World Cup Bastards Speak Up!!! (Brits stand up!)

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    It's Deja Vu all over again - Remember Beckham "Scything down" that gaucho in 1998? Went on to a draw, out on penalties (of course).

Rooney overreacted and deserved to walk. No doubt. He has to grow up and keep a lid on it. Gary Lineker played 16 years and never got as much as a yellow.

The anger is with Ronaldo's wink and headbutt to Rooney preceding this. And the usual "Get him off" complaints to the ref after every tackle. Rooney apparently is going to "Split him in two" if Ronaldo gets back to Manchester.

Let's see what Sir Alex says...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've been avoiding any discussion of the England/Portugal game in too much detail for fear of coming off as a little bitter, but there are a few points which are worth raising.

1) If you stamp on an opposing defender's bollocks and then get involved in a shoving match with one of his teammates in full view of the referee, then you are going to get a red card. Cristiano Ronaldo may well be an arrogant, cheating, showboating twat, but none of that had anything to do with Rooney getting sent off.

2) After Lampard's inevitable penalty miss, Stevie Gerrard's expression alone should have been enough to tell you that he wasn't going to be able to convert his effort either. It could only ever end one way after that. Much as I love Jamie Carragher, he's no penalty taker and never will be. It says a lot for Eriksson's much-vaunted forward planning on penalties that he'd even consider a player who doesn't take penalties for his club, and has only scored for them three times in his entire career, for such a high-pressure task.

3) Cristiano Ronaldo seems to think he won't be playing for Manchester United next season, and will instead be going to Real Madrid. It'll be interesting to see if Alex Ferguson shares that view. The United dressing room might be a little tougher to manage if he does stay at OT, and he can expect his usual warm welcome from opposition fans wherever United go, but with much more hostility. I wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two English-born defenders who tried to make a name for themselves by clattering him every time he got the ball.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts

2) After Lampard's inevitable penalty miss, Stevie Gerrard's expression alone should have been enough to tell you that he wasn't going to be able to convert his effort either.

That was the moment I knew the jig was up....

Also, I totally agree on everyone's view of the Rooney sending off. He's a fool, plain and simple, can't blame that on anyone else. I'd be very surprised to see young naldo back at OT next season though. Unsurprisingly The Sun is reporting today that he'll be kicked out of United for his 'non footballing' antics in that match. All very dramatic I'm sure, but also plainly bollocks. He'll leave because he'll get paid more at Real, and won't have to put up with the physical side of the premiership, that I think he struggles with.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah it seemed to take forever for Gerrard to get to the penalty area for his penalty, looked like the walk of a doomed man.

I think Ronaldo has made his bed now as far as leaving Man U is concerned. Ferguson doesn't normally take any dissent lightly to put it mildly so I don't see him keeping him at the club. Plus he can actually make a good deal on Ronaldo (who will never be world class in the premiership) and make back some of the money he's lost on the planned sale of Ruud after the horse's poor world cup.

Funny that the English press have decided to vilify Ronaldo and leave Rooney alone - mind you, Eriksson hasn't blamed the whole team's loss on one player as Hoddle did in 98....

I just wish that this poor performance was going to herald a new dawn in English football but I fear Mclaren's changes to the team and they way we play will be basic at best.

So who should get the job?

Big Sam? Stuart Pearce?

So who should get the job?

Big Sam? Stuart Pearce?

Yeah that seems to be the big problem really, we've got a severe lack of decent candidates. I always quite fancied getting in Big Phil but after seeing the kind of football he's encouraged Portugal to play in this tournament I've gone off the idea.

I just don't see Red Head Steve surviving in the job past Euro 2008 at the latest though reports that he's building a decent backroom staff (Venebles etc) do offer me some hope.

Also, if Stuart Pearce gets the job then the England team will offically be dead to me.

Are you a red then?

Are you a red then?

I fear confirmation of my team will cause instant undermining of my points for many football lovers on here so I'll remain on that at the moment.

Ignoring Pearce's dubious charms I just don't see how a man with such a little amount of managerial experience and absolutely no experience of the kind of pressures that come with the England job can be considered a front runner for the position. I know Klinsmann and Van Basten have shown that the move from international player to international manager needn't take forever I just think we need a safer pair of hands at the current time to avoid a repeat of the Keegan debacle.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    [Frings is doing fine. But where is Germany's midfield? .

hope frings has a good back up
    looks like he may miss the next round

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Are you a red then?

