top 10 german funk

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    they didn't put dancing girl on there?! with the big drum break? it's one of my favorite drum breaks. such a heavy sound. i love that song. the singing gets annoying after a while, but the first minute is absolutely fantastic! the should have put that song on the comp...

On which is the "sing a simple song" version? The self titled? and the "dancing girl" ? on the "manilla thriller"? Didn't even know about them...sheesh...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    they didn't put dancing girl on there?! with the big drum break? it's one of my favorite drum breaks. such a heavy sound. i love that song. the singing gets annoying after a while, but the first minute is absolutely fantastic! the should have put that song on the comp...

On which is the "sing a simple song" version? The self titled? and the "dancing girl" ? on the "manilla thriller"? Didn't even know about them...sheesh...

both on s/t

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think Grope is referring to "Keep On Dancing". It's on the self-titled as is "Sing A Simple Song" (strangely credited to Pepper/Watt and not Sly Stone).

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

??

wow! i just noticed that i worte sth about the modern soul band in my first reply that got lost while my computer crashed. i didn't even mention the band in my second reply. we were thinking about the same music though (i was listing the first two modern soul band records). crazy! nice one, cHiller.

yeah, the keep on dancing track... on the first please lp. thanks, m_dejean.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    maurice vander, right?

Christian Vander

maurice vander was his father, and also a jazz musician

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    maurice vander, right?

Christian Vander

maurice vander was his father, and also a jazz musician

his chess lp is fantastic!

We just mentioned Herbolzheimer once in this thread, but his lp's are really good. Which one is his best? I have some, can't recall the names right now...the Catfish is quite good and the one with inga rumpf singing a superstition cover...and one from 74, damn, cant remember the title...but he was dope, and a perfectionist....great tunes!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    We just mentioned Herbolzheimer once in this thread, but his lp's are really good. Which one is his best? I have some, can't recall the names right now...the Catfish is quite good and the one with inga rumpf singing a superstition cover...and one from 74, damn, cant remember the title...but he was dope, and a perfectionist....great tunes!!

mps:
    wide open
    waitaminute

polydor:
    live im onkel p??'s

edition panther:
    s/t

altaxon libraries

are all dope!

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

and what, no one is with me on atomic drumz???? c'mon, that's as crazy as it gets

in deed, in deed. or better yet: fo' schnitzel!

i really like the atomic drums lp. would be in my top five, but charly is from switzerland...

sonned like elroy-----my bad, I hadn't read the liner notes in a couple years where it clearly states he's from zurich, I just looked at the back and it says "printed in germany", I guess that's what stuck out

wide open

yeah, that's the one...nice LP!

Seeing his LP's on the bay, they go for more and more these days...used to get them for quite cheap, now it's almost a hype about his records...

years ago I was dj'ing a show with Ollie Teeba, I asked him about the name Herbalizer assuming it was something to do with weed, he said something like: we used to find these different records that were so awesome by this guy Herbolzeimer, and we thought the name was funny, and it became herbalizer...

Yeah, but last time they played in my hometown, they were stoned as fuck and didn't play any herbolzheimer ...but i heard that story too...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Peter Herbolzheimer is the man. Some of the best funky big band records ever made. Great arrangements, good players from all over Europe and US expatriates. Local DK heros Palle Mikkelborg, NH??P, Alex Riel and Bo Stief played in the band. Even pop/rock singer Sanne Salomonsen made an appearance on on on of the albums. Weldon Irvine mentions his version of "Mr. Clean" as one of his favorites.

I still need "Scenes", "Wide Open", "Live @ Onkel P??" and the "Galaxis(Time Travellers)" LP by The Galactic Orchestra. Damn, that's too many .

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Peter Herbolzheimer is the man. Some of the best funky big band records ever made. Great arrangements, good players from all over Europe and US expatriates. Local DK heros Palle Mikkelborg, NH??P, Alex Riel and Bo Stief played in the band. Even pop/rock singer Sanne Salomonsen made an appearance on on on of the albums. Weldon Irvine mentions his version of "Mr. Clean" as one of his favorites.

I still need "Scenes", "Wide Open", "Live @ Onkel P??" and the "Galaxis(Time Travellers)" LP by The Galactic Orchestra. Damn, that's too many .

yeah! galactic light orchestra is great too. i traded my copy to a soulstrutter years ago. bad decision. certain lions and tigers[/b] is dope too. probably his best records. with waitaminute. green witch is the schnitzel..... wild chick and mr. clean too... if you know what i mean...

herbolzheimer's rc&b is the best big band ever. THE best jazz musicians from that time. playing superb music. still underrated and still being sold for way too cheap. some copies of waitaminute were sold for only 15 euros earlier this year.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    by the way, MPS, BASF and Spiegelei have the best covers ever. Superb lamination and high quality photographs. perfect work by the printing company and the designers. you can't f**k with MPS covers. best schitt ever. schnitzelicious.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    place 4 to 5:

4) charly antolini (power dozen) - atomic drums
    5) please - s/t

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    got some records recently. manfred krug (the one with the often sampled "zelten gehen" or whatever track)

i think you're talking bout "wenn der urlaub kommt"? the one thats comped on the dusty fingers? (It's on "Du bist heute wie neu" / No. 4)

It's really a dope track and should be mentioned here.

