top 10 german funk

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Diffrent then the Village Callers the Please record is a german only release.

i'm not that sure. the second one was pressed in the uk and the usa too.

But to satisfy your range I'll put another one to the list.

sub is much better. even affire is more funky. the titties cover is just for that drum break. but i'm sayin'... what are we talking about? funky german prog? kraut with beats? schlager with drum breaks? cause there is hardly any german funk. i mean recorded by germans (and sung in german).

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    i'd skip on 30 one euro records just to buy Manfred Krug - Ein Hauch von Fr??hling. well, maybe even more[/b].

Perfect Record in my opinion.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

i don't think that there are any true 60s- 70s german funk records.

exploito kraut lounge funk?

• subsub 311 Posts
    thanks for all the answers!!!

heard bout this german/thai record. do you have soundclips of this one?

thanks!

jannis
    cologne

• subsub 311 Posts
    got some records recently. manfred krug (the one with the often sampled "zelten gehen" or whatever track), the knef lp with "im 80. stockwerk" (really like this one), ost. "das unsichtbare visier" (only 2 really nice tracks), james last "well kept secret" (payed one dollar, but not really interesting to me)...

thanks!

• subsub 311 Posts
    PS: fuck german schlager records with breaks...

RJD2 likes them german schlagers w breaks :-)

SC

by the way. scope: can you recommend any flea markets in cologne? the ones i went to always only have crab as far as i can judge...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    what about Randy Pie???

Randy Pie is alright, funky, but over here, all their records are way too expensive. Nothing to pay a lot of loot for. "Highway Driver" is ok. Regarding Funk in Germany, I go with Grope and say that there was no real funk, but alot of music was recorded with "funky" moments. Regarding Manfred Krug, tracks like "Wenns draussen gr??n wird", "Baden gehn" or "Wenn der urlaub kommt" are straight classics in my book which I grew up on (my parents were krugfans ) Other than that, no real funkclassics from Germany come to mind. Just be on the lookout...I remember some sitar album which Grope named a few threads ago that should be really funky. But I also cannot come up with a top 10 of "real funk", as alot of it seems like "hidden funk"....also check the doldinger comp, has some decent tracks on it and chris doerk with "Glaub nicht" which is pretty funky...niagara rules, but is not funk per se as well...still need sub and affire though...still, there is a lot of just good music coming from this part of the world...

• subsub 311 Posts
    which randy pie lp is recommended?

which randy pie lp is recommended?

Check for "Highway Driver" (good to ok) and "Kitsch" (ok)...I just have a "best of" of them and one track on there is really cool...apart from that, I don't know any other records of them...but it's not really a sound comparable to the meters or james brown or something...but Kravetz had his funky moments...

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    fuck this shit, you guys are a bunch of bush beaters---I don't have the deepest crates or anything, but here's my top 10 german breaks, from raer to not so raer but D.A.F.(dope as fuch)

1.)Charly Antolini---Atomic Drums

2.)Niagara s/t

3.)Can ege Bamyasi

4.)Nowy 2

5.)Jonathan---I like it, others don't, check one of the songs on side 2 if the break ain't doin it for you

6.)Dave Kamien Division---Terra Contact

7.)amon duul 2---almost alive----peep "hallelujah" for one of the best rock tracks with multiple breaks ever (different than Can's "hallelujah" on Tago Mago, which is also as essential as ege bamyasi)----also peep almost alive and hijack for breaks on other amom duul records

8.)Birth Control---Hoodoo Man-----first track "buy!" --slammin rock drums

9.)Message---s/t and using the head---got one of the illest loops on the first one, and on using the head I think you get 2 breaks

10.)Please---manilla thriller---whilst their other is more coveted, this one also on telefunken (what a dope name for a label btw)--- playin "ego trippin" on a dance floor will never do anyone wrong, and since it was included in "death mix"---making it one of the OG GERMAN BREAKS to cop 2 copies of (obviously excluding Trans Europe Express).