Notts County, surely?

I fear confirmation of my team will cause instant undermining of my points for many football lovers on here so I'll remain on that at the moment.

Ditto. County? No, I am not from Notts - just happen to live here!

Bit of a blow for Germany.......

Frings suspended

Germany midfielder Torsten Frings will miss Tuesday's World Cup semi-final with Italy after being suspended by Fifa.

Frings was involved in the scuffle involving a number of players following Germany's quarter final win over Argentina last Friday.

Argentine duo Maxi Rodriguez and Leandro Cufre were both charged by Fifa for their involvement in the incident.

All German players were initially cleared by Fifa of any wrongdoing, but they have decided to act after Frings was caught on television aiming a blow at Argentina striker Julio Cruz.

Frings heard his case on Monday and the Werder Bremen midfielder pleaded not guilty to the charge.

However, Fifa have found Frings guilty of violent conduct and he will be forced to miss the clash with Italy.

The news is a blow for Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann as Frings has been instrumental in helping Germany reach the semi-finals.

Seems strange to ban him for one match. Either take proper action or none at all.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Sigh!
    Oh well. Frings kinda hit the the Argentinian player, and that was worng. But he was hit right before he punched. A reaction. An emational act. I don't know if it's right to ban him for the semi finals. A tough decision. Sounds a little strange to me, but I guess Germany has to deal with it. I'm not happy that an Italian TV channel brought the whole thing up. What was the FIFA doing? Sleeping? They have 30+ cameras in each stadium...

Kehl will probably play for Frings. Kehl plays for Borussia Dortmund. He was once one of the biggest talents in Europe. Many clubs were interested in him. He kinda went under in Dortmund, because Borussia had a lot of trouble. Kehl is a great player, but he tends to have at least one weak sene in each match. I don't know if he can replace Frings. Hopefully, he comes out on top.

I'd like to see Borowski play for Schneider though. Borwoski and Kehl combined could replace Frings more easily. Borowski is killing it anyway. He's cool!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Well, my predictions for the second day of quarterfinals were 100 percent. 100 percent wrong. I didn't have the opportunity to watch the Brazil-France match, but it sounds like France deserved the result tremendously.

As for the England-Portgual match, I will second the previous sentiment (was it you Dr. Wu?) that we should invite Argentina back to replace Portugal, as neither team displayed excellence in their match.

Going into the semifinals, here are my predictions:

Italy 1, Germany 0.
    I don't think Klose and Ballack and co. will be able to solve the Italian keeper. He's been one of the standouts of the tournament. Lehman has been good, too, but he hasn't had to face that many shots.

France 2, Portugal 0.
    Portugal barely made it to the semis, and France made it by soaring past the reigning champion and odds-on favorite. Look for them to continue their run here.

Grope - keep cheering your team on, ignore all the b.s. I love partisan sports fans, and none are more partisan than me.

TRAILBLAZERS 4 LIFE. WORST TO FIRST! 82-0 BEEEEEYOTCHES!
    JRootRootRootforthehometeam

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I don't know if it's right to ban him for the semi finals. A tough decision. Sounds a little strange to me, but I guess Germany has to deal with it. I'm not happy that an Italian TV channel brought the whole thing up. What was the FIFA doing? Sleeping? They have 30+ cameras in each stadium...

Can someone pleaes explain this? when figo did his headbuttthing against holland, were "the sun2 and the english team back in to get him suspended for the next match? No, cause that's on some snitchin shit...Italy deserves to get grilled for that move, seriously...that country and their football is seriously effed up imho...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Grope - keep cheering your team on, ignore all the b.s. I love partisan sports fans, and none are more partisan than me.

Thanks! I appreciate your comment.

Although I'm not THAT patriotic. I like those "foreign" teams too. I wouldn't mind to see another team win the cup at all. I like any team playing good soccer. I love sports!

I was just getting a little upset, because people started to say some silly stuff. Smart-assing around. Telling me that I was exaggerating and not knowing what's going on. I thought that was cheap.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I didn't have the opportunity to watch the Brazil-France match, but it sounds like France deserved the result tremendously.

Zidane played like a champ. This is my first world cup to really, really follow france, and i regret not paying more attention in '98 when dude was apparently at the top of his game.

But, i too was assuming brazil would win the cup (even though france has been my favorite team, see page 1 of thread).

