk. i never listened to funkvergn??gen. i don't buy mixtapes. i can't dj. i don't produce. i don't go to clubs. i don't buy breaks... i don't know much.

You is still good folls :-)

SC

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

nope. don't tell me that you got the original. there's a crackling sound in the beginning of your sound clip. i don't think that record really excists... noone i know has ever seen it.

RJD2 likes them german schlagers w breaks :-)

SC

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I heard of another stupid idotic producer who used this louzy record.

Peace Now
    Hawkeye

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I think they are overrated. I have both LPs of them but its not my taste. Diamond D is hard after the second LP of them.

If you want to check for some german releases check this betalounge mix I did, I played some german tunes mixed with other stuff, tracklist is also there.

SOME GERMAN FUNKYNESS

Peace
    Hawkeye

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

don't get me wrong, i'm not hating. I just wouldn't pay 30??? for them.

but they are worth 30 euros. people in london are even buying the second one for 90GBP. great music. i'd skip on 30 one euro records just to buy the modern soul band. well, maybe not 30. 20 sounds better.

at least, it's a 20 euro record that's worth its money. interesting music.

upskiboo, you're
    where did you find that rekkid? even my local super-dealers have never seen it. denmark must be good... you got the carpenbourg too, right?

the staff carpenborg for a $, but not the overdrive, unfortunately...... i just took the pic from here:

http://my.opera.com/tibolano/blog/show.dml/248098

peace.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts

the band isn't german. that's why i was asking... what kind of music is he looking for? german pressings, german bands, german jazz, german breaks, german "funk". there's a german pressings of the village callers lp. go figure... i don't know where to begin...
    Begin by listing the top 10 german funk records recorded by german bands... if you can.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Ras, that's from the Crippled Dick reissue you got for your birthday a couple of years ago, right? I'm seriously considering buying that one too. Good stuff. Rhodes + ring modulator = a good combination.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    what about Randy Pie???

• chrischris 287 Posts
    1-10. soul-saints orchestra "santa's got a bag of soul"

Ras, that's from the Crippled Dick reissue you got for your birthday a couple of years ago, right? I'm seriously considering buying that one too. Good stuff. Rhodes + ring modulator = a good combination.

yeah, i was just fuckin wit mr Grope (hope i didnt upset you too much sir )

now what i would really like to see is Grope's TOP 10 RARE CAN-LIKE KRAUT RECORDS that no one knows about...!

enlighten us!

• olskoololskool 77 Posts
    to satisfy your range I'll put another one to the list.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Begin by listing the top 10 german funk records recorded by german bands... if you can.

uhm, it's like i said... i don't think that there are any true 60s- 70s german funk records.

i won't list my top ten, because i'm no funk expert.
    i buy jazz most of the times. i could list some groovy german jazz records, but no fast braekbeat funk. there are some other people on here who could list a top ten.

my favorite german "funk" record would be the kadri six record. with the factor. sung in english. by a turkish woman.