also, if you are into library records check orchestra Gary pacific, as I believe they are german but am not 100% suretain.

real headz know the schnitzel

• spcspc 534 Posts
    my favorite jazzy/funky/drama/krautrock in my (small) collection are:

Günther Fischer + Uschi Büning "Konzertmitschnitt" (means live recording, mid 70s)
    Günther Fischer-Quintet "Kombinationen" (a real killer, with some dusty fingers style tracks on it)
    "City Calling" and "Action & Tension & Space" from the Selected Sound library
    Manfred Krug "Lieder von dr??ben"
    all the 70s Passports
    Klaus Lenz Big Band "Aufbruch"
    Magma - forgot the name, the one with the cover where they have those long trousers on, looks dope!

a 70s comp called Quadro-Pop-Show with a superdope track by Roundhouse
    called "Alchemy is good for you" (listen: www.wounderlabs.de/alchemy.mp3" ,I
    got doubles of that, if anybody wants to swap some german stuff

Here is a german-only half-hour mix I did for friends of sound:
    http://www.friendsofsound.com/6/quadro.mp3

(I also made this one, but there is only a small track from the action & tension & space record on it, before the kool keith track: http://www.friendsofsound.com/5/toploader.mp3)

Does perhaps anyone know if there is a soundtrack to the german movie "ich - ein groupie"? I love that first song "liar" or something, really dope!

@Scope: How is that Daisy Door?

fuck this shit, you guys are a bunch of bush beaters

You didnt get the point...of course there are alot of superbe breaks and stuff, but name one album that is pure heat throughout...I am not talking about rock breaks which are funky, or funky schlager, or jazzy funk like that message album, I am talking about somehting that is pure heat from start to finish. Not existing in Germany, mind you...but you are right, all the stuff in your top ten are dope, but I wouldn't say that Birth Control for example is funky...and the thread started with a request for "Top Ten Funk" songs, not breaks...but whateva, I don't wanna continue hairsplitting...life is music...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

1.)Charly Antolini---Atomic Drums

2.)Niagara s/t

3.)Can ege Bamyasi

4.)Nowy 2

5.)Jonathan---I like it, others don't, check one of the songs on side 2 if the break ain't doin it for you

6.)Dave Kamien Division---Terra Contact

7.)amon duul 2---almost alive----peep "hallelujah" for one of the best rock tracks with multiple breaks ever (different than Can's "hallelujah" on Tago Mago, which is also as essential as ege bamyasi)----also peep almost alive and hijack for breaks on other amom duul records

8.)Birth Control---Hoodoo Man-----first track "buy!" --slammin rock drums

9.)Message---s/t and using the head---got one of the illest loops on the first one, and on using the head I think you get 2 breaks

10.)Please---manilla thriller---

also, if you are into library records check orchestra Gary pacific, as I believe they are german but am not 100% suretain.

jonathan (for what? the drum break - it stinks)???
    niagara (s/t = not quite; sub = yes)???
    amon duul???
    birth control???
    message (recordkingz craziness... the record sucks)????????????????
    nowy "2" (nowy recorded much much better records)???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    can??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

it's not gary pacific, but wolfram bruhnke!

kamien is the only record i like a bit. most old herbolzheimer records are better though.

and can is cool, of course.

PS: I'm just kidding. your top ten is allright. i just don't know any german funk. i could list some good funky jazz though...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You didnt get the point...of course there are alot of superbe breaks and stuff, but name one album that is pure heat throughout...I am not talking about rock breaks which are funky, or funky schlager, or jazzy funk like that message album, I am talking about somehting that is pure heat from start to finish. Not existing in Germany, mind you...but you are right, all the stuff in your top ten are dope, but I wouldn't say that Birth Control for example is funky...and the thread started with a request for "Top Ten Funk" songs, not breaks...but whateva, I don't wanna continue hairsplitting...life is music...