If i had to put money on it (Italy, can you hear me...ahem), i would think that France and Germany are gonna make it to the finals, with Germany coming out on top.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• I don't know if it's right to ban him for the semi finals. A tough decision. Sounds a little strange to me, but I guess Germany has to deal with it. I'm not happy that an Italian TV channel brought the whole thing up. What was the FIFA doing? Sleeping? They have 30+ cameras in each stadium...

Can someone pleaes explain this? when figo did his headbuttthing against holland, were "the sun2 and the english team back in to get him suspended for the next match? No, cause that's on some snitchin shit...Italy deserves to get grilled for that move, seriously...that country and their football is seriously effed up imho...

The italian snakes allready payed the referee in their match against Australia for the unjustified penalty in the last second. Now they made an offer to the FIFA which they couldn't refuse. Thats fucked up mafia style and they deserve to loose now. By the way they play ugly football as well.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

The italian snakes allready payed the referee in their match against Australia for the unjustified penalty in the last second. Now they made an offer to the FIFA which they couldn't refuse. Thats fucked up mafia style and they deserve to loose now. By the way they play ugly football as well.

You're acting like the Argentinian fans after the Germany vs. Argentinia match. Don't hate on Italy. There's no way that they payed the referee.
    I don't think that the Italians have anything to do with the suspension of Frings. Frings did a mistake. The decision to ban him was tough. I guess it's because Frings is playing for Germany and the FIFA didn't want to look suspicious (supporting the home team). They had to punish Frings. The press would have gone crazy otherwise.
    The Italian team is cool. Unless they're playing unfair again, leave them alone

Germany vs. Italy: 3-1

Italy: 2 red cards (5 yellow cards at least)
    Germany: 2 yellow cards

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

Italy vs. Germany: 3-1

Germany 2 red cards (5 yellow cards at least)
    Italy: 2 yellow cards

i just hope for plenty o' skill & passion

hoping france lifts the cup on sunday !

France will outscore Portugal in normal time.
    The Italians will go for a 0-0 and lose on pens.

1-0 France in the final.

??80 for Jimster as I got France in the sweepstake at work.

• I don't think that the Italians have anything to do with the suspension of Frings.

Thats not correct. First the Fifa didn't do anything. Not until Sunday an italian TV Station send filmings of the fights to the Fifa and then the Fifa started the procedure. So an italian TV station initiated the procedure.

Even Julio Cruz, "the victim" said in the "Gazzetta dello Sport" that he didn't felt a punch in the face.

(Here is my source in german: http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_189719.html )

Furthermore, here you see the first punch of Cruz

And then the reaction of Frings

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't think that the Italians have anything to do with the suspension of Frings.

Thats not correct. First the Fifa didn't do anything. Not until Sunday an italian TV Station send filmings of the fights to the Fifa and then the Fifa started the procedure. So an italian TV station initiated the procedure.

yeah, but it doesn't have anything to do with the italian team. it was a private tv channel. not the team or the italian soccer association.

frings still hit cruz, so he did sth wrong. but suspending him is tough.
    what about the italian players? they hit others in the face during the italy - usa game. mc bride was bleeding seriously. did that guy get suspended? i still think that the fifa overreacted. but what's the hell. it is how it is. they decided to ban frings. tough call, but hey, germany can still beat italy.

i'm really looking forward to watching the game. go germany. go italy. hopefully, we'll see a good match. i don't think that we're going to see too many offensive action, but that doesn't matter...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

what about the italian players? they hit others in the face during the italy - usa game. mc bride was bleeding seriously. did that guy get suspended?

De Rossi got 4 games and is out until the final.

Co-sign on the hoping for a fun and open style semis and finals. Good luck, thought, with the teams that are playing.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!

Juventus --> relegation to third league
    AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio --> down to second!

What will happen to all those superstars? I wouldn't mind to see them in the Bundesliga next season. But I suppose they'll join a Premier Leauge club. Abramovic, pull out your wallet!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

what about the italian players? they hit others in the face during the italy - usa game. mc bride was bleeding seriously. did that guy get suspended?

De Rossi got 4 games and is out until the final.

Wow. I didn't know that.

I think that a punishment against Frings is OK.
    No need for violence and unfair play (although I think it was more like a reflex after being hit himself)!

Hopefully, the remaining games will be fun to watch.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The Italians are BALLIN' the germans in this first half so far... AYO!!!

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    the italians are our "angstgegner"
    but we ll manage
    go germany

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The Italians are BALLIN' the germans in this first half so far... AYO!!!

WHUT? HUH?