Speaking of Dusty Fingers, there's also "Mao" by "joe Ki* Peter Thomas sound Group"
    with kinda crazy lyrics. but i don't know much about the artist...

And like Grope mentioned:
    the first Modern Soul Band Album

@Grope: did you visit modern-soul-band.de? I think it's cool, they're still active...

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

schflafen geh??n

not funky, but that??s a excellent joint. i love it

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

schflafen geh??n

that's exactly what i gonna do now.
    good night...

got some records recently. manfred krug (the one with the often sampled "zelten gehen" or whatever track)

i think you're talking bout "wenn der urlaub kommt"? the one thats comped on the dusty fingers? (It's on "Du bist heute wie neu" / No. 4)

It's really a dope track and should be mentioned here.

I think it's "Baden gehen", which is on No.2. Is not so much sampled as "wenn der urlaub kommt", but also a superbe song, arranged by Mr. G??nther Fischer who did alot of good stuff...

what about Dieter Reith? What's funky from him? i know he has alot of albums too...

i could list some good funky jazz though...

I forgot to Mention

TOBE on Brain,

and Herb Geller's Rhyme and Reason----------

and I just looked on the back of the Certain Lion's and Tiger's (mine's on Omega, so, I was thinking holland, but I forgot it was a Herbalizer album later, says it was recorded in west germany so I'll add that definately to my Schindler's lizst there Gropeski

all 3 great jazzezesz with BRAEKS from german G.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    to be ain't funky.

rhyme and reason is a german recording. i love it. it's been in my ISH feature.

i'm excited. i wonder what this thread will do to eBay.de prices. there are many soulstrut lurkers from germany. lurkers suck.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

what about Dieter Reith? What's funky from him? i know he has alot of albums too...

can't think of any funky Dieter Reith outings. open drive is pure jazz. and most other lps are bad synth pop funk. he hardly ever recorded funk tracks. either jazz or synth pop.

ingfried hoffmann is way more funky. paul nero too. doldinger in general. i also like some kraut bands. and early beat. some nice Soul Beat bands... budget labels and stuff.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

can't think of any funky Dieter Reith outings. open drive is pure jazz. and most other lps are bad synth pop funk. he hardly ever recorded funk tracks. either jazz or synth pop.

Yeah,

I listened to the "Love & Fantasy" LP a while ago and was very disappointed. I expected some heavy Herbolzheimer-style jazz-funk and all I heard were strange synth-sounds over crappy beats. I wonder why this LP is alwasy so expensive .

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

I would say "Hip Walk" (1976) and "I Hear Voices" (1978) are his funkiest LPs. "Superstition", "Save me From The City", "Feedback Brother" etc..just to many dope tracks in there. I recently aquired the "My Kind Of Sunshine" 2LP on MPS which was recorded live in Munich. This one also kicks ass from beginning to end! And yes, "Wide Open" is a facemelter, too. But it's hard to decide which Herbolzheimer LP is the best since they are all

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    fast braekbeats with congos, otherwise late 70s funk with lots of bad singing.

Hahaha maybe that's the reason why I like this LP! C'mon, "Manila Thriller" is not that baaaaaad, ok? Yes I know, there are no bad-ass drumbreaks on it, but "Please Yourself", "Good Stuff" and "Flaming Lady" for example are nice tracks...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Yeah,

I listened to the "Love & Fantasy" LP a while ago and was very disappointed. I expected some heavy Herbolzheimer-style jazz-funk and all I heard were strange synth-sounds over crappy beats. I wonder why this LP is alwasy so expensive .

KNock Out (MPS), and Hammond Explosion (BASF) I like !

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    on Brain,

Get The Ball- R.M.O.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

KNock Out (MPS), and Hammond Explosion (BASF) I like !

you're right! i forgot about hammond explosion. on cornet/basf. dope record. knockout is cool too. but i like the hammond explosion much better.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    on Brain,

Get The Ball- R.M.O.

i don't like that record. pretty overrated. there are better funky kraut/jazz records from germany. even some on brain. i really like the liberty catalogue. there's some nice kraut funk on liberty/UA. siegfried loch used to produce some funky titles on that label (liberty = siggi e. loch).