wyzewayz is looking for beef. let's get it on.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    How is that Daisy Door?

http://rapidshare.de/files/22382040/Daisy_Door_-_Du_lebst_in_deiner_welt.MP3.html

nice beginning, but after a minute it gets boring IMO!

hmmh, like some others mentioned above, if you lookin for some straight ahead funk tunes, it??s really hard to find some. some nice little breaks here and there, but full songs that make the crowd go wild. mmmh, i have to think twice.

top 1:

can??s vitamin c

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    How is that Daisy Door?

http://rapidshare.de/files/22382040/Daisy_Door_-_Du_lebst_in_deiner_welt.MP3.html

hmmh, like some others mentioned above, if you lookin for some straight ahead funk tunes, it??s really hard to find some. some nice little breaks here and there, but full songs that make the crowd go wild. mmmh, i have to think twice.

top 1:

can??s vitamin c

here are my top three (Switzerland and Austria included):
    1) Kadri Six
    2) Dee Dee, Barry & The Movements
    3) TRIP (more jazzy than funky, but whatever...)

• spcspc 534 Posts
    How is that Daisy Door?

top 1:

can??s vitamin c

Thanks!

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

wyzewayz is looking for beef. let's get it on.

I guess my opening statement was a little aggressive

I just meant, "c'mon, let's get some records on this thread"

and what, no one is with me on atomic drumz???? c'mon, that's as crazy as it gets

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

and what, no one is with me on atomic drumz???? c'mon, that's as crazy as it gets

in deed, in deed. or better yet: fo' schnitzel!

i really like the atomic drums lp. would be in my top five, but charly is from switzerland...

3) TRIP (more jazzy than funky, but whatever...)

dope, "weisser sand" is a helluva track....got the og for a reasonable price a few years ago...

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    Magma - forgot the name, the one with the cover where they have those long trousers on, looks dope!

... magma was a french band

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    10.)Please---manilla thriller---whilst their other is more coveted, this one also on telefunken

I've never seen that as a DE Telefunken issue, only the first self-titled. All the copies of "Manila Thriller" I've had/seen were on US London Records. Does the Telefunken pressing have the same goofy cover?:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    10.)Please---manilla thriller---whilst their other is more coveted, this one also on telefunken

I've never seen that as a DE Telefunken issue, only the first self-titled. All the copies of "Manila Thriller" I've had/seen were on US London Records. Does the Telefunken pressing have the same goofy cover?:

and i still got this one up for trade if you need it dawg:

HOLLA

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

... magma was a french band

maurice vander, right?

top 1:

can??s vitamin c

as far as a consistent song throughout, yeah, I agree with you...one of the best "dark funky" songs that came out of Germany...

maurice vander, right?

Christian Vander.

Uboo -> I've had several of both Please elpees over the years, but thanks anyway

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

you got a soundclip of this one? never heard it actually....

check the ultimate breaks and beats comps... one of those has dance with me (dancing girl???) or whatever that track is called from the s/t...

the manila thriller is actually pretty bad. tepid turd funk. fast braekbeats with congos, otherwise late 70s funk with lots of bad singing.

check the ultimate breaks and beats comps... one of those has dance with me (dancing girl???) or whatever that track is called from the s/t...

the manila thriller is actually pretty bad. tepid turd funk. fast braekbeats with congos, otherwise late 70s funk with lots of bad singing.

Their version of "Sing A Simple Song" is on UBB #6. And yes, "Manila Thriller" is pretty snoozy.

• subsub 311 Posts
    ok. so i'll ne on the lookout for the first one. thanks!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Their version of "Sing A Simple Song" is on UBB #6. And yes, "Manila Thriller" is pretty snoozy.

they didn't put dancing girl on there?! with the big drum break? it's one of my favorite drum breaks. such a heavy sound. i love that song. the singing gets annoying after a while, but the first minute is absolutely fantastic! the should have put that song on the